From Russia with Love [#35]: Winter 2019

Ka3sha

Holy Headband

chair of the Lee Sihyeong international fanclub
Who knew that having manners and being well-educated could be "grating" to some people. We are truly living in Idiocracy.

When a teenager develops the media consumption habits of an unmarried schoolteacher from the 70s, it's usually done to signal disapproval of the dominant youth culture around them, which they see as debased or vulgar, and to seek the approval of people of a certain age and social class who hold cultural gatekeeping power. That's an inherently reactionary posture. In my experience, the more well-educated someone becomes, the less confident they are in the intellectual (and implied moral) superiority of the high culture of an imagined past over the popular culture of their own time--because with good education comes knowledge of the unsavoury ideological valences of the Western (or in this case Russian) canon as well as the idea of a canon in the first place.

I don't expect a teenager to realise what political space they occupy when they brag about only reading books by dead men, contra other people their age; I certainly didn't when I was reading Dostoevsky and Melville in high school. That's why I simply called B/K's brand of adolescent silliness more grating than Khuda's to give an example of how unpredictable, personal and idiosyncratic people's reactions to other people can be, without giving this sermon.

But you said I find good education grating and I just had to correct the record; B/K aren't well-educated just yet and as someone working on a PhD in the humanities, I don't find well-educated people merely grating. In fact I think we're all insufferable social parasites!

On topic, RIP to Popova's headband.

mjb52

Behind the scenes video from Euros: Kostornaia, Scherbakova, Trusova

Everything in here with Kostornaia and the horses is absolutely priceless.

Ka3sha

Surely, someone who is working on a PhD in humanities should understand that people are different, teenagers are different and even 'unmarried schoolteachers from the 70s' are also different. They do what they want, read what they want and post things they want on social media. Even if some of their thoughts are too naive or are different from your own, it's their thoughts and they may or may not change when they grow up. I don't think anyone's interpretation of literature or music can be considered 'wrong' or 'silly', it's just that people focus on different things at different periods of life. And that's the best thing about great books/music and films - you can always find something new in a book you have already read thousand of times (if it's a good book :) ).
I vastly prefer this 'adolescent silliness', as you called it, to some other adolescent silliness like smoking, drinking, bragging about new expensive clothes or cars and etc.

Last edited:

muffinplus

Who is the girl that Eteri and Daniil are hugging at 0:41

ChiquitaBanana

Is Tinami doing okay? We’re talking about teenage Russian skaters + education and no sign of life... 🤔

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I hope she's okay, but she also has had stuff going on in her life and business that kept her too busy to post here for periods in the past.

Mad for Skating

Surely, someone who is working on a PhD in humanities should understand that people are different, teenagers are different and even 'unmarried schoolteachers from the 70s' are also different. They do what they want, read what they want and post things they want on social media. Even if some of their thoughts are too naive or are different from your own, it's their thoughts and they may or may not change when they grow up. I don't think anyone's interpretation of literature or music can be considered 'wrong' or 'silly', it's just that people focus on different things at different periods of life. And that's the best thing about great books/music and films - you can always find something new in a book you have already read thousand of times (if it's a good book :) ).
I vastly prefer this 'adolescent silliness', as you called it, to some other adolescent silliness like smoking, drinking, bragging about new expensive clothes or cars and etc.

This response is perfect!
IMO, there are much worse things to be than book nerds.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
When a teenager develops the media consumption habits of an unmarried schoolteacher from the 70s, it's usually done to signal disapproval of the dominant youth culture around them, which they see as debased or vulgar, and to seek the approval of people of a certain age and social class who hold cultural gatekeeping power. That's an inherently reactionary posture. In my experience, the more well-educated someone becomes, the less confident they are in the intellectual (and implied moral) superiority of the high culture of an imagined past over the popular culture of their own time--because with good education comes knowledge of the unsavoury ideological valences of the Western (or in this case Russian) canon as well as the idea of a canon in the first place.

I don't expect a teenager to realise what political space they occupy when they brag about only reading books by dead men, contra other people their age; I certainly didn't when I was reading Dostoevsky and Melville in high school. That's why I simply called B/K's brand of adolescent silliness more grating than Khuda's to give an example of how unpredictable, personal and idiosyncratic people's reactions to other people can be, without giving this sermon.

But you said I find good education grating and I just had to correct the record; B/K aren't well-educated just yet and as someone working on a PhD in the humanities, I don't find well-educated people merely grating. In fact I think we're all insufferable social parasites!

On topic, RIP to Popova's headband.
Wow! Judge much?

J

Jeschke

I need those from men!
I need those Rukavicin tears backstage :p

zebraswan

I block Tinami, but hope the crazy old bat is ok.

I hope she is getting some fresh air and sunlight instead of spending every waking hour reading toxic gossip sites.

Sergei Voronov went to Nepal with Patrick Chan and Jeremy Abbott (plus some other skaters & hockey players) to skate at the opening of the highest ice rink in the world, altitude 4790 meters. They had to trek through the mountains for 4 days just to get to the rink.

Batsuchan

Here's a version with English subtitles (click the CC button to view them):

Ka3sha

Adelina Sotnikova was hospitalized today and undergone a surgery. No further information is given.

DobrinFan

Adelina Sotnikova was hospitalized today and undergone a surgery. No further information is given.

It was a planned surgery. Osteochondrosis. Buianova says it's nothing serious.

The coach of the 2014 Olympic champion Adelina Sotnikova, Elena Buyanova, confirmed the information that her ward was hospitalized in Moscow.

- It was a planned operation, nothing emergency. Everything is in order, said Buyanova.

Perky Shae Lynn

Good that everything is ok.
Russian journalists at their best :rolleyes:
After hearing about Soldatova's situation, anything involving the word "hospitalization" is concerning. Good to hear it was nothing. Russian media sure likes stirring the pot.

PS. For those not familiar, Soldatova is a prominent Russian rhythmic gymnast who allegedly attempted suicide, which she denied. She did however disclose an going problem with bulimia. She's a stunningly beautiful 21 year old, trying to compete with young and/or smaller girls. The pressures of professional sports are brutal. Nothing is more dangerous than trying to keep young women in girls' bodies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information