From Russia with Love [#30]: If There Are Test Skate Videos, It Must Be Fall 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ka3sha

Things are tough for Medvedeva at the moment. I was just browsing through some Russian language news websites for skating news (on google translate) and there are so many articles picking apart everything she does and trying to accuse her of being unpatriotic at every turn. She'd know the media are waiting for blood. It's not like skating in other countries where a failure at a competition just results in maybe a sentence in the bottom of a small article. It's big news. That must affect Medvedeva's psyche a lot.
That’s true. I don’t read a lot of articles and posts on social media, but in that case it’s very hard not to see all these headlines and comments saying that she is traitor, should have never left Eteri, who is the best coach ever because her 14yo girls can do quads, made a mistake of her life, is arrogant and unfriendly, has gained weight and :barrel

Am still not a fan of Evgenia’s skating, but I really feel sorry for her. She is just a 19 yo young lady, who made one of the hardest decision to completely change her (and her family’s) life, to move to another country, to change literally everything. And am not even talking about the fact that no one deserves to be trashed like this.

I think that she just needs time to adjust to everything and to believe in herself once again.

clairecloutier

Tinami Amori

:)Sorry, Tinami Amori, but it is amazing, that you still don't notice, that you take your "story" out of nowhere. etc....
I think i figured out what you maybe saying in objection to my post, given it is a known fact that "Yags bullied and hit Plushenko while at Mishin's" and as Plushenko said it, "Yags did it in a sneaky/hidden from others way" and that Yags (as per your earlier quote) tried to dismiss it. You probably looking at the few lines i put "in quotes" and thinking that this is a translation from the article i listed. It is not! I have a habit of putting quotation marks for "summaries" and "generalizations" and "to highlight something". Those few lines i highlighted are not translations, they are summaries from several sources, and only 1 of them was listed. :D So, i am sure there is no disagreement that Plush was bullied and hit by Yags, and did it "sneaky" and when asked denied/dismissed it. ...... and i want to end this, since people are complaining it is old news.

nimi

What an excellent (if heart-breaking) interview. She's so well-spoken.

Here's a new Olympic Channel article that basically summarizes the above interview but also features some comments from Jason about adjusting to big changes: THE MEDVEDEVA DILEMMA: “IT IS 100% A MENTAL ISSUE”
He explained: "when you're making changes and you're going through some technical changes... there's a lot that goes through your head about making it right."

starrynight

An interview with Medvedeva, from FSGossips: https://fs-gossips.com/evgenia-medv...RohkTLbbD6zYRnRgB7MsYu7XQDewShBJjDG5nZhtt_72A

She says she no longer looks at social media because some of the comments are so cruel. "I didn't expect so much negativity and so much hate."

It's ridiculous & really sad what she's been put through over this decision to move to Orser.

It's bizarre given that skating is a global sport and it is super common for skaters train in a country other than the one they represent.

Has Medvedeva just become a punching bag for nationalistic people? Or part of me wonders if this a larger conspiracy to scare away any other Russian girls from leaving Eteri or going abroad to train.

Spun Silver

It's bizarre given that skating is a global sport and it is super common for skaters train in a country other than the one they represent.

Has Medvedeva just become a punching bag for nationalistic people? Or part of me wonders if this a larger conspiracy to scare away any other Russian girls from leaving Eteri or going abroad to train.
It probably says a lot about the kind of warlike nationalism encouraged by Putin.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Just stumbled on this "old" article, "Most decorated figure skaters in Olympic history"

No mention of Protopopov and Grishuk&Platov. :confused: Who the hell made this?:rolleyes: lol

I get it annoys people but is the title not accurate? They do have more Olympic medals...

