Cheers for Deniss Vasiljevs!

antmanb

I have to say that I was so looking forward to seeing him this season and I'm a little disappointed with his programmes :shuffle:

The SP has Lambiel's stamp all over it, but unfortunately I just see Deniss trying to copy Stephane and coming up short. The LP is better, however for me, it really lacks that star power presentation that Deniss had last season. It could just be that it's early in the season, and he has had set backs because of the injury in the summer. I can see the LP getting there, but the SP is a miss for me :(

reut

I don't think it's possible to draw any conclusions based on what we saw at Rostelecom. He just got back his triples, it was his first senior Grand Prix, he obviously was very nervous. Stephane said Deniss "skated like a zombie" in Moscow. :) I was really charmed by Deniss last season, and in Moscow "it" just wasn't there. I think they simply need some more mileage, both Deniss and his programs.

aftershocks

Banned Member
I have to say that I was so looking forward to seeing him this season and I'm a little disappointed with his programmes :shuffle:

The SP has Lambiel's stamp all over it, but unfortunately I just see Deniss trying to copy Stephane and coming up short. The LP is better, however for me, it really lacks that star power presentation that Deniss had last season. It could just be that it's early in the season, and he has had set backs because of the injury in the summer. I can see the LP getting there, but the SP is a miss for me :(

ITA. When I first saw Deniss at Rostelecom Cup this season, I had to do a double-take. He looks so different. My God has he grown. He always had long legs, but with growing so much taller, his legs go on forever. I waited a bit before commenting about his new programs, but I was so not impressed with his sp this season on first viewing! I thought the Eurosport commentators were right about it the first time. But at NHK, Eurosport backtracked on their critiques of his sp. While Deniss performed his sp with more energy and enthusiasm at NHK, it's still a dud that simply does NOT work well for him at all.

After my first viewing of Voodoo Child, I wanted the curse to go away immediately. I was like, "Run Deniss! Go back to your last season's sp! Please!" :drama: Even the season before that, Deniss had a sp that is way more his style. This rock 'Voodoo' mess has no beginning, no middle, and no end. Deniss smiling like his usual self at NHK might have helped sell it better to judges, and completing his elements was a bonus, but this sp I wish would magically disappear in a hurry. As the Eurosport commentators said at RC, the music does NOTHING for Deniss. He is a great performer, but he can't handle this music. I mean very few skaters could interpret this cacophonous guitar music well. And seriously, why would anyone even want to try? It doesn't work for ice skating. If you want rock, there are so many better options to choose from.

I can definitely see Lambiel's influence on both programs, but the sp is a clear miss for Deniss I think, at any stage of his career. It's wonderful that Deniss admires Lambiel, but selecting him as a coach should not lead to Lambiel trying to remake Deniss into mini-me Lambiel. First of all, Deniss is so not anyone's mini-me at this point, as much as he's grown in less than a year! I do think that the fp Lambiel choreographed for Deniss has a lot of potential (and I see echoes of past Lambiel costumes in Deniss' fp costume design). Once again though, I think it is crucial for Deniss to be able to carve out his own identity as a skater. In fact, if Deniss wants to style himself after a former skater, I really think that his former coach, Alexei Urmanov's edgy elegance is way more suitable for Deniss patterning himself after in these early stages of his career.

Actually, in Deniss' former programs, we already saw a budding, unique Deniss V style emerging. Deniss' personality shone through much better in his former programs. I hope he does not lose direction and fail to forge his own unique path under Lambiel's tutelage. I thought it was fine when I heard that Deniss had switched to Lambiel as a coach. But now I tend to wonder why Deniss split with Urmanov. I would think, unless there were extenuating circumstances warranting the switch, that Deniss was doing fine under Urmanov, and that seeking out Lambiel as a choreographer while continuing to work with Urmanov might have been better. But, I guess we'll see how everything transpires.

