Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

Bellanca

You know that you are having immense success and making an impact when the criticisms for the petty, superficial things begin to surface. It is the green-eyed monster that is emerging, envy taking shape. I see this becoming more of a common occurrence, in certain quarters, whenever Evgenia is the subject. The good news is, Med seems to be taking it all in stride, keeping perspective, shutting out the noise and continuously moving forward. I respect her for that. I am glad that Evgenia doesn’t let the naysayers get her down and that she seems to be very successfully blocking out the distractions. She is a wonderfully, talented skater and my hope for Evgenia is that she has a rewarding Olympic season. :cheer2:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
It all boils down to one thing. The competition. First the American ladies/other Russians/now the Canadians. We all want our favorites to beat her, so she's undervalued/the others are overvalued. People are desperate for her to be beaten by their favorite skater(s), and her scores are high as it is, so people want to bring her down to earth and whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine whine. :violin:(you know who you are) and she just keeps getting better and hitting. She'll probably be magnificent next season and better than she's ever been.

Just my opinion on it though.

She's the best competitor in the sport IMO and I'll be backing her big time this season. She's better than the rest and I think she completely deserves the OGM.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You know that you are having immense success and making an impact when the criticisms for the petty, superficial things begin to surface. It is the green-eyed monster that is emerging, envy taking shape. I see this becoming more of a common occurrence, in certain quarters, whenever Evgenia is the subject. The good news is, Med seems to be taking it all in stride, keeping perspective, shutting out the noise and continuously moving forward. I respect her for that. I am glad that Evgenia doesn’t let the naysayers get her down and that she seems to be very successfully blocking out the distractions. She is a wonderfully, talented skater and my hope for Evgenia is that she has a rewarding Olympic season. :cheer2:

I second that. I love her skating and I respect her focus and attitude.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
From the new Averbukh's interview:
(the underlined words is my variant, because Averbukh says "organichna", not "ogranichena")

AS: Would you call the style of Medvedeva's new programmes a continuation of the previous ones?

IA: Let me put it this way: it's not an exhibition, we have points to gain. The result depends on how well the elements are executed. We tried different styles with Evgenia. We tried a tango, a space diva from `Gravitation'. And came to a conclusion, that today Evgenia's current characters are organic for her. She feels comfortable there and lands the jumps. Yes, everyone wants a constant change. But I don't think putting a different colour costume and skating to a happy music would do the trick. She has to get there. So yes, for now it's a development of the style she had last year. But, in my point of view, the programmes are more complicated, more interesting and complex.

There is more about her programs:
http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/ind...ussia-i-speak-to-the-world-through-her.99301/
Thanks to TANbKA for the translation

I totally agree with Ilya. Someday she will get to the point where she can explore different styles. From where she is today, she has to do what works in the present. Future will take care of itself.

I also want to comment on that 'tights over boots' issue. It's much ado about nothing. She is skating great. She wears appropriate costumes. She expresses the music. Those are the things that matter to me at least.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Russian interview published in late May: https://russian.rt.com/sport/article/394706-medvedeva-otpusk-yaponiya
Translated here: http://fs-gossips.com/evgenia-medvedeva-in-japan-im-recognized-wherever-i-go/
– I spent my holiday in China and Japan. In the Land of the Rising Sun, I visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka. Saw the local ancient temples. Most of all I liked, of course, in the capital. Tokyo – it’s like a huge metropolis, but people are very calm and courteous there. For example, in Moscow, if you ask a passerby how you get somewhere, he will answer you at best on the run, and in Japan they will explain thoroughly and almost take you where you need. Such attitude is enticing.
When do you start preparing for the Olympic season?
– Since June 5 I’ll be preparing in Novogorsk, I will train there for a month.
Do you already know about your programs?
– Of course, but we will not disclose our secrets till the beginning of the season.

She has two shows coming up in Japan -- Fantasy on Ice in Niigata, June 16-18, and Dreams on Ice (Team Japan's summer exhibition), July 7-9 at Shinyokohama.

