Favorite Movie Scenes

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
I haven't seen Washington Square yet, but I've been meaning to. I would be happy to answer any questions you may have, but I fear I may not be knowledgeable enough to answer. It's been a while since I've seen the film.
I have seen Washington Square with my beloved Albert Finney. Also, have read the Henry James. Perhaps I could answer the questions

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
Washington Square film is on youtube, legit. and unblocked.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4wWw3lpXqY
My questions relate to comparison of the 2 films to the original novel plot, because i am not clear about "intentions" of the few characters from reading the novel, and have different impressions from the 2 films:
- why was the Aunt so interested in the Boy and his future? she said he is like a son to her, but is there more to it? is she in love with him? wants to be "important in someone's life"? has resentment towards family's fortune and status and wants to bring them down to earth? just a meddling busy-body?
- did the Father actually disliked his daughter, or was his simply a cynic by nature and over protective?
- did he deserve to be loathed by Daughter (and abandoned in his last hours as shown in the first film)?
- did the Boy had strictly pragmatic intentions, or did he have some feelings? etc..
The Aunt, IIRC was getting some kind of frisson over her niece’s romantic involvement. I don’t think she had any personal interests. I’d go with the meddling busy-body.

My take on the father was being over protective but also extremely demeaning and occasionally cruel. By cruel I don’t mean the conditions of her inheritance, but every day sarcastic remarks that chip away at your soul. I’d say an overprotective cynic with a cruel streak. He wasn’t made a physician for nothing. He has seen just how ugly life (and death) get and he didn’t want what he considered a disastrous marriage for his daughter.

Did he deserve to be loathed? I can’t answer that. What do you think?

Finally, I think her suitor was pretty mercenary in his intentions.

ToFarAwayTimes

Vietgrl, have you seen Ozu's Dragnet Girl? It's a somewhat self-conscious gangster film from 1933.

Very flashy and much more like a Hollywood silent. Different subject matter from the family movies he's known for, but still has the same heart. Kinuyo Tanaka gives a magnificent acting performance as the psychologically fragile and impulsive girlfriend. She's a real femme fatale.

I wish I could post the last 20-25 minutes with the added music score commissioned by Criterion, but it's nowhere to be found online. Just have to watch it on Filmstruck or buy the "3 Ozu Crime Dramas" DVD set. The ending is the perfect combination of thrills, suspense, comedy, and feels.

gk_891

Vietgrl, have you seen Ozu's Dragnet Girl? It's a somewhat self-conscious gangster film from 1933.

Very flashy and much more like a Hollywood silent. Different subject matter from the family movies he's known for, but still has the same heart. Kinuyo Tanaka gives a magnificent acting performance as the psychologically fragile and impulsive girlfriend. She's a real femme fatale.

I wish I could post the last 20-25 minutes with the added music score commissioned by Criterion, but it's nowhere to be found online. Just have to watch it on Filmstruck or buy the "3 Ozu Crime Dramas" DVD set. The ending is the perfect combination of thrills, suspense, comedy, and feels.

Wow, there's so much of Ozu I haven't seen yet. I need to dig up more of his stuff.

ToFarAwayTimes

Wow, there's so much of Ozu I haven't seen yet. I need to dig up more of his stuff.

Highly recommended from the silent era:

I Was Born, But ... (1932)
Dragnet Girl (1933)
A Story of Floating Weeds (1934)
An Inn in Tokyo (1935)

Of course, he remade Floating Weeds in color in 1959.

I'm about to watch his first talkie, The Only Son (1936).

Japanfan

Another one just came to mind:

It was in 'The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo' trilogy, where she tatoos 'I am a rapist' onto the chest of the man who raped her. :p

gk_891

Highly recommended from the silent era:

I Was Born, But ... (1932)
Dragnet Girl (1933)
A Story of Floating Weeds (1934)
An Inn in Tokyo (1935)

Of course, he remade Floating Weeds in color in 1959.

I'm about to watch his first talkie, The Only Son (1936).

I've seen Floating Weeds from 1959 (and really liked it) but haven't seen the silent original. I'll have to look for it.

gk_891

The Piano
The scene when Ada and Flora are taken to the beach and Ada is reunited with her piano.

