Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

sap5

I think it's a great RD for them this season. Challenges them and the right year to experiment. This team is not going to be in the top 3 at US Nationals based on her citizenship issues with this being an Olympic year so I see this as a great way to learn new things, build skills and change their image.
Why would citizenship issues affect their placement at US Nationals?

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
I think it's a great RD for them this season. Challenges them and the right year to experiment. This team is not going to be in the top 3 at US Nationals based on her citizenship issues with this being an Olympic year so I see this as a great way to learn new things, build skills and change their image.
I totally agree. I kind of wish they had done something really out there for their FD too. I mean, they have the least to lose this season.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Because I don't think they will place them about Hawayek/Baker who are the #3 team right now. Just the way I see the various Nationals in an Olympic year.

Rukia

Yeah the US will want H/B to get the 3rd place and not have a "oh they wouldn't have come if not for Christina's citizenship" line while at the Olympics. Which is fine. I'm sure C/P and team know what to expect.

sap5

I hope Nationals judges place teams where they belong, and not let citizenship issues affect get in the way. That being said, I think C/P have a lot of work to do before they can get on the podium.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

It would impact them in the subjective areas of ice dance, because there's no real incentive for the judges to boost them over Hawayek & Baker if they aren't going to be able to go to the Olympics anyway; that'd just be undermining the third team going.

barbarafan

69? Wow the judges really lowballed them. Was it that bad? I can't find the rd 😐
well..there are no us or cdn judges but pretty well all the other country's team had a judge....PCS's looked pretty low and Goe's..I looked at the base values in the judges scores & decided to rate them that way. You can't diddle the marks so much. Especially if there are any mistakes no matter how tiny.

Lara111

I did not see confidence in Anthony's skating. He was a bit lost which is unusual for him. I think Christina was more confident. I did not like the program at all, even though I liked some interesting elements. There is a lot of room for improvement so there is hope for better performance later in the season.

barbarafan

I did not see confidence in Anthony's skating. He was a bit lost which is unusual for him. I think Christina was more confident. I did not like the program at all, even though I liked some interesting elements. There is a lot of room for improvement so there is hope for better performance later in the season.
Well.....I think once it has some mileage some of the moves will be crisper and sharper and it does seem to accentuate the females movements....at this time. I recognized a few of Tessa's movements which we only saw later in the season on their return to competition and Christina has some work to do as well but Ice Academy works with getting the moves in with speed power and the feelings and then one by one the n's become y's, they gain levels and often moves are added in which would not have fit in at the beginning of the season..I am looking forward to seeing it again next competition. Do you know when that will be?

Rukia

Well.....I think once it has some mileage some of the moves will be crisper and sharper and it does seem to accentuate the females movements....at this time. I recognized a few of Tessa's movements which we only saw later in the season on their return to competition and Christina has some work to do as well but Ice Academy works with getting the moves in with speed power and the feelings and then one by one the n's become y's, they gain levels and often moves are added in which would not have fit in at the beginning of the season..I am looking forward to seeing it again next competition. Do you know when that will be?
They're scheduled for Finlandia on Oct 7-10 next

hlp728

They and their team should go watch Prince’s music video for inspiration if they haven’t already along with the movie. Is she supposed to be Catwoman? It confused me because the first Batman movie with Prince’s music doesn’t have Catwoman but does have Vicki Vale. I think it would be fun if she was the Joker to his Batman.

Rukia

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
USFSA posted an article about these two in preparation for Skate Canada this weekend:

Christina Carreira and Anthony