From Russia With Love (#36) Spring into Summer 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Alina Zagitova, as @SHISEIDO’s ambassador send the following message/english

Zagitova/Gleikh - joint off-ice exercise.

Short Japanese clip for TV.

Masaru....... waiting for xxxxxxx to end.....

all the lucky pets who are hugged by Zagitova.

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

Alina Zagitova's Cosmopolitan interview - 5th page - english translation.

Alina Zagitova - Cosmopolitan.ru/Puma Fashion/sport clothes spread.

Alina in a "price is right" game hosted by Cosmopolitan. She is asked to look at 2 similar items, and pick one with the
higher price. She ties, 50/50 - but the samon-nigiri sushi and red lipstick she picks right :D

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
As for what she has to lose - I actually think it is not a terrible tragedy for Alina to lose to stronger competitors. How many time she said I am happy to be second/third, since tomorrow I may not be top three at all. She knew very well who is coming up and in particular looked very happy to be in third place at GPF after the short program. I think if she trains well and goes back to her best form she may fight for the third spot at nationals. Trusova did not look unbeatable at all at her last two competitions last year.
Trusova was beatable in the SP - no 3A, questionable choreography and 2nd mark. If she learns her 3A she will be unbeatable. At least for Zagitova. Kostornaya and Tuktamysheva will still be a competition and my money would be on Kostornaya. IIRC Samodurova's 3A was quite close as well, so perhaps Samodurova.
Zagitova looked quite ok after the SP, but boy, was she not happy after the LP. Somehow I doubt she will want to go through that after LP again and this is what expects her at the nationals, just worse- it will not be Kihira and Tennel, but given clean skates - Guliakova, Tuktamysheva, Valieva and 2-3 other juniors who do quads whose names I don't even remember.

But on the other hand, maybe this quarantine caused many to lose their quads and Alina has her years of experience in her favor.
So do Tuktamysheva and Medvedeva and, frankly, Leonova who still haven't retired. Samodurova has almost the same amount of experience for that matter.

I don't accept at all that Alina needs to lose weight to learn a quad but just looking at established precedent maybe she should learn a triple axel? How is her double? The triple axel seems especially friendly to spring and power and not the whipping it around technique if you look at who has landed it in the past. I have confessed my lack of intense interest in the technique side of the sport elsewhere so it's just a thought; I'm no expert!
Her 2A is not as terrible as Lipnitskaya's or Medvedeva's, but certainly not a 3A material. She was working on the quad, not on a 3A. As for losing weight to get the jumps back - it worked so great for Lipnitskaya that again, I hope Zagitova is a smart young lady to learn from the others' mistakes.

I think it would be possible if she used a similar technique to Tuktamysheva. Liza is an adult woman with a solid 3A who hasn’t sacrificed her health for it. If a skater really needs to be bone-thin to land their jumps, there’s something wrong with their technique.
Tuktamysheva said many times she learned her 3A at the age of 13 and had to recall how to land it as an adult, not learn it anew. Also unlike Zagitova Tuktamysheva actually does have the textbook technique and a much smaller body.

Bellanca

Of course, at the moment, we’re discussing the ladies currently on the scene, but it's entirely possible that none of them will comprise the next Olympic team. With the deep pool of talent Russia has re their ladies, who knows, maybe none of the usual suspects or the 3A’s will be on the team. Okay, highly unlikely — but you never know. 🤷‍♀️ I’d like to see Alina get back, if possible. That would add an extra element of curiosity, drama and suspense to have the reigning Olympic Champion present. Also, Liza on the team would be simply glorious! No doubt the 3A’s will have something to say about it. And, lest we forget, there are the newbies (known and unknown) — waiting in the wings. 😉 Fun to speculate, though, and that's all it is.

starrynight

In respect of Tuktamysheva I think people forget how little her overall body is. She has that short but muscular build.

