From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perky Shae Lynn

Oh I love Billie Eilish. But the pointless arm flapping, whether it's set to Billie or Chopin, annoys the heck out of me. Smooth and thoughtful movements, that's what I want. Which ain't happening with DG at the helm.

Last edited:

oleada

Are we sure it’s the girls that listen to Billie Eilish and not Danil? I remember the controversy with Alina’s exhibition, and she seemed to have very little connection to that music or song. I always wondered if that was his idea. Kos, of course, can sell any program. She really is a very special skater and definitely the most talented Eteri and crew have ever had. No doubt she will make this work.
Liza Khudaiberdieva posted a ton of insta stories of going to a Billie Elijah Concert in Moscow, and a few other skaters were with her (can’t remember who) so it doesn’t seem out of the realm of possibility

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Billie Eilish's fan base definitely has a large 'young teen girl' contingent. I'm not at all surprised that we are seeing a lot of programs using her music from the younger girls.

starrynight

I remember watching the start of the Zagitova exh due to the plagiarism drama and the song just sounded like a heap of mumbling. So it never stuck with me at all. Not like the ear worms that One Direction or Justin Bieber etc produced to make them famous.

Tinami Amori

Who the heck is Billie Eilish.
Billie Eilish is VERY popular in Russia among teenagers and young adults..... She was on the music charts for about 2 years (and still is if a new album). Her comments to the press and interviews in USA in english are frequently translated in Russian publications. Half a year ago she came to Russia to perform and became even more popular. Kids knew every word of her every song.

Besides Zagi's Bad Guy gala, later Meda skated to another song for her gala. Very likely Kostorka wants to join the club... :D

Amy L

Vladimir said they bought plane tickets four different times before they were actually able to go anywhere (they couldn't transfer through Europe). They returned to Florida in order to work with Marina and get their new programs.

He has a very funky looking quarantine beard. That thing needs to go away ASAP. :yikes:

Sylvia

TBD

Perky Shae Lynn

Florida is the worst place to be in at the moment.
We are currently living in South Tampa as my kids train here. Both skating and hockey practices have been on for a while. People are wearing face coverings, but other than that it's been business as usual. We know many people that tested positive, including a bunch of my son's teammates and a coach. The coach was the only one with any symptoms. We constantly hear about someone testing positive, but thank heavens everyone is ok... Hope it stays that way.

Bigbird

We are currently living in South Tampa as my kids train here. Both skating and hockey practices have been on for a while. People are wearing face coverings, but other than that it's been business as usual. We know many people that tested positive, including a bunch of my son's teammates and a coach. The coach was the only one with any symptoms. We constantly hear about someone testing positive, but thank heavens everyone is ok... Hope it stays that way.
Come on, is there no one in Russia that could put together a decent program in these times? Really? Not even Zhulin? There might not even be a season..

Marco

I feel like what happened last year with Alena K was that a lot of people loved her style and package and felt the short program fitted perfectly, and thus 'tolerated' the free skate. I am one of those. I simply felt that her elegance and maturity didn't quite fit the youthful energy and modern choreography.

This new Lovely medley program almost seems like a repeat of last year's free skate, concept wise. Granted we only get to see sniplets for now - I don't know if this is the kind of programs that she should be trying for. Sasha T, with her youthful energy and spunk, probably suits these kinds of programs better. Alas she is no longer there. :p

Perky Shae Lynn

Come on, is there no one in Russia that could put together a decent program in these times? Really? Not even Zhulin? There might not even be a season..
Come on what? I provided some insight on the situation in the area where T/M are currently training. Since I am right here, every day. Without any judgement on whether it was the right decisions or not. But yes, there are people in Russia can put together a program. There are also other considerations for skaters such as significant others, and attending to basic things (leased apartments, cars, bills, mail, etc). People do what they need to do, for themselves and their families.

Last edited:

mjb52

Is that Krylova on the far left? For a second I thought it was Monko (of course it is far too early), which is funny as they don't particularly look alike.

Amy L

Is that Krylova on the far left? For a second I thought it was Monko (of course it is far too early), which is funny as they don't particularly look alike.

Yes, that's Krylova. The only person I didn't recognize was Averbukh. I'm so used to him having a beard that I forgot that at one time he was clean-shaven :lol:

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Lol, everyone is so formal and so black and then there is Kazakova with her polka dots and Lobacheva. I first thought it was Lobacheva/Averbukh wedding photo

Sylvia

TBD
Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy are getting a new (Junior, I assume) RD Free Dance (eta: and keeping their Bonnie & Clyde RD) according to Alexander Svinin:

My apologies (especially to @Jeschke) - I misunderstood the machine translation.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Shanaeva/Naryzhnyy are getting a new (Junior, I assume) RD according to Alexander Svinin:
Ah no, I really liked their Bonnie & Clyde :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information