Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

screech

Okay wow! Did not see that bottom two. Who the heck keeps voting for Skai and Nelly?
Johnny's cumulative score was higher across the season, but he's now been saved twice. Won't happen again.

I liked how they did the dance-offs this year - the pairings were well matched. Didn't like how they picked the safe person though. It's normally the one with the highest score of the night (Johnny or Kaitlyn), and if it's a tie, they usually then pick the one with the highest cumulative score of the two (Johnny). I don't think they've ever picked the safe person based on the PREVIOUS week before.

Lilia A

And in the bottom 2 again despite being at the top of the leaderboard. It's clear they don't have the votes. I don't see him surviving a double elimination next week.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
Okay wow! Did not see that bottom two. Who the heck keeps voting for Skai and Nelly?
Johnny's cumulative score was higher across the season, but he's now been saved twice. Won't happen again.

I liked how they did the dance-offs this year - the pairings were well matched. Didn't like how they picked the safe person though. It's normally the one with the highest score of the night (Johnny or Kaitlyn), and if it's a tie, they usually then pick the one with the highest cumulative score of the two (Johnny). I don't think they've ever picked the safe person based on the PREVIOUS week before.
I'm a little surprised Johnny was in the bottom 2 rather than Nelly tonight. The paso doble worked well for Skai's dead-eyed stare tonight so I can understand why she didn't hit the bottom 2. I don't know that I think Johnny's for sure gone if he hits the bottom next week. Depends on who else is there, IMO.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I agree with the judges saving Johnny over AJ.

I thought Nelly should have gone home tonight.
Nelly, AJ and Skai are my bottom 3. They can go next in any order.

How can tomorrow be the semi-finals if we still have so many dancers? Also, don't the quarter-finals happen before the semi-finals? I think someone doesn't understand what those words mean. :D

Susan1

Funny, when they got down to the bottom two, I thought "those are the two that just SKATED against each other" (instead of dance). Johnny has gotten better every week.

What was wrong with Derek's eyes?

meggonzo

Banned Member
Nelly, AJ and Skai are my bottom 3. They can go next in any order.

How can tomorrow be the semi-finals if we still have so many dancers? Also, don't the quarter-finals happen before the semi-finals? I think someone doesn't understand what those words mean. :D
AJ was eliminated.

The next show is on Monday, not tomorrow. I think there is a double elimination next week, and then four dancers compete in the final?

Debbie S

Yeah, Derek's eye makeup was a good example of how not to apply eyeliner. I assume the DWTS makeup artists did it that way on purpose, maybe they wanted to make it really obvious.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I loved Johnny's dance & am pleasantly surprised that Britt is such a good choreographer since this is her first season. They should have won the dance off by all 3 judges. And I hated the bottom 2. It should have been Nelly & Skai. She seems to be a nice little girl but she looks like a fish out of water among all the adults. I thought she was like a kid playing dress-up doing such a mature dance. She's still too woodened imo.

Susan1

He was wearing eye makeup. He was dressed as David Bowie for Icons Night.
Alrighty then. What were Carrie Ann and Bruno?

Did anybody's t.v. keep freezing up? It only did it when I was watching in HD. I switched back to the regular channel every time it did it, and it wasn't doing it. So I stayed on just the regular ABC channel for the rest of the hour and a half and it was fine. All I kept seeing was Derek's eyes, only smaller. Now that I have a new car battery, I guess the t.v. will go out now. It's about 5 years old too.

Cupid

Johnny was excellent! Nelly has a great choreographer who can hide his flawed technique. I think Skye has that caught in the headlights look to her because I think she's spotting when she dances so she doesn't get dizzy.

For once, Tyra looked great (first costume choice, anyways).

love skating

Clueless American
The next show is on Monday, not tomorrow. I think there is a double elimination next week, and then four dancers compete in the final?

