Cat help needed - not eating post surgery

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Okay my two year old black kitty Lucy post surgery has not been eating.

The saga started a couple of weeks ago when she ate some cotton and then required surgery to remove it. So far she has been back and forth to a couple of local vets quite a few times before the surgery and since then. She had the surgery at my regular vet but needed to make a visit to the emergency vet over the public holidays to deal with a weeping wound and temperature which cost a fortune ($1700 for one night stay). After all that I have spent at least $5K on vet fees. The cotton keeps going up in value.

Anyway apart from now being in debt, she is not eating or drinking much at all. I know it was major surgery but she is recovering and personality wise is back to her normal self. Except when I am trying to give her medicine and then I am the worst person in the world. But she is not nasty, just withdraws.

She has nibbled at some dry food but I haven't seen her drink. I have tried administering water and food via syringe which is difficult (well you wouldn't like having a syringe stuck in your mouth against your will).

I have brought a wide variety of foods, including those treat sticks, kitty broths and other varieties of wet food. I have even given her kitten food which I had from doing fostering. I have put foods directly in front of her to see if she will take a bite (that is how I know she has eaten some dried food). I have even given her stuff like bread, yoghurt and cheese to see if that will stimulate anything. At one point she had the most magnificent tasting plate you have ever seen.

I have tried not to keep her locked in the spare room thinking that some normality might start the eating again. And this morning she behaved like she wanted breakfast but again would not eat what I put out.

Help! This is getting very very frustrating. Any suggestions?

Hedwig

Antique member
Try tuna. It is not good for cats in big quantities (but neither is cheese or some of the other examples) but I have yet to see a cat who does not eat it.

Other than that- give her time. If she does not seem starved and too weak, maybe she is just healing and takes her time.

leilaofpaper

How long ago did she have the surgery? I think it might also be worth giving a vet a call and asking whether this is to be expected. If it’s been less than a week i wouldn’t worry too much.

I would focus more on the food than the water unless your cat is visibly dehydrated. One of my cats I swear never drinks water (or at least never does when anyone is in the room) and is fine, cats are pretty good at seeking out water when they need it. She might also be getting some fluids from the medicine if it’s being administered by syringe.

As for the food, I admire your efforts but it may be best to start with small amounts of wet food you know she likes. A large amount might be overwhelming for her, it’s also possible that some of the medication she’s on is causing nausea.

Annica S

Many cats really loves Purina Pro Plans Fortiflora on top on their food and thinks its really tasty.
Have you tried some boiled white fish ?Hope that your cat seems better soon .

Garden Kitty

Tranquillo
I recall when the garden kitty wasn't well, the vet gave me something to help stimulate his appetite. I don't recall what it was, but it was something I put on the food. And I know it's not generally good for them, but I have tried baby food on a very limited basis when my first cat wasn't well.
Sorry to hear of kitty's troubles, and I hope this is just a reaction to the surgery and she'll resume her normal eating patterns soon.

Cachoo

I'm so sorry Lucy is not eating. I don't have any answers but I certainly wish you the best. (Boo does too.) Please keep us posted if you have time. I do wonder if it takes time to settle back into a routine.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Try meat baby food (ham, chicken or turkey - I'd probably get one of each to see).

I hope Lucy will be back to her prior self soon.

sk8pics

Is she using the litter box? And peeing roughly at least once in 24 hours?

The vet should be able to give you an appetite stimulant. There is one that is a cream that you rub in the cat’s ear (and be sure to wear gloves when you do that!).

When Bradley was being super picky I found that he loved Fussie Cat purées. He likes all the seafood ones, so if your cat generally likes seafood maybe that would help. It’s in a tube that you squeeze, so I would put about half into a bowl, put some dry food on top, and then put the rest of the purée on top of the dry food. I’d say, maybe just start with the purée and see if she likes it. You can even put just a little water in it.

I second the suggestion to concentrate on wet food; it’s important that the cat gets enough water. Bradley likes all sorts of Fancy Feast varieties and he also likes Tastefuls.

Good luck. Do check with the vet if she continues without much of an appetite or desire for water. Given all you’ve done so far, maybe they will give you an appetite stimulant without making you bring her in…

rfisher

Let the skating begin
There is a special food for post op. It's rapidly digestable. See if your vet carries it as you can't buy it in a store. The cat can eat it or you can thin it and use a catheter tip syringe if necessary.

DynamicMutation

I’m a human doctor and not a vet, but has kitty passed gas or pooped?

If kitty’s had abdominal or intestinal surgery the big worry is that the tract is “lazy” (ileus) or blocked (possibly partial obstruction, for a number of reasons).