-------
Really enjoy the Med interview. She is a strong personality for one so young. Curious to see where she is after two years. There is a lot of work to do to make me a fan but I do admire her spirit.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Just stumbled on this "old" article, "Most decorated figure skaters in Olympic history"

No mention of Protopopov and Grishuk&Platov. :confused: Who the hell made this?:rolleyes: lol
I don't get why it's a problem. Protopopovs and G&P have two Oly medals. Everyone else on their list has 3 or more, and only V&M have 5. If your counting Oly medals, which is what the article is about hence the title, then the article is accurate.

lala

I don't get why it's a problem. Protopopovs and G&P have two Oly medals. Everyone else on their list has 3 or more, and only V&M have 5. If your counting Oly medals, which is what the article is about hence the title, then the article is accurate.

The 6th one is Artur Dmitriev JR. Right? How many Oly medals he has? :lol:

Rina RUS

Of course, I don't think, that your "quotes" are a translation, Tinami Amori, because I understand Russian language, your "story" has nothing to do even with Plushenko's version.

given it is a known fact that "Yags bullied and hit Plushenko while at Mishin's"
No, it is not a fact. :) I see, that talkative Plushenko even can't say "yes", when he is asked directly: "Was Yagudin one of the offenders?" - He answers: "Lyokha did something too, some nasty things. Nothing really bad."
If I don't mistake, you speak Russian too? So I guess you know, that "esli on menya i bil" is not "he beat me", but usually something like "I almost can't say, that he beat me, but if he did it..." (and here Evgeni adds that impressive story about football) :yikes:
I don't think, that Evgeni means Alexei literally beat him on teeth, because it is difficult to do it "on the quiet", I don't think, that Evgeni's answers would be so cloudy, if Yagudin did beat him on teeth.

:) By the way, Evgeni also tells, that Mishin kicked him, when Evgeni tried to play football with Yagudin - and Mishin broke a finger on Evgeni's hand, because Evgeni tried to protect himself with his hand. I guess this is a fact indeed - not a cloudy story about "some nasty things".

Lala believes, that Evgeni never said bad things about Yagudin, but we can see, that thanks to Evgeni we have a "fact" without a real story. Yes, I think Yagudin said "go back to your Volgograd" to Evgeni indeed. As for other "facts", I don't get what you call a fact.

As far as I remember, Yagudin doesn't deny. I don't think he should deny. Yagudin only asks: "Not when he was playing the violin?" Or says quietly with a smile: "Yet he says nothing about those cases, when he was wrong". I'm grateful, that I never heard from Yagudin anything like: "Plushenko threw cucumbers at people, when he was a kid."

i want to end this, since people are complaining it is old news.
I don't know why you needed to start telling "stories" which have nothing to do even with Plushenko's version. Of course, you may end it.

Last edited:

lala

Of course, I don't think, that your "quotes" are a translation, Tinami Amori, because I understand Russian language, your "story" has nothing to do even with Plushenko's version.

No, it is not a fact. :) I see, that talkative Plushenko even can't say "yes", when he is asked directly: "Was Yagudin one of the offenders?" - He answers: "Lyokha did something too, some nasty things. Nothing really bad."
If I don't mistake, you speak Russian too? So I guess you know, that "esli on menya i bil" is not "he beat me", but usually something like "I almost can't say, that he beat me, but if he did it..." (and here Evgeni adds that impressive story about football) :yikes:
I don't think, that Evgeni means Alexei literally beat him on teeth, because it is difficult to do it "on the quiet", I don't think, that Evgeni's answers would be so cloudy, if Yagudin did beat him on teeth.

:) By the way, Evgeni also tells, that Mishin kicked him, when Evgeni tried to play football with Yagudin - and Mishin broke a finger on Evgeni's hand, because Evgeni tried to protect himself with his hand. I guess this is a fact indeed - not a cloudy story about "some nasty things".

Lala believes, that Evgeni never said bad things about Yagudin, but we can see, that thanks to Evgeni we have a "fact" without a real story. Yes, I think Yagudin said "go back to your Volgograd" to Evgeni indeed. As for other "facts", I don't get what you call a fact.

