Evgenia Medvedeva Cheer thread

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is the draw rigged ?. The US skaters seem to be getting amazing draws in the order of skate.
I think Miyahara was way under marked & Evgenia too.
Gracie deserved first but not such high marks.

I too wondered about the draw being rigged. Can it happen?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The overhead view of Medvedeva's long program underlines why I think she's one of those skaters that is more impressive live than on TV. She creates more original patterns across the ice than her competitors, plus her flow in and out of all of her elements is very apparent in this view.

She had impressed me on TV, and she impressed me even more live.
She was amazing in practices.

IMO her LP performance was in the same league as Yu na Kim's 2010 Olympics LP performance, and unlike Yuna, she didn't have a huge cushion from SP. Actually she had to come from behind. It was an incredible performance under great pressure.

alexikeguchi

The overhead view of Medvedeva's long program underlines why I think she's one of those skaters that is more impressive live than on TV.

She had impressed me on TV, and she impressed me even more live.

I completely agree she is much better live. I found her rather dull during the GP season, possibly because of the beautiful but not particularly dramatic music, and thought she was mainly a technical skater. I didn't get what the British commentators were raving about during the GPF. However, I was blown away watching her live. She was completely mesmerizing, projected to the rafters which is where I was sitting, and presented her program as a cohesive whole; I think she might be the most artistically mature 16 year old skater ever. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to witness her beautiful performance.

PashaFan

I too wondered about the draw being rigged. Can it happen?
If it was rigged it clearly did not work in the FS for Gracie.
She would have been better off skating after the warm up.
I don't think in reality it was rigged but the USA had some great draws at these World Championships.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
If it was rigged it clearly did not work in the FS for Gracie.
She would have been better off skating after the warm up.
I don't think in reality it was rigged but the USA had some great draws at these World Championships.

Gracie didn't skate well or the draw would have worked for her. Skating later is usually to a skater's advantage.

PashaFan

Gracie didn't skate well or the draw would have worked for her. Skating later is usually to a skater's advantage.
I just think it would have been better for Gracie to skate straight after the warm up as she would have had less time to think & get more nervous.
The event was clearly "rigged" in the sense that a US woman needed to be on the podium.
After watching the last two groups again yesterday I feel the final results were wrong.
Ashley skated well & I'm over the moon for her but I think in another country Satoko would have won bronze & Anna silver.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I just think it would have been better for Gracie to skate straight after the warm up as she would have had less time to think & get more nervous.
The event was clearly "rigged" in the sense that a US woman needed to be on the podium.
After watching the last two groups again yesterday I feel the final results were wrong.
Ashley skated well & I'm over the moon for her but I think in another country Satoko would have won bronze & Anna silver.

I didn't mention Satoko earlier, but I think she too was held down to leave room for the US ladies.

bardtoob

I didn't mention Satoko earlier, but I think she too was held down to leave room for the US ladies.

Satoko was held down as much for Russia in the SP as she was for the US in the LP. There was no way Radionova was better than Satoko in the SP and there was no way Gold was better than Satoko in the LP.

Thank goodness Medvedeva at least skated programs worthy of a World Championship in the competition and throughout the season, and graciously showed no evidence of being a sore winner.

Last edited:

Edgecase

I completely agree she is much better live. I found her rather dull during the GP season, possibly because of the beautiful but not particularly dramatic music, and thought she was mainly a technical skater. I didn't get what the British commentators were raving about during the GPF. However, I was blown away watching her live. She was completely mesmerizing, projected to the rafters which is where I was sitting, and presented her program as a cohesive whole; I think she might be the most artistically mature 16 year old skater ever. I'm very glad I had the opportunity to witness her beautiful performance.

And it is also possible that her artistry and presentation has in fact improved over the course of the season. IMO it has gotten better and better with each competition. That is how truly amazing and versatile she is.

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
I like Satoko but all her medals thus far have been on her consistency. She skates very well, and capatilizes on others making mistakes. They were still deserved as she does have many good qualities in her skating (quiet elegance, great spins) and being so consistent isnt easy which is why few are as consistent as her. Here in an extremely well skated event though it was unlikely she would medal even with her best skates. I strongly disagree she would have medalled somewhere else, she has never medalled in an event that was as well skated as this one. I agree Anna might have won silver somewhere else (although I don't know even then, the judges love Ashley's mature womanly role she brings to the sport and give her high PCS pretty regularly even for technically flawed efforts), and Gracie probably would have been in 6th behind both Elena and Satoko.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
The more I see her, the more I like her. In the K&C she is a little girl. On the ice she is a mature lady. She has improved throughout the season, and in this skate she is skating with more confidence, as a world champion.

ETA: Just watched her SA 2015 performances- SP & LP. Her SP was very good; LP had a fall, but good enough to win overall. She has come a very long way since that competition, and she was already very good for her 15 years then. From now on she is going to have the aura of a world champion. I am really excited about seeing her development over the years. I wish her good health. The rest will take care of itself.

Last edited:

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Another clean skate by Zhenya at TCC. Her consistency is amazing. I hope she can sustain it over the years. It's been a long time since we have seen such a consistent skater (male or female). I think the last one was Boitano (and Midori before her 1991 worlds injury).

