From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tinami Amori

Polina was unlucky enough to have a series of injuries. She was also diagnosed with osteochonditis dissecans and a herniated disc two seasons ago that seriously affected her training. (Wasn't there also some genetic back condition mentioned?)
Polina also said herself that was tired of skating, competing, the pressure, discomfort of falling and hurting, and wanted to quite during summer 2017. Her parents convinced her not to, to keep on skating a little longer, because they invested so much money into her. Mother/Father also called her lazy and a spoiled brat. It's also in a title of one of the interview she gave.
"I wanted to quite this summer (2017). But parents told me "Enough caprices, quite annoying us with your nagging, go and skate".
https://www.sports.ru/figure-skating/1062399460.html

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Of course not, but the "anti-xxxx" and "pro-xxxx" machine that's been started and paid for, is still functioning.. :D That's why i posted the actual.
Or, alternately, since the narrative has been that Medvedeva is a traitor who has abandoned Russia, this would show that she still cares about her country people.

Marco

I still have no clue why Konstantinova is so favoured. Her being the top age-eligible lady for Euros does make it hard to pass over her for Tuk or Med (if they wanted to). Sad thing is, Euros ladies is a relatively weak field so I think they are likely to sweep the podium there - which again will make it tough to swap her or even Samodurova out for the worlds team for Tuk or Med even if they wanted to.

I remember the fact that these junior ladies medalling at senior nationals has no bearing on whether they get sent to junior worlds (Proklova 2014). If any of Trusova, Shchberkova and Kostornaia mess up junior nationals, it is still possible that they won't get sent to junior worlds. Is this still true this season?

Tinami Amori

Or, alternately, since the narrative has been that Medvedeva is a traitor who has abandoned Russia, this would show that she still cares about her country people.
Media/press never said that. Few mad posters did, the one who "got to Med" was specifically a "40-year old manager" who posted something on her IG, and that's what got her "goat". it was never in the media.. and not more than this one bad IG post. Med herself addressed her complaint to him and said "i don't get it whe a 40 year old would say that, and why there are those few haters".. It was then used to "make a sensation" for whatever reasons.
https://www.sport-express.ru/figure...ina-govorit-mne-chto-menya-nenavidit-1482990/

Med has a clever PR machine, when she is not winning medals, they present her as a victim, or find something to twist into "positive"; lots of money were invested in her winning Gold and few people are furious..

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
which again will make it tough to swap her or even Samodurova out for the worlds team for Tuk or Med even if they wanted to.
Not at all. Mishin has already said he's been told to get Tuk ready for Worlds, and they can do what they want wrt Worlds, especially if the medallists score relatively low and medal because they are the best of a weak lot, with or without Kostner.

Media/press never said that
I didn't say the source was the press. It doesn't matter who was saying it: it's a perfectly good use of mainstream media to counter a narrative, and it could have zero to do with Zagitova or any other Russian skater.

Finsta

Not sure why some need to add drama and gossip. Why care if girls are friends and why add fuel to fire by insisting it’s all PR? Speaks more about person continues stirring pots and adding more speculation and drama, because the young girls act more matter than the elders posting rumors and coaches not speaking

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The angst about Konstantinova coming to skate well enough to beat favorites should be recognizable to US Nationals fans who wanted to pull out their hair when certain skaters did the same, and repeatedly.

Tinami Amori

The angst about Konstantinova coming to skate well enough to beat favorites should be recognizable to US Nationals fans who wanted to pull out their hair when certain skaters did the same, and repeatedly.
Actually, Konstantinova is barely mentioned after RN event, she did not make the podium, although she is 1st (4th) technically in Seniors, ahead of Zag in 2nd (5th). Very few mention her at this point. Some fans are upset that Gubanova is too low, and that's when Konstantinova is mentioned.

There are only 2-3 articles about her (probably pcs of the same interview rephrased) and noticed that she is selected for EC 2019. https://www.championat.com/other/ne...oj-programme-byl-ne-takim-vdohnovljonnym.html

starrynight

I remember how those criticising Medvedeva used to adore her when she was the poster child for Sambo 70. She used to be used as the example of why Lipnitskaya’s issues were allegedly not valid. And now the roles have changed and Medvedeva finds herself the villian. Quite a fickle fair weather fandom. At least dedicated ubers stand by their skaters through thick and thin.

SLIVER

ugh Euros ladies went from potentially being so exciting a few weeks ago with
Zag v Med v Tuk to now having Samudorova and Konstantinova, probably my least 2 favourite girls between all the Russians seniors and juniors. I was hoping never to see that Burlesque free ever again.
I think Hendrickx has a real chance of sneaking a medal here.
Curious to see what E/Bazin can do at euros too, I still can’t believe they pushed them ahead of popova/m.

Amantide

@Tinami Amori Thank you so much for the info. I need to read that again cause there are some interesting things. Some I do agree as well, in regards with the choreo (the LP in particular), though I still don't think Konstantinova is better than her in artistry. She has some very good qualities, but tbh I find her a bit dull. But that's just me, maybe it's bias. I haven't seen either of them live and that makes a lot of difference actually.

However, I feel very bad for her, for all the political games these people are playing. Leave this coach, go to this one cause you will get more points. Do my choreo, yet not good enough. yada, yada, yada.:rolleyes::shuffle:

Polina was unlucky enough to have a series of injuries. She was also diagnosed with osteochonditis dissecans and a herniated disc two seasons ago that seriously affected her training. (Wasn't there also some genetic back condition mentioned?)

