Exercise post wrist injury

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Hate to start a thread but not sure where else to ask and I am desperately interested in peoples experience regarding exercise post wrist surgery. In particular swimming.

Broke wrist 5 weeks ago, had surgery and metal plate to put it back together, next week I go for 6 week x-ray and checkup. Prior to this my go to exercise was a daily hour swim and I am dying to get back into the pool . Obviously I will and can ask the doctors opinion next and he did mention previously to avoid pulling and pushing for a few months which one kind of does while swimming, So I would love to hear from anyone who experienced similar and how they fared. It´s still winter here with snow and ice on the walking paths so I am still afraid to walk outside and I just really need to get some outside and breathe some fresh air (I go to outdoor heated pool).

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
Do EXACTLY what the DR says.....o more-no less. That is the key to success.

signed------------Queen of REHAB

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Had ORIF surgery on my right wrist, complete with plate, just before Thanksgiving, having tripped over a curb taking out the trash. And being a woman of a certain age. Didn‘t even have a good story for the bad fracture.:lol:

At six weeks I could kind of drive, wearing the splint, and using my right hand. I’m not a jock, but I do tend to be stoic about pain, and I was not amused.

I can’t imagine swimming then, but if your OT says it would help, go for it:)

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
The only reaction I have to your post is: the pools are open where you are?! Lucky

They closed for a moment to figure out how to proceed through all this, check with public health etc... and implement guidelines. Who knows, by the time I am allowed to swim they will probably be closed. But the pools here are mostly outdoors and they had very strict hygiene rules before this outbreak and now they are staggering entries to keep numbers down and space between people which they say the science seems to say that the main concern with pools is social distancing. I have a gym membership in Canada as well and while it´s a very clean club I wouldn't be using the pool there as I don't trust how clean the people are who enter the pool and I think it's impossible

Had ORIF surgery on my right wrist, complete with plate, just before Thanksgiving, having tripped over a curb taking out the trash. And being a woman of a certain age. Didn‘t even have a good story for the bad fracture.:lol:

Mine happened at the pool, slipped on the tile ;)

MacMadame: That was a smaller indoor pool where I did aqua fitness and I won't be going back there until this virus is under control because the size is such that you could only have three in the change room and pool and one in the shower if you wanted to keep a safe distance.

clairecloutier

I broke my wrist about 6 years ago while skating. It was a pretty bad break, with 4 or 5 fractures, so I had surgery. They also had me do PT/OT on it for about 2 months. I would just follow whatever the recommended advice is in terms of exercise. That's what I did. I eased back into it gradually, didn't push things at all. Now, my wrist is great, and I often forget I ever had the surgery.

Rob

Beach Bum
Are you in PT/OT yet? This is essential to getting back range of motion. Must do exactly what the PT/OT prescribes, including in office visits and home exercises. Especially with arms because they are non weight bearing and do not hold muscle tone as easily. And you absolutely need to be able to carry things, open doors with a key, etc.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Are you in PT/OT yet? This is essential to getting back range of motion. Must do exactly what the PT/OT prescribes, including in office visits and home exercises. Especially with arms because they are non weight bearing and do not hold muscle tone as easily. And you absolutely need to be able to carry things, open doors with a key, etc.

Yes, I have my list of exercises I do daily and next visit is in 7 days. Was curious to hear others experiences especially relating to swimming :)

Appreciate the replies :) Will just let this thread drift away and get back to worrying about finding hand sanitizers etc..

MacMadame

Doing all the things
They closed for a moment to figure out how to proceed through all this, check with public health etc... and implement guidelines.
Our pools here one by one closed even before the shelter in place order. With that order, the rest closed. The pool itself is fine but locker rooms are petri dishes at the best of times and also in some places they are tiny and cramped. I would love it if they could figure out how to keep them open but will have to swim in the lake for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information