Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

barbarafan

Agree. The more I think about it, the angrier I become. It’s no wonder that C/P looked to be stagnating for years. But also agree that this is an opportunity to rebuild everything. It all comes down to whether IAMO is willing to withstand the pressure/criticisms of not rocketing up the standings right away and stay focused on building the foundation that will eventually get them there.
IAMO work together with IAM & skaters pop in and out here and there. They do not look at how their skating is but as how it can be according to their talents and personality. Then they rebuild piece by piece. Just because Anthony can now use and work the ankle does not mean it is now perfect. It prob. is a work in process with lots of off-ice to rebuild it. Scott's partnering is flawless and there is always Patrice the ultimate partner to consult with. Scott's partnering and twizzles zoomed up the ladder under Patrice.

litenkyckling

If anyone needs a watch (or rewatch) of this free dance, here's one:

I think I liked it even more on second watch. So excited to see how this grows through the season!
I'll be honest, I've rewatched this a couple of times already. Such an excellent vehicle for them and I can't wait to see them grow into it as the season goes on. A highlight for me is the end of the diagonal steps when they're in hold - kind of has a feeling of some of the transitional steps in V/M's 2013/14 SD (which is an all time personal favourite). One thing I missed on first watch though is that while he's clearly still working on his skating, Anthony's expression was great. I think he has a tendency to smile to the judges but here he seems to keep character the whole time. I think he'll look like a different skater this time next year.

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
One important thing to remember is this was their first time out. Basically everyone else has had time for feedback and changes. It will be interesting to see what adjustments they make. They have a great base to start with here, and I hope to see those scores going up.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
I've rewatched it at least twice already and I'm just in awe at how much they've improved. One thing that I think is a bit off-putting is Anthony's costume. I haven't quite been able to pinpoint what the problem(s) with it is - the fit and cut of the jacket isn't quite right, and I'm not entirely sold on the loose, white v-necked shirt underneath. I'd almost go with a sheer black mock-turtleneck under a more fitted suit jacket for him, to match Christina's look.

Ena Grins

Carreira/Ponomorenko have never done much for me historically (and I'm admittedly a Green/Parsons fan) but I agree with everyone here on the improvements they've made and how strong their FD is this year! I looooved the opening lift and may want to know Christina's ab workout, because the core strength required for that dismount is :eek: It'll be fun to see this program involve by Nationals and maybe beyond.

Rukia

Carreira/Ponomorenko have never done much for me historically (and I'm admittedly a Green/Parsons fan) but I agree with everyone here on the improvements they've made and how strong their FD is this year! I looooved the opening lift and may want to know Christina's ab workout, because the core strength required for that dismount is :eek: It'll be fun to see this program involve by Nationals and maybe beyond.
My secret is that I love C/P and G/P and just want them all to skate amazing haha. They could have a really fun rivalry and we'd all benefit from it.

That wasn't really a secret but anyway...

Karen-W

My secret is that I love C/P and G/P and just want them all to skate amazing haha. They could have a really fun rivalry and we'd all benefit from it.

That wasn't really a secret but anyway...
Eh, my secret is that GrePar have never done much for me, though I really did come to love their FD last season. I'm sad that their programs this season aren't as good, but, hopefully, this is just a result of the coaching change and we'll be in for a really fun rivalry over the next 3.5 seasons.

litenkyckling

I know lots of people love Chock and Bates and all power to them for competing for so many years... but I'm so ready for that spot to be vacated. Both C/P and Gr/P are deserving of a spot on the world team (in my opinion) and US nationals is kind of the worst because you know one of them will be disappointed - AGAIN. I also think both teams could benefit from being on the world team - I think partly why LaLa have been able to grow both confidence and momentum is because they managed to grab that final Canadian spot and gain experience so early on in their senior career.

Karen-W

I know lots of people love Chock and Bates and all power to them for competing for so many years... but I'm so ready for that spot to be vacated. Both C/P and Gr/P are deserving of a spot on the world team (in my opinion) and US nationals is kind of the worst because you know one of them will be disappointed - AGAIN. I also think both teams could benefit from being on the world team - I think partly why LaLa have been able to grow both confidence and momentum is because they managed to grab that final Canadian spot and gain experience so early on in their senior career.
Yes, absolutely.

I'm secretly hoping that Chock/Bates decide to pass on competing at 4CCs and we get to see both of them, as well as HawBak, in Colorado Springs in February. Both teams really deserve to earn more ISU Championships points for WS.

CassAgain

I think both programs are excellent this season. Love that Scott Moir chose the curve lift that is very similar to a lift Davis and White's Scherezade. At the time, the hard core Davis and White haters thought that lift was basic and over scored. (It wasn't then or now.)

litenkyckling

I think both programs are excellent this season. Love that Scott Moir chose the curve lift that is very similar to a lift Davis and White's Scherezade. At the time, the hard core Davis and White haters thought that lift was basic and over scored. (It wasn't then or now.)
perhaps because we are now in an age where sitting on the lifting partners lap can still get you a level 4!! I could be wrong, but I think that 5/6 teams that will be at GPF historically have pretty strong and difficult lifts so my prediction is that this quad we'll see more pushing for challenging lifts across the board than we've seen in more recent years.