Last edited:

Bellanca

Evgenia Medvedeva is ranked #46 in the World 50 Most Marketable Athletes for 2017, according to London-based SportsPro. I believe the ranking is largely based on untapped marketing potential as opposed to current marketing utilization of the athletes ranked.
I agree.

If Evgenia wins Olympic gold, #46 will be moving up quickly. I believe she has great marketing potential and her team will be running with this. The buildup will be intense. I hope that Med and her family have surrounded themselves with trustworthy, reliable people who will provide them the appropriate counsel, direction and sound advice they might need.

bardtoob

I was trying to put my finger on what make Medvedeva so great, and my conclusion is that she is just so rock solid and reliable. As Uncle Dick would put it ". . . the calmness and the security of it is really breathtaking to see . . ."

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Plus she's always showing improvement to the quality of her skating, every single competition, no matter what anybody is saying (negative) about her.

I hope it continues for her, but I'm not even really worried because she's going to be a rock. On top of always hitting, the consistent thing about her is that she's always showing progress IMO. (even if I don't necessarily like her choreography).

It would probably make her so mad if she made a huge mistake that it wouldn't happen again for a long time.

Bellanca

Plus she's always showing improvement to the quality of her skating, every single competition, no matter what anybody is saying (negative) about her.

I hope it continues for her, but I'm not even really worried because she's going to be a rock. On top of always hitting, the consistent thing about her is that she's always showing progress IMO. (even if I don't necessarily like her choreography).

It would probably make her so mad if she made a huge mistake that it wouldn't happen again for a long time.
But, if it did happen, that huge mistake, the unfortunate timing of it all would probably happen at the worst possible moment and at the one event you don't want it to ever happen at - the Olympics, of course. Remember, coronation can = possible implosion or upset, as history shows. Med is the one to beat, but if you bet the odds in Vegas, :bribe: don't bet the farm! Must. Stay. Humble. :saint: :inavoid:

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Right, and so should the haters. The amount of people hoping that she falls so their favorite has a chance is really ugly at this point IMO. I feel like I have to counter-act it and point it out before things start getting real this season. It really irritates me because I find it very hypocritical and nationally biased.

I won't be so yay Janny she'll win! :cheer: in every thread once we're in season, and I don't think I'm a perfect poster by any means, but some people can't continue to be so nasty about her and not expect it in return - for two years now absolutely nobody has put up a fight worthy of beating her, just Radio at 2015 Rostelecom, maybe Euros you can argue for Radio also, but that's it! Why wouldn't she hit? I think a lot of people wish that on her. No.

Play nice when it comes to the 2-time world champion whether you want her to win or not. It's not like we've had a Kwan/Lipinski situation and it could go either way with another skater, she's deserved all of her gold medals so far.

Bellanca

Right, and so should the haters. The amount of people hoping that she falls so their favorite has a chance is really ugly at this point IMO. I feel like I have to counter-act it and point it out before things start getting real this season. It really irritates me because I find it very hypocritical and nationally biased.

I won't be so yay Janny she'll win! :cheer: in every thread once we're in season, and I don't think I'm a perfect poster by any means, but some people can't continue to be so nasty about her and not expect it in return - for two years now absolutely nobody has put up a fight worthy of beating her, just Radio at 2015 Rostelecom, maybe Euros you can argue for Radio also, but that's it! Why wouldn't she hit? I think a lot of people wish that on her. No. Play nice when it comes to the 2-time world champion whether you want her to win or not.
Ok, first, that was some seriously fast typing and a lightning quick response. Holy smokes! :eek: :respec: Secondly, that's just Bullsh!t when fans hope another skater will fall or stink it up so badly in order for their fav to win. :blah: I definitely agree with you on that. Thirdly, if Med doesn't deliver, you'll never hear the end of it. :lynch: As Evgenia's most faithful and vocal fan, the pressure is solely on her to not let you down. :drama: ;)

ETA: I'm playing nice, I am...
For the record, I am just fine if Janny wins it all! I have so many favorites this quad that it's borderline ridiculous, and Med is one of them! I am excited to see how it goes!