Certainly in the current mens figure skating climate, Deniss will have to master a quad, or two or three, in order to make any headway to the top ten in the world. Deniss certainly looked and performed better at NHK. I think Deniss was probably the only male skater there who managed to stay on his feet in both of his programs during what was a startlingly messy competition. :duh: But it's like Deniss is essentially starting out all over in a new body. He's very rough around the edges right now, more-so than he was before his growth spurt. He's got a long way to go. I wish him well.

I kinda miss this Deniss: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fC3_1l-sYb8

And I hope we will see him again sometime soon in this new taller, lankier body. 'Voodoo Chile' Be gone!!! :slinkaway

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Wonderful for Deniss, sure, in that he stayed on his feet and completed all of his elements. It's still a program he's trying out for size and still exploring. I like that Deniss seems much more himself at NHK than he appeared at Rostelecom Cup. Despite all his smiling and exuding more energy at NHK in the sp, I truly wish he would dump it and go back to his last season's sp, if possible.

I mean I think Deniss' last season sp, along with his new fp would go over much better for him at Worlds. But, whatever.

lauravvv

I am really glad for Deniss. He skated the FS wonderfully. His final placement is good, but I think that his PCS should have been higher. But that's the way it is. He will have to deliver good performances like this consistently and increase his difficulty to get noticeably higher PCS.

Despite all his smiling and exuding more energy at NHK in the sp, I truly wish he would dump it and go back to his last season's sp, if possible.

I mean I think Deniss' last season sp, along with his new fp would go over much better for him at Worlds. But, whatever.
I agree that Deniss last season SP was really good - energetic and entertaning. But it was already similar to his previous SP. I personally like the current SP too, although it is "harder to get". I find it interesting how the music is much quieter towards the end, drawing attention to all his moves in that part (I remember that it was a major complaint about this program from some people who disliked that the music "peters out", instead of the standard scheme when the culmination in the music is in the second half of a program/towards the end).

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Whoa @lauravvv I guess to each their own! A thousand times Yuk! Who cares that Deniss' past two sps were in a similar vein. It is a vein that he should have continued to hone and explore IMHO! Because Deniss has always changed things up with fps that have gone in a very different direction from his sps.

Maybe as an idea and on paper, Stephane and Deniss thought this new sp would work. It DOESN'T!!! Huge dud. What is the reason for Deniss smiling so broadly with that sp music?! Just to try and give it more life and zip I suppose. Butt, that doesn't work for this Voodoo Child musical theme. It ain't Deniss' style. I do not care how cleanly he skated it at NHK. I will give Lamby credit for getting Deniss better prepared mentally to surmount the technical challenges of his programs at NHK. But I'm still not on board with the stylistic direction at this point. The fp shows some promise but it's not there yet. I disagree that Deniss deserved higher PCS for what he put out there at NHK. He did not! He received okay scores for what he did and for where he is right now. He's got to relearn what is clearly a new and different body.

If this Voodoo rock shite is gonna be Deniss' style then have him grow his hair longer. Put on some fake tatoos and a fake nose ring. Put on the angst, get into it more. The music is like a druggie, rock hipster Nightmare after all. And I'm telling youse, that ain't who Deniss Vasiljevs is! Not from what I've seen and heard from him in interviews. :duh:

I get that figure skating fans often like to make rationalizations and stick with status quo, and be kind to skaters they love, etc. etc. I do love Lamby a lot. But I do not wish to see Deniss trying to become another Lambiel. He can't because there's only one Lambiel. And Deniss is a fabulous, remarkable young figure skating athlete up-and-comer with his own uniqueness for which a cloak has been thrown over what makes him who he is. At least this season, Deniss' budding style seems a bit smothered at the moment.

I'll hold out hope for his fp. And I guess if he continues to manage to skate clean and get in all his elements, maybe he'll be satisfied. Right now, I'm on the fence.