Sylvia

TBD
Re-posting from the U.S. Ice Dance news thread... Fan Zone article on Christina & Anthony by @clairecloutier (Nov. 21):
Excerpt:
"Marie-France's vision was New York City, in three different eras," Ponomarenko said. "The beginning is the modern era. Then we go into 'Summertime,' which is the main theme. It's the 1950s [time frame] – a little bit older style, with different movements and expression. Toward the end, we go into the orchestrated version of the piece. That's where we show the 1920s/30s era. So, we have three significant pieces, all [with] a change of character."
Carreira and Ponomarenko said they enjoy working with new coaches Hubbell and Diaz.
"I love having Madison, because having a female coach is always good for the girl (female partner)," Carreira said.
Ponomarenko lives near their rink in London, while Carreira resides in Michigan to maintain permanent residency in the United States. She has her green card and expects to get U.S. citizenship before the 2026 Olympic Winter Games. Carreira and Ponomarenko both coach part time at Lakeland Arena, near Detroit.
Madison Hubbell is with Christina & Anthony in this Espoo practice photo: https://twitter.com/_sono__2000/status/1595857444571340800

Rukia

Ok time to focus on good things: they improved their score from their last GP. I think this program is definitely growing. It's just so intricate and beautiful.

Not the result I wanted. Scott or Madi pls pls get out there with a stopwatch and drill that lift until they can avoid that extended lift deduction.

litenkyckling

I stand by my view that they were underscored here relative to the rest of the field… but glad to see they were able to grow the scores across both programmes with lower levels than Sheffield. As I said in the other thread, such a shame this will probably only be performed a couple more times.

chameleonster

I still think they have a shot, their scores improved with lower levels and a somewhat more cautious FD and the home ice scoring. Something that's very important for them this season is to reassure the judges of their consistency, after such a messy season I think their scoring is more guarded although still a huge improvement. But they've laid down two clean comps and I wasn't even praying for Anthony to hold on to his twizzles, whens the last time that happened. They skate clean again at Golden Spin with huge scores and can show up to Nationals much more trained and prepared, and it's not like G/P's scores last week were wildly out of reach. Scott needs to borrow Barbara's stopwatch, but I still have hope that they will get to bring these amazing programs to Worlds.

Karen-W

I said it over in the US Ice Dance thread, but it's very clearly a battle for bronze/pewter at this point between CarPon and GreenP. I hold out a bit of hope that the USFS might decide to split the Worlds/4CCs assignments between the two teams and ensure that each get ISU Championship points out of the 2nd half of the season. I don't think Nationals is the last time we'll see these great programs from CarPon. They've assertively reestablished themselves above several teams they finished behind at Nats last year.

Rukia

If they can continue to get their scores to go up at Golden Spin, that will be very very good for them. But also I want to talk to the judges about the lack of GOE on that first lift. I mean the timing! The legs! Christina's amazing core strength as she slowly goes down! It's fire and deserves to be treated as such.

litenkyckling

With it being so tight, I wonder if they should scrap the combo lift and replace it with 2 seperate ones instead. I think a really pretty stationary lift (the position they had in the flamemco FD combo comes to mind) would maybe make a more impactful ending anyway. The assisted jumps are their lowest GOE choreo element of the 3. Keep the curve as it is but with a new exit, then into choreo assisted jumps/another choreo element and end on a stationary lift.

After the last couple of seasons their rotational lifts make me nervous as I can't remember the last time they didn't get an extended lift deduction at a competition. Nationals could be super tight, and so I'd personally just elimate that risk now.

As as aside, I think they could pull off a similar lift to the one that Madi and Zach used a lot - most recently in the RD last year. With Christina seemingly having so much more core strength on display I think we'll see some great new lifts from them in future seasons.

chameleonster

I think the rotational lifts seem to have been one of the things Anthony's ankle injury affected the most, their rotational lifts used to be fine. I agree with splitting the combo lift, the straightline lift with Anthony shifting to one foot to the music is already great on its own, not having to stress as much about the time limit will be a big weight off their minds. The stationary lift flamenco lift could be good, you're right! Or even an easier placeholder, just something they can get the rotations on in time for Nationals, and then hopefully get the bronze and can rework their lifts properly. Even if the rotations start getting faster in practice I still might hold off on it. The combo lift is very good, but not so good it's worth the deduction, they'll need every last point to get past Green/Parsons. Assisted jumps really aren't my favorite choreographic element, but they might not want to have another lift in there, and I'm just happy they're hitting their actual twizzles, so assisted jumps it is.

Looking ahead to Golden Spin, they should probably change the lift now, because Reed/Ambrulevicius put up strong scores at NHK and came close to beating G/Pa(ironically enough, without the lift deduction they'd be 0.12 apart). A big score at Golden Spin and a decisive win with another clean set of skates and things will be looking good for Nationals.

muffinplus

If they can continue to get their scores to go up at Golden Spin, that will be very very good for them. But also I want to talk to the judges about the lack of GOE on that first lift. I mean the timing! The legs! Christina's amazing core strength as she slowly goes down! It's fire and deserves to be treated as such.
the French judge really likes them, check the GOE she gave them vs everyone else. It's also a joke that that their choreo step sequence GOE is only like +1.0.. it's one of the best choreographic step sequences this season

Last edited:

~tapdancer~

Knees won't let me tap dance anymore
So happy for them!! My kingdom for a video, too! I did see Z/K on instagram, they were wonderful as well!

litenkyckling

Thrilled! If this is just a season for rebuilding their reputation and confidence then they have definitely achieved it! They've grown their score from event to event and with 6 weeks until Nationals things are looking so much better than last year. That pesky extended lift strikes again though - I imagine that will be their biggest fix before nationals.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information