The Piano had a lot of good scenes.

Have you seen An Angel at My Table? It's by the same director but IMO it was even better than The Piano.

ToFarAwayTimes

@VIETgrlTerifa and @gk_891 and everyone else,

If you like Ozu, make sure to check out Hiroshi Shimizu's beautiful road film Mr. Thank You (1936). I promise you will love it. The entire story is about a rickety bus trip through rural, seaside and mountainous Japan; the veritable kindness of the bus driver, so-named because of the many "arigato!" exclamations he shouts at pedestrians who make way for his bus on the narrow roads, and the brief interactions and encounters of his various passengers. There is a 17 year old girl whose mother accompanies her to be sold into prostitution in Tokyo, a bold modern woman who points out hypocrisies, cracks jokes, smokes and drinks, but mostly is just longing for love, a rude businessman with a fake mustache who is the constant target for the modern woman's comedy, laborers who are just happy to drink and sing on their way to work, schoolboys hitching illegal rides on the back bumper, wedding guests and others just getting on and off the bus.

Above all, there are the beautiful shots of the Japanese countryside and its people during the worst of the Great Depression, and Mr. Arigato-san himself-- the man who offers many acts of kindness to his passengers and the local villagers he meets along the road. Clearly he has earned affection and devotion from a loyal fanbase, and perhaps the most remarkable moment in the film comes when the bus stops for a break. Although not explicitly stated, a woman who is a forced Korean laborer walks up to Mr. Thank You and asks him for a favor after she and her family have shed their blood and tears constructing the very road he uses every day. The director Hiroshi Shimizu apparently saw this woman walking down the road by chance, and felt compelled to include her and her story in his film. Like Ozu, Shimizu was a great humanist of the highest order.

And every mile that passes by, the girl and her mother get closer to their destination. What will happen to them? Or any of the passengers for that matter? It's a film where people share a few hours with each other and then move on with their lives, with darker sociopolitical undercurrents, but one that never ceases to be funny, endearing, cheerful, and optimistic.

Highly recommended little-known film if you are into these kinds of movies. I will be sad when Filmstruck goes away at the end of this month and films like this become more difficult if not impossible to find.

gk_891

If you like Ozu, make sure to check out Hiroshi Shimizu's beautiful road film [B]Mr. Thank You[/B] (1936). I promise you will love it. The entire story is about a rickety bus trip through rural, seaside and mountainous Japan; the veritable kindness of the bus driver, so-named because of the many "arigato!" exclamations he shouts at pedestrians who make way for his bus on the narrow roads, and the brief interactions and encounters of his various passengers. There is a 17 year old girl whose mother accompanies her to be sold into prostitution in Tokyo, a bold modern woman who points out hypocrisies, cracks jokes, smokes and drinks, but mostly is just longing for love, a rude businessman with a fake mustache who is the constant target for the modern woman's comedy, laborers who are just happy to drink and sing on their way to work, schoolboys hitching illegal rides on the back bumper, wedding guests and others just getting on and off the bus.

Above all, there are the beautiful shots of the Japanese countryside and its people during the worst of the Great Depression, and Mr. Arigato-san himself-- the man who offers many acts of kindness to his passengers and the local villagers he meets along the road. Clearly he has earned affection and devotion from a loyal fanbase, and perhaps the most remarkable moment in the film comes when the bus stops for a break. Although not explicitly stated, a woman who is a forced Korean laborer walks up to Mr. Thank You and asks him for a favor after she and her family have shed their blood and tears constructing the very road he uses every day. The director Hiroshi Shimizu apparently saw this woman walking down the road by chance, and felt compelled to include her and her story in his film. Like Ozu, Shimizu was a great humanist of the highest order.

Thank you for this. It is good to hear that a movie like this exists. IMO, Japan (in general) has not done the greatest job in acknowledging their violent past like Germany has, relatively speaking. It's to my understanding that Japan was big on slave labour back in the day so it's good that there is some acknowledgement about this.