Take some rest, young lady. You have earned it.

love_skate2011

Banned Member
her clam demeanor reminds me of Yuna

btw does Team Challenge Cup count as a Personal Best by isu ??? :confused::confused:
her scores here are close to breaking Yuna's overall score

Spun Silver

Another clean skate by Zhenya at TCC. Her consistency is amazing. I hope she can sustain it over the years. It's been a long time since we have seen such a consistent skater (male or female). I think the last one was Boitano (and Midori before her 1991 worlds injury).

Take some rest, young lady. You have earned it.
We have two actually - Evgenia and Satoko. I keep watching for a mistake but they are steely!

kwanoverrated

Banned Member
We have two actually - Evgenia and Satoko. I keep watching for a mistake but they are steely!

It is too bad Satoko cant jump higher and skate faster. If she could fix those 2 things she could definitely be challenging Evgenia, but those two things hold her back considerably. She needs to make herself bigger and more powerful somehow.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It is too bad Satoko cant jump higher and skate faster. If she could fix those 2 things she could definitely be challenging Evgenia, but those two things hold her back considerably. She needs to make herself bigger and more powerful somehow.

There are ways to build more muscle and skate faster, jump a little higher. She is not going to become Midori, no matter how hard she tries, but she can improve over what she currently is. Tursy is even tinier than Satoko but she seems to jump higher. It's possible that Satoko may lose some of her consistency by incorporating those changes but she has to be ready for challenges from younger Japanese skaters too.

Sorry for the OT.

Evgenia is now my favorite lady skater (I do like many others too). I can't wait to see what she and her team come up with next year.

In terms of improvements, I think she can improve her lines even more. Add a quad but I don't think she will need it next year, unless Liza gets the consistency she had before last season. Zhenya needs to improve her 2A to make it as consistent as her other jumps. Her Lutz needs some work too. It is smart of her to avoid a 3Lz3t combination and do just the 3Lz by itself. She seems like the most comfortable skater in doing the 3 flip. Can she try a quad flip? Just a thought.

During practices at one point she did a 3-3 combination with Tano on the first jump and Rippon on the second. I think she will add a Rippon to her repertoire next season. Points wise it won't make a difference though.

lala

I see Satoko really fast, but I agree with you on her jumps.

Spun Silver

There are ways to build more muscle and skate faster, jump a little higher. She is not going to become Midori, no matter how hard she tries, but she can improve over what she currently is. Tursy is even tinier than Satoko but she seems to jump higher. It's possible that Satoko may lose some of her consistency by incorporating those changes but she has to be ready for challenges from younger Japanese skaters too.

Evgenia is now my favorite lady skater (I do like many others too)... Add a quad but I don't think she will need it next year, unless Liza gets the consistency she had before last season. ... Can she try a quad flip? Just a thought.

Vash, did you realize that Satoko jumps in the opposite of her natural direction? She was a natural clockwise jumper but had to change it as a child because of the risk of collisions on crowded Japanese rinks. Because of that, there is doubt whether she can do much to improve her jumps. It's discussed a lot in her fan thread.

About Evgenia, I am a bit concerned about lady skaters doing quads when we see what it is already doing to so many men with their stronger physiques. I wonder if anyone is pushing for a rule change to allow 3-3-3 combos for both women and men. That seems to be a piece of cake for Evgenia and Carolina and Shizuka used to do them (in practice) as well with no adverse affects as far as I know. Probably many other girls as well. I wonder if it would be an alternative way to add excitement without the constant preasure for quads. Rule people?

DDNatalia

Agree with you Spun Silver. These two have that ability to combine sheer obvious talent with training discipline and steely nerves to deliver at big events.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Vash, did you realize that Satoko jumps in the opposite of her natural direction? She was a natural clockwise jumper but had to change it as a child because of the risk of collisions on crowded Japanese rinks. Because of that, there is doubt whether she can do much to improve her jumps. It's discussed a lot in her fan thread.

About Evgenia, I am a bit concerned about lady skaters doing quads when we see what it is already doing to so many men with their stronger physiques. I wonder if anyone is pushing for a rule change to allow 3-3-3 combos for both women and men. That seems to be a piece of cake for Evgenia and Carolina and Shizuka used to do them (in practice) as well with no adverse affects as far as I know. Probably many other girls as well. I wonder if it would be an alternative way to add excitement without the constant preasure for quads. Rule people?

I remember reading somewhere on fsu that Satoko jumps in a direction that is not natural for her.

Not many ladies will be able to do a quad or the 3A. Miki Ando and Surya Bonaly at least tried (Miki's was incorrectly ratified, IMO). Sasha had the ability to do it in practice at least. I am not sure what the long term effects of putting a quad in a program would be for ladies. At one time a 3Lz was considered nearly impossible for ladies because it requires the ability to rotate in a direction that is opposite to the movement on the ice. So who knows? About the 3A one can say that only a very small percentage of ladies can do it consistently. Looking at Mao's slender body, one wouldn't have expected her to land it age 25, but she does. It could happen with the quad- a small percentage of ladies doing it, but I don't want it to be the deciding factor when it comes to winning.

I like the idea of allowing a 3-3-3 for ladies in the LP. Many ladies could do it. They are already doing a 3-2-2.

Cachoo

I think Mao had some consistency for awhile but these two might be the most consistent since Kwan and that is saying something. It is too soon to tell but you just have this feeling that both girls are not easily rattled.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information