Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

screech

I was extremely underwhelmed last night. Nobody jumped out at me at all.

bets that next week Carole Baskin will be dancing to a song from Lion King?
I was trying to think of cat themed disney songs and completely forgot that The Lion King exists. I was thinking of The Aristocats

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I don't think Carol should be held to feline songs any more than Johnny would be held to songs about skating. I like Nelly too but not so far as a dancer.

MacMadame

Doing all the things
I'm pretty sure it's Carole's thing to dance to songs about cats. That's okay... she'll be gone next week. :D

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
I always liked Nelly. I remember he was on a talk show years ago and they gave him a UPS uniform because when he was little he wanted to be a UPS delivery man. It was so adorable, lol.

I'm glad he's back on his feet, even if they are flat!

Kind of have to root for Vernon because he's clearly taking this sooooo seriously.

skylark

Derek is the best new thing! I only ever watched the show because he added a creative touch to every dance, while (almost) staying within the requirements of the dance. Now, he's the best judge. He said something encouraging to each contestant, and also gave each one something he'd like to see them work on.

My two favorites are Anne Heche and Nev, also shout-out to Justina and double shout-out to her adorable partner, Sasha. Anne gives each dance an actress edge, both face and body-wise, subtle and true. Nev is simply charming through and through, with his movement and gorgeous smile. Justina performs for the audience at home, knowing she can reach us through the camera.

I like Johnny so much also, and I find it oddly endearing that he seems nervous. He likes his coach, and so do I ... and I think he'll loosen up. I don't think Lady Ga-Ga worked as well for him as he thought, but of course she was his choice. I liked his comment in one of the articles @Sylvia linked that he found out "I like to be told what to do." Coaching!

I hate, hate, hate that they fired Tom. He had the unusual skill of staying on script while also adding in humor that reacted to unpredictable things that happened right then. Also, any reality show is improved by having the ability to make fun of itself. Tom gave DWTS that quality. Tyra stays on script and somehow also makes it about herself.

taf2002

I hate hate hate that they chose Tyra for the replacement. Who in the world thought she would be an improvement over Tom? I would understand if it was an attempt to add diversity but there are scads of better choices for that. Queen Latifah comes to mind. Or Ru Paul. That would be fabulous. IMO Tyra has already had her 15 minutes & needs to just go where I never need to see her smug face again.

screech

I guess I'm cheering for Jesse and Sharna this week, since they're dancing to "King of New York" from Newsies. I don't know that I really think it's the best song for a jive, but anything newsies is good for me. I think it's the first time anyone has done Newsies on the show.

And of course they have to have someone (Nev and Jenna) dancing to Pirates of the Caribbean. Can they do a Disney night without?

Poor Justina and Sasha have to live up to Charlie/Sharna's fantastic Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. IMO one of (if not THE) best Disney night dances in DWTS history. Here's hoping there's no prop issues (I loved Charlie/Sharna even had a prop issue when they re-did it in the finale)!

Oh, and confirmed that Carole is doing Lion King. A Samba to Circle of Life. Not really what I think of for a samba...

skylark

I loved Charlie/Sharna's Supercalifrag... and all the rest. I loved that Charlie made a point of picking happy music. I'm not a fan of the tear-jerker set-ups, and Charlie wanted to show happiness. Sometimes I think people are afraid that'll make them seem shallow.

I will look forward to Nev and Jenna's Pirates of the Caribbean. And yes, they HAVE to do it! Pirates has everything for a great dance: drama, humor, big movements, props, costumes! :) Did I forget anything?

skylark

^^ I think the judges have learned/decided to keep scores a little lower in the first few weeks, if possible, so that they and the players will have somewhere to go. But if someone really blows a skate out of the water, they'll go higher.

Skai had a bad mishap, where her foot and leg got caught on Alan's shoulder or something. It was a big, visible error, just the kind they have to lower scores for, to be fair to others.

screech

Okay how cute was Jeannie's reaction to her scores. She was that excited for 7s, and then being so excited for an 8 that she steals the paddle? lol.