Last edited:

bardtoob

Play nice when it comes to the 2-time world champion whether you want her to win or not.

My attitude going into this season is I want everybody to skate their best :D ... Let the judges decide based on the criteria, but everybody can feel good about their performances.

Karpenko

Not Impressed.
Thirdly, if Med doesn't deliver, you'll never hear the end of it. :lynch: As Evgenia's most faithful and vocal fan, the pressure is solely on her to not let you down. :drama: ;)

That's for damn sure! :lynch: I don't even know if I'd call myself a loyal fan - in Boston I was very very pro-Ashley Wagner. :shuffle: I thought Ashley should've been second, but Janny didn't exist to me. I have been mean to Janny and team Eteri in the past. All season long last year I griped about the waving, the talking, the sound effects, the George Bush...

But when nobody else steps up to the plate, and she keeps hitting, and people keep treating her like crap, but she gets better anyways, I eat my words and show her the respect she deserves. It's been a major epiphany that I find very humbling.

And yes, it's a gift - if I could type any faster when I'm dealing with all of my feelings, and make millions, I'd start a new career path!

Meoima

Med is amazing and only stupid folks could not see how much she has improved. I still remember when Med was 13, her jumps barely cross the ice, her speed was uber slow... and now look at her. Yeap she might not be super in all aspects but she is ok at most aspects.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Med is amazing and only stupid folks could not see how much she has improved. I still remember when Med was 13, her jumps barely cross the ice, her speed was uber slow... and now look at her. Yeap she might not be super in all aspects but she is ok at most aspects.

I wouldn't call them stupid but you are right that she has made huge strides since her junior year. Even during her first season as a senior, she was improving every time (almost) she competed. At the 2016 worlds she was amazing, at age 16, and skating in her first senior worlds.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Bumping up this thread to express my worry about her. It's a terrible misfortune for such a strong contender for the OGM to have to deal with an injury with the Olympics just 3 months away. I like her skating so much! I used to feel relaxed watching her because she always landed her jumps. This season she has made numerous mistakes and even fallen many times. I don't think it's nerves. It's definitely due to the injury. I am also afraid that RSF and Eteri will pressure her to skate with the injury and the results won't be pretty.

Spun Silver

Bumping up this thread to express my worry about her. It's a terrible misfortune for such a strong contender for the OGM to have to deal with an injury with the Olympics just 3 months away. I like her skating so much! I used to feel relaxed watching her because she always landed her jumps. This season she has made numerous mistakes and even fallen many times. I don't think it's nerves. It's definitely due to the injury. I am also afraid that RSF and Eteri will pressure her to skate with the injury and the results won't be pretty.
Why do you think they would do that? Surely they will want to bubble wrap her as much as possible before the Olympics. Of course they have to find just the right balance of training, rest and treatment but wouldn’t you assume that is what they will aim for after the warning signs at NHK? If anyone could ever afford to skip the GPF, it is Med. I hope she realizes that herself.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Why do you think they would do that? Surely they will want to bubble wrap her as much as possible before the Olympics. Of course they have to find just the right balance of training, rest and treatment but wouldn’t you assume that is what they will aim for after the warning signs at NHK? If anyone could ever afford to skip the GPF, it is Med. I hope she realizes that herself.

I hope you are right. Earlier she had said she planned to get ready for GPF.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
What injury are we talking about? Sorry for the ignorance!

Zoe111 noticed that Zhenya had her ankles taped during the NHK. She fell in her LP, then again during the exhibition. Later in an interview she admitted that she was having some problems with her ankles but she said she was going to get ready for the GPF.

Here is Med's SP from the 2014 Jr. Worlds. Who says she is only a jumper? She is expressive, and exudes joy in this performance.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Ka3sha has posted in the Russia with love thread that Zhenya has an injury and she may. Withdraw from GPF if the doctors say so. :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information