Daisuke Takahashi decided to become an ice-dancer (with Kana Muramoto) after Jan 2020

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Switching to ice dance is different than doing it in parallel with other disciplines at a young age. It isn't uncommon to see some ambitious skaters skate in all 3 (singles, pairs and dance) and then drop the ones that are not that promising for their future. I don't mean it to be insulting but I have heard skaters say that they weren't good at jumps or were intimidated by pairs and took up ice dance. They could be joking or serious. Those are very valid reasons. In any case, all disciplines require a unique set of skills which may or may not work for everyone.
Kana also switched from singles to ice dance in 2014 so she is a bit new to the discipline as well. But she picked up quickly and had a good run with Chris Reed. I'm contrasting this in comparison to those who have started skating when they were kids. Even for those who have been ice dancing as kids, a new partnership always poses challenges but there are examples of success e.g. G/P or H/D. If there is passion and determination, it is very possible. It will be interesting to see how this works out.

I'm reminded of the time I attended the 1992 US Championships.

Troy Goldstein not only competed in senior men's singles, he competed in senior pairs and senior dance with his sister, Dawn. It was crazy to see him skate six or seven times during the week and barely bat an eye.

The running joke became, if he could have, Troy would probably have entered the ladies' event or synchro as well.

ostile17

Daisuke Takahshi and Kana Muramoto held a press conference yesterday in Yokohama.
A video with English subtitles and an article in English from The Olympic Channel

#Figureskating Olympic medallist Daisuke Takahashi has announced he’s swapping singles for ice dance.

He and new partner Kana Muramoto have their sights set on #Beijing2022.

More 👉 http://bit.ly/2n2hhhO

muffinplus

Unrelated to Daisuke's new career as an ice dancer, but I just rewatched this program... damn it is so gorgeous...

YukiNieve

Daisuke's new SP, The Phoenix (the exhibition version that he skated at Carnival on Ice).

His passionate dance!

Plusdinfo

I think Daisuke is a truly exceptional mover/dancer, perhaps the most versatile mover in men's singles in the past thirty years. My choice on the ladies' side would be Oksana Baiul. Imagine them doing a dance or pairs routine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information