As far as I remember, Yagudin doesn't deny. I don't think he should deny. Yagudin only asks: "Not when he was playing the violin?" Or says quietly with a smile: "Yet he says nothing about those cases, when he was wrong". I'm grateful, that I never heard from Yagudin anything like: "Plushenko threw cucumbers at people, when he was a kid."

I don't know why you needed to start telling "stories" which have nothing to do even with Plushenko's version. Of course, you may end it.

Move on, Rina..

Tinami Amori

No, it is not a fact.:) I see, that talkative Plushenko even can't say "yes", when he is asked directly: "Was Yagudin one of the offenders?" - He answers: "Lyokha did something too, some nasty things. Nothing really bad."

First of all "зуботычина" as per dictionary is удар кулаком по зубам - a slang word for a direct fist-hit to the teeth. It is used figuratively sometimes in social settings, but not! when the issue is bulling and punching. Some english equivalents are, when it is not exactly about a teeth-punch - roughed up, harassed physically, punched around.

Final translation - word for word - :D
English
EP: .. After all, Yagudin was locally-born St. Petersburgian. And me, i came from some obscure Volgograd. At that time only Moscow-born skaters trained in Moscow, and in St. Petersburg - respectively, only those born in St. Petersburg. There were very few out-of-towners (outsiders), and i was one of the first ones.

"Shove-off back to your Volgograd" - the phrase i heard from others and mostly from Yagudin.

How did he perceive me? as a boy from some peripheral place, an pushy upstart. Only later, when i started to win at Europe and Worlds, nobody dared to say to me something about "Volgograd" and "peripheral".

And, although Yagudin was older and more experienced, some how i made him feel uneasy. At first i was (skating/being) in his shadow, then began to get to him (he noticed me as a competition) - first on a small level, then more and more, until i hit his nerve (skating quality wise he means .. :lol:). Of course, i continued to get harassed by him. As he was older and stronger. But, as rule (usually), when he would beat me, he did it secretly (when nobody was watching). For example, after training we all would play football. When i score a goal, i immediately get punched/hit, from behind my back on the back of my legs. I did not even have to turn around to see who did it, it was so obvious.

Russian.
И потом Ягудин местный, питерский. А я приехал из какого-то Волгограда. В то время так сложилось, что в Москве занимались фигуристы-москвичи, а в Петербурге - соответственно петербуржцы. Приезжих было мало, и я стал одним из первых.

- Вали в свой Волгоград! - эту фразу я слышал и от других спортсменов, но от Ягудина чаще всего.

Кем я был для него? Мальчиком с периферии, выскочкой. Это потом, когда я начал завоевывать Европу и мир, уже никто не смел сказать мне что-то про Волгоград и периферию.

И, хотя Ягудин был постарше и поопытнее, я его напрягал... Сначала я кружил вокруг, потом начал жалить - сперва потихоньку, потом все сильнее, пока не попал в самую больную точку. Конечно, я получал от него зуботычины. Как от старшего и более сильного. Причем, как правило, если он меня и бил, делал это исподтишка. Например, после тренировки мы играем в футбол. Я забиваю гол и тут же получаю сзади по ногам. Можно даже не смотреть, кто ударил. И так все понятно.

You still have objections that Yag beat Plush?... :D

starrynight

It probably says a lot about the kind of warlike nationalism encouraged by Putin.

Yes and it's things like this that remind me of the recent topical discussion about patriotism vs nationalism.

Spin it a different way and Medvedeva could be interpreted as making great sacrifices to train abroad, leaving her family and friends to try something new to regain form and win again. But then alas nationalism where somehow training with Eteri is a symbol of the national flag prevails and it all descends into ugliness. How on earth did Sambo 70 somehow become a nationalistic symbol of Russia? (I mean obviously because it is producing champions that are beating the rest of the world).

