Coughlin's Safe Sport Status Changed to Interim Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

skatfan

This is according to Christine Brennan in this Tweet:

https://twitter.com/cbrennansports/status/1086078365327491074

If additional allegations have been made, as Brennan guesses, I'm thinking that The Skating Lesson and Christine Brennan's article probably are the reason.

Note to mods: I understood that any change in his official status would be an ok reason to post a new thread. Hopefully this meets the criteria.

RoseRed

Also from Christine:
Breaking news: US Figure Skating has just temporarily suspended John Coughlin following SafeSport's decision to elevate his disciplinary record to "Interim Suspension." This means Coughlin cannot participate in any USFS activities, including the upcoming national championships.
US Figure Skating statement on suspension of John Coughlin: This action prohibits Coughlin from participating in any capacity, in any activity or competition authorized by, organized by, or under the auspices of USFS, USOC & NGBs, including USFS-member clubs and/or organizations.

her grace

Team Guignard/Fabbri
Safe sport doesn’t have jurisdiction over the ISU, though. Unless he’s repping USFS on those committees or USFS pays the bills for travel, hotels, etc. when the committee meets, it seems he could continue those duties.

VGThuy

Whether or not additional allegations came forward due to TSL and Christine Brennan or not, I will have to say it's good it was discussed and reported on so long as they aren't reporting things that they don't know anything about but rather just going by the facts and what they do know for sure. I don't know why Coughlin's status changed to an interim suspension as an investigation was already going on and the interim suspension tends to be a natural evolution of what happens to one who is reported on SafeSport whether or not it's been reported. Maybe TSL and Brennan's reports ensured that the investigation was expedited or as skatfan said, it inspired more people to come out. We don't know. I hate to give TSL credit for anything but this time Dave Lease used his need to gossip and be messy for good. I don't watch TSL anymore or pay attention to them on social media, so I don't know if he has gone beyond the bounds of just reporting what he knows, but if he stuck with just reporting the facts, then I'm glad he brought it up. People should know these things.

LarrySK8

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...pairs-skater-suspended-by-u-s-figure-skating/

They also post Brennan's tweet saying, "now suspended by SafeSport & USFS over what are believed to be several allegations of sexual misconduct."

This is not a report of any fact by the journalist, who is reporting a, "belief," that is not ascribed to anyone in particular and I am afraid that it reads as, and is intended to read as, a direct allegation of sexual misconduct. The journalist should not engage in this type of misleading discourse.

Many will find him "guilty" before anything is determined or any specifics disclosed. Employers will, in essence, no longer work with him, etc. The USFS, a professional society, essentially bans him until further notice. All based on a "belief" that sexual allegations were made, and prior to, a final determination of any events, facts or guilt.

Harsh treatment for the initial stages of an investigation and in response to, as of now, an unknown allegation(s). Unless the ISU, John Wilson and USFS were given details of the allegations to determine if suspension and or firing was in order - in back room meetings.

BittyBug

Disgusted
Safe sport doesn’t have jurisdiction over the ISU, though. Unless he’s repping USFS on those committees or USFS pays the bills for travel, hotels, etc. when the committee meets, it seems he could continue those duties.
I believe that is exactly the way that the ISU committees work - individuals are there as representatives of their member federation. So I think that getting banned from USFS events would extend to ISU events as well.

VGThuy

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2019...pairs-skater-suspended-by-u-s-figure-skating/

They also post Brennan's tweet saying, "now suspended by SafeSport & USFS over what are believed to be several allegations of sexual misconduct."

This is not a report of any fact by the journalist, who is reporting a, "belief," that is not ascribed to anyone in particular and I am afraid that it reads as, and is intended to read as, a direct allegation of sexual misconduct. The journalist should not engage in this type of misleading discourse.

Many will find him "guilty" before anything is determined or any specifics disclosed. Employers will, in essence, no longer work with him, etc. The USFS, a professional society, essentially bans him until further notice. All based on a "belief" that sexual allegations were made, and prior to, a final determination of any events, facts or guilt.

Harsh treatment for the initial stages of an investigation and in response to, as of now, an unknown allegation(s). Unless the ISU, John Wilson and USFS were given details of the allegations to determine if suspension and or firing was in order - in back room meetings.