ETA:
I rewatched both of Deniss' sp performances at RC and at NHK. My feelings are the same. Deniss seemed a bit more comfortable and sharper at NHK, and he was smiling more. But smiling broadly again is contradictory to the sp music theme. He fell on the opening 3-axel at RC, which didn't help that debut, but he went on to land his 3/3 and then he double-footed a solo triple. His patented trademark sit-spins are still boffo.

At NHK, Deniss landed his opening 3-axel, and he had more energy, yet he doubled the second jump in the planned triple combo. Despite skating with more energy and sharpness perhaps at NHK, Deniss was truthfully still unable to really express this music in a way that draws the audience in like we are drawn into his previous sps. His moves are just studied rather than coming from the inside out like we've seen from him previously. Bottom line, this Voodoo program does not help Deniss stand out from the pack. His previous sps did!

Last edited:

dinakt

Maybe as an idea and on paper, Stephane and Deniss thought this new sp would work. It DOESN'T!!! Huge dud. What is the reason for Deniss smiling so broadly with that sp music?! Just to try and give it more life and zip I suppose. Butt, that doesn't work for this Voodoo Child musical theme. It ain't Deniss' style...

Put on the angst, get into it more. The music is like a druggie, rock hipster Nightmare after all. And I'm telling youse, that ain't who Deniss Vasiljevs is! Not from what I've seen and heard from him in interviews. :duh:
At least this season, Deniss' budding style seems a bit smothered at the moment.

ETA:
I rewatched both of Deniss' sp performances at RC and at NHK. My feelings are the same. Deniss seemed a bit more comfortable and sharper at NHK, and he was smiling more. But smiling broadly again is contradictory to the sp music theme.
Deniss was truthfully still unable to really express this music in a way that draws the audience in like we are drawn into his previous sps. His moves are just studied rather than coming from the inside out like we've seen from him previously. Bottom line, this Voodoo program does not help Deniss stand out from the pack. His previous sps did!

??? Really?
The whole post assumes that you know who Deniss is. He is 17! He himself probably does not know who he is! Yes, he is a sunny boy in past interviews, but he is at the age when one wants to try everything, and everything constantly changes. If he does not dare to try different styles now, succeed and fail when he still has time, when can he? I, too, loved his SP last year. But Ye Gods, if we are lucky he can skate for many more years, and if in that time he only does what he already knows how to do, what a disappointment it is going to be.
He is truly artistically talented, experimenting goes with the territory.
I also bet both program will shine late in the season.

Seerek

There's also the consideration that Deniss has never had the opportunity to have 2 brand new programs for a season until now (since his novice days, he's always had a holdover program for 2 seasons, probably due to expenses).

Given Deniss' late start to the season relative to everyone else, I suspect Stephane is keeping this season's goals rather modest (i.e. securing a berth for Pyeongchang the top goal). Top 10 at Europeans should be doable as well (by my math on Season Best, Deniss would only have to beat one of Majorov/Besseghier/Hendrickx to make top 10).

Programs notwithstanding, the one immediate room for improvement in the short term might be transitions (got dinged badly in the long program, though it's understandable the team is still prioritizing clean, albeit safe, programs).

aftershocks

Banned Member
^^
Yes, it's quite lucky for Deniss as a new young talented up-and-comer, that he will regularly have the opportunity to attend the major senior events, hone his talent and become known by the international judges as he continues to develop further. That's a huge asset.

??? Really?
The whole post assumes that you know who Deniss is. He is 17! He himself probably does not know who he is! Yes, he is a sunny boy in past interviews, but he is at the age when one wants to try everything, and everything constantly changes. If he does not dare to try different styles now, succeed and fail when he still has time, when can he? I, too, loved his SP last year. But Ye Gods, if we are lucky he can skate for many more years, and if in that time he only does what he already knows how to do, what a disappointment it is going to be.
He is truly artistically talented, experimenting goes with the territory.
I also bet both program will shine late in the season.

