From Russia With Love [#37]: Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanca

Values her privacy
As long as they don't get sick along the way.
This is a time to gently improve and work at your leisure since there's no pressure to compete. Silver lining maybe?
Considering the level of competition in some of the disciplines (e.g. ladies), I doubt anyone will be taking it easy. The home competition might be harder than the international competition.

ninalovesskating

Was thinking of possible partners for Vadym Kolesnik since he said he wants to look for a partner outside USA & I thought of Eva Kuts... Lovely skater, she was a JGP medalist & finished 5th in 2019 Junior RusNats. I think they'd make a good pair... same age, good height difference, good match with skills.

Tinami Amori

Ka3sha

If anyone is interested, Lina Fedorova announced an interview with Nikita Katsalapov tomorrow, at 6 pm Moscow time

Also,
International figure skating competitions may not take place this year. Russia is preparing for the Cup and the national championship

https://m.sport-express.ru/figure-s...ovitsya-k-kubku-i-chempionatu-strany-1688085/
Aleksandr Kogan denied this information and said that Russian skaters are still preparing for international events. The Fed plans to held junior test skates in August and senior test skates in Setember, just as usual.

DobrinFan

Aleksandr Kogan denied this information and said that Russian skaters are still preparing for international events. The Fed plans to held junior test skates in August and senior test skates in Setember, just as usual.

And were is St. Pete with ice? Last I checked, Kutovoi didn't have any. Will be interesting to see what happens to assignments if test skates happen in a month. Kid has been off the ice for 3 months and Semenenko and Lutfullin are just about to leave quarantine.

Bigbird

And were is St. Pete with ice? Last I checked, Kutovoi didn't have any. Will be interesting to see what happens to assignments if test skates happen in a month. Kid has been off the ice for 3 months and Semenenko and Lutfullin are just about to leave quarantine.

What sense does that make when the playing field is so uneven...they do realize the value of equity with respect to team spirit right?

starrynight

It's all very strange. Only a very select few skaters were given access to ice in Novogorsk and all the others have been without it. It will be a pretty rough test skate if skaters are turning up with only several weeks of training after months off ice.

I would be interested in knowing if funding from the government requires all of these events to be pencilled in and for it to be insisted that international competitions will occur.

mjb52

The test skates aren't a competition though, right? They are theoretically supposed to be an opportunity to get feedback from the federation or judges (not sure which) on programs, so that participating would have value even for skaters who are earlier in the process than others? But even if that's right, which I'm not sure about, I could see how it would be hard for those skaters to see it that way. And I guess a lot of skaters are keeping their old programs anyway. Is there any news about the Perm skaters and where they are at with ice?

DobrinFan

The test skates aren't a competition though, right? They are theoretically supposed to be an opportunity to get feedback from the federation or judges (not sure which) on programs, so that participating would have value even for skaters who are earlier in the process than others? But even if that's right, which I'm not sure about, I could see how it would be hard for those skaters to see it that way. And I guess a lot of skaters are keeping their old programs anyway. Is there any news about the Perm skaters and where they are at with ice?

For juniors it's an opportunity to earn a JGP which is why I only mentioned Kutovoi, Lutfullin and Semenenko. At least Lutfullin and Semenenko will have 4 weeks or so of ice, but Kutovoi is still without AFAIK.

starrynight

For juniors it's an opportunity to earn a JGP which is why I only mentioned Kutovoi, Lutfullin and Semenenko. At least Lutfullin and Semenenko will have 4 weeks or so of ice, but Kutovoi is still without AFAIK.

Isn't half of the Junior Grand Prix series cancelled anyway though?

I would hope at least that if they insist on holding test skates with very inequitable conditions that they are fully closed. I expect that will be the case. Traditionally, the Russian Test skates have been like the Hunger Games, but I don't think that's reasonable now.

DobrinFan

Isn't half of the Junior Grand Prix series cancelled anyway though?

I would hope at least that if they insist on holding test skates with very inequitable conditions that they are fully closed. I expect that will be the case. Traditionally, the Russian Test skates have been like the Hunger Games, but I don't think that's reasonable now.

They are not discussing JGP until Monday. Until then, there are still 5 taking place...and all the rest of the junior/novice boys, including the reserves have ice except my baby boy.

starrynight

Hungary still has its borders closed to all countries except EU nations. So that would exclude Russia and the USA, China, Japan, Canada. So it will depend on whether that will change any time soon.

As far as I can tell, Czech Republic is not letting in USA residents (not sure about Russia).

Slovakia isn't allowing entrants outside of Europe - so that counts out Canada, China, Japan, USA. But perhaps Russia can compete - but the athletes will need to take a test and quarantine until the results are returned.

In respect of Latvia - EU countries (except those with high infections such as Sweden) can travel freely, the rest need 14 days of quarantine. USA, Canada, Japan, China etc banned. No mention of Russia's status anywhere that i can find.

So.

If the JGP events proceed and things remain kind of the same, it may end up being a European Union competition. Without USA, Canada, China, Japan and potentially Russia in some places.