I just really feel sorry for her. I didn't really get the magnitude of it all until I spent some time on Russian language news sites and saw article after article. Mean ones about Evgenia, golden child ones about Zagitova ... (and then just a bunch of ones about Liza Tuktamysheva taking her top off and saying that the only thing better than figure skating is sex (LOL) which was a brief light relief from all the negativity :biggrinbo)

Alilou

Ubercavorter
Oh yes oops they made a mistake with the picture because obviously they mean Artur senior!

lala

I can't believe what is happening with Evgenia. I read the Russian media, forums..Leave alone that young talented girl! Everybody..everybody has opinion on her case..How they can't understand she needs peace and time! No more! And everything will be OK! She will be strong again!

rfisher

Let the skating begin
The problem for Evgenia, is how will this impact her endorsement contracts. If she doesn't make the top 5 at Russian nationals, it impacts her funding levels. If the general public feeling impacts her branding, she could face big financial problems trying to live abroad and paying all the coaching expenses. Unless her family is wealthy, she could face problems far out of her control which would be too bad.

Amantide

I get it annoys people but is the title not accurate? They do have more Olympic medals...

I think people who won two gold medals in their disciplines deserve to be in that list the same way, if not more, than those who won gold, silver or bronze, thanks to team event.
It's not an easy thing to win a gold medal back to back, and indeed there are very few who did it. Js.

Last edited:

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
I've stumbled across some absolutely INSANE Russian trolls on twitter that idolize Trusova and Team Tubertidze to really sickening levels, and tweet the most godawful things about Medvedeva. :scream: They seriously make the hardcore MAGA Twitter bots look tame in comparison. :eek:

I really feel for Med. I know she'll come back stronger than ever, because the girl's work ethic is insane. :respec: In the meantime, I'm glad she's off social media, and I do find it heartening to hear some influential Russian figure skaters offering their support on social medial.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
One thing I never forget is that Med represented Russia in the drug hearing presentations at a very young age. The Russians didn’t pick her for that because she’s a great skater but because she’s unusually mature, well-spoken, convincing and intelligent.

I really hope her skating comes back but this girl isn’t going to be diminished when she takes her skating boots off and does something else.

Tinami Amori

I've stumbled across some absolutely INSANE Russian trolls on twitter that idolize Trusova and Team Tubertidze to really sickening levels, and tweet the most godawful things about Medvedeva. :scream: They seriously make the hardcore MAGA Twitter bots look tame in comparison. :eek:

I really feel for Med. I know she'll come back stronger than ever, because the girl's work ethic is insane. :respec: In the meantime, I'm glad she's off social media, and I do find it heartening to hear some influential Russian figure skaters offering their support on social medial.

I understand that Medvedeva is more flattering now to the "Westerners"... But just as equal trolling and abuse is taking place against Zagitova by media and Med-fans, and on much higher level, by media, some Russian coaches, and some westerners with awful rumors are being spread against Eteri.

Zagitova has been trolled since the night she won Gold in Korea, one of the trolls is Tarasova, the others are Medvedeva's mother, agent, and few sponsors who were counting on her Gold, and then there were few "engaged" and personally interested journalists and TV personalities that helped them.

Medvedeva’s mother works in media and is well connected. Together with Tarasova, Med’s agent, and sponsors, they made sure of two things – a) that Zagitova is not called “Olympic champion” on TV and in the press, but just “Our Champion”, b) that she does not appear on the main central Russian TV Channel 1.

Two main TV shows “Pust Govoryat” and “Night Urgant” right after the Olympics invited Medvedeva, and not Zagitova, as if she did not exist. All praise was given to Medvedeva and Zagitova was put in the shadow.

Here is the clip from “Pust Govoryat” @ 14:00 min, where Medvedeva is there, and Alina’s father is invited instead of Alina. Tarasova (after giving her lip service to Alina) raves and raves about Medvedeva. The show host tries to mention Zagitova, but Tarasova interrupts him and starts saying to the audience and to Zagitova’s father “No, no… Dear Daddy, you must understand, most of us simply love Zhennya more, don’t be offended, that is how it is”… then the TV host who is now very embarrassed, tries to interject something positive about Zagitova, and TAT still wants to talk and then they cut TAT’s mice off… Medvedeva just sat there and had a coy smile the whole time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a_jMIP2oc5Q

For “Night Urgant” they made sure that Medvedeva is invited without Zagitova, instead she came with Bobrova, and the whole talk about Olympics Ladies Singles was based around Medvedeva, without mention of ONE WORD about Zagitova.