I love Deniss, but I'm not that impressed with his new sp. No biggie. I spoke about my impressions in terms of his growth spurt (I also realize he's coming back from injury), plus the coaching switch and change to a new training environment. That's a lot to adjust to within less than a year. Deniss looked a lot more confident and upbeat at NHK, which bodes well. And quite clearly, skating programs tend to evolve over the course of a season. As I mentioned, Deniss looked stronger and more confident already at NHK.

Still, I don't think this sp works well for Deniss at all. Of course I don't know him personally. For all I know he likes this type of music. However, from past interviews he's given, I didn't get the impression when he spoke about his musical interests that this style of music was among his favorites. Perhaps, it is more influenced by Lambiel wanting to shepherd Deniss to explore something different as a challenge for him to move past a comfort zone. I like the fp and I think it has a lot of potential, as well as a lot of meaning and motivation for Deniss. Also, with his new growth spurt, as I said earlier, Deniss is relearning his technique and getting comfortable with his body. So yes, it's fine to try something different. But as I said, I don't think this particular music works well for a skating program, and Deniss does not have a good handle on it yet. He's certainly more energetic and exuberant, but even then that's not exactly what the musical theme is expressing. And as I said, Deniss is a true performer, so I think there are plenty of different directions to go in that could help him explore different sides of his personality aside from the show tune aspect he performed so brilliantly last season. For me, Voodoo Child could work, but the music makes it extremely difficult, and again I don't think it suits Deniss from what I've seen and heard from him in his short career.

Let's see if Deniss proves me wrong by season's end. :p And I'm talking full on audience-engaging musical interpretation. It's one thing to skate cleanly and get in all the choreographic moves, which is a fine achievement and the main thing Deniss is apparently going for at the moment. Quite another for him to be able to interpret this cacophonous guitar music with nuanced character and expressiveness. It would be hard for any skater. Maybe Michael Weiss or Ryan Bradley, but I think they'd at least pick better rock selections. To each their own.

zebraswan

What's with all the novel-length "creative writing exercise" posts? Are they really necessary just to say (over and over again) you don't like someone's SP? I'm sorry, but not everyone has time or the interest to read these self-indulgent wall of text posts on a forum.

Deniss just came out of juniors and just got over a serious injury, so I think people really need to adjust their expectations. There was already a big visible improvement between CoR and CoC. Most importantly, it's ridiculous to say he was wrong for going to Stephane because that was something HE wanted. Obviously something was missing for him training with Urmanov. You have to allow them enough time to produce results (and I think they are doing as well as can be expected, considering). You can never please everyone with a particular music selection, but I'm certain that they wouldn't have gone with this SP if Deniss didn't like it.

aftershocks

Banned Member
LOL, if this is "no biggie", what's the reaction when it is. :D
Absolutely support the post above from dinakt. :)

I'm not afraid to share my reactions, and no one else needs to agree. My 'no biggie' is in reference to the excitable defense of Deniss' sp choice simply because I had critical things to say which a few posters take exception to. I shared my reaction, and obviously I'm not the only fan who is not enamored of Deniss' new sp. Why take it as some kind of attack on Deniss and Stephane? As fans of Deniss and Stephane some of you are apparently outraged. I'm the Deniss Vasiljevs fan who started this thread, and I'm still a fan of Deniss, and of Stephane as well. But that doesn't mean I won't continue to share my reactions, positive and negative.

What's with all the novel-length "creative writing exercise" posts? Are they really necessary just to say (over and over again) you don't like someone's SP? I'm sorry, but not everyone has time or the interest to read these self-indulgent wall of text posts on a forum.

Deniss just came out of juniors and just got over a serious injury, so I think people really need to adjust their expectations. There was already a big visible improvement between CoR and CoC. Most importantly, it's ridiculous to say he was wrong for going to Stephane because that was something HE wanted. Obviously something was missing for him training with Urmanov. You have to allow them enough time to produce results (and I think they are doing as well as can be expected, considering). You can never please everyone with a particular music selection, but I'm certain that they wouldn't have gone with this SP if Deniss didn't like it.