Then the difficulty is probably that so many athletes - like a lot of the European Union ice dancers - are based in the USA and Canada. Some of them might need to relocate home before attending any competitions that proceed.

Perhaps this season could be like those Olympics with big boycotts - skaters from small European Union feds could find themselves winning things they normally never would. Whether the big feds would be happy with this remains to be seen. It would be a flex if Russia could insert its skaters into competitions where Canada, USA, Japan and China were excluded. All the competition would be wiped out. Handy for ranking points.

I can see why some would want competitons under these conditions to proceed, it would be very politically advantageous for some feds -- but a bit disastrous for others.

Last edited:

mjb52

Tried to listened to it but my Internet connection was quite poor and I got distracted few times.
Anyway,

-Nikita, your most disappointed fails?
- Pfff, thousands (but chose 2019 Euros) :lol:

I was hoping you would summarize it for us :) but I did just see a quote from him in the broadcast about Vika that was really lovely.

Ka3sha

Interview with Igor Shpilband

And from that Lina Fedorova’s interview with Nikita, the parts I had a chance to
He loves social media and Instagram, but after 2014 and the fans reaction/comments don’t like to post a lot in his own page - better to just share some pics with your friends directly rather than read negative hateful comments. Victoria encourages him to start posting, so maybe one day he will.
(given some comments during this interview, his position is justified - there were some “you are still in love with Elena”, “you are no one without her” types of comments :shuffle:)

During the quarantine he read a lot about finance and investing, watched tv series and old skating programs to look for some interesting ideas and elements.
Now they are skating again, super excited about it, choreographing new free dance - it’s a completely new style for them, they haven’t tried anything like it before.

He says that back in 201he was super ambitious and they wanted to win and prove everyone etc , so they made mistakes. But you have to calm down and understand that you won’t be able to show ‘more’ on competitive ice, only what you have worked on during practices. And now he hoped he has finally realized this.

About Victoria:
“Vika is the kindest person ever, maybe just for me and her close ones, but she truly is. She doesn’t know how to lie at all, this is her huge strength. It’s easy to live when you don’t have to explain anything to anyone and speak as you think, as you see and don’t lie.
She's a super hardworking person. And I am
talking not only about figure skating. She always has a plan, she always knows what to do, she hates to miss something.
For example If the weather is good and I'm tired, I can just lie around at home, but she will definitely have a great day and for her benefit. I adore Vika. I learn a lot from her, she is so wise.”

Now if they argue during practices - it’s only some objective critique and not rushed and screaming at each other. They take time (10 minutes), calm down and start working again.

About Zhulin:
“I found my coach. Aleksandr Vyacheslavovich sculpted me from the scratch once again, sculpted my head from the inside. I understood that if this doesn’t work, then I may have problems in professional sports. And we are no longer a young couple. So I listened to every word of our coach. The boss - is one love.”
He also said that they have great relationship with Tchaikovskaya and she sometimes comes to the rink. He loves her. And he also agrees with TAT’s words that “Zhulin is Katsalapov’s last dock”. Those words resonated with him and made think.

Most memorable career moments: 2010 JWC, Euros in Bern, 2014 Olympics, SD at 2015 Skate America, first Russian National title and 2020 Euros.

Can’t choose between Olympic bronze and Euros gold - it’s like to different lives.

They don’t know if they retire after Beijing - with current situation when everything may change in a second it’s hard to tell. They are now thinking about Olympics and that’s it. If it was someone else, he would have recommend to retire probably , but for himself he just simple doesn’t know.
Nikita isn’t sure about coaching , but he likes the choreographing process and would like to try it.

Feel free to add, since I could have easily missed something :)

happycamper2554

Will someone give me a summary of what they each said. Yes its dumb but it's not like we have anything better to do

Ka3sha

Will someone give me a summary of what they each said. Yes its dumb but it's not like we have anything better to do
Lina: What’s about your personal life? Are you two together? Or sport is the most important thing right now?
Victoria: I will say it that way - let’s keep private life private. Let people think whatever they want, but sport is the first place for us now.

Lina: Are you together off the ice?
Nikita: What did Vika say?
Lina: Don’t remember
Nikita: Aaah, then I won’t give an answer too. (both laughing)
Lina: Well, she didn’t give a direct answer. Said let’s keep it private. But Nikita, you can’t imagine how many questions like this I got..
Nikita: And that’s why it’s so good
Lina: Ok, you also didn’t answer!
Nikita: But you know that I love her the most, right? it’s enough for you to know
Lina: So we got it (laughing)
Nikita: What did you get? I just said I love her.

He also said some nice stuff throughout the interview like “I have always believed in her and she brought us to this Euro’s gold”, “it’s impossible not to love her” and etc.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Has Savosin switched to Butsaeva too or why is he with all the Volchkova-boys at practice?
Is she the new meeting point of promising RUS junior guys not making it into seniors? :drama:

Last edited by a moderator:

DobrinFan

Has Savosin switched to Butsaeva too or way is he with all the Volchkova-boys at practice?
Is she the new meeting point of promising RUS junior guys not making it into seniors? :drama:

He's always with them, especially Murashov. They are BFF.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information