Evgenia Medvedeva out of 2018 Worlds

Ka3sha

http://www.fsrussia.ru/intervyu/3644-evgeniya-medvedeva-propustit-chempionat-mira-v-milane.html

Her right foot still hurts, she needs more time to heal her old injury.
Stanislava Konstantinova (4th at Russian Nationals, 4th at JWC) will replace her

MOSCOW -- Olympic figure skating silver medalist Evgenia Medvedeva has withdrawn from the world championships later this month, ending the prospect of another showdown for gold with her friend and rival Alina Zagitova.

The Russian Figure Skating Federation says Medvedeva has a recurrence of the foot injury which kept her out of the Grand Prix Finals last December.

During the Olympics, Medvedeva said the injury didn't bother her as she lost to Zagitova by 1.31 points for the gold medal.

However, the Russian federation now says Medvedeva "had to fight painful sensations while skating at the Olympics" and doctors have ordered her to strictly limit any jumps from her injured foot for at least four weeks "in order to avoid possible surgical intervention."

That makes Zagitova the clear favorite for gold at the March 21-25 championships in Milan.
http://www.espn.com/olympics/figure...rules-evgenia-medvedeva-figure-skating-worlds

Last edited:

3T3T

I’m shocked that she has pulled out, it must still really hurt. I’d take it as a sign that she will be competing for a few more years. It’s was such a badly timed injury, it did derail her Olympic challenge. Zagitova would still have been a huge threat, but if she won the GPF and was at Nationals it could have been very different. I wish her a speedy recovery and look forward to seeing her next season.

I know she is not everyone’s favourite but I’m looking forward to seeing Konstantinova in Milan, I hope she does well. I hope Junior worlds hasn’t taking to much out of her. If this was announced earlier they could have changed the JW team and maybe let Gubanova to go to Sofia.

D

Deleted member 40371

Polina was only 6th at Russian Cup Final last month and (188,19 at home event) and I don't think that she's ready to compete right now
I absolutely prefer Polina Tsurskaya over Konstantinova, however her Russian cup performance was quite bad.

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
For all the talk of Russian depth, most of their competitive skaters are juniors or seniors having up and down seasons (Tuk, Radio).

I hope Med makes a full recovery.

ETA: having said all of this, watch Konstantinova medal :)

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
For all the talk of Russian depth, most of their competitive skaters are juniors or seniors having up and down seasons (Tuk, Radio).

I hope Med makes a full recovery.

ETA: having said all of this, watch Konstantinova medal :)
She didn’t manage to medal even at junior worlds, why would you think she would medal at senior worlds? Do you really think she will beat Zagitova, Osmond and all Japanese ladies (whoever Japan will send)?

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I was making a joke about how I had jinxed her to do well.

But seriously, stranger things have happened. It's been a long season, everyone you mentioned is tired (except Higuchi!!!!) and the standard at junior worlds was very high.

kosjenka

Pogorilaya’s fairy godmother
I saw this yesterday on some Instagram accounnt but couldnt find it minutes after reading it.
Too bad it is the truth,Im sorry for Medvedeva but hope she heels properly and has a nice summer.

Konstantinova is fire cracker. A real joy to watch. Personally, my favorite Russina lady. After Perkova. Obviously
#teamtrainwreck
@Jeschke just so you know I am still faithful to the team.

Jarrett

Go Mirai!
I saw this yesterday on some Instagram accounnt but couldnt find it minutes after reading it.
Too bad it is the truth,Im sorry for Medvedeva but hope she heels properly and has a nice summer.

Konstantinova is fire cracker. A real joy to watch. Personally, my favorite Russina lady. After Perkova. Obviously
#teamtrainwreck
I really enjoy her skating, one of my favorites; however, her jumps visually are :yikes:

hanca

Values her privacy

#teamtrainwreck
I find her extremely boring and overmarked at home competitions, and not consistent enough when skating internationally. But I may change my mind if she manages to be completely clean in both programs at least at one international competition this season.

danibellerika

I really enjoy her skating, one of my favorites; however, her jumps visually are :yikes:
Ditto. She has musicality but when I look at those jumps, especially those floppy armed tanos in slo mo...:scream: Would have rather seen Polina, but it can't be helped. Get well soon, Med!

nimi

Ditto. She has musicality but when I look at those jumps, especially those floppy armed tanos in slo mo...:scream: Would have rather seen Polina, but it can't be helped. Get well soon, Med!
Ditto 2.

(I refuse to call that kind of floppy arm a 'tano' btw. It's just a 'floppy arm' to me, disowned by the Boitano arm variation family and not worthy of the name.)

Meoima

Her bad tano, her posture... her hunching back, bending waist, and high shoulders which makes her neck almost invisible. Really “enjoyable” to watch.

oleada

Oh man this is disappointing:( rest up, Med.

I wish that Polina were going instead, as Konstantinova got her chance at an ISU Championship and Tsurskaya has not. I can’t get past Konstantinova’s ugly landings and hands to even look at the ugly tanos . :p

kwanatic

I'm sad to hear this. I'm actually looking forward to seeing Medvedeva compete again. I think losing to Zagitova has lit an inferno inside of her and she's going to be gunning for that top spot again. I guess we'll have to wait until next season.

Kostantinova is...interesting. There are elements about her skating that I like (personality, energy) but her skating isn't terribly appealing. I hate the floppy arm she's added to her jumps too. It causes her to break at the waist when she lands a la Radionova and leaves a bad overall impression on her jumps. I'd have preferred to see Tsurskaya or Gubanova or someone else compete but Konstantinova is 1st alternate. She had a pretty shoddy performance at junior worlds so maybe she'll bounce back with better performances here...or she may be tired/jet-lagged and perform worse...I guess we'll see.

Good news is there are now two spots available on the podium instead of one. With Evgenia and Alina in the competition there's only a battle for 3rd among the other skaters. Assuming Alina wins (and I'll eat my own foot if she doesn't), 2nd and 3rd are open for Kaetlyn, Satoko, Carolina, Maria or whoever else can step up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information