Here is her standing next to Osmond and Radionova. She is much shorter. I think that has been quite helpful for her in respect of being able to do a quad in her 20s.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Main Russian Team for 2020/21 season was announced today:

Ladies: Kostornaya, Scherbakova, Trusova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tuktamysheva
Men: Aliev, Danielian, Samarin, Mozalev, Gumennik, Ignatov
Pairs: Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Gallyamov, Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Tarasova/Morozov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Panfilova/Rylov
Ice Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Morozov/Bagin, Shevchenko/Eremenko

Also, new policy on switching countries was adopted:
skaters who represented Russian on international circuit will have to wait for two years to get a release, those who participated at Nationals - for a year.

hanca

Values her privacy
To be paid a salary she would have to be top 6, which I highly doubt she can at the moment. She would also waste more on staying healthy than what she would be earning.
I don’t think it is completely impossible for her to be in top six at the nationals. Top three is extremely unlikely, but if Scherbakova, Trusova and Kostornaya have three spots from the nationals, there are still three spots left. Valieva will probably be in top six. Medvedeva, Tuktamysheva and Zagitova will be fighting for two remaining spots.

hanca

Values her privacy
skaters who represented Russian on international circuit will have to wait for two years to get a release, those who participated at Nationals - for a year.
That sounds fair. At least there will be the same rules for every Russian skater who wants to switch, and not as it was until now, when some skaters got released immediately and others waited nearly four years.

J

Jeschke

I second approving the release procedure. Now everyone knows the game.

3 questions:
1) Does the national/international criteria count for the last season skated or overall?
2) If you not even skated nationals, you are free? 😝🤷🏼‍♂️
3) Perkova set to go for AZE next season? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

hanca

Values her privacy
I second approving the release procedure. Now everyone knows the game.

3 questions:
1) Does the national/international criteria count for the last season skated or overall?
2) if you not even skated nationals, you are free? 😝🤷🏼‍♂️
3) Perkova set to go for AZE next season? :D
Yes, they should have specified what time period counts. Does it mean ever competing at the nationals/international competitions, or is it for the past let’s say three years? If someone competed at the nationals but it was five years ago, does that count? Or international competition three years ago and since then nothing... What level competition counts? Is it only junior and senior, or also novice? If someone competed at novice nationals, do they need to sit out a year to switch the country when they are now seniors?

Cherub721

YEAH!
That sounds fair. At least there will be the same rules for every Russian skater who wants to switch, and not as it was until now, when some skaters got released immediately and others waited nearly four years.

It almost seems overly generous in certain cases. It's a good rule for a lower level skater who competed internationally, but if it's someone like Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva requesting to switch, in that case I could understand the federation simply saying no release, or making them wait an entire quad. After all they would have been funded for many years at the senior level, won Worlds, and could threaten the top Russian ladies for podium and GPF spots.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Sucks for Sofia. I've been rooting for her to switch, given the way they've treated her. :lynch: Maybe she should do it anyway. Use the two years to get that 3a good and solid, and then hit the Olympics via Azerbaijan or wherever.

DobrinFan

Main Russian Team for 2020/21 season was announced today:

Ladies: Kostornaya, Scherbakova, Trusova, Medvedeva, Zagitova, Tuktamysheva
Men: Aliev, Danielian, Samarin, Mozalev, Gumennik, Ignatov
Pairs: Boikova/Kozlovski, Mishina/Gallyamov, Pavluchenko/Khodykin, Tarasova/Morozov, Pepeleva/Pleshkov, Panfilova/Rylov
Ice Dance: Sinitsina/Katsalapov, Stepanova/Bukin, Zahorski/Guerreiro, Skoptsova/Aleshin, Morozov/Bagin, Shevchenko/Eremenko

Reserve team included here:

Ladies: Anastasia Gulyakova, Sofia Samodurova, Ksenia Sinitsina.

Men: Mikhail Kolyada, Roman Savosin, Anton Shulepov.

Pairs: Yasmina Kadyrova - Ivan Balchenko.

Dance: Ksenia Konkina - Pavel Drozd, Elizaveta Khudaiberdiyeva - Egor Bazin and Anastasia Spileva - Grigory Smirnov.

mjb52

Ahhh confirmation at last re Khudaiberdiyeva/Bazin. I wish them good luck but it would also be funny if she got a new partner every year. But better that they succeed than that I be mildly entertained. :)

rfisher

Let the skating begin
A pity they didn’t put Gubanova and Lazukin on reserve team, especially since there’s only one pair on the list
Gubanova is the red headed stepchild in Russia. :( She should move to, well anywhere. I'd gladly adopt her.