@zebraswan, I make no excuses for my posts. You don't have to read them. I share how I feel and I try to express why I feel the way I do, which for me doesn't happen in soundbites. Obviously, it is not necessary for anyone to agree with me. There are other posters who apparently are also disappointed by Deniss' sp. You have just repeated a lot of what I already made reference to regarding Deniss being a young skater coming back from injury, adjusting to a growth spurt, and being in a new training environment. I don't base any of my comments on high expectations. I know that it takes time for most skaters to develop, and especially male skaters, particularly in the era of quads. I voiced my disappointment about the music and style of Deniss' new sp, which does not mean I'm holding him to unreasonable expectations in regard to his career. I'm happy for Deniss that he had more energy and enthusiasm at NHK, and he performed very well there.

I was not putting Stephane down, although apparently that is how some of my comments are being interpreted. I don't know anything in detail about Deniss' coaching relationship with either Urmanov or Lambiel. I only know what Deniss has previously shared in interviews. You can disagree with my first impressions take regarding the sp, and my questioning of why Deniss made the coaching switch. As I said, there could be any number of reasons. One of the reasons clearly is that the opportunity arose after Deniss met with Stephane for new choreography, and Stephane is one of Deniss' skating idols. Yes, this is just their first season together. And there is still every reason to feel positive going forward that this new coaching relationship may eventually breed dividends.

I still think Deniss, especially with his increased height and from what I have seen from him previously, is a skater who is more reminiscent of the edgy elegance of Alexei Urmanov. That's neither here nor there if Deniss felt he needed to make a coaching switch. It's important to feel happy and to communicate well with your coach, and to feel a special bond with your coach, and perhaps Deniss feels that more-so with Stephane. Young skaters are impressionable and still growing, so being in a good training environment is crucial.

And I still feel that the new sp is a miss for Deniss. Again, what's the big deal against me expressing my critical view? With a lot of time invested in the program, obviously they will continue on with it. As I said earlier, over the course of the season, let's see how it goes. This still doesn't negate my first impressions which Eurosport commentators (at least initially) and some other fans share. I guess my being vocal about it as a fan some here see as a no-no.

I'm also a fan of Adam Rippon, and I didn't like his new Bloodstream fp earlier in the season (the music did not work well), and I expressed the wish that he would develop his 'O' exhibition into a fp instead. Apparently, Adam received similar critiques from those he trusts, and he has mentioned that instead of holding onto 'O' for the Olympic season, he decided to use 'O' now and create a new fp, which fortunately works so much better for him. Max Aaron is in the process of working on a new sp. Jason Brown changed his initial sp over the summer. Ice dancers Weav/Po and Chock/Bates completely changed their sp and fp respectively last season. It is not unusual for skaters to come up with programs that miss the mark. Sometimes they soldier on with them out of necessity. Other times they make changes.

Deniss is certainly in a completely different situation as a young skater who is developing and trying to get his feet wet and gain experience. It's not necessary for him to scrap this Voodoo sp, but I do not think it's anathema for me to express a wish that he would. Particularly with his coming back from injury and with his growth spurt, why not keep his very successful last year's sp another season which would allow him the chance to focus his energies more on exploring and developing his very promising new fp? Deniss and Stephane can do whatever they please, and I wish them both well. While a couple of looks at and listens to Voodoo Child is enough for me, I still look forward to following Deniss' progress as a skater in the very difficult men's field.