If Len doesn't come back, can Derek please stay on as head judge? Or even if Len does return? He's absolutely fantastic. I expected him to to make it The Derek Show, but he's been brilliant. And his costumes have even outshined Bruno's (though I love Bruno's blazer this week).

screech

Johnny's best dance so far by far! And kind of crazy that his most subdued costume so far is when he's dressed as a character.

Nev was great, but IMO so far Kaitlyn is in a class of her own.

Lacey

I think that Johnny's first two weeks had more difficult dances for him than this, or maybe he really was more nervous for those two, but tonight he had some great long lines and pointed toes, and more of the flavor of the dance, he was definitely more comfortable, great job!

Last edited:

Debbie S

OK, I know there are 2 large fans in the hallway outside my door (from a building flood) and I also have laundry going, but I couldn't hear half of what Tyra said during the final results. Was it just me?

#BringBackTom

BaileyCatts

#BringBackTomBergeron . :mitchell:

Johnny really improved this week. Maybe he is getting more comfortable dancing now that its a few weeks into practice. He seemed very nervous the first 2 weeks. Everyone did pretty good tonight. Well Carol, I mean she's like my age and has never danced before and she did better than I ever could have so I'll give her props for that. But she was the right choice to go tonight over Anne. Although I think Anne might be next to go.

I'm really liking Derek as a Judge, even though he sometimes annoys me, and the way he is giving critiques on things to work on while also giving encouragement.

And seriously .... there's like 11tybillion Disney movies out there. Why do we keep getting the same songs, the same routines, and even the same costumes every season on Disney night! I like Justina, but no one should ever be allowed to do Supercali again after Charlie & Sharna's routine. :p

Susan1

I made sort of notes (not knowing names).

Derek is a good judge. He knows what they are supposed to do, but realizes they can't do it all as well yet as they will. He has good suggestions. But it always bugs me that they tell people what they should have done in that particular dance afterwards. They'll be doing a different dance next week. I guess they can apply the critique if they are still there to do the dance again.

I'm not going to jinx anybody. I liked the Little Mermaid dance. And Nev. And the Bachelorette. And I'm so glad Chrishell did better (because of All My Children) and she really seems to be able to do better. I liked the Up routine. And I agree with the judges on the Mary Poppins thing. She could have done better. She lost her spark. I don't agree about Johnny. Did his feet even do anything. I thought his arms were too jerky as opposed to "sharp" and his butt stuck out too much. I know he can't help it, but they are always telling people to pull it in. The other two guys, just me watching, I thought all they did was step the moves. I wish Anne would have done better. She seems like she really could do better. I thought the right person went home.

taf2002

I loved Nev, AJ, & Johnny, & Vernon did so much better this week. I also wish Anne could have done better. I like her. The type of pwetty waltz at the end always gets good scores but I thought there was very little content to it so to me the scores were inflated. Justina looked stiff to me for the 1st time. I thought her scores were fair. I didn't like Carole's dance but I thought her scores were unnecessarily low, esp since the judges had to know she would be going home.

I've talked to Johnny at skating events over the years & I can attest to the fact that he is a lot more vulnerable than he lets on. (Often skaters would really talk to me because I was older than the usual fan.) His hubris may fool you but he let us see his vulnerability last night & I thought it was sweet.

just tuned in

Way too many 8s thrown around for the later dancers. Scoring inflation! If Jennie had danced last, she might have gotten all 8s.

I like Nelly, but does he need to wear all his diamonds for every dance? Necklace, bracelet, watch, and the ginormous earrings. We get it Nelly. You're rich.

Anne Heche needs to take her Keo worship down a notch.

Carole Baskin and Pasha should have danced to Hakuna Matata for the samba beat. And Pasha needs to sue/ production needs to fire whomever put him in those kiddie pajamas and bat snout prosthetic.

The sound was all messed up for Tyra and I couldn't be more pleased. Shallow: her legs looked terrible in that "dress."

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information