Kitty will never have any appetite if things aren’t or are unable to move moving. If it was a full obstruction then kitty would probably have already thrown up whatever he tried to consume.

If personality is back that sounds reassuring! It is truly possible she just needs a little more time.

Big scratches behind the ears to the little one!

Japanfan

I strongly disagree with 'give it time'.

We had a cat that didn't eat for a few days - she was upset and just hid under the bed for a few days after Mr. Japanfan and I moved in together, each of us having three cats.

I did not know that this could could fatty liver disease, which it did.

We got her to the vet too late. She died in bed with us.

She was the only soul animal I have ever had.:wuzrobbed
:(

skatfan

Your cat could have a blockage or be constipated if the litterbox isn’t being used. Call your vet, don’t wait.

Aussie Willy

In answer to questions, her bowels and urinary system is working. She can go to the toilet.

She also has enough fat on her that she will survive. But I don't want her to lose too much weight either.

I have been only giving small amounts of food but she is not even interested in that.

I have just come home after being out all day. She has not eaten or drunk any water which considering it is a warm day is concerning. Just tried to give her the antibiotics. She is on three of them (two tablets and one liquid) which she refused to take and threw back up. Before that I syringed some broth into her mouth which she took. So that has been thrown back up. I gave here some of that treat paste mixed with water and syringed that after it. But it is a fight to give her anything. I have been pussy burritoing her to do it. The vets actually gave her heavy doses of antibiotics when she was there yesterday so maybe that will just have to do.

My regular vet is closed until Tuesday and I cannot afford to take her back to the after hours vet because they charge a fortune. Even if I rang them up they would say they need to see her and that could be another $1500 because they would keep her overnight. I just don't have that money in my bank accounts to be able to pay immediately.

I am at my wits end and this is stressing me out and extremely upsetting. I hate having to force feed her the medication because I know it terrifies her and is verging on the point of cruelty. And trying to ram food and liquid down her throat is horrible and I don't think helps either. But I also cannot afford to go into any more debt for this cat (which is what I have had to do). And thinking like that makes me feel like sh*t. Unless she starts drinking and eating on her own, I don't think apart from seeing if she will do it herself that I can do much more until Tuesday when I can get back to my regular vet.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
There is a special food for post op. It's rapidly digestable. See if your vet carries it as you can't buy it in a store.
This - our vet in the UK used to stock a special Hill's brand food that cats couldn't seem to resist. But that's obviously for when the vet is open again.

In the meantime, I second the earlier suggestion of a small amount of tuna. You can put the liquid antiibotic into that. I'd also let it sit for a little while before serving (maybe half an hour). One of our cats takes liquid kitty-valium and I find leaving it to 'ferment' into a mix of tuna and regular wet food means it's more likely to get eaten. I'd give up on the tablets at this point - trying to administer them is obviously stressing both cat and human and if kitty hasn't had them by now it's not going to happen. Maybe without the stress of trying to force the tablets (however you're doing it) might help encourage kitty to eat by making things seem more normal.

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Last edited:

rfisher

Let the skating begin
This - our vet in the UK used to stock a special Hill's brand food that cats couldn't seem to resist. But that's obviously for when the vet is open again.
I'm surprised the vet didn't send some home. My vet always does after any surgical procedure because it is so rapidly digested. Even if an animal is throwing up, it passes through the stomach so quickly, they will still get the nutritional benefit.

sk8pics

@Aussie Willy I’m sorry you‘re having such a hard time with your baby.

So you tried the Fussie Cats purée sort of thing? If so, did she eat it? If she did, just keep feeding her that until you can call the vet on Tuesday. I know you said she has enough fat to survive, but cats can start to develop liver damage within about 24 hours if they don’t eat at all. It sounds like she is eating a tiny bit, so that’s good.

I would also suggest sitting on the floor with her and feeding her by hand. All my cats have eaten something that way when they were otherwise not eating much. I think sometimes they don’t feel well, and then they don’t eat, and then because they’re not eating they don’t feel well, and so on. So maybe just pick something she has normally liked and try feeding her some by hand. That could mean literally picking up dry food and letting her eat it out of your hand or even scooping up a bit of wet food on your fingers and letting her eat it.

I will cross my fingers for you and your little baby!

Judy

Okay my two year old black kitty Lucy post surgery has not been eating.

The saga started a couple of weeks ago when she ate some cotton and then required surgery to remove it. So far she has been back and forth to a couple of local vets quite a few times before the surgery and since then. She had the surgery at my regular vet but needed to make a visit to the emergency vet over the public holidays to deal with a weeping wound and temperature which cost a fortune ($1700 for one night stay). After all that I have spent at least $5K on vet fees. The cotton keeps going up in value.