Last edited:

aftershocks

Banned Member
Our article about Rostelecom, big chapter with comments from his coach. :)
http://absoluteskating.com/articles/2016rostelecom.html

And thanks for the Rostelecom Cup article with quotes from Stephane. It's nice to know that in fact it was Alexei Urmanov who suggested Deniss' new fp to Four Seasons (as Stephane mentions that Urmanov made the suggestion when Deniss was still working with Urmanov). Interesting how Stephane describes he decided to choose a different musical version of Four Seasons than the one he once skated to.

I also find it fascinating that Stephane admits Deniss skated the sp at RC "like a zombie," due to nerves. Stephane is clearly a sensitive and intelligent person (as can be seen in his TSL interview), and this allows him to eloquently breakdown his reactions to Deniss' RC sp performance and to the judging results. Stephane expresses his concerns about some of the judging assessments. Yep, it could be that the judges were overly harsh and that Deniss did not underrotate the lutz. A lot of times the judging panel gets too nitpicky on landings that look clean. When it's that close, the benefit of the doubt should go to the skater. I disagree with the excuse some make for the judges that they have to go with one camera angle on their review! :duh:

So true as Stephane says that he can work with Deniss on correcting the performance, but erroneous assessments by the judges are more troubling. It may be a bit of pr for Stephane to express his point of view, but I think it's a good thing that he put his thoughts out there to try and keep the judges honest going forward. Stephane also said: "We did exactly the same camel change as last season, and the features for this spin have not changed since and last season he always got level four."

Again, a good question to raise and to put out there publicly. However, Stephane should recognize that because Deniss lacked energy, confidence and enthusiasm during his sp performance at RC, that could possibly have affected the judges' overall perceptions and ultimately influenced the way they scored the performance. In addition, music selection is also a factor in how the judges perceive a performance. Clearly, Stephane worked with Deniss and thus the NHK sp performance was a big improvement in terms of confidence, energy and enthusiasm. The music choice however is what it is. That Deniss received level 4s on the exact same camel change last season could be because his overall performance was more commanding and engaging last season, not to mention the music was more crowd pleasing. Perhaps the judges didn't feel the camel change was executed with the same energy and command in the RC performance. Again, IMHO, the music choice is an important factor. Perhaps Deniss going out with more energy and attack helps, but I personally do not feel his new sp music does much to highlight Deniss' strengths. The choreography is interesting but the music and concept don't work well for me. It could be that some judges feel similarly.

Good that Stephane says Deniss likes the sp music and he seemed to be comfortable with it. He didn't look comfortable at RC. He did look more confident at NHK, but the music still has a disconnect. It's not a disaster for a program to not work out as well as initially expected. They can surely stick with it and allow Deniss to explore it further. I simply wish they had looked at some other sp music choices or stayed with last year's sp.

I love the way Stephane speaks about his understanding of Deniss' youth and the need to help guide him to learn and grow for his career and his life. I am hopeful about seeing their progress together, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for sp music next season that works better toward enhancing Deniss' unique gifts. I'm sure that's what was intended by selecting Voodoo Child. For me, it doesn't work, but I still love Deniss and Stephane. It's not necessary to choose audience appealing music as much as it is important to find music the skater can be challenged by and express well to the point where the audience is drawn in and moved by the performance.

Sylvia

TBD
Vasiljevs endearing himself to fans worldwide
17-year-old captivating audiences with immense talent, radiant personality

Posted 1/27/17 by Jean-Christophe Berlot, special to icenetwork
http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/01/27/214547266/vasiljevs-endearing-himself-to-fans-worldwide
Excerpt:
Actually, I believe skating is much more difficult than jumping, at least in my opinion. You have to feel the movement and understand how it works. It's hard to train. Designing a single step sequence requires that you work on a maximum curve, with a precise inclination of your body and at high speed. It will be much harder than learning a jump, I believe. Everybody focuses on jumps, but there is a lot more.
Since I've been practicing with Stéphane, I've been more curious about figure skating as a whole, and I've tried to work more on the little details. I've worked a lot on how to make steps and spins as perfect as possible. I'm glad it showed.

