Downtown Jason Brown - Let the Good Times Roll (uber thread #2)

beckab81

Can anyone more tech savvy tell me why Jason can't land a quad? I would think he could.

I am thrilled for him being chosen for Olympic team.
I’m not super tech savvy, but I remember different interviews where he talked about changing his technique to snap into rotation faster. I think the technique he learned growing up had a bit of delayed rotation, which is stunning, but can lead to UR issues and make it harder to get the extra rotations. That’s why he struggled so much with the 3A earlier in his career, and I think why the quad has been such a challenge.

Interestingly, I think this is also part of the challenge that Karen Chen has, the foundational technique she learned makes for beautiful jumps, but not the extra rotation.

Sylvia

TBD
Article by Rachel Hale (Jan. 24):
Excerpt from the end:
Ahead of the Feb. 4 opening ceremony of the Winter Games, Brown’s schedule is packed with training, conducting interviews with Team U.S.A. and preparing for the Games’ Covid-19 protocol, which will require an isolation period following his arrival on Jan. 31. While coaches Wilson and Orser will make the trip to Beijing with Brown, his family will watch his performances on television from places like Los Angeles and Chicago in the U.S.
After attuning to every fine detail to make his Olympic dream happen a second time around, Brown’s packing his bags for Beijing knowing he can savor the Olympic experience – and leave everything else out on the ice.

Sylvia

TBD
Jason is headed to LA for processing:
For those without Instagram, he also tweeted the same pic: https://twitter.com/jasonbskates/status/1486733926072782850

ETA that Jason is now represented by the Stoked Management Group: https://stokedmg.com
Launched in August 2020, Stoked is a boutique agency representing iconic talent & brands. Our expertise and service offering includes endorsements, licensing, appearances, equity partnerships, PR, social media, legal and philanthropy. The Stoked agent team has over 40 years of industry experience aligning the world’s best talent with marketing’s most recognizable brands.

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Figure skater Jason Brown will make his second Olympic appearance in Beijing this February. Check out his answers in this round of rapid-fire questions from eight years ago and his current ones.

NBC Olympics profile (last updated Dec. 28, 2021):

His NBC Olympics' fluff video was posted on their IG today: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CZSKl6hA2QQ/

It appears that he, Mariah and Ashley/Timothy will fly from LA to Beijing tomorrow.

Sylvia

TBD
Jason & Mariah were on the TODAY show after walking in the opening ceremony:

Sylvia

TBD
Bringing this Feb 7th article by Dvora Meyers here (thanks, @Impromptu!):
I normally read 538 for the political analysis and forget that it's also got sporting analysis, so I was surprised to see this long article and video there ...
The video is well worth watching - it's part of their "Mental Games" series, and as much about Caroline Silby, the USFSA Sports psychologist (who works with Jason and others) as it is about Jason. If you're at all interested in the science of competitive wellness, the video is fantastic.

Finnice

I prefer quadless Brown to most of the multi-quad men. He skates, not just jumps.
Of course there are skaters who exel in both. And Jason himself knows that he will not win OGM sans quads. He can still deliver such a great skates despite that.

Allskate

I prefer quadless Brown to most of the multi-quad men. He skates, not just jumps.
Of course there are skaters who exel in both. And Jason himself knows that he will not win OGM sans quads. He can still deliver such a great skates despite that.

Yeah. Quads are essential. But, I find it frustrating that quads seem to affect the PCS scores. Or, at the very least, the PCS just doesn't count as much as tech. In theory, TES and PCS are equal, but there is a cap on PCS that is significantly lower than any cap on TES. And there is a much broader range of scores in TES than in PCS. It is really frustrating that there is less than 7 points difference in PCS between Jason and Semenenko.

ETA: I rewatched Jason's short program on Peacock and you could hear them in the kiss and cry very well. I thought it was very sweet how much Tracy and Brian really admire and appreciate Jason. Tracy was thanking Jason.

DreamSkates

Yeah. Quads are essential. But, I find it frustrating that quads seem to affect the PCS scores. Or, at the very least, the PCS just doesn't count as much as tech. In theory, TES and PCS are equal, but there is a cap on PCS that is significantly lower than any cap on TES. And there is a much broader range of scores in TES than in PCS. It is really frustrating that there is less than 7 points difference in PCS between Jason and Semenenko.

ETA: I rewatched Jason's short program on Peacock and you could hear them in the kiss and cry very well. I thought it was very sweet how much Tracy and Brian really admire and appreciate Jason. Tracy was thanking Jason.
Yes so compare Jason’s or even Shoma’s non-technical points to Kagiyama. Something should change with the scoring. But that’s not a new idea. I was thinking about this with Schizas and K Chen.

Allskate

Yes so compare Jason’s or even Shoma’s non-technical points to Kagiyama. Something should change with the scoring. But that’s not a new idea.

Yeah, Shoma's PCS was lower than Kagiyama's. The little jumping mistake by Shoma should not have caused that IMO. I do think that Kagiyama has good skating skills and not just gorgeous quads, and I am excited to see where he takes his skating, but even he recognizes that he is not in the same league as Shoma right now. I think he will push himself to improve all aspects of his skating, if only to be competitive with skaters like Shoma. And when you take the programs overall, IMO, Kagiyama and Jason should not be receiving essentially the same PCS score. But, it's even more frustrating to me to see skaters who are soooo much weaker in PCS not getting substantially lower PCS scores.

Impromptu

Sekret Custom Title
Career retrospective on Jason from Hersh... although he hasn't made a decision yet, it sounds like he's considering retirement. :(

"I really don’t know for sure," Brown told me in a phone conversation a week before leaving for China. "I will definitely take some sort of break before seeing how the world looks and what I want to do next.

"COVID threw all of us for a loop, so it’s a weird year to say this is my final year and crazy to think my final competition would be without my family in the audience. But after the long program at nationals (which his parents could attend), I had this feeling of pride and of acceptance that I have given it my all, gone down all these different avenues, explored, learned, grew, persevered.

katmari

Last edited:

Fiero425

I didn't know Jason was bringing back "Shindler's List!" Very nice LP, but just not competitive with all these Quad Kings! :40beers:

Finnice

While I see how good Nathan and Yuma were, for me Jason's was the best performance of the MF. Full of soul and great choreography, lovely clean landings, finished movements from head to toe and fingertips. No quad - ok for me. There are rules in figure skating, and you don't win the competition without quads. I accept that. My heart is totally won by Jason's skating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information