Everything Facebook - Pros, Cons, Changes, Advice, Help Needed...It's All Here, Folks

MacMadame

Doing all the things
She needs to contact FB. You can contact them without being logged in. However, if she can't get satisfaction from FB and has to create a new account, there is no need to delete the app. Just make a new account.

OTOH, there is no way that FB would be showing her the second account to log into it if she hadn't made it on that computer. There are hundreds of people with my name on FB and I am never offered to log into their accounts.

How computer savvy is she? Is it possible she made the second account while trying to log into the first one thinking she was resetting the password or something? Has she tried recovering her first account via a password reset request or giving the answers to the security questions?

judiz

She hasn't received any password reset requests and the alternate account has a different photo on it then her real account, not sure how you can accidentally post a profile photo. I'm going to her apartment tomorrow to see what I can do to fix the situation.

judiz

Update: I was able to delete the alternate account from my mom's tablet. However, every time I tried to log into her account, I kept getting the same message: the phone number/email/ password entered not associated with any account. Nothing popped up asking security question etc for forgotten password. I was able to get on her account using her IPhone and I contacted help and support.

judiz

Last update, finally got message asking to reset password. Password reset.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Is anyone else having problems with facebook messenger? (Which is now forced on Android- I can't check my messages from the browser anymore.)

I just get an error message every time I open it. I tried uninstalling it and reinstalling it and it didn't help. There is no update.

The same thing is happening to my husband.

The same thing happened to me. I can't access messages anymore. I tried to install Messenger many times but it never worked. Others keep wondering why I don't respond to their messages although I posted on my Facebook page that I can't open messages. Long ago I used to get the messages through my email, which I could open.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
For the last one week I have been unable to post on Facebook. I type a post but instead of Post I get a Share. I click on it but nothing appears. A friend told me that many people are having this problem. Her advice was to stay off fb for a coupke of days, then try again. It has mot worked.
I amable to post on someone else's fb though.

Anyone else having a similar problem?

Last edited:

Simone411

To Boldly Explore Figure Skating Around The World
@Vash01, I haven't had any problems posting and replying to my friend's post. Now, I either use IE 11 or the Edge browser to go to FB. It depends on what game I'm playing. I have to use Edge browser just for one particular game I play.

Maybe this problem that you have has something to do with which browser you're using. I don't know about Firefox or Chrome because I don't use those browsers.

Regarding Messenger and Chat. When you're on your home page, there should be a tools icon for settings at the very bottom on the right side. Highlight it to find it and click on it. It could be that you may have accidentally turned off Chat. You will be able to turn it back on in the settings. You can also choose who you want to allow in Chat, and turn it off for others. I hope this helps.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@Vash01, I haven't had any problems posting and replying to my friend's post. Now, I either use IE 11 or the Edge browser to go to FB. It depends on what game I'm playing. I have to use Edge browser just for one particular game I play.

Maybe this problem that you have has something to do with which browser you're using. I don't know about Firefox or Chrome because I don't use those browsers.

Regarding Messenger and Chat. When you're on your home page, there should be a tools icon for settings at the very bottom on the right side. Highlight it to find it and click on it. It could be that you may have accidentally turned off Chat. You will be able to turn it back on in the settings. You can also choose who you want to allow in Chat, and turn it off for others. I hope this helps.

I use mostly my ipad. It has Safari. No other choice. On my desktop (used only 20 percent of the time) I use Edge. In the past when I tried to get a different browser, it attracted a virus, so I never tried again and stuck with Edge.

Simone411

I use mostly my ipad. It has Safari. No other choice. On my desktop (used only 20 percent of the time) I use Edge. In the past when I tried to get a different browser, it attracted a virus, so I never tried again and stuck with Edge.
Sorry about that, Vash. I'm afraid all I know is about laptops. I use it for everything including going to Facebook with it. You shouldn't have a problem using IE 11, either, especially if you have the smart screen filter on and the pop-up blocker turned on. I think you have Windows 10 on your laptop, right? Windows Defender should be protecting your OS pretty well. The only way you might get a virus with IE 11 is if you clicked on an unsafe website, but IE 11 will usually warn you before hand.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Sorry about that, Vash. I'm afraid all I know is about laptops. I use it for everything including going to Facebook with it. You shouldn't have a problem using IE 11, either, especially if you have the smart screen filter on and the pop-up blocker turned on. I think you have Windows 10 on your laptop, right? Windows Defender should be protecting your OS pretty well. The only way you might get a virus with IE 11 is if you clicked on an unsafe website, but IE 11 will usually warn you before hand.

I don't use a laptop at all. It is mostly ipad and sometimes the desktop. Thanks for trying to help though.

I went to the Archives and found the painting I had posted on my timeline a week earlier. I have no idea how it went there but I shared that on the timeline. I cannot directly post on my timeline. I am going to contact facebook.

Simone411

You're welcome, @Vash01. Maybe someone else here can help you better than what I could. :)

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
  • Do you have the issue on both your ipad and desktop computer?
  • Do you use the Facebook app on your ipad or login via Safari?

Debbie S

For the last one week I have been unable to post on Facebook. I type a post but instead of Post I get a Share.
I have noticed for a while that "Share" seems to have replaced "Post" on both my mobile and desktop verrsions. To me anyway, they do the same thing - I click, and the post appears. I don't post that often, but IIRC, I think it asks you after you first hit Share if you want to share with your network, or restrict it...so I think you have to tap something twice. But my posts do appear when hitting Share.

meggonzo

Banned Member
There's also an option to share to your story or to your newsfeed. I think I've always been picking newsfeed and I see that post on my timeline. It could be possible if you're sharing to your "story" that the posts are going somewhere other than the timeline?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
There's also an option to share to your story or to your newsfeed. I think I've always been picking newsfeed and I see that post on my timeline. It could be possible if you're sharing to your "story" that the posts are going somewhere other than the timeline?

I tried Share your story about twice I think. That went somewhere else, as did all my other posts. Normally when I go to my fb and type in a post, Post used to appear. Now it is Share, which is my only option. So I click on it, but then it disappears.

NinjaTurtles

No lamb chop, so don’t you fork my peas
If the issue is just with browser based Facebook (desktop/mobile website), you should check that no add-ons/extensions are inferring and make sure the latest java update is installed. You can always reset to the browser defaults vs. checking each individual browser extension installed.

If it’s an issue across the Facebook app and desktop/mobile Facebook, it’s probably your privacy settings.

ChelleC

Anti-quad activist
@Vash01 when you click share does it have news feed or your story check marked? If it's your story then I believe those stories disappear after 24 hours. If you want it to be appear on your timeline, make certain that you have news feed clicked.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
@Vash01 when you click share does it have news feed or your story check marked? If it's your story then I believe those stories disappear after 24 hours. If you want it to be appear on your timeline, make certain that you have news feed clicked.

I don't check the story, but the post disappears in a few seconds or minutes (not 24 hours).

I tried checking newsfeed just Now. Will see tomorrow if it lasts.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
You may have to check it each time, since Story may be the default. FB can be irritating.

I don't use Story. I was able to post with or without Newsfeed last night/ early morning today. So far so good.

judiz

No matter how many times I click most recent, I can never get the most recent posts to show up on my iPad and especially my iPhone. Any suggestions?

PeterG

There are kitty vids on facebook??

(Inside joke...I have a lot of cat-lover friends on facebook and I swear I've blocked about 50 sources for cat videos!!) :lol:

PeterG

Add the likes that each shared kitty vid gets...subtract the remaining number of your friends on facebook...and you will have the number of annoyed friends receiving each kitty vid notification. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information