Berlot also interviewed Lambiel in Ostrava before Euros started: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/2017/01/24/214282678/lambiel-cherishes-time-on-other-side-of-boards

Jun Y

Vasiljevs has grown much taller than last year and he may be still growing. I'm a little worried that his jumps won't become stable until he stops growing. Happy to see he's still so charming with the audience. (I suspect Lambiel has intentionally put Deniss' hair into the choreography too.)

Last edited:

pinky166

#allaboutthevoids #teamtrainwreck
Vasiljevs has grown much taller than last year and he may be still growing. I'm a little worried that his jumps won't become stable until he stops growing. Happy to see he's still so charming with the audience. (I suspect Lambiel has intentionally put Deniss' hair into the choreography too.)

Deniss has grown a lot but he's still not that tall, maybe 5'7" or 5'8" these days and he also has a smallish body frame. I would not worry about him outgrowing the sport. It might be hard to add the quad to his arsenal until he stops growing but he's improving steadily and getting more consistent which is helping his scores and reputation in the meantime. If he can master a quad or two I think he could definitely be a major player for the 2022 Olympic cycle.

Laney

I love this boy :) Everything about his skating and his positiv personallity. I thought his jumps were great. We shouldn´t forget that he was injured and wasn´t able to jump the whole summer. So for this he was great. The quad will come, he has time to learn it. I think it´s good for the boys not to learn it too early. He´s 17, his body will still grow, better wait some time until your body can take this risk. I think Stephane will take care of him.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I saw Deniss skate at worlds last year and really enjoyed his skating. He is a natural performer. I look forward to his progress. When I first saw Lambiel skate (at the 2002 Olympics) he was Deniss's age (17) and I remember having similar thoughts about him at that time.

pinky166

The fact he was still only barely able to see over the boards at 14 gave enough of an indication that significant growth spurts were still to follow. It's actually a minor miracle that he hasn't had too severe of an issue with under-rotating in competition compared to other singles skaters having similar experiences in maturing.

Deniss is a very fast and powerful skater which I think has helped him a lot from a rotation standpoint as he's been growing the past few years.

Doing jumps with no speed is easier as a kid than as an adult. I feel like a lot of the skaters who struggle the most with puberty and growth spurts are the ones who stalk their jumps or are really slow overall. Not always the case, for sure, but I think having excellent basics has really served Deniss well. Apparently he started skating when he was 3!

reut

Two really nice interviews with Deniss in Latvian with translation to English provided by fans:

http://m.la.lv/vasiljevs-lambjels-ir-mans-sveices-tetis-superaukle/
Translation: http://www.goldenskate.com/forum/sh...siļjevs&p=1627046&viewfull=1#post1627046

http://sportacentrs.com/ziemas_sports/slidosana/05022017-deniss_vasiljevs_es_nevelos_but_atbalss_e
Translation: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1389042427773478/permalink/1448776451800075/

Deniss is now touring with "Art on Ice", he takes part in group numbers and has a collaboration number with his coach. They used parts of both "Four seasons" plus more, the idea behind the program, according to Steph, passing the energy and the creative power to younger generations.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpnarNGH9s0

At AOI (I think mostly during shows in Zurich) Stephane also started a small "tradition" of jumping quads in the finale. This time Elladj Baldé joined him, Deniss tried 3-3, but in last shows he also tried quads. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydZOaAdTzjU

Sylvia

TBD
Last edited:

pinky166

Great skate by Deniss this weekend! I definitely see improvements in his 3axel since last season! I hope the quads are coming too because that's the final thing he needs before he can really hang with the big boys!

Speaking of which he is handling his growth really well. I noticed at Art on Ice his is taller than Stephane now and I was surprised to see during the Tyrol medal ceremony that he's a couple inches taller than Bychenko and about the same height as Samohin now. His long legs give him such a good line on the ice!

Best of luck at Worlds Deniss!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information