Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

Fiero425

Serious disseminators of figure skating know their shit. They don't just watch the top tier. So which one are you? A serious disseminator or a joke shop of a skating 'fan' that knows nothing about figure skating and the challenges faced by ladies since time immemorial when their bodies change? Hmmm...I'm thinking the latter :blah:

I WAS a serious disseminator; the last decade or so, I'm more a casual fan! I don't see things getting better, just more physical which will obvious exacerbate injury potential! These athletes will all need hip replacements before 40! They're pushing themselves so much at such a young age! It happened enough in the past, but I see real abuse here! :rolleyes::COP:

Fairuza

I WAS a serious disseminator; the last decade or so, I'm more a casual fan! I don't see things getting better, just more physical which will obvious exacerbate injury potential! These athletes will all need hip replacements before 40! They're pushing themselves so much at such a young age! It happened enough in the past, but I see real abuse here! :rolleyes::COP:
Is there any need to shout quite that much?

Zazy

Moving on...

I'm so impressed with how Medvedeva has handled a very difficult season. The maturity and self-awareness she has shown makes me want to root for her and, more importantly, I think it bodes well for her long-term career. She could so easily feel defeated or bitter right now and yet I don't get that from her at all. If anything, she seems eager to get back to work and improve.

I think her coaching team made some mistakes in introducing too many changes at once, while she was dealing with not only a completely new environment but also a new body. But the improvements are evident in practice - even if they don't always translate to competition at this point. I look forward to seeing what she has in store in the coming years.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If the opportunity presents itself-

Should Zhenya be on the worlds 2019 team? I have mixed feelings about it. She was brave to skate well, with an injured back, in the LP at the RN, but worlds will need intense preparation. That will slow down her recovery. She could give a respectable skate at worlds, but is it worth it in tne long run? I would rather see her take care of her body and come back 100 percent healthy next season. OTOH if she medals at worlds in 2019, i will be thrilled.

MIsty Blades/Skate Mom

Banned Member
I agree with most of what 4rkidz is saying.
Med is brave to go to Brian Orser, but I do wish she would change her LP. She is clearly have to adjust to her maturing to become a woman and some new training methods. I feel like she is being forced to skate to these programs, and I don't see the skating from the heart. Hopefully, she will make the adjustments needed to skate more consistently and confidently. I really was hoping she would win the 2018 Olympics, but her silver was also a good achievement.

I’m new this season to the Med bandwagon I think she was very brave to move at 18 to another country to follow her dream. Considering all her training challenges she is finishing the season in good shape. I hope she keeps both her programs for next season.
She won’t have any issues with GP picks and I plan on being in France for the GP final. Really hope she stays in Canada with Orser where she can get healthy and not have the pressures.

Erin

Banned Member
I do wish she would change her LP. She is clearly have to adjust to her maturing to become a woman and some new training methods. I feel like she is being forced to skate to these programs, and I don't see the skating from the heart.

It’s been said in interviews that while the original SP was David Wilson’s choice, Medvedeva chose her own LP so whether you like it or not (I’m personally meh on it), she is not being forced to skate to it. I haven’t seen yet who chose the Tosca music for her new SP.

tripleflutz

Banned Member
Personally I would send both Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva to worlds and drop Zagitova. I guess results wise you cant justify it, and she is Eteri's pet so it would not happen anyway. However I feel like she is a growing mess right now and is bound for a disaester come worlds. I will honestly be surprised if she doesnt place the lowest of the 3 Russians.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Personally I would send both Medvedeva and Tuktamysheva to worlds and drop Zagitova. I guess results wise you cant justify it, and she is Eteri's pet so it would not happen anyway. However I feel like she is a growing mess right now and is bound for a disaester come worlds. I will honestly be surprised if she doesnt place the lowest of the 3 Russians.

Neither Med nor Zag is the skater we saw compete at last year's worlds. It is tough to say who will do better at the upcoming worlds. Hopefully both will recover from this season, which was disastrous for Zhenya, but it ended well for her. Oddly I am not happy about it, and I am the one who started this cheer thread for her.

