Chantastic....the return of Patrick

RoseAugust

I could be wrong, but I think one of the difficult things about the short program is that it's clearly a "show performance" type thing. He's having to focus on that a well as the elements.

Spun Silver

I could be wrong, but I think one of the difficult things about the short program is that it's clearly a "show performance" type thing. He's having to focus on that a well as the elements.
I think the short program is a kind of albatross for him. The theme of it - "Macky's back in town" - is so cocky. To carry it off, he needs to be slaying the competition whereas instead he is struggling to keep up. He mentioned the theme of the SP as something that added pressure in an interview (if I can find it again, I will link it). He has enough pressure without that. Even though I love the program, I think he would do better to change it.

VarBar

I really didn't expect Patrick to skate so well in the long program after the SP disaster that placed him by 13 points or so behind his weakest rival. His FS performance was the art of skating in its highest form. To quote a Russian commentator: "Bravo Maestro."(y)

Spun Silver

He mentioned the theme of the SP as something that added pressure in an interview (if I can find it again, I will link it).
It was in the IFS magazine interview linked on the previous page of this thread.
So I got off the ice and I was pretty upset with how I skated because that not’s the way I imagined it, of course. It never is the way you imagine it at home. You always want to have a good skate and that’s a great song. It’s “Mack is back in town” so I really wanted to be back and I really wanted to start strong on the right step. That night I kind of really had to put it behind me and know that the next day I could start fresh, but yet I was still uneasy going into the long program. I didn’t feel comfortable. I felt emotionally uneasy.
http://www.ifsmagazine.com/articles/32817-patrick-chan-rediscovering-his-rhythm

IceAlisa

discriminating and persnickety ballet aficionado
So TAT made an interesting comment during Patrick's FS. She think that he needs more rest time between his 3A and the 3T that we assume is a place holder for the 4T. Because the 3A is such a challenging jump for him, he needs to have more steps in between, before he approaches the 4T. She called it a design or composition error.

She genuinely loves his skating and was rooting for him like crazy! :cheer2: She called him an ornament of figure skating, an artist, someone with the most fantastic control of the blade, and thanked him for landing his stuff. Also stood up for him for messing up the SP, he is not a machine, he is human, etc. So I feel that this comment was made from the heart but also from her tremendous coaching experience. Hope team Chan is listening (reading).:TT1:

Coco

Rotating while Russian!
Apparently he had a rough warmup there and didn't skate? Does anyone know how he's doing?

Sylvia

TBD
Patrick's media teleconference call today is summarized here: https://www.facebook.com/figureskat...78550292537/10154457492472538/?type=3&theater
He said that for the first time in a long time he is raising the technical content in his free program. He has added a second triple Axel to the second half of the routine.
On not being able to skate at the Detroit send-off last week: "In the warm-up I went into my quad and then did a step out and I hyperextended my knee. My patella tendon was already irritated. I had physio look at it — I am sure I will be 100% when I get to nationals."

Last edited:

luckiest1

Hello from Halifax!

Patrick had two practice sessions today, one at the secondary rink early this morning (which I wasn't able to attend) and then the one from the main rink that was streamed. The guys could choose to skate either their short or long program, and most chose to skate their longs. After his program run through, Patrick worked on his triple axels for a while (he rotated and landed all of them, he was just working on the landings, trying to get them cleaner). He also worked on quads and then started doing some of the choreography from his short program (without his music playing, obviously). I'd say he had fairly good practice but he was frustrated that all the landings weren't clean. We were surprised to see choreographer David Wilson at the boards with Kathy.

I had a nice day today, watching all the practices, then my group went over to Dartmouth for dinner and took the ferry back to Halifax afterwards. I'm looking forward to the competitions tomorrow!

bbkenn

Hello from Halifax!

Patrick had two practice sessions today, one at the secondary rink early this morning (which I wasn't able to attend) and then the one from the main rink that was streamed. The guys could choose to skate either their short or long program, and most chose to skate their longs. After his program run through, Patrick worked on his triple axels for a while (he rotated and landed all of them, he was just working on the landings, trying to get them cleaner). He also worked on quads and then started doing some of the choreography from his short program (without his music playing, obviously). I'd say he had fairly good practice but he was frustrated that all the landings weren't clean. We were surprised to see choreographer David Wilson at the boards with Kathy.

I had a nice day today, watching all the practices, then my group went over to Dartmouth for dinner and took the ferry back to Halifax afterwards. I'm looking forward to the competitions tomorrow!

Thanks so much for reporting back to us. Go Patrick!!! That's interesting about David Wilson!

luckiest1

OMG OMG OMG what a night! I doubt I will have a voice when I wake up tomorrow. I screamed so much tonight. So so happy for Patrick to lay it down like he did after what I can only describe as a very frustrating practice session this afternoon. You would never know the way he skated tonight. I sincerely hope this helps his confidence and convinces him that he can and should stay in until Olympics. I am so glad that I was here to see it in person. Looking forward to tomorrow!

screech

Great skate. Very cautious though. If he lands his jumps like that, but skates with more attack and finesse, he could be scoring big like that internationally. Loved seeing his smile break through after the 3A.

Debrah

Screech - were you watching the same performance as I was? What exactly lacked finesse, or was cautious? Chan's blinding speed across the ice was amazing, his edge quality superb, his flow, the height and distance of all jumps great, check, check, check, indeed all landings very secure! Plus all the little subtle nuances that reflected his musicality, effortless performance quality, pretty much everything was quite sublime in that performance...

screech

Yes he had his speed, and quality, but he didn't have his attack. I thought that until the 3A was landed, he was skating like he was nervous - scared of yet another bombed SP. He normally goes into everything guns blazing. It seemed to me that he held back quite a bit on that aspect of it, wanting to be clean (understandably), and approaching things more subdued than usual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information