Oliver
My Fair Lady
The Parent Trap
Pollyanna
Hello Dolly
Planet of the Apes

And the most favorite of all.....The Sound of Music

KatieC

@quartz, I like your choices. I don't seem to remember movies by dates, unless they're from the 40's. That said, I remember three movies from the sixties:
Flight of the Doves,
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, and
The Three Lives of Thomasina.
The last might qualify as a favourite from that time.

Cachoo

@quartz, I like your choices. I don't seem to remember movies by dates, unless they're from the 40's. That said, I remember three movies from the sixties:
Flight of the Doves,
The Ghost and Mr. Chicken, and
The Three Lives of Thomasina.
The last might qualify as a favourite from that time.

Oh my goodness I didn't know if anyone remembered The Three Lives of Thomasina. Wonderful film.

I was a child and the titles that made me laugh, cry, question and filled with wonder in those years:

Born Free
The Trouble With Angels
Where Angels Go Trouble Follows
To Sir With Love
The Undefeated
West Side Story
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang
The Sound of Music
Romeo and Juliet
See How They Run

And the three that especially resonate with me now:

Inherit the Wind
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner
To Kill a Mockingbird

gk_891

I know I might get crucified for saying this and I know I'm in the minority. But I absolutely can't stand The Sound of Music.

Japanfan

'Midnight Cowboy', '2001: A Space Odyssey' and 'Dr. Strangelove' are the films from that decade that stand out for me.

And although it's cheating, I'll mention 'Woodstock' and 'The Strawberry Statement', both of which came out in 1970. Woodstock the festival actually took place in 1969, in any case.

Both of those films profoundly affected my worldview as a teenager.

aliceanne

Who could forget the drama surrounding Audrey Hepburn being selected to play Eliza Doolittle in "My Fair Lady" over Julie Andrews?

attyfan

Man for All Seasons. Yes, I know that its portrayals of Thomas More and Thomas Cromwell aren't accurate, but IMO it is a great film anyway. (I have the same feeling about Wolf Hall, BTW)

aliceanne

Was Julie Andrews in the running for that role? I didn't know that.

Julie Andrews originated and played the role on Broadway for about two years to sold out shows. The movie role would have been her first starring role in films, and most people expected her to get it.

Audrey Hepburn wasn't a singer and had to be dubbed, but Jack Warner didn't feel Julie Andrews was photogenic enough for movies.

Ironically Andrews won the best actress Oscar award for Mary Poppins that year, beating Hepburn who was nominated for My Fair Lady. Andrews cattily thanked Jack Warner for her win at the Oscar ceremony.

quartz

scratching at the light
Audrey is fab but Julie has been my absolute idol/goddess/icon for my entire life. I am not one for celebrity worship, but Julie is everything. Totally adore her.

Rob

Beach Bum
King of Hearts
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Pink Panther
Any James Bonds

Many of my favorites are already mentioned, notably:
Mary Poppins and Oliver (I was obsessed with these movies when I was a child)
Loved Anne of the Thousand Days and Romeo & Juliet

gk_891

King of Hearts
Breakfast at Tiffany's
The Pink Panther
Any James Bonds

Many of my favorites are already mentioned, notably:
Mary Poppins and Oliver (I was obsessed with these movies when I was a child)
Loved Anne of the Thousand Days and Romeo & Juliet

Breakfast at Tiffany's was great. The only real sour note I thought was Mickey Rooney. I was also surprised when I first read the novella it was based on because it was so different from the movie. But the movie has its own charm.

aliceanne

Audrey is fab but Julie has been my absolute idol/goddess/icon for my entire life. I am not one for celebrity worship, but Julie is everything. Totally adore her.

Audrey Hepburn was fine in the movie, and Julie Andrews bore her no ill will. It was just that role was so associated with Andrews. Jack Warner was old school and Hepburn was an established movie star. Disney was willing to take a chance on Andrews, and the rest is history.

falling_dance

Coaching Patrick
A number of my favorites have been mentioned already. Here are three more:

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
The Rise to Power of Louis XIV
Torn Curtain

VALuvsMKwan

Codger level achieved
Julie Andrews originated and played the role on Broadway for about two years to sold out shows. The movie role would have been her first starring role in films, and most people expected her to get it.

Audrey Hepburn wasn't a singer and had to be dubbed, but Jack Warner didn't feel Julie Andrews was photogenic enough (added by VA - for movies based on her TV appearances. The man was apparently quite blind, but so it goes).

Ironically Andrews won the best actress Oscar award for Mary Poppins that year, beating Hepburn who was nominated for My Fair Lady. Andrews cattily thanked Jack Warner for her win at the Oscar ceremony.

Audrey Hepburn was quite notably NOT nominated, partially IMHO over the casting controversy and partially because Marni Nixon, who dubbed almost all of Audrey's vocals, was quite public about having done that. Audrey did quite delightedly get to present the Best Actor Oscar to Rex Harrison for playing Henry Higgins. Harrison very diplomatically thanked both of his Fair Ladies in his acceptance speech - and Audrey smilingly agreed with him.

Having heard and seen "Wouldn't It Be Loverly", "Just You Wait" (partially sung by Audrey in the film) and "Show Me" redubbed with Audrey's vocal tracks, I think that the emotion and acting in them was far more appropriate to that of Eliza's character than Marni's pretty but bland vocals.

Audrey took the role only after verifying with Jack Warner that there was absolutely no chance that he would cast Julie. She figured at that point that she had as much right as anyone to go for the part.

BTW, I adore Julie Andrews as well - Jack Warner was a fool not to at least let her screen test for it, but Julie got her revenge and more.

Jot the Dot Dot

Headstrong Buzzard
I see that "Planet Of The Apes" was mentioned twice. I'll list it as well, along with two others I can think of now: The Beatle's Help, and The Great Escape.

Dasia

Oops, haven't posted in a while and had to edit. Good question, I enjoyed being reminded of some great movies like Dr. Strangelove, The Great Escape and Lawrence of Arabia.

I'd add:

Two for the Road
Zorba the Greek
Splendor in the Grass
Elmer Gantry
Fahrenheit 451
The Music Man
Zulu

paskatefan

The Music Man
Oliver!
Mary Poppins