Eislauffan

DobrinFan

AFAIK this information is not correct. The topic was discussed but no decision was taken. It is not mentioned in the press release of the Federation either: https://www.fsrussia.ru/news/5013-c...prosy-zasedanie-proshlo-v-rezhime-onlajn.html

What do they say here?

Piseev, it seems says it was approved:

Gorshkov:

Guess we will just have to wait to see if it's published on the official website.

Bellanca

AFAIK this information is not correct. The topic was discussed but no decision was taken. It is not mentioned in the press release of the Federation either: https://www.fsrussia.ru/news/5013-c...prosy-zasedanie-proshlo-v-rezhime-onlajn.html
Whether this is true or not, I do not like country-hopping.

If a skater genuinely wants to represent another country, that is one thing. Still, if they are doing it because they are facing the obstacle of being “dropped,” gradually phased out, or no longer competitive enough to keep up with the front-runners, I then question their true motivations, where their loyalty’s lie. Is it solely for themselves or, to be fair, themselves and their “new country?” Hopefully, the latter.

Eislauffan

What do they say here?

Piseev, it seems says it was approved:

Gorshkov:

Guess we will just have to wait to see if it's published on the official website.

My source said that the topic was discussed but not yet decided. The press release on the Federation website does not mention it at all, but reports on decisions that were taken.

Edited to add: Apparently the protocol of the meeting will be published later. There everyone can see which decisions were taken and voted on.

Last edited:
J

Jeschke

Reserve team included here:
Pairs: Yasmina Kadyrova - Ivan Balchenko.
Ehm, how far down the list were they?
They did not even make it to nationals nor have been on the subs list, or?

Or was this the pair suddenly appearing on russian cup final medalling?

babayaga

Trusova was beatable in the SP - no 3A, questionable choreography and 2nd mark. If she learns her 3A she will be unbeatable.
Sure, but that wasn't my point. I was very specifically talking about Trusova looking beatable overall at the last two competitions, not with a hypothetical 3A and clean skates.

Zagitova looked quite ok after the SP, but boy, was she not happy after the LP. Somehow I doubt she will want to go through that after LP again and this is what expects her at the nationals, just worse- it will not be Kihira and Tennel, but given clean skates - Guliakova, Tuktamysheva, Valieva and 2-3 other juniors who do quads whose names I don't even remember.
Zagitova was devastated because she had a terrible skate. If she skates like this at Nationals, sure, she will be far behind. However, this is again not what I was saying. I was saying that when she skates clean she is usually fine loosing to stronger competitors. And if she skates clean even with her current content, she has a good chance placing high at Nationals.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Sure, but that wasn't my point. I was very specifically talking about Trusova looking beatable overall at the last two competitions, not with a hypothetical 3A and clean skates.

Zagitova was devastated because she had a terrible skate. If she skates like this at Nationals, sure, she will be far behind. However, this is again not what I was saying. I was saying that when she skates clean she is usually fine loosing to stronger competitors. And if she skates clean even with her current content, she has a good chance placing high at Nationals.
Maybe, but a number of juniors will be age eligible this year as well. Nationals can be brutal.

babayaga

Kamilla is very strong, I agree. Others are very good too, but not impossible for clean Alina. But all of this is so hypothetical right now, who knows what kind of season we will have..

Bigbird

Ahhh confirmation at last re Khudaiberdiyeva/Bazin. I wish them good luck but it would also be funny if she got a new partner every year. But better that they succeed than that I be mildly entertained. :)

I preferred her previous partner. Bazin hasn't really impressed me much.

hanca

Values her privacy
Ehm, how far down the list were they?
They did not even make it to nationals nor have been on the subs list, or?

Or was this the pair suddenly appearing on russian cup final medalling?
They were pretty new pair, so they haven’t done many competitions yet. Of course they didn’t qualify to the nationals; they are a new team.
They placed second in Russian cup final in seniors. Russian cup final has always been one of the competitions that helped to qualify on the national team. Not on the main team, but they are in reserve, which is deserved. They need to make a statement this coming year. Qualify to the Russian nationals and then some decent placement.

babayaga

I preferred her previous partner. Bazin hasn't really impressed me much.
And I preferred her previous previous partner :) How could she go from Nazarov to eventually Bazin? I would never understand what is behind her decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information