Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

katmari

kadavygrace

Banned Member
The only joke is how Nathan Chen with a bad skate can get almost as high of PCS as Jason. Honestly he probably shouldnt even with a good skate.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
And he didn't just win the PCS. He won the TES. Say it again: he won the technical mark without a quad because he executed so well. God, the day Jason gets even just one quad...he's going over 100 easily. And he'll deserve every second of it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
The only joke is how Nathan Chen with a bad skate can get almost as high of PCS as Jason. Honestly he probably shouldnt even with a good skate.

If Shoma and Hanyu can be overly coddled with poor skates, Nathan's score is nowhere near out of line. The judges are definitely not showering Nathan with high PCS and high GOE the way they do Shoma and Hanyu. Plus, Nathan did not attempt more than one quad in his sp. What is it you don't recognize about Nathan's skating? He's not perfect, but he does have a unique movement quality and exceptionally creative programs. Nathan deserves higher scores than he's been receiving for composition and interpretation. There's a lot of back-blow against Nathan because he did something never done before in landing five and six quads in a program, five cleanly several times. And it apparently irks a lot of people. That's what the sport rewarded though and it was an American male skater who gave it to them unexpectedly. It upset the apple cart and took some control away from the judges, thus the rules changes. Nathan does not have soft knees like Shoma, but Nathan is a much more musical skater with more creative depth than Shoma and Hanyu.

Finally, Jason receives the kind of PCS scores he's always deserved. Is that partly due to him having Orser as his coach? Politics and strategy are just as important as talent and training in this sport. And I do think that Orser understands how to strategize for his skaters and help them bring out their talent. So much of the possibility for success resides in the mind, not the muscles. But coaching is a different process for every athlete, and even the best coaches will not work for every athlete. Orser knows that too, in the same way that Raf understands the complications of the coaching process (see the recent translated interview with Raf in GSD).

The way Jason was focused for this performance was somewhat different from what I've seen from him previously, although there is some similarity to his unreal focus before his iconic Riverdance performance. His confidence was huge at that time because he believed in himself and trusted his coach and choreographer. It will be great if Jason has rediscovered that focus in a renewed way at this stage of his career trajectory. It will bode well if he can manage to access this kind of focus, belief and determination consistently going forward. He has always scored well when skating completely clean, but the tech and PCS scores were amped up because he had such precision and confidence, which he hasn't had for awhile. Doing everything technically clean with confidence and his usual brand of artistry, and it looks like the judges will go with Jason in a big way. But it also seems to me that judges' scores vary from event to event, and are also based on the field of competitors. There's a lot of manipulation of placements based not only on performances, but on how the judges decide to manipulate PCS and GOE.

Now, it's too bad that Jason's fp is not as boss as his sp, but let's see if he's been able to work more on improving the fp. I still don't think the opening music is right for Jason. I will never like this fp for Jason, but he did seem to feel in the moment with it better at Skate Canada than he did at Autumn Classic. So we'll see.

Last edited:

el henry

#WeAllWeGot #WeAllWeNeed
Okay, this has little to do with Jason, but I was going to make a snarky remark about when did Savchenkobossyjoubertlovekadavyfriend care about Jason, but I see FSU beat me to it:)

I do care, and I am:cheer2:

Seerek

French Europsport commentators were upset by how high Jason's score was

To be fair, the Fr Eurosport team being were equally picky in the short program with a couple of the other skaters in their relative scoring to Ponsart and Aymoz. But they should know full well Jason was already scoring low 90s in the -3/+3 GOE era.

AngieNikodinovLove

Frangi & Piazza & Paul & Hektor & Theo. Oh My! 😝
To be fair, the Fr Eurosport team being were equally picky in the short program with a couple of the other skaters in their relative scoring to Ponsart and Aymoz. But they should know full well Jason was already scoring low 90s in the -3/+3 GOE era.

LOL like Zag once said to Wagner, "let's see you do it!"

Firedancer

It was so great to see Jason skate so much better this weekend and look so happy in the kiss and cry. I think his SP is fantastic and was so well done this weekend. I still am not a fan of the FS. Like others, I think the slow section goes on too long. But it looked more complete this week and he looked so much more comfortable with it. With his quality and if he could get a quad in both programs he could really start pushing his way toward the top of the standings.

Sylvia

TBD
QUAD !!! in this interview with Wong and Orser (posted in another thread) Orser when talking about Jason Brown said that Jason had been landing some nice quads but did not include it in the GP -France because of an injury.
Brian O. talks about Jason near the end of the interview (said he had planned to try a quad in his Golden Spin FS but had a "little ankle injury before the day of the SP" in Zagreb, not France): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zW1KaZkBVKM&t=38m1s

Jordan Cowan posted this clip in honor of Jason's birthday: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bre2erNnQCH/

Behind-the-scenes/making of Jordan filming Jason's 3A, posted back in November: https://www.instagram.com/p/BqXMJhEHpOF/

Sylvia

TBD
Jason Brown checks in from Tucson, Arizona, while spending time with his family over the holidays! He reflects on the 2018 Grand Prix Series, for both himself and all of Team USA, and answers questions about competing before he kicks off the new year back in Toronto to gear up for the 2019 GEICO U.S. Figure Skating Championships. Watch the latest video [4 mins. long, linked below]...
https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/...own-reflecting-on-2018-grand-prix-series.aspx
(this video should be uploaded to USFS' YouTube channel at some point)

Sylvia

TBD
3 tweets by Lynn Rutherford re. Jason's pre-Nationals media call:
He is healthy, focused on the day-to-day training. There have been no big changes to his programs for #USChamps19 except "some of the patterns, a little bit of steps...they are evolving."
He & his coaching team recognize the move to Toronto meant an "18 month process and I was open to that...Change takes time." He thinks his event in France was a "turning point" & things are now "clicking, I'm understanding the technique."
He continues to train quad salchow & toe daily with his coaches, and quad salchow is planned for the FS in Detroit, but "We're not in any rush. It's about getting the technique, understanding it."
Tweeted by FigureSkatersOnline:
Tracy Wilson, Jason's day-to-day coach, will be with Jason at #USChamps19. He is planning a quad salchow in his free skate at Nationals.
ETA link to IFS' article based on the call: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/jason-brown-hard-work-paying-off/

Last edited:

Lizziebeth

Good for Jason. What he did - leaving a coach he had for so many years and moving to a new country and coaches - must have been a very tough decision. He has my respect for trying something new and I hope it really works out for him. Hope Nationals goes great for him.

katmari

Here's the in-depth interview with Jason from Inside Skating that was done at IdF:

http://www.insideskating.net/2019/0...-still-scratching-the-surface-of-my-potential

The writer, Nadia Vasilyeva, had helped arrange the fan meeting when Jason competed at Rostelecom a few years ago and he seems really comfortable talking with her during the interview. He goes over the same territory that he's done in other interviews but gives more details.

livetoskate

What a great, in depth interview. I can't wait to see Jason skate live. I remember when he skated in Greensboro in 2011(?) some people near me were snickering about his looks. That was when he wore this Japanese style top. After his amazing skate, everyone stood up and gave him a huge ovation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information