Anyway apart from now being in debt, she is not eating or drinking much at all. I know it was major surgery but she is recovering and personality wise is back to her normal self. Except when I am trying to give her medicine and then I am the worst person in the world. But she is not nasty, just withdraws.

She has nibbled at some dry food but I haven't seen her drink. I have tried administering water and food via syringe which is difficult (well you wouldn't like having a syringe stuck in your mouth against your will).

I have brought a wide variety of foods, including those treat sticks, kitty broths and other varieties of wet food. I have even given her kitten food which I had from doing fostering. I have put foods directly in front of her to see if she will take a bite (that is how I know she has eaten some dried food). I have even given her stuff like bread, yoghurt and cheese to see if that will stimulate anything. At one point she had the most magnificent tasting plate you have ever seen.

I have tried not to keep her locked in the spare room thinking that some normality might start the eating again. And this morning she behaved like she wanted breakfast but again would not eat what I put out.

Help! This is getting very very frustrating. Any suggestions?
What about wet cat food (like the canned?) any reaction to that?

it’s only been two week .. I’d check in with your kitty’s regular vet .. keep trying to encourage drinking. Drinking is the most important …

Judy

However a quick - and very accurate way to check for hydration is: A quick way to test is by lightly pinching the skin on their back or at the top of their head. Well-hydrated skin will bounce back with ease, while dehydrated skin will take a little longer to retract. If your pup is severely dehydrated, their skin will not return back to normal

Judy

However a quick - and very accurate way to check for hydration is: A quick way to test is by lightly pinching the skin on their back or at the top of their head. Well-hydrated skin will bounce back with ease, while dehydrated skin will take a little longer to retract. If your pup is severely dehydrated, their skin will not return back to normal
You can do it around the back of the neck area too. It might be the meds changing appetite etc. too.

Japanfan

My regular vet is closed until Tuesday and I cannot afford to take her back to the after hours vet because they charge a fortune. Even if I rang them up they would say they need to see her and that could be another $1500 because they would keep her overnight. I just don't have that money in my bank accounts to be able to pay immediately.

What a horrible situation to be in, @Aussie Willy. Those of us with pets can relate.

Here's you may as well just count yourself out about $500. the minute you step into the door of a regular vet. Of course, you go anyway.

But emerg is another story - makes me angry they charge to much. Seems they shouldn't have to as they vets and staff on hand anyway. The extra required to cover overnight shift payments shouldn't make that huge of a difference.

I am at my wits end and this is stressing me out and extremely upsetting. I hate having to force feed her the medication because I know it terrifies her and is verging on the point of cruelty. And trying to ram food and liquid down her throat is horrible and I don't think helps either. But I also cannot afford to go into any more debt for this cat (which is what I have had to do). And thinking like that makes me feel like sh*t. Unless she starts drinking and eating on her own, I don't think apart from seeing if she will do it herself that I can do much more until Tuesday when I can get back to my regular vet.

:wuzrobbed

Fingers crossed for you.

Aussie Willy

Thanks everyone for your concerns and suggestions. Okay an update.

I did get an appetite stimulant from the After Hours vet. I rang them up because I was so miserable about it all (what a way to spend new years) and said she is my cat and this is what I want to try. Picked it up on the stroke of midnight. As they already had her on record they didn't need to see her and just gave me some. It was in capsule form so gave her that last night which went down. She has tasted some food but not really eaten much. A friend suggested giving her anchovies which she did show an interest in and at least tasted.

Solve the medicine problem which might help others. The vet nurse suggested putting the antibiotics into a gel capsule that you can buy from the chemist as one of the antibiotics is really stinky and horrible to take. It worked!!! I was able to get the capsule into her.

I am going to continue to syringing water into her and some of that puree stuff or broth too which will go down easily. But the medicine was the thing that was terrifying her the most so hopefully with the capsule that will be easier and she can just be stubbon.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Our emergency vet service is also "the" high-tech pet hospital in the area so sometimes a regular vet sends you there for treatments they can't do like a CT scan. Because of that, I have learned a bit about how to handle them because they tend to want to keep your animal overnight, schedule high-tech tests, and always charge an emergency fee. I have pushed back and was able to get them to come up with cheaper options.

For example, instead of having my dog there for 36-48 hours for observation/rest and a CT scan, I took him home and put him on "medical bedrest" until we could get him in for a scheduled CT scan. By scheduling it, there was no longer an emergency fee so I saved $250 there and I saved a couple of thousand by not having him in their Level 4 hospital setting but keeping him from running around at home.

It sounds like you were able to do something like that this time too by not having them see your cat but just having you pick up something.

