From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

rfisher

Let the skating begin
Nobody is saying that either, they just are not competitive because of the depth, Medvedeva or Zagtiova will have to do 7 triple programs or/and add triple axel. This year it was possible for Zag, Tukt and Med to go to the Euros if they delivered but Med didn't and Tukt is sick. Russians are not pushing these athletes out, but they fail and move on to do other things in life like Sotskova. What you are indirectly asking for is a system without depth, under that these athletes can compete at worlds year in and year out like during Petushkova, Doronina era.

Yes, these athletes will struggle irrespective of nationality due to puberty, but we are glad to have seen them for this long.
Exactly. And Russia is unique at this point in time. They are the only nation with this kind of depth in ladies. Japan is next, but they seem to have run out of juniors (at the moment, albeit, they have some very young skaters already doing 3As) and all the junior phenoms have moved to seniors. But, the oldest is Miyahara and IMHO, she shouldn't have been top 3 this year at Nationals. I suspect to see her drop next season. Korea is on the upswing. Russia only has 3 slots for the big events. The younger skaters will get higher TES and will push the others out. Every other country has 1-2 good skaters and they can pretty much skate as long as they want. That won't be enough in Russia to stay in the top 5. Maybe an individual skater will have 2-4 years at the top of the Russian hierarchy. Maybe they won't. I don't care and just enjoy today. The sad thing is there are a lot of quality skaters who will never make that top 3. (((((Gubanova)))) and they'll quit skating. :wuzrobbed

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
No one is blaming the younger skaters, I like all three of them. A system that says one or two years of success and then you’re done isn’t good for the sport or the skaters.

I bet that by Montreal at least one of the three will be struggling thanks to puberty and body changes.

It is not the system. It is the deep pool of talent that is making the skaters’ careers short (2-3 years). It is a competition and the athletes are always going to challenge themselves. It could happen in any discipline. I am sure it happened in pairs when the USSR had incredibly talented pairs. If Russia had just two or three top level ladies, with just 1-2 in the pipeline, they could compete for 5-6 years. It is good for the sport but not for the individual skaters. :(

mjb52

Why do y'all think there isn't the same depth or even close to it in the men's field in Russia?

zebraswan

Why do y'all think there isn't the same depth or even close to it in the men's field in Russia?

Because the majority of boys are more interested in other sports like hockey or football. The same is true in most places, not just Russia. And maybe those who do like skating just get sick of it when they are always treated as 2nd class citizens compared to the ladies, and constantly asked "why are none of you as good as Plushenko/Yagudin"...

love_skate2011

Banned Member
Because the majority of boys are more interested in other sports like hockey or football. The same is true in most places, not just Russia. And maybe those who do like skating just get sick of it when they are always treated as 2nd class citizens compared to the ladies, and constantly asked "why are none of you as good as Plushenko/Yagudin"...

and few who do stay but cant jump much turn to ice dance or pairs

love_skate2011

Banned Member
out of the radar, but pairs is finally blossoming out, Tarasova / Morozov are the new Shishkova / Nuamov reliable but nothing else, they are on borrowed time with finally many juniors transitioning to seniors showing good potential.

russian current Ice Dance has become stable and with the non Kustarova juniors becoming seniors soon,
Skptcova / Alyeshiv flopped with their senior transition as expected from Kustarova/Alxeeva students the other current juniors are much better (Non Kustarovas)

so to sum it up, students mostly will have prospects if you are a non Kustarova or a Buyanova *cursed

Sylvia

TBD
It was posted earlier in this thread that Petr Gumennik withdrew from Nationals due to bronchitis. He is 16 and very promising, having just won silver in the JGP Final, landing 4S, 3A+2T+2Lo & 3A in his FS - link to his ISU bio: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054617.htm
He used to be in Mishin's group and is now coached by Veronika Daineko.

ETA his Russia Cup #4 FS from November in which he landed two quad Salchows: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvgzRv8UGE4

Last edited:

Dobre

I think if it was known the senior field was especially weak it would be less of a deal.

But it’s the reigning Olympic Gold and Olympic Silver Medalists . . . who were knocked off the podium.

Agreed. It should be noted, though, that the junior ladies here had less on the line than their senior counterparts. The senior athletes had their berths at Europeans and potentially Worlds on the line here. In Japan and the U.S., a junior competitor in senior nationals generally has a spot on the junior world team on the line. But in Russia, Junior Nationals are held later.

mag

I don’t know about elsewhere, but in North America boys are treated like kings! Because there are so few, they are praised and applauded while doing half what the girls of the same age are doing. They get staring roles in every ice show, selected to teams they have no business being on, and pushed through the qualifying system because there are so few competing.

zebraswan

out of the radar, but pairs is finally blossoming out, Tarasova / Morozov are the new Shishkova / Nuamov reliable but nothing else, they are on borrowed time with finally many juniors transitioning to seniors showing good potential.

