From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

Are you kidding me? that word полукровка is used in the title of many Soviet/Russian books, songs, films..... It is an official term of a child of "two different types of parents"....
I’m not kidding - in modern Russian academic and literary language this term is mostly used in the context of animals, not people.
Also, in my view, it’s a rude term to use and I’d never call anyone «полукровка».

I still don’t understand what all of this has to do with Russian figure skating :huh:

Last edited:

Tinami Amori

I’m not kidding - in modern Russian literary language this term is mostly used in the context of animals, not people.
Also, in my view, it’s a rude term to use and I’d never call anyone «полукровка».

The songs and novels i listed are "modern"... :D (except for Vertinskiy)
My family uses it, about ourselves.. My father, when asked by other immigrants "if he is fully jewish" would reply "not fully, i am a half-blood"... нет, я полукровка.

Your views, are your views... don't use it if you don't like it. Here is a project for you: there is a diary product, called in english "half-and-half"... it is "сливки" in Russian.

See if you can come up with a PC version of "half-and-half" that is shorter than "the original liquid produced by mammary glands of mammals mixed with a composite of butterfat layer removed from the original liquid produced by mammary glands of mammals before it is homogenized".
;)

Ka3sha

Back on topic,
@Eislauffan 's article on Anna Pogorilaya
“I recovered,” stated the skater. “That means that I can skate and the doctors told me I have enough reserves. I didn’t put pressure on myself that I have to retire or anything. The most important thing is not to look at the others and to follow my own plan.”
She plans on starting her season by competing in events of the national Russian Cup series this fall and then a Challenger Series event before Russian Nationals in December.
https://goldenskate.com/2018/09/pogorilaya-starts-comeback-this-fall/

analia

Evgenia's father and grandfather both abandoned the family. It's only natural this family of three generations of women would want those two men's last names out of the picture. It probably has nothing to do with what the last names are.
I don't know why "half-breed" is offensive. In America people don't have any problem saying they are half this half that. Obama famously called himself a mutt.

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Evgenia's father and grandfather both abandoned the family. It's only natural this family of three generations of women would want those two men's last names out of the picture. It probably has nothing to do with what the last names are.
I don't know why "half-breed" is offensive. In America people don't have any problem saying they are half this half that. Obama famously called himself a mutt.

Thank you for your explanation about the names.

In American English, "half-breed" is an offensive term. It has been an offensive term for over 50 years. Cher even had a (terrible) pop song about how it is offensive (although the video is itself is offensive "af" as the kids would say, talk about killing your message) :eek::

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6E98ZRaU1s

Someone may ask if I am half-English, and I might answer them. If someone asked me if I was a half-breed, they would not be happy campers.:angryfire

What epithets or offensive language someone chooses to call *themselves* is completely different.

Tinami Amori

Evgenia's father and grandfather both abandoned the family. It's only natural this family of three generations of women would want those two men's last names out of the picture. It probably has nothing to do with what the last names are..
Incorrect!!!

Evegeniya's mother (Zhanna) and father (Arman) are FRIENDS, on Facebook and in real life... :D They had a relationship, had a child and then decided to have separate lives. Everything was very civil and friendly. Arman was and is active in Zhennya's life, Zhennya has a cousine on Arman's side and they are also close.

Arman and Zhanna's brother are friends, the whole family are friends.... :D Arman gave an interview recently.. about the family and Zhennya.....
https://www.mk.ru/sport/2018/02/27/otec-figuristki-evgenii-medvedevoy-raskryl-ee-familnye-tayny.html

Marco

Yes, but he was born in the Sovietunion. (According to a Japanese anime artist he was the last treasure of it :lol: ) But all member of his family are proud Russian. But I don't understand why you mentioned him. Medvedeva is also very well treated by her Federation.

I asked because it was explained that Evgenia used the Medvedeva surname because it was "in your face Russian", so that "you sound like you are VERY VERY Russian, and it helps people to like the person if they are patriotic". And I am just noting Evgeny's surname isn't VERY VERY Russian at all yet everyone liked him in Russia anyway.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's offensive because "half-breed" does not mean 50/50 and half 1= half 2. It means that someone is half whatever is defined as superior, and half of whatever is defined to be inferior. As "purebread" is meant to describe 100% "superior" and isn't used to describe 100% "inferior."

A common current term I've encountered recently is "mash-up" to describe people of mixed ancestry.

Mad for Skating

She'll look adorable and fit right in on the streets of Paris..... http://fb.ru/misc/i/gallery/45109/2318656.jpg

but... what language will she speak, and more importantly, WHO will pay for her to live and to train there?

She is French at heart, that’s all that matters! https://m.vk.com/photos1017934?z=photo1017934_411421472/photos1017934
https://m.vk.com/photos1017934?z=photo1017934_408316675/photos1017934
I guess Novoselov will translate for her and I’ll pay for her apartment and coaching with my college fund.

She would never be released

Ah, it was a lovely fantasy while it lasted...

Now about the term half-breed: I don’t know what it means in Russian, since different words mean different things depending upon the country. I am half Asian and half white, and I prefer the term “biracial”. It’s just a more polite way of saying things in the United States.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member

My daughter calls herself a mutt, too (half Jewish/half Pennsylvania-Dutch-English-Welsh). But mischlinge in German was the Nazis' term for someone of mixed-Jewish blood and it sure wasn't complimentary. Mulatto is also not acceptable terminology anymore. I think half-breed could be replaced by "dual nationality" but then I'm one of those PC liberals. :D

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
It's also different when someone calls themselves a "mutt" and when someone else does. I would still bristle if a Jew called themselves a "mischlinge," though.

