Daisuke Takahashi decided to become an ice-dancer (with Kana Muramoto) after Jan 2020

Orm Irian

It's not unprecedented for a singles skater to switch to ice dance relatively late in their career - Alper Ucar and Fedor Andreev both did it, though Andreev didn't stick around very long. Dai is older, but given all that he's accomplished anything else would just be a cherry on top.

Stephane Walker of Switzerland also switched to ice dance last year and is about to make his international debut, at Finlandia IIRC.

Carolla5501

I guess I am the only person kind of saddened by this. To me it just feels like a "desperation" move somehow. Hopefully I am wrong.

MsZem

I see the sea
Aren't Charlene Guignard and Marco Fabbri almost the exact same height?
Yes, 4cm per the ISU bio.

The combination of age, inexperience and lack of height difference is a lot to overcome. Though I imagine their will goals reflect this.

Sasha'sSpins

🇺🇦💙🙏💛🇺🇦
I had to check the date of my calender first, to believe this. I think, it's a marvelous idea. He has excellent skating skills, why not improve in this field further. Perhaps become an Olympian 22. I'd love it 😍
I literally checked the date first too lol! I thought it was April Fool's Day!

I'm all for it! Love me some Dai! ❤

Last edited:

maatTheViking

Roxaaannnneeee!!!
I think this is great news!

He has always had great musicality, and as he has shown with his comeback, he is good about having realistic goals. I hope Muramoto is in agreement, but I can't see why not.

I love her ice dancing, and is also thrilled to see her on the ice again!

ostile17

Just aired in Japan

FNN Live News

Last edited:

ostile17

I guess I am the only person kind of saddened by this. To me it just feels like a "desperation" move somehow. Hopefully I am wrong.

Why would he be desperate? He has a hugely successful career as an athlete and as an artist both on and off the ice. He has always delivered successfully whatever he has started and his popularity in Japan and around the world has never faded even after his retirement.

He just loves yet another challenge. That's the man he is! :)

ETA - Sorry, I didn't see my first reply had gone through already :slinkaway

Last edited:

kittyjake5

I wish he had done this much earlier. Not sure if he can pull it off now.

We will have to wait and see how it plays out. On the other hand they will have a top rated coach, training base in the US and
the support of JSF. When you think of it this is a huge commitment and quite a challenge for Dai. If someone told
me a year ago that Dai was goIng to sing in Hyoen I would have said sure what are you drinking, but for those who watched
the production, there he was singing his heart out, and he was good.

I don't think for a minute Dai thinks they can compete with the elite Ice Dancers, but for Japan I think it is a good move.

Last edited:

Spun Silver

I too thought "wait, it's not April 1!" What amazing news - how cool of Daisuke to put his reputation on the line and try another discipline. I can't wait to see how he and Kana look as a team. I do admit to being a bit nervous about the lifts. I'm also thrilled about their working with Marina. Her rink is becoming such a happening place!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information