Everyone is on "borrowed time" because there are always new younger skaters with potential...but not all potential turns into great senior results. I love B/K and all the JGPF medalists but they still have to establish themselves and show consistency, and not break up. Easier said than done. And while T/M may not be the most exciting, they're still a lot more exciting than Z/E, so I don't think they are just going to fade away any time soon.

Tinami Amori

Zagitova did skate with dimexide chemical skin burn, caused by her grand-mother, Daniil confirmed it now officially to the press. https://www.gazeta.ru/sport/news/2018/12/24/n_12452599.shtml

Tarasovа offered Medevedeva to be her coach back in Russia, and she is openly unhappy about Samodurova and Konstantinova to be sent to Euros instead of Med. Bestemyanova is also against Sam and Konst going to Euros.
https://nevasport.ru/42962-bestemya...i-samodurovoj-v-sostave-na-chempionat-evropy/

Averbukh, on this rare occasion, contradicted TAT and Bestemyanova, saying that Konst and Sam should not step aside for Medvedeva, the decision was merit based on sports principles, and "what Wise King Solomon would do".
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...ropy-u-zhenschin-solomonovo-reshenie-1494312/
https://nevasport.ru/43145-averbuh-...antinova-ne-dolzhny-ustupat-medvedevoj-mesto/

Samodurova "I am happy, but feel bad for Tuk".
https://nevasport.ru/43063-samoduro...y-vrode-rada-za-sebya-no-zhalko-tuktamyshevu/

Alexei Mishin is staying out of it. :D

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

russian current Ice Dance has become stable and with the non Kustarova juniors becoming seniors soon,
Skptcova / Alyeshiv flopped with their senior transition as expected from Kustarova/Alxeeva students the other current juniors are much better (Non Kustarovas)

so to sum it up, students mostly will have prospects if you are a non Kustarova or a Buyanova *cursed

No they are not the new S&N, who were dumped by the judges to make room for other pairs, like W&S or Y&B who were nothing special, IMO. S&N were beautiful skaters with great SS, positions, pointed toes, unison. They didn’t have the charisma or presence of other great Russian skaters, but they were very good and they (and some others) don’t deserve to be slammed.

T&M have great basic qualities but they have been anything but reliable. There is a beauty to their skating and it needs to be appreciated. My complaint against them is that they don't deliver When they must, with the exception of the most recent RN.
We will see what happens next. The only things they have in common with S&N are great positions and SS, and IMO neither pair deserves to be sneered at.

Russian Pairs had looked Very strong 4-5 years ago but it all fizzled out. Young pairs (e.g. I&M, M&R, M’s next partner) broke up or got sick, new pairings didn’t work out, and some senior pairs didn’t fulfill expectations. Finally they had only V&T, S&K and we know what happened after 2014. So Russia has two inconsistent pairs T&M and Z&E at the top and several young pairs who may or may not develope or stay together or stay healthy. While I like some things About both top pairs they have not shown the consistency that earns the respect of the judges.

Everyone is on "borrowed time" because there are always new younger skaters with potential...but not all potential turns into great senior results. I love B/K and all the JGPF medalists but they still have to establish themselves and show consistency, and not break up. Easier said than done. And while T/M may not be the most exciting, they're still a lot more exciting than Z/E, so I don't think they are just going to fade away any time soon.

I agree about the “borrowed time”. No athlete is safe because there are always more talented ones challenging them, at least in Russia.

I don't look for”exciting pairs”. I look for those with great pairs requirements (esp. basics) and the ability to deliver when it counts, particularly in big competitions. The great Russian pairs of the past had that ability. T&M have the potential to be great. I don't see that in Z&E but they are good enough to hold the third spot for next year. When S&K, who had the potential to be great, struggled with injury, and A&S (still in development phase) split, the outlook looked grim. Now there is some hope due to the young Jr. pairs but it is still only a hope.