VGThuy

Reviving this thread to share this scene:

I think this scene got to me more than any other this past year, not that I've seen a lot of movies.

cocotaffy

Fetchez la vache... mais fetchez la vache !
Funny you revived that thread as I was literally watching this very interesting analysis of, according to the author, the best 10 minutes sequence in Parasite. I tend to agree though that 10 minutes sequence right at the middle of the movie is masterful and that video explains it in an insightful manner.
But beware, huge spoiler alert DO NOT WATCH İF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE MOVİE. You have been warned ;)

gk_891

Sorry if I'm posting any duplicates here.

Scene from Autumn Sonata

famous kiss scene from Sunday Bloody Sunday (Bob was with his female lover in the previous scene)
- a lot of people thought the two actors looked uncomfortable but I honestly didn't think so

key scene from Dogville (I thought Nicole Kidman was excellent in this)

ending scenes from Dogville

death scene from Cries and Whispers

cygnus

Reviving this thread to share this scene:

I think this scene got to me more than any other this past year, not that I've seen a lot of movies.

I loved this scene too- and also this one is another favourite from the same movie. I have seen all the versions of Little Women and read the book many times- and this version, I think, did the best with the Amy/Laurie relationship.

gk_891

The Harder They Come, features my favourite song from a film and this scene shows the main character recording the song (the movie is about him trying to escape poverty through singing)

VGThuy

I loved this scene too- and also this one is another favourite from the same movie. I have seen all the versions of Little Women and read the book many times- and this version, I think, did the best with the Amy/Laurie relationship.

I read a joke online recently that they love the film where Saorise Ronan has two love interests and moves to New York...and I was like wait a minute...Lady Bird, Little Women, and Brooklyn... :lol:. Despite that common thread, I believe those three movies are vastly different takes on a young woman finding her place in life or how she's going to try to figure it out by the end or at least come to terms with the fact it's a lifelong process and will change a few times as she enters different stages of life.

AngieNikodinovLove (ANL)

The Harem is now taking applications 😝
in 2001 Nicole Kidman had 2 movies.... Moulin Rouge.. and (what I believe was even better) The Others.

Did anyone see The Others, and if so what did you think of that awesome, crazy twist????? SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

pollyanna

olympic

in 2001 Nicole Kidman had 2 movies.... Moulin Rouge.. and (what I believe was even better) The Others.

Did anyone see The Others, and if so what did you think of that awesome, crazy twist????? SO GOOD!!!!!!!!!!
It was good. It caught me off-guard. I don't consider myself a Nicole Kidman fan and invariably find myself criticizing her just because ... :EVILLE:

olympic

Fave movie scenes. I interpret this as something I can watch over and over and get the same response (?). In no particular order -

- Silence of the Lambs: Clarice in Buffalo Bill's house, particularly the moment where she casually sees the Death's Head Moth alighting on the dining room table, and you can see the light bulb go on in her head.

-The Devil Wears Prada: Any no. of scenes! LOL - Miranda Priestly entering the building, the interview, dropping off the mock-up at Miranda's townhouse.

-Zodiac: Opening scene. Well-done creepiness and great soundtrack by Donovan (chaotic sounds really define 1969 well).

-Cabaret: Mein Lieber Herr number

-Dangerous Liaisons: Final confrontation between the Marquise de Merteuil and Valmont where she announces her victory over him

-Misery: Sledgehammer. Enough said. I think everyone understands. LOL. It was at that point you realize how mentally ill Annie Wilkes is!

-Carrie: Prom scene, naturally. The bullied HS girl has had enough -> Revenge

-The Exorcist: A couple of scenes. The Archeologist's discovery of the idol in the desert of Iraq, and the sense of foreboding as he starts to see the chaos around him. Also, Regan MacNeill's first emergency home visit by the doctor, among other scenes. You realize something is really wrong. I often wonder if this movie could be made today in the same way. Permissive 70s.

-Sophie's Choice: Sophie's harrowing flashbacks; all of them, not just the final heart-rending one.

-Saving Private Ryan: The opening invasion scene and the final battle complete w/ Edith Piaf

-American Beauty: Any scene w/ Annette Benning. She just plays neurotic, suburban working mom so well ...

-Schindler's List: Both the destruction of the Krakow Ghetto and the final credits

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information