I like her Tosca SP. It is her type of music. I don't like her Tango LP. I hope she finds better music next year.

AxelAnnie

Like a small boat on the ocean...
I have all the respect and awe in the world for this young lady. It was so courageous of her to move across the world...enmeshed herself in a different culture...drfferent training regimen. Rework her techniques...and skate the long she skated at Russian National s. She has focus, vision and passion.

I hold her in highest regard.

And this is from someone. Me ..who was not excited about her the first year and more. She is beloved in her county

She is in a safe and excellent place if she is having back problems. Can we all say YuNa Kim? And she looks so happy.

As for the little buddies it is a long and winding road through puberty. Terri is rather a genius with her kids.....but skaters with a mature body...not so much.
And poor Zags...she has Sarah Hughes syndrom....don't compete after OGM. You have little to gain and much to lose.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I agree with Sarah reference. If not for ridiculous PCS Alina would not be winning. How long will that last?

I don’t agree with the Sarah reference. After her OGM, Sarah couldn't land her triples at all . Zagitova is still competitive enough to win medals. She has won Silver at the GPF and Europeans. She does get inflated PCS but she wouldn’t get those if she didn’t land most of her jumps. It is possible that her motivation is not as strong as last year, and she has grown in height. I would wait another year before writing her off. She is just 16 years old. She should be able to learn a Quad or. Triple axel. Liza Tuk learned it after 16, I think.

Fiero425

I don’t agree with the Sarah reference. After her OGM, Sarah couldn't land her triples at all . Zagitova is still competitive enough to win medals. She has won Silver at the GPF and Europeans. She does get inflated PCS but she wouldn’t get those if she didn’t land most of her jumps. It is possible that her motivation is not as strong as last year, and she has grown in height. I would wait another year before writing her off. She is just 16 years old. She should be able to learn a Quad or. Triple axel. Liza Tuk learned it after 16, I think.

The growth spurts have to influence how she feels with her confidence jumping! It's nothing new! She just has to work harder to compensate for the change! AZ's getting pushed by a phalanx of new talent behind her! If not careful, she won't even make the world team next season! :rolleyes: :COP: :judge: :kickass: :sarah1: :sasha1: :shizuka1:

tripleflutz

Banned Member
Neither Med nor Zag is the skater we saw compete at last year's worlds. It is tough to say who will do better at the upcoming worlds. Hopefully both will recover from this season, which was disastrous for Zhenya, but it ended well for her. Oddly I am not happy about it, and I am the one who started this cheer thread for her.

I like her Tosca SP. It is her type of music. I don't like her Tango LP. I hope she finds better music next year.

Zagitova is just getting worse. I expect that to continue at worlds. I do not wish her ill, I do not enjoy her skating even at her best, but she seems like a really nice girl so I do not wish to see her continue to struggle and it would be nice to see her have a respectable outing at worlds and skate better LPs than Nationals and Europeans to atleast make top 5, but I will be surprised if her current downward trajectory does not continue atleast for worlds. Due to high PCS she might still make top 5 or 6 anyway, but I expect some major jump errors just like her last 2 competitions. Meanwhile Medvedeva seems to be back on the upswing ATM, which is what I think swung the Russian fed decision to pick her over Elizaveta and the others in consideration for the 3rd spot. I think either Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva would have placed higher than Zagitova at worlds, but I will be particularly surprised if Medvedeva and Sofia both do not. Of course if Zagitova matches her GPF skates she would be almost a guarantee to medal, would have a good shot at silver, and could win if Rika messed up badly enough, but I will be surprised if she can match her GPF performances come worlds.