Oh dear, if it is a double then I really give Johnny little chance of making it. :( I really want to see a Johnny freestyle! Nelly was fun in the beginning but he hasn't really progressed much so it's not cute anymore. I thought the dance offs judging were weird, like the judges were purposely trying to help the team with the lower score. Kaitlyn and Johnny got 30s and then suddenly the judges dump them for dancers less adept in the dance off. And though Skai won, Derek voted for Nelly, then he voted for AJ to stay st the end - the eyeliner must have clouded his judgment!

meggonzo

Banned Member
I preferred Justina in the dance off with Kaitlyn so I was fine with that.

It's curious that Nelly and Skai faced off when they are the two that most people think should have been in the bottom.

Susan1

Bruno was George Michael. Tyra thought Carrie Ann was dressed as Mariah Carey, but she claimed she was just a generic icon. ok.
Huh? ha ha A "generic icon" of what decade? What type of music? Didn't she get the memo? Sheesh.

NoTomorrow

Agreed! I did not like how they did that. Johnny should have had the top spot all to himself since Nev messed up more than once in his dance.

NoTomorrow

I loved Johnny's dance & am pleasantly surprised that Britt is such a good choreographer since this is her first season. They should have won the dance off by all 3 judges. And I hated the bottom 2. It should have been Nelly & Skai. She seems to be a nice little girl but she looks like a fish out of water among all the adults. I thought she was like a kid playing dress-up doing such a mature dance. She's still too woodened imo.
I was trying to figure out why the judges didn't give it to Johnny on his dance off. His jive had way more content than AJ's and he was so much sharper than he was on his last jive. I could see the Olympian's determination in his eyes. He deserved better than what they did. I hope this doesn't rattle his confidence.

screech

Oh dear, if it is a double then I really give Johnny little chance of making it. :( I really want to see a Johnny freestyle! Nelly was fun in the beginning but he hasn't really progressed much so it's not cute anymore. I thought the dance offs judging were weird, like the judges were purposely trying to help the team with the lower score. Kaitlyn and Johnny got 30s and then suddenly the judges dump them for dancers less adept in the dance off. And though Skai won, Derek voted for Nelly, then he voted for AJ to stay st the end - the eyeliner must have clouded his judgment!
I went for Justina in theirs. Kaitlyn was a bit too 'elegant' for a cha cha IMO, though she was technically good. And I went for Skai in their dance off, though again it was close. I had a hard time choosing between Johnny and AJ in theirs, but I went Johnny. I really liked how everyone was paired off.

Also, though he's definitely the weakest dancer, it was also the night Nelly had the most content in both of his dances, instead of Daniella just dancing around him.

According to Wikipedia, the top dancers are all incredibly close in cumulative scores across the entire season.
1. Nev/Jenna - 225
2. Kailtyn/Artem - 223
3. Johnny/Britt - 219
4. Justina/Sasha - 213
(5. AJ/Cheryl - 206)
6. Skai/Alan 203
9. Nelly/Daniella - 193

love skating

Clueless American
Yeah, you guys are right - Justina was good and I always find Kaitlyn boring, but the judges usually fawn all over her so that's why I was kinda surprised at the judging.

Does anyone know if it's two full dances next week? I hadn't heard anything yet. If so, it could help those who score higher to get a bigger point cushion. On the other hand, they usually don't give out anything lower than 8's now so I don't know how much of a point spread we can get.

Susan1

I was trying to figure out why the judges didn't give it to Johnny on his dance off. His jive had way more content than AJ's and he was so much sharper than he was on his last jive. I could see the Olympian's determination in his eyes. He deserved better than what they did. I hope this doesn't rattle his confidence.
They sort of talk among themselves for a minute there. They just want it to be suspenseful, so they probably say I'll vote for one, you vote for the other, and you go last and break the tie.

NoTomorrow

I think Justina's scores should be higher. How is she below Johnny?
I don't think Johnny's quickstep should have gotten a perfect 30 though I'm happy for him but Justina did not deserve a high score for that rumba. I was questioning where the content was. And she didn't finish all of her arm movements which is surprising because she's so good at that. It just felt too small and careful like she's trying not to make a mistake instead of dancing with the wild abandon she had at the beginning of the season. I miss that Justina but she brought it back in her cha cha relay. That was her best dance of the night.

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
Johnny has already done a freestyle. IIRC he got 10s across the board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information