She was also an Eteri student until recently, so it's possible she's having the same technique problems Eteri skaters tend to have as adults. She left Eteri this spring, so if this is the problemshe may be able to fix it.

Nope, Polina had a great technique. Her jumps were big, powerful, covering lots of distance, correct egde (no flutz etc). She wasn't Eteri's student till 2013 and she started skating in 2005.

I know about the illness, It has been hammering her for the last couple of years, if not more. But I thought she was recovering pretty well last season.

zebraswan

I remember how those criticising Medvedeva used to adore her when she was the poster child for Sambo 70. She used to be used as the example of why Lipnitskaya’s issues were allegedly not valid. And now the roles have changed and Medvedeva finds herself the villian. Quite a fickle fair weather fandom. At least dedicated ubers stand by their skaters through thick and thin.

Only in the minds of certain unhinged crazies, who unfortunately cannot keep their hands away from the keyboard. Why they can't stick to watching telenovelas and reading fanfiction instead of tearing down serious real life athletes all day,every day, is beyond me. Chemical imbalance? They have meds for that...

Amantide

Not hardly and not just in Russia. Sotnikova won her first championship at age 12 and the year the Us podiun was Zhang, Nagusu, and Flatt, they were all juniors. There have been multiple juniors on the Russian podiums. This only becomes an issue when a favorite is knocked off.

Probably. LOL
I didn't remember or even knew, I think, if this was the first time or not. Tbh, I started to watch national championships (mainly the Russian one) in 2013-2014.

Marco

I think many are puzzled at her PCS. She was getting high 7s at Worlds in the short and at GP Finalnd (or low 7s in the free when she fell three times), and suddenly she is getting high 8s here. Samodurova was getting high 7s / low 8s at the GPF 2 weeks ago and now merely mid 8s.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm sad that Tsurskaya is struggling, because she's my favorite of all of the Russian Ladies. But I'm sadder that she really doesn't want to be out there, but feels obligated to.

I love Tsurskaya. Such a regal presence. She has it all, but injury prevented her from staying on top. I suspect she has a back injury that has not healed. With any injury there is a tendency to be cautious and she is making mistakes on jumps. It doesn’t help that the judges are harsh when marking her. That has to be discouraging.

Has she said that she doesn’t really want to be there? It sounds like there is pressure from her family and that may be a turn off.

Madison25

winning medals, they present her as a victim, or find something to twist into "positive"; lots of money were invested in her winning Gold and few people are furious..
I thought that Zagitova is the victim of the century, at least her fans present her like this every time they have the opportunity.

Amantide

By the way, Boikova/Kozlovskii are a delight to watch. They have personality, chemistry, technique, and they have verve. This couple has so much potential. They’re giving me a good reason to get invested in Pairs again. I’m really looking forward to their future.

I’m so thrilled to see the Queen 👸 of Pair Skating back, and she looks in great form too.👌 Long may she stay and reign! 🙌

Last edited:

Mad for Skating

It also sends the signal that these girls are totally replaceable. If you choose to leave, then you are dead to us.

Eteri to her line of former students: thank u, next

Not sure why some need to add drama and gossip. Why care if girls are friends and why add fuel to fire by insisting it’s all PR? Speaks more about person continues stirring pots and adding more speculation and drama, because the young girls act more matter than the elders posting rumors and coaches not speaking

Agree!!! Most of these girls just seem really nice and mature for their age, dedicated to their sport, and polite to each other. I don’t see anything wrong with being friendly with your rivals.

By the way, Boikova/Kozlovskii are a delight to watch. They have personality, chemistry, technique, and they have verve. This couple has so much potential. They’re giving me a good reason to get invested in Pairs again. I’m really looking forward to their future.

I’m so thrilled to see the Queen 👸 of Pair Skating back, and she looks in great form too.👌 Long may she stay and reign! 🙌

I like them a lot too! They’re still so young, but they are so poised and mature; they just exude class and they can continue growing for years. A bright future ahead for them.

By “the Queen”, you mean Moskvina, right? 👸🏻

layman

These Nationals give the Eteri Juniors a vision of their Senior future...a year (if lucky two) of success followed by the scrap heap.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
How is that the fault of the younger skaters? It's just the way it is. Canada may well have a skater win the men's event who is too young for Worlds. The US may well have a skater medal who is too young for Worlds and was too young even for the JGP. No skater is guaranteed years on the podium. Are they to be denied because they push the technical envelope and have the talent to succeed?

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
No one is blaming the younger skaters, I like all three of them. A system that says one or two years of success and then you’re done isn’t good for the sport or the skaters.

I bet that by Montreal at least one of the three will be struggling thanks to puberty and body changes.

D

Deleted member 40371

No one is blaming the younger skaters, I like all three of them. A system that says one or two years of success and then you’re done isn’t good for the sport or the skaters.

I bet that by Montreal at least one of the three will be struggling thanks to puberty and body changes.

Nobody is saying that either, they just are not competitive because of the depth, Medvedeva or Zagtiova will have to do 7 triple programs or/and add triple axel. This year it was possible for Zag, Tukt and Med to go to the Euros if they delivered but Med didn't and Tukt is sick. Russians are not pushing these athletes out, but they fail and move on to do other things in life like Sotskova. What you are indirectly asking for is a system without depth, under that these athletes can compete at worlds year in and year out like during Petushkova, Doronina era.

Yes, these athletes will struggle irrespective of nationality due to puberty, but we are glad to have seen them for this long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information