I think she is struggling with a variety of issues, and the signs were there early, but I think compounding it all was skating great at the GPF and losing soundly to Kihira who didnt even skate close to cleanly in the LP. It wasnt even the triple axel that mostly did it, Kihira absolutely killed her on GOEs, while matching her PCS, the base values werent even that different. That sapped her confidence bigtime, and add to that sharing a rink with young girls doing jumps like quad lutzes she will never realistically be able to match, and some of the negative blowback still of her controversial Olympic win over Medvedeva (not as bad as the negative media and fan blowback at the time of Sotnikova's win over Kim and Kostner, but still enough to feel), and I think she is not feeling that confident, in addition to the physical and technical issues she is now dealing with.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Zagitova is just getting worse. I expect that to continue at worlds. I do not wish her ill, I do not enjoy her skating even at her best, but she seems like a really nice girl so I do not wish to see her continue to struggle and it would be nice to see her have a respectable outing at worlds and skate better LPs than Nationals and Europeans to atleast make top 5, but I will be surprised if her current downward trajectory does not continue atleast for worlds. Due to high PCS she might still make top 5 or 6 anyway, but I expect some major jump errors just like her last 2 competitions. Meanwhile Medvedeva seems to be back on the upswing ATM, which is what I think swung the Russian fed decision to pick her over Elizaveta and the others in consideration for the 3rd spot. I think either Medvedeva or Tuktamysheva would have placed higher than Zagitova at worlds, but I will be particularly surprised if Medvedeva and Sofia both do not. Of course if Zagitova matches her GPF skates she would be almost a guarantee to medal, would have a good shot at silver, and could win if Rika messed up badly enough, but I will be surprised if she can match her GPF performances come worlds.

I think she is struggling with a variety of issues, and the signs were there early, but I think compounding it all was skating great at the GPF and losing soundly to Kihira who didnt even skate close to cleanly in the LP. It wasnt even the triple axel that mostly did it, Kihira absolutely killed her on GOEs, while matching her PCS, the base values werent even that different. That sapped her confidence bigtime, and add to that sharing a rink with young girls doing jumps like quad lutzes she will never realistically be able to match, and some of the negative blowback still of her controversial Olympic win over Medvedeva (not as bad as the negative media and fan blowback at the time of Sotnikova's win over Kim and Kostner, but still enough to feel), and I think she is not feeling that confident, in addition to the physical and technical issues she is now dealing with.

Every skater goes through ups and down. Slutskaya didnt even make the world team one year (99?) She came back strong later. Kwan went through one bad year at age 16. It is too early to write off Zag. Sarah didnt survive be ause she had really bad jumps with ur.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ummm ... I read this as . . . she is able to be a boy if she wants ... But it is not like Miki Ando landed one in senior.

I am confused by your comment. I don’t follow your logic.

What has got to do with becoming a boy?- an obvious impossibility.

Ando didn’t land one as a senior. So what? Nobody would ever land a quad as a senior because Ando did not ?

Landing a quad is no longer an impossibility. It may have seemed that way 30 years ago.

Last edited:

tripleflutz

Banned Member
Every skater goes through ups and down. Slutskaya didnt even make the world team one year (99?) She came back strong later. Kwan went through one bad year at age 16. It is too early to write off Zag. Sarah didnt survive be ause she had really bad jumps with ur.

Slutskaya wasnt taught technique that only works on children, and didnt have to try and totally re-create her jump technique with a new body at a time. And even when she was going through the changes in her body and loss of confidence, her technique remained solid, she just had to get used to her new body and regain her form/confidence. None of that is true of Zagitova.

Slutskaya also wasnt facing her decline at a time young Russians coming up where badly outjumping what she had done even at her former best. This never once happened, Slutskaya in decent form was always automatically the best Russian jumper again, Zagitova not even close. And Zagitova isnt an artist really, so if she is being outjumped she is scrwed; Medvedeva has a much better chance of surviving and staying near the top even having been surpassed in her former strength (technical) and filling the mature, stylish, artist top skater who also has strong jumps role. The depth in Russian ladies then, while decent, is nothing like today. Butyrskaya was consistently their #1 or #2 (usually #2 behind Slutskaya) and win a world title and nearly a 2nd world title back then, and today she probably would just merely make 1 or 2 world teams like Maria S or Elena R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information