I wonder if Brennan got her information from trusted sources to be able to say "it is believed to be sexual misconduct." Maybe she's right and has sources who verified that to her. Or maybe she's just going by people's assumptions that the misconduct must be sexual in nature. Technically, it's not wrong that she said it is believed because it is, but unless she was told something from a trusted source, it seems irresponsible to be before the nature of the allegations come out.

skatfan

I wonder if Brennan got her information from trusted sources to be able to say "it is believed to be sexual misconduct." Maybe she's right and has sources who verified that to her. Or maybe she's just going by people's assumptions that the misconduct must be sexual in nature. Technically, it's not wrong that she said it is believed because it is, but unless she was told something from a trusted source, it seems irresponsible to be before the nature of the allegations come out.

I'm guessing that there is more information being given to Christine on a confidential basis. Even I've now heard a couple of tidbits and I'm WAY out of the loop on this kind of thing. Since anything I've heard qualifies as gossip or rumor, I am not sharing.

D

Deleted member 221

Brennan has sources who have provided verifiable information indicating that there are multiple accusations that meet basic standards of credibility; however, she has probably not seen with her own eyes the actual complaint forms that were filed. I'm no fan of hers, but I don't think what she wrote is misleading at all.

Many will find him "guilty" before anything is determined or any specifics disclosed.

He is absolutely innocent until proven guilty.

I suspect they have access to more details and made the decision on an interim suspension after determining that there was some substance to the accusations (which does not imply guilt). Some "innocent until proven guilty" people are kept in jail during their trial because the risk is too high. If the accusations against John Coughlin have ANY chance of being true, the correct course of action (and in my view, the only acceptable course of action) is a temporary suspension.

Spun Silver

It's very hard to believe -- I was cheering him on as a skater not so long ago and then as a commentator, and he has always seemed so likable. I agree with @Louis. I also hope that if he turns out to be innocent that his reputation can be restored. This process is necessary but it's hard to see a skater in this position. And I do realize that the safety of vulnerable young skaters is paramount. It's just a stomach-churning situation.

skatfan

I suspect they have access to more details and made the decision on an interim suspension after determining that there was some substance to the accusations (which does not imply guilt). Some "innocent until proven guilty" people are kept in jail during their trial because the risk is too high. If the accusations against John Coughlin have ANY chance of being true, the correct course of action (and in my view, the only acceptable course of action) is a temporary suspension.

All this. And Safe Sport cannot, I'm assuming, share the details of the allegations with other organizations because of confidentiality needs. John Wilson made a quick (correct) call that at this time, Coughlin could not represent his brand given the situation. Coughlin understood and resigned. The US Figure Skating association - with the new level of restriction from Safe Sport - had to make this call.

skatfan

It's very hard to believe -- I was cheering him on as a skater not so long ago and then as a commentator, and he has always seemed so likable. I agree with @Louis. I also hope that if he turns out to be innocent that his reputation can be restored. This process is necessary but it's hard to see a skater in this position. And I do realize that the safety of vulnerable young skaters is paramount. It's just a stomach-churning situation.

Abusers often trade on their likability - Larry Nassar was considered a really nice guy for a very long time. Unfortunately, likability is no predictor of whether or not someone is an abuser.

Spun Silver

Abusers often trade on their likability - Larry Nassar was considered a really nice guy for a very long time. Unfortunately, likability is no predictor of whether or not someone is an abuser.
I am aware of that and the point has already been made in this thread, but it is still impossible (for me) not to br torn about a skater I've admired in this situation. I hope he's innocent. Not just *found* innocent but truly innocent. Hope you don't object to that.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
The way that survivors of abuse are treated in our culture and legal system is horrifying and, regardless of whether Coughlin committed abuse or not, quite a lot of comments in this thread and the previous one that got closed reflect some of the reasons why that's true.

skatfan

I am aware of that and the point has already been made in this thread, but it is still impossible (for me) not to br torn about a skater I've admired in this situation. I hope he's innocent. Not just *found* innocent but truly innocent. Hope you don't object to that.

Of course not, sorry if I misunderstood your post.

VGThuy

I hope you are joking. As much as I’d love to believe this stuff does not happen in skating, It is being reported that more victims have come forward.

Where is this being reported? I know skatfan wondered if more allegations came forward, but I hadn’t read anything that says that yet. Do you have a link?

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I believe that is exactly the way that the ISU committees work - individuals are there as representatives of their member federation. So I think that getting banned from USFS events would extend to ISU events as well.
Except that LeGogne wanted a position on the Technical Committee, because then she'd be ISU and not under Gailhaguet's thumb anymore.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
So Dave manages to get the word out that there are allegedly more complaints, while taking a passive-aggressive dig at Brennan by implying that she copied him. Nice.

I'll believe there are more complaints when a more reliable source verifies that.

The other possibility is that Safe Sport did more investigation of the original complaint, and decided it was substantiated enough to justify a stronger suspension while the investigation continues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information