Tinami Amori

It's also different when someone calls themselves a "mutt" and when someone else does. I would still bristle if a Jew called themselves a "mischlinge" though.
:D i've heard so many times a spouse or a parent using that term endearingly towards a spouse or a child.. as in "my sweet/little mutt".. but! in Russian the word "mutt" is "дворняжка" and it means "no-pedigree street dog" and a bad insult.. :lol:

I think half-breed could be replaced by "dual nationality" but then I'm one of those PC liberals. :D
In Russian "dual nationality" in "soviet times" means "dual ethnicity" and DOES NOT exist, because in soviet passports an adult had to pick only 1 nationality to put in section #5 (on the passport). In English, and now in Russian, "dual nationality" means dual citizenship/2 passports.

i am absolutely ok if someone calls me "mischlinge" in German, does not affect my life at all, as long as they don't start passing laws and administrative processes based on that "qualification".
====

Skating! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_bPIn8yKhY
Video from the Test Skate in Moscow.
- Gleikh and Stepanova acting "cute"...
- Mothers and kids lining up to get Eteri's authograph, however they are also asking for her contact email or telephone, and when is the next "group selection test" is to be held.. :lol:

Sylvia

TBD
Pogorilaya starts comeback this fall by Tatjana Flade: https://goldenskate.com/2018/09/pogorilaya-starts-comeback-this-fall/
... Pogorilaya worked with her long-time choreographer Viktor Adonev on her competitive programs. She is not ready to reveal too many details yet. She kept her Spanish-themed short program to “Esperanza” and is skating to music from Frida for the free skate. “The new program is similar to the one that I kept,” she said. This music was picked by her coach. “I liked it right away and I like both programs. The most important thing is to get started. The programs are good and nice, now I just have to do them.”
She plans on starting her season by competing in events of the national Russian Cup series this fall and then a Challenger Series event before Russian Nationals in December.

Tinami Amori

She's the Olympic champion, not buying it, I'm sure they'd sort her papers out in an ultra express minute if need be...
This is the 2nd time it happened. Problem with "parental consent for a minor to exit the country". Last time was during JGPF in 2016. Alina's grand-mother messed up. Alina had to take the next day's flight, but then there was time of extra 2 days. Now there are no extra days to solve the problem.
https://vk.com/wall-97272391_13054
"
— Случился казус. Мы с бабушкой забыли согласие от родителей, что они разрешают мне выехать за границу самостоятельно. Пытались уговаривать, просить, чтобы меня выпустили без этого документа. Но я еще несовершеннолетняя, и все оказалось намного серьезнее. Бабушка поехала домой, но не успевала вернуться до вылета. Я думала, полететь в этот же день позже одной, без тренеров. Но Этери Георгиевна сказала, что в Париже очень большой аэропорт, и это рискованно.

Я очень расстроилась. Но все, что ни делается к лучшему. У меня появилась злость, и я очень захотела хорошо выступить. "

Here is Alina's foto packed and ready to go, she was turned away at the airport, where her grand-mother was there with Masaru.
http://s5.uploads.ru/Wxo1h.jpg
tag: "back from Bratislava"... :lol:

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
Well, considering how often she travels abroad for competitions, it is surprising that she would forget. She must know by now she would need it.

Tinami Amori

All she needs is a letter signed by her parents, right? Slovakia is only a 2 hour flight away. Something sounds odd.
Slovakia maybe only 2 hrs off, but there are no hourly flights, the DVO or SVO airports can be a few hours drive (in traffic) from Moscow, the event starts tomorrow, and to fix the documents is not simple....

No... it's more complicated than that. Plus Alina's situation (with official residence address and living not with her parents but under guardianship of grand-mother) makes her document more complicated in terms of precision of information.

It is not a letter. It is a form, which must be signed in person by both parents (if there are both parents) and must be notarized in person by both parents.
https://www.samso.ru/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/obrazec_soglasiya-3-litsa.jpg

Also, in some cases, if under 16 years old, there is a document for "temp. guardianship" for the coach or manager who is going with the child or a group.
The instructions are long... :lol:
http://zagrandok.ru/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/razreshenie-na-vyezd-632x600.jpg
http://zagrandok.ru/pomosh/razreshenie/razreshenie-na-vyezd-za-granicu-rebenka.html
https://xn--n1aiccj.xn--b1aew.xn--p1ai/folder/1146181

I don't know what Alina's document issue is..... but it is not a uncommon situation.

Alina's parents live in Izhevsk, that is their "legal place of residence". Alina lives in Moscow with Grand-mother, but her "official residence" is a confusing situation... actual address is in Moscow, but "formal address" is in Izhevsk, since she is a minor. Since Alina lives in Moscow, there is also a document of "guardian-ship" for the Grand-mother. All this "3-level" info has to be accurately and properly filled out in a form.

ANY mistake or typo, such as 1 letter or a number, in the form, which shows any variations in Alina's, Parents, Grand-mother's info (street address, passport number, date of birth, etc), will cause a problem at "border crossing station".

Just an example: if there is a number "230" and there is a mistake "280", it is a problem..

I see it happening often with my russian associates' teenage children travelling to language courses for the summer.

Unless the parents can either run to the notary public now, or fly to Moscow from Izhevsk, get it all done in 1 day, it is not possible to solve, and it seems like the event starts tomorrow.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information