Nobody can predict what will happen. The pairs in the USSR and in the 90s (remnants of the USSR system) continued to be at the top level, but how many of them were actually “exciting”? Some people found G&G boring, and they will be only satisfied by “exciting”, with poor positions and mediocre basics. So T&M will never be their cup of tea, no matter how they perform. IMO T&M need to improve upon two main things- consistency and unison on sbs spins (I am really nit picky about those spins). The judges gave them good marks even with Candyman when they skated nearly clean. It was an atrocious choice for them when they tried to be “exciting”. They are beautiful and that’s what they need to showcase.

I would like to see T&M skate this year’s LP clean from competition to competition. It is a beautiful LP that suits them. At SA they were very much appreciated even when not clean. They need to stick to their natural style, and not try to be something else. They have to accept that to some people they will always be a “nothing special” or “unexciting”. They will have their devoted fans if they fulfill the great promise we saw 3-4 years ago.

Last edited:

Ka3sha

Yes, i'll look for it... it's somewhere..
Thanks..
Because I have seen only one interview with TAT , and she didn't say anything about Konstantinova and Samodurova there :saint:
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...mpionat-evropy-2019-tatyana-tarasova-1494386/
Only that the Fed could have asked Orser to do the same thing they asked Mishin - to get Evgenia ready for Worlds (not that she will be going there for sure, just to train for it). And that the Fed at least could have given Evgenia a spot on Universiade team.

Trusova, Scherbakova and Kostornaia at the late-night show today, Aleksandra came with her dog, Tina
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...mpionat-evropy-2019-tatyana-tarasova-1494386/

Taso

I've kinda gotten the impression that Stasia is a judge's favorite because she has great projection, musicality, and is likely the fastest lady in the world currently given that she's a) already obviously fast and b) about half a foot taller than the rest of the field

Tinami Amori

Thanks..
Because I have seen only one interview with TAT , and she didn't say anything about Konstantinova and Samodurova there :saint:
Only that the Fed could have asked Orser to do the same thing they asked Mishin - to get Evgenia ready for Worlds (not that she will be going there for sure, just to train for it). And that the Fed at least could have given Evgenia a spot on Universiade team.
:D I thought you wanted a link to "Tat wanting to coach Med"..
That phrase you selected out of the whole article is the most innocent one, and does not tell the full story.

TAT does not have to name the "other girls", the names are obvious...
:Dhttps://www.delfi.lv/sport/worldspo...enskom-katanii-do-16-let?id=50696093&all=true

Известный тренер считает, что Евгению Медведеву нужно было включить в состав сборной России на чемпионат Европы. На ЧЕ-2019 поедут три спортсменки, которые оказались выше Медведевой по итогам ЧР – Станислава Константинова (4-е место), Алина Загитова (5-е место) и Софья Самодурова (6-е место).

Famous coach (Tarasova) thinks that Evgenia Medvedeva must be included in the Russian Team for Europeans. For the EC-2019 the following 3 ladies were selected, who at RN placed higher than Medvedeva - Konst, Zag, Sam.

I wonder who Tarasova intended to be replaced by Med?... :D well.. Bestemyanova did it for her and Averbukh confirmed it.. :lol:
https://nevasport.ru/42962-bestemya...i-samodurovoj-v-sostave-na-chempionat-evropy/
"Bestemyanova is against Konstantinova and Samodurova on the Russian Team instead of Medvedeva".

But Averbukh objected with "Yes, Med did well too. But why Samodurova and Konstantinova should give up their spots?
Медведева тоже хорошо откатала. Но почему Самодуроваи Константинова должны уступить свои места?
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...ropy-u-zhenschin-solomonovo-reshenie-1494312/

Ka3sha

Recent interview with Stanislava (for sport24.ru): Other skater's fans belittled me

She says that she is happy with the result, but not happy with her skate in the long program, as under other circumstances that mistake on double axel could have cost her a placement on the team. It was the last start of the year and she was quite obviously nervous, didn't want to think about places on the Euros/Worlds team, but the pressure was still there.
Stasia also thanks all fans as she receive a lot of support and love from them this season. Everything is so good that she sometimes thinks "what's the catch?". Last year everything was different, there wasn't any bullying, but she was really upset with people's reaction, especially before JWC. Other skater's fans belittled her and thought that all her results were undeserved. She says that she can be critical of her own performances and make an objective assessment of what is good and what is bad. But no-one deserves to be put under pressure like this. She does what she likes the best and can be objective. It was a pity that even after good performances there was a lot of critique. It happened after Senior and Junior Nationals, then after JWC. She understands that she didn't skate on 100% there but was close to it. She had to change her attitude after Senior Worlds and is now taking things lightly. Stasia doesnt think about scores or placement at Euros, just wants to show her best and do whatever she can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information