Dancing with the Stars, Season 29

MacMadame

Doing all the things
Who the heck is she? I recognize no names except Johnny, Heche and Jesse Metcalfe.
She's the lady that runs a tiger sanctuary and Joe Exotic hated and tried to have killed and is suspected of having fed her first husband to her tigers. It was in the Netflix "documentary" Tiger King.

Debbie S

I'm a size 2 or 4 (depending on brand) and Justina was one of my favorites last night. Agree that she could go far.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I can't remember her name but the Batchelorette is the typical plastic doll that that show keeps churning out. Nothing memorable.

Kaitlyn Bristowe, who is way past her 15 minutes of fame. And who danced really badly for someone whose bio on The Bachelorette said she used to be a dance instructor.

Yuri

It really doesn't seem like DWTS without the incredible Tom Bergeron. If they had to bring on Tyra Banks, why couldn't it have been to partner with him, replacing Erin Andrews, rather than dumping both of them? I really liked having both a male and a female host and cannot see Tyra carrying on by herself successfully. It's bad enough that Judge Len is stuck in England, he always adds a touch of class, but holy crap I didn't recognize the fabulous Bruno au naturel!

Rooting for Johnny and I too thought that he was a bit under-marked compared to the others at 18, maybe he could have a 7, but no one was getting big marks on opening night. I can't remember the last time I saw a 3, and I haven't seen nor do I want to see Tiger King, so lets ship Bristowe out ASAP please. But I expected much more from a singer/musician like Nelly (whose big song It's Getting Hot in Here is well know to Baltimore Ravens NFL football fans, as Hall of Famer Ray Lewis (former DWTS cast member, as well) always "danced" to it coming out of the tunnel.

puglover

I have not watched regularly for quite some time so any of my insights can be taken with a grain of salt. I have recently been turned off by the Hough siblings and had found Julianne's comments/critiques on AGT to be useless. When I heard they were having Derek judge I was not happy but I actually found him very good last night. His insights seemed helpful and concise and actually plausible fixes for those new to dance. Justina has star quality that just dares you to take your eyes away. I thought Johnny seemed a bit tense or nervous.

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
She's the lady that runs a tiger sanctuary and Joe Exotic hated and tried to have killed and is suspected of having fed her first husband to her tigers. It was in the Netflix "documentary" Tiger King.

OK, I read about that thing for five minutes and ran screaming so I'm glad I didn't know who she was. But we're still bingeing West Wing in my house, almost through the last season, so no live TV til we're done. (And if you've never watched it because you're too young or were too busy and you have Netflix, now's the time.) Now back to your regularly-scheduled dancing thread.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Well I liked her because I saw a beautiful, confident, young woman in a gorgeous dress who can move like nobody’s business. Why would you think she would appeal specifically to us fat folk?

Exactly. She had charisma and personality, she danced well, and she was fun to watch because she was having fun too. To say she was put on the show just to appeal to "plus-size fans" is really insulting.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What an uppity thing to say. I wear a size 12, is that plus size enough for you?

I loved how she had rhythm and how much she was enjoying the dancing, her footwork seemed good too for Week 1. I also think Sasha will be a great partner for her.

I thought Tyra was terrible, maybe the lack of audience was affecting her, maybe she was very nervous, I don't know. I would probably miss Tom no matter who was up there though, especially since it wasn't his decision to leave.
Pretty much what Desperado said here about why I liked Justina. She also had great posture and carriage throughout most of the dance. She wasn't loose or slouchy.

Cupid

I love Justina! She's rocking the dance competition. Can't believe you are body shaming her!
I hardly think saying someone is plus size is body shaming. Give me a break. If some said I were petite, is that body shaming?

Rob

Beach Bum
Justina actually performed. I think others did a better job at execution, but she looked like she was having fun. Johnny executed with line and extension, but he was a bit stiff. Hopefully he will continue and will not feel black inside.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I hardly think saying someone is plus size is body shaming. Give me a break. If some said I were petite, is that body shaming?

It would be if they were tying your body weight to your ability to do something, or to how appealing you would be to an audience. Which is what you did by saying that Justina was put on DWTS to appeal to "plus-size" fans.

Cupid

I can state my opinion, and you can state your opinion. That's all I'm gonna say about Justina. Carry on,

taf2002

Fluff up your tutu & dance away.....
I didn't finish watching until last night which was the 1st time I saw Justina. I thought she was so entertaining. And it doesn't hurt that she's paired with Sasha.

VGThuy

I loved Justina Machado since she was on Six Feet Under and love her even more when I watched the One Day at a Time reboot in which she stars. I think she’s a great comedic actress that is capable of doing drama and I’m not surprised she’s near the top. I’m so happy we live in a era where an actress like her is a leading lady on a sitcom. I can’t believe someone is trying to discredit her by saying she only appeals to “plus-sized” people and reducing her to her body size. And then defending it because she beat Johnny Weir. There’s a whole line of people ahead of Johnny Weir, why single her out in such a way? What a disgusting comment.

Jeannie Mai is a fave of my sisters and I knew of her before DWTS. Her winning an Emmy with the other hosts of The Real was one of the best Emmy acceptance speeches ever. Apparently, The Real has been the best morning gabfest show for a while now but The View always overshadows it with all the yelling they do to one another.

Also, nobody told me Anne Heche was on this show! What a blast from the past. I hope she stays on because I remember the height of her fame from dating Ellen and then realizing she’s not really attracted to women (though I think she still identifies as bi but I’m not sure) to her public breakdown. Maybe she has turned things around for her.

just tuned in

Last year Kate Flannery did well with new pro Pasha. I thought Johnny was a bit underscored. He was definitely better than some of the others who got 6s. And of course he would wear see-through pants.

Loved Anne Heche. She was better than I expected, and having a blast. And Justina was great too. Skai was fantastic.

Loving that the judges are giving everyone constructive criticism for a change. And I'm liking Derek as a judge. Also liking both Carrie Ann and Bruno's hair. Is this the most subdued we've ever seen Bruno dressed? Never thought we'd see Derek sparklier than Bruno.

I'm reserving judgement on Tyra. She's definitely no Tom or Erin, but she's not terrible. I'm worried it'll veer into becoming the Tyra show a bit.

It is the Tyra show. Hate her.

Stupid for Tyra to comment on how novel it must feel to Derek to be a judge. Has she no awareness of "World of Dance?"

Pasha is wasted on Carole B. I would have preferred Pasha with Anne Heche or the cheerleader lady.

vgerdes

Stupid for Tyra to comment on how novel it must feel to Derek to be a judge. Has she no awareness of "World of Dance?"

Well, WOD is on a competing network. But I took it more to mean that it was novel for Derek to be a judge on a program where he had once been a competitor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information