Announcement: "Here are our stars of Figure Skating – Medvedeva and Bobrova".. no Zagitova OLYMPIC CHAMP…
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRKyDATdrmQ

Medvedeva and Bobrova asked questions about the Olympics.. no Zagitova OLYMPIC CHAMP… https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZULrfVJCbP0

Med’s team made sure that Zagitova “does not exist” and used every resource to do so.. Many people who were fans of both Zag and Med equally, noticed the game playing, and were not happy….

The whole Eteri's Team is undergoing very bad trolling, including the young skaters.
Here is just one out of 1000's example, the NICER ones... :lol:
https://imgur.com/a/GFH15y3

Medvedeva IS EXAGGERATING the "nationalism" issues. She herself said that she became aware of it when some "40 year old troll guy posted something nasty on her IG". She also said that it has been a while since she used IG/social media, and she has PR Agents handling it for her. She could not have read "all this supposed negativity".

There are no "nationalism" issues in official sports publications and articles. There are some in the "comments" sections by some individuals, but they get attacked for it.

There is criticism of Medvedieva in the press and in blogs, but it is mainly about: a) decreased quality of skating, b) how she treated Eteri, c) disapproval of her "media games and over the top PR" some of which are "untruth" and "manipulation". But most is about "her skating issues" both good and bad.

And there are a lot of articles of support. Basically the more or less responsible sports-publications are addressing the Med's skating issues and are split if the "glass is half full" or "half empty".

Medvedeva is doing damage control, on several levels, by introducing the "nationalism and negativity" issues against her, to take attention off her skating, and to get sympathy.

She is a) not attacked any more than Zagitova, b) attacks against Zagitova started from Olympics, when "Medvedeva's side" could not accept her not winning Gold.

Proof, articles, videos, material is available to confirm practically everything i said.

Last edited:

Perky Shae Lynn

Tinami, has it ever occurred to you that people may be more interested in seeing a more mature (and familiar) Medvedeva than a young Zagitova? What you are describing is one skater being more popular than another. Not a Med conspiracy.

D

Deleted member 40371

Medvedeva will have the last laugh. She is building a new life for herself. Skating almost comes second. I wouldn't be surprised if she ended up going to college in Canada, getting married, and staying here good. Haters gonna hate, as they say. Med took a huge risk, and it will pay off.
Are you now involved in match making ? :scream:

nimi

Raf weighs in on Med (I posted about this FS-gossips interview translation also in another thread)

Medvedeva grew up in the system, when at every competition she was expected to win. Brian Orser in a recent interview said that he would try to explain her: victory at all competitions isn’t necessary. Is it possible to change the mindset?

– Chen is the same – he wants to win everything, even though he grew up in America. Because of this, he had injuries. This is the philosophy of his family. Although I told him: “You have to bring yourself exactly to the important competitions and win them.” Only he did not really listen to me, but now he starts to acknowledge my rightness.

As for Evgenia, I think that such a rebuild will not happen immediately, because everything happens gradually. She can accept Orser’s philosophy only with time. When she left, attacks began, she was called a traitor. What if tomorrow Zagitova wants to leave? Will she also become a traitor? Is this a war game? In general, all the breaks up with the students are not easy. Of course, Eteri Tutberidze was like a mother to her, she helped in everything, but the person wanted to go her own way. And it seems to me that we need to allow her go that. What is she accused of? The fact that she found for herself some kind of solution, that she is more comfortable with Orser? Everyone is looking for comfort, children leave their parents and begin to live separately, people get divorced. Are they all traitors? Media plays an important role in all this, which must be careful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information