Frank Carroll has officially retired.

Cachoo

Article from Phil Hersh on Frank’s retirement with quotes from Frank, Michelle Kwan, Evan Lysacek and others: http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2018/8/1/xk0uxw86ode5u8skad1gobdgpndiwd

Frank is a legend who has had an amazing career and I am happy he will still be involved in skating. I wish Frank all the best in his retirement!

It is hard to imagine competition without Frank. I enjoyed reading the article. Of all things I remember watching Christopher Bowman, in the biggest, frilliest sleeves I've seen on a skating costume, skating/dancing right to the camera and grinning to all of us in TV land and I burst out laughing. I can only imagine the look on Frank's face---to have this incredibly talented (and silly) boy/man. You love him and are exasperated at him at the same time. I give Frank so much credit for trying to keep Bowman grounded even while the "Showman" had fun. Great memories...

bardtoob

I am glad Gracie and Frank have been in contact, and I am glad to see he is proud of her skating, putting Firebird in company with Salome :)

'That is why it meant so much to Carroll that Gracie Gold, whom he coached four years, sent him a text of condolences about Ten. The coach and skater have not talked since their bitter parting at the 2017 nationals.

“She said she knew we didn’t end our relationship on the best note but she wanted me to know how sorry and upset she was about Denis,” Carroll said. “That was very nice of Gracie. I texted her back to say thanks.”'

"Ask Carroll which performances by his athletes stand out the most, and the first two he cited are by skaters with whom his working relationship fractured: Kwan’s “Salome” free skate to win the 1996 worlds (“It’s a beautifully skated and interpreted program that stands the test of time, and she was a baby (15) when she did that”) and Gold’s “Firebird” free skate to win the 2016 national title (“Polina Edmunds skated so fabulously before her. Gracie had to be better, and she was.”)"

Last edited:

SkateFanBerlin

I am glad Gracie and Frank have been in contact, and I am glad to see he is proud of her skating, putting Firebird in company with Salome :)

'That is why it meant so much to Carroll that Gracie Gold, whom he coached four years, sent him a text of condolences about Ten. The coach and skater have not talked since their bitter parting at the 2017 nationals.

“She said she knew we didn’t end our relationship on the best note but she wanted me to know how sorry and upset she was about Denis,” Carroll said. “That was very nice of Gracie. I texted her back to say thanks.”'

"Ask Carroll which performances by his athletes stand out the most, and the first two he cited are by skaters with whom his working relationship fractured: Kwan’s “Salome” free skate to win the 1996 worlds (“It’s a beautifully skated and interpreted program that stands the test of time, and she was a baby (15) when she did that”) and Gold’s “Firebird” free skate to win the 2016 national title (“Polina Edmunds skated so fabulously before her. Gracie had to be better, and she was.”)"

I watch that Firebird program often. It was a wonderfully complex (in a meaningful way) program; Gracie skated beautifully and athletically. Showed that at her very best she was pretty close to Kim's level. There are other great skaters. Zag with her late programs jumps, Carolina with her artistry, Tuk 2015 axel, Osmond athletic and and well rounded. As Weir said that Firebird was an adult class-filled program. Onlhy Med may develop to Gracie's level. (getting a little uber here)

berthesghost

What Salome and Firebird had in common was those two performances were breakthroughs, like suddenly everything finally clicked and the skaters were able to push through from ticking off boxes like "now I move my arm like this before setting up for my combo", to finally living in the moment and feeling the character, being present and not looking like they were mentally thinking about the next trick.

I'm not sure I agree Gracie needed the skate of her life to beat polina. That was no Chen lu 6.0 LP. Jmo.

VGThuy

It was just that Gracie was so behind after the SP that she had a lot of ground to cover, and I think she had to be in the mind set where she had to skate her best. It was like either that or a messy routine with Gracie- no in-between.

bardtoob

I'm not sure I agree Gracie needed the skate of her life to beat polina. That was no Chen lu 6.0 LP. Jmo.

Polina had a five point lead from the SP, so Gracie needed about a 145 to win, which is a huge score for any lady who's coach is not Eteri.

berthesghost

So Frank went to 12 olympics and had medalists at 5! The only interruption seems to be Albertville. 72 and 94 his skaters were only alternates but still, I wouldn’t mind a business trip to Japan or Norway :p

Sylvia

TBD
ETA: Sorry I'm late to seeing this thread... Hersh also has "shared his story about Carroll with SKATING magazine and the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone" (where I saw it today):
Article from Phil Hersh on Frank’s retirement with quotes from Frank, Michelle Kwan, Evan Lysacek and others: http://www.globetrottingbyphiliphersh.com/home/2018/8/1/xk0uxw86ode5u8skad1gobdgpndiwd

An excerpt:
He coached and taught skating for 60 years, beginning as a 20-year-old, and officially ending Aug. 3, 23 days past his 80th birthday, with his retirement as a coach of elite skaters.
"For someone 80 years old to still be at it, still be teaching, is a testament to how devoted he is to the sport," Lysacek said. "I don't know if there will ever be another Frank Carroll."
Carroll might have kept going but for the demands of global travel with elite skaters and the fatigue of having a life in two places, Palm Springs and El Segundo, which are separated by 140 miles and an often-miserable trip on crowded freeways. His consultant's contract with U.S. Figure Skating ended July 31, but he wants to continue working with U.S. Figure Skating, and federation communications director Michael Terry said in an email, "The plan is to continue to keep Frank involved."

Last edited:

Spun Silver

ETA: Sorry I'm late to seeing this thread... Hersh also has "shared his story about Carroll with SKATING magazine and the U.S. Figure Skating Fan Zone" (where I saw it today):

An excerpt:
Thanks for this, Sylvia. I was missing this kind of long retrospective with comments from the skating world upon Frank's retirement. (Note: I tried to write "Carroll's retirement" out of respect but it looked so weird that I couldn't do it, LOL.) Hersh did an excellent job.

Sylvia

TBD
Figure Skating Coach Frank Carroll Drops the Puck at LA Kings Game
"On Sunday night [Dec. 2, 2018], the legendary United States Figure Skating Coach was joined by his past athletes [Fratianne, Lysacek & Kwan] as he dropped the ceremonial first puck at the Kings game" - article with photos & the 3-min. video of the LA Kings' ceremony embedded at the end: https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/figu...l-drops-the-puck-at-la-kings-game/c-302542768

Last sentence:
"Carroll will enjoy retirement at his home in Palm Springs, while continuing to work with U.S. Figure Skating and giving back through the junior development program."

Last edited:

VGThuy

"On Sunday night [Dec. 2, 2018], the legendary United States Figure Skating Coach was joined by his past athletes [Fratianne, Lysacek & Kwan] as he dropped the ceremonial first puck at the Kings game" - article with photos & the 3-min. video of the LA Kings' ceremony embedded at the end: https://www.nhl.com/kings/news/figu...l-drops-the-puck-at-la-kings-game/c-302542768

Last sentence:
"Carroll will enjoy retirement at his home in Palm Springs, while continuing to work with U.S. Figure Skating and giving back through the junior development program."

That was one of the best videos I've seen.

SkateFanBerlin

Very nice long article. I appreciate his recognizing Gold's Firebird. Her National's performance was Olympic worthy. I think only Kim has skated better.

aftershocks

Banned Member

Last sentence:

Thanks for sharing. That put a huge smile on my face. It looks like they all enjoyed themselves. It must have been lots of fun being together and honoring Frank... :D

Sylvia

TBD
Helene Elliott's article on Frank Carroll's retirement (Dec. 7): https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-frank-carroll-elliott-20181207-story.html
Excerpts:
A living link to the past is missing, someone dependable and solid. But for Carroll, tired of the travel and travails of coaching, the timing was right to step away and move full time to the Palm Springs home he has owned for 30 years.
“It feels great,” he said last week before the Kings honored him. He was the guest of honor at a pregame dinner at Staples Center and was joined by Kwan, Lysacek and Fratianne for a ceremonial puck drop.
“I love to watch it,” Carroll said of figure skating. “I put the TV on and watch the competitions and groan and moan about what’s happening to our sport. The rule changes are just horrendous. Because all it is, is moving your arms and legs and doing things, but there’s no real skating, beautiful skating anymore.”
Kwan, who won silver behind Tara Lipinski in 1998, shockingly dropped Carroll as her coach before the 2002 Games so she could take charge of her skating; whether she would have won gold instead of bronze in Salt Lake City if she’d stayed with him is an eternal topic of debate. Their relationship was cool for a while, but they reconciled.
“He was the most fantastic coach, person, friend,” Kwan said. “He’s so giving. It’s never about him. Over the years it’s always been all about making sure we’re OK, are you eating well, are you sleeping well. And I don’t remember, looking back at my career when we were working together, that he ever took a sick day. He was always there, a father figure and somebody that you love so much.”
His influence will last even though he’s not coaching. Fratianne and [Tiffany] Chin coach in El Segundo, as does another of his former students, Bebe Liang. Others are coaching in other rinks, imparting the wisdom Carroll absorbed from Vinson Owen and passed along.
It’s their turn now to change careers and lives, as he did. “There will never be another Frank Carroll,” Fratianne said. “He is one in a billion.”

aftershocks

Banned Member
Frank Carroll: "Because all it is, is moving your arms and legs and doing things, but there’s no real skating, beautiful skating anymore.”

Sadly, Frank is truly on the mark with this comment for the most part. It really is hard to find seamless, beautiful skating these days. I lament the sad ending to Denis Ten's career and obviously his tragic passing and loss to the skating world, and to the world generally. He was definitely a beautiful skater. It's a shame Denis was hampered with physical struggles for so much of his career, and particularly at the end. But he did put together a beautiful legacy as a skater that's unforgettable. I truly believe that Denis' 2014-2015 fp inspired Hanyu to create his Seimei fp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information