Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

kiss-n-cry

Team Brown
I know I'm most likely in the minority in this opinion, but I love Jason's Melancholy SP even more than Sinnerman. Yes, I know Sinnerman is a masterpiece, but Melancholy is beautifully choreographed and allows Jason's skating to breathe. It just really speaks to me on a personal level, too. I am determined to make it to Nationals next month so I can see him skate in person again. The last several months have been very difficult, and all I want to do right now is finish up chemo and go see my favorite skater. I know his skating is not a cure for cancer, but it may just heal my soul. And I'll take that.

Allskate

I know I'm most likely in the minority in this opinion, but I love Jason's Melancholy SP even more than Sinnerman. Yes, I know Sinnerman is a masterpiece, but Melancholy is beautifully choreographed and allows Jason's skating to breathe. It just really speaks to me on a personal level, too. I am determined to make it to Nationals next month so I can see him skate in person again. The last several months have been very difficult, and all I want to do right now is finish up chemo and go see my favorite skater. I know his skating is not a cure for cancer, but it may just heal my soul. And I'll take that.

I love them both. I do prefer Sinnerman. But, that could change. For some reason, I didn't like last week's performance as much as some of the earlier performances of Melancholy. Maybe it is the arm movements, but it could just be the lighting. Last week's lighting wasn't as melancholy. I love these two versions:

I hope you are healthier next month and are able to enjoy Nationals.

katmari

Sylvia

TBD
Jason shared this video of a group number in Daisuke Takahashi's "Ice Explosion" show (Jan. 6-8 in Shin-Yokohama): https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnMDI5zDucS/
Last week from the Cricket club: https://www.instagram.com/reel/CnWvxukDlHY/

Jason is scheduled to perform in Yuzuru Hanyu's Notta Stellata ice show in Miyagi (Hanyu's hometown, Sendai, is in Miyagi prefecture, that was devastated by the 2011 Great East Japan Earthquake), March 10-12, 2023: https://nottestellata.com/#castlink

He will perform on the U.S. Stars on Ice tour (starts in Anaheim, CA on May 20, 2 days after the Canadian SOI tour ends):

Last edited:

Fiero425

I would be happy seeing him for years to come. If he wants to stay I’m here for it.

But he has no chance to score well enough Int'l if he can't compete w/ the big jumps! Choreography & style can't save him IMO! :40beers:

Allskate

But he has no chance to score well enough Int'l if he can't compete w/ the big jumps! Choreography & style can't save him IMO!
:rolleyes: Interesting post for a fan thread.

At the Olympics and other international competitions, he finished ahead of skaters who were jumping quads. In any event, Jason doesn't need "saving." He has made it clear that he is competing at Nationals purely for the Nationals experience and not to try to make the Worlds team. Lots of people love his skating and come to see him for his beautiful skating and not to see other skaters doing quads.

Cachoo

:rolleyes: Interesting post for a fan thread.

At the Olympics and other international competitions, he finished ahead of skaters who were jumping quads. In any event, Jason doesn't need "saving." He has made it clear that he is competing at Nationals purely for the Nationals experience and not to try to make the Worlds team. Lots of people love his skating and come to see him for his beautiful skating and not to see other skaters doing quads.
And so we might see him for years to come! What a treat!

Cachoo

But he has no chance to score well enough Int'l if he can't compete w/ the big jumps! Choreography & style can't save him IMO! :40beers:
I suspect he could land in the top 24 for quite some time if that is what he desires. I’m just glad he is here.

greenapple

I am loving the fact that despite Malinin having two quads in his SP he only beat Brown by 10 points in the short - which is less than the value of one quad he did. That speaks to the quality of Jason Brown's skating - something Malinin can only aspire to. Malinin got two 10.0's on the second mark - Brown got 13. Who is the better skater? Being able to land difficult jumps is not the determining factor.

Allskate

I am loving the fact that despite Malinin having two quads in his SP he only beat Brown by 10 points in the short - which is less than the value of one quad he did. That speaks to the quality of Jason Brown's skating - something Malinin can only aspire to. Malinin got two 10.0's on the second mark - Brown got 13. Who is the better skater? Being able to land difficult jumps is not the determining factor.
Quads v. the rest has been an ongoing controversy for years, and the debate will never end. I think it's possible to respect and appreciate Ilia's quad talent and also appreciate the quality of Jason's jumps and other skating, including his artistry.

katmari

Jason is going to be very busy over the winter. Here are the events he is scheduled for (that I can recall):

Art on Ice (Switzerland) February 2-12
Notte Stellata (Japan) March 10-12
World Championships (Japan) March 20-26
Stars on Ice (Japan) March 31 - April 9
World Team Trophy (Japan) April 13-16*
Stars on Ice (Canada) April 28 - May 18
Stars on Ice (USA) May 20 - June 4

*Not confirmed but we all know how much Jason loves competing at WTT

The second photo of Charlotte and "Uncle J" is completely adorable!

Last edited:

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
There are two skaters who always take my breath away with their command of the blade and the glide across the ice, Patrick Chan and Jason Brown!! Happy we still have Jason taking our breath away. He was awesome at Nationals! He is going to have a busy few months. So glad he is representing us at Worlds!

DreamSkates

Quads v. the rest has been an ongoing controversy for years, and the debate will never end. I think it's possible to respect and appreciate Ilia's quad talent and also appreciate the quality of Jason's jumps and other skating, including his artistry.
I think points awarded by the judges did just what you stated. 100 points for his SP! And a great score for the LP with stellar triples.

Sylvia

TBD

The second photo of Charlotte and "Uncle J" is completely adorable!
Yes, the 21-month-old daughter of Grant Hochstein and Caroline Zhang was in San Jose to cheer on "Uncle J" on Sunday and even got to check out his silver medal afterwards! :)

My "paparazzi shot" of the family from across the arena :p: https://twitter.com/SylviaUnseen/status/1621336599756693504

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information