Judy

Thanks everyone for your concerns and suggestions. Okay an update.

I did get an appetite stimulant from the After Hours vet. I rang them up because I was so miserable about it all (what a way to spend new years) and said she is my cat and this is what I want to try. Picked it up on the stroke of midnight. As they already had her on record they didn't need to see her and just gave me some. It was in capsule form so gave her that last night which went down. She has tasted some food but not really eaten much. A friend suggested giving her anchovies which she did show an interest in and at least tasted.

Solve the medicine problem which might help others. The vet nurse suggested putting the antibiotics into a gel capsule that you can buy from the chemist as one of the antibiotics is really stinky and horrible to take. It worked!!! I was able to get the capsule into her.

I am going to continue to syringing water into her and some of that puree stuff or broth too which will go down easily. But the medicine was the thing that was terrifying her the most so hopefully with the capsule that will be easier and she can just be stubbon.
So happy for you. Trust me I’ve been through somewhat the same sh*t with my pups. How does the litter box look as far as pee? I do strongly feel your kitty will be ok. Take a picture of your cotton ball monster 🥰.

Last edited:

Judy

Our emergency vet service is also "the" high-tech pet hospital in the area so sometimes a regular vet sends you there for treatments they can't do like a CT scan. Because of that, I have learned a bit about how to handle them because they tend to want to keep your animal overnight, schedule high-tech tests, and always charge an emergency fee. I have pushed back and was able to get them to come up with cheaper options.

For example, instead of having my dog there for 36-48 hours for observation/rest and a CT scan, I took him home and put him on "medical bedrest" until we could get him in for a scheduled CT scan. By scheduling it, there was no longer an emergency fee so I saved $250 there and I saved a couple of thousand by not having him in their Level 4 hospital setting but keeping him from running around at home.

It sounds like you were able to do something like that this time too by not having them see your cat but just having you pick up something.
Yes I had a fight with my emergency vet about 10 years ago. I will always, always, always pay fairly but long story short we met with the owner and he gave a substantial refund. My situation was different from yours but they misquoted price and never explained their prices going up by a HUGE amount daily. They did save my pup’s life though.

sk8pics

I had to take Leo to an emergency vet once because I was not sure if he’d swallowed a screw. I later found the screw in the hem of my pants. :wall: But off we went to the ER. They checked him out and took x-rays. That was all fine. And the vet took me in the back to show me the actual x-ray; I passed Leo and he was all, “MOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!” when he saw me. What pissed me off was when he said that he could see there was no screw but we had to have a radiologist read it. There was a $25 fee for just the radiologist looking at it.:mad:

Another time, Callie was not eating right and I was planning a trip, so I took her in. They did all kinds of testing on her and the vet called me to tell me nothing had turned up, “But we still can’t rule out cancer or some other illnesses so I want to keep her and do more testing.” I put my foot down at that point and said, “No. Here’s what we’re going to do. You’re going to give her an appetite stimulant and I’m going to take her home and see how she is.” And that’s what happened. And she was fine.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Great tip. It's so difficult to get medicine into cats. A lot of them get wise to crumbled up tablets in food very quickly and then won't eat it, and obviously trying to get a tablet down their throats risks life and limb and stresses both cat and owner. We pay extra to get liquid medication that has a fish taste we can squirt on food for one of our cats and even then it was trial and error to find the best option for food to mix it into. Vets don't tend to immediately offer that because it's a special order and not everyone can afford the extra cost. Now we just know to check if it's an option.

Aussie Willy

Thanks again everyone. Kitty update.

Personality wise she is pretty much back to normal. She got quite excited by a fly before.

Was wanting food this morning so she must be hungry but just doesn't have much of an appetite. She had some beef in jelly. I did syringe some paste mixed with water so was able to get a few millilitres into her. But I also put small pieces of chopped chicken on her feet when she was laying down and she ate them very slowly. So have been giving her some of that every couple of hours. Not much but at least it is something and she is eating it.

So hoping things have turned a corner.

Judy

Personality wise she is pretty much back to normal. She got quite excited by a fly before.

Was wanting food this morning so she must be hungry but just doesn't have much of an appetite. She had some beef in jelly. I did syringe some paste mixed with water so was able to get a few millilitres into her. But I also put small pieces of chopped chicken on her feet when she was laying down and she ate them very slowly. So have been giving her some of that every couple of hours. Not much but at least it is something and she is eating it.

Sooo happy to hear this! I’m sorry you went through so much stress. Been there and done that .. it’s an awful feeling. Sending you two lots of ❤️.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C

Best wishes to kitty and you. May be you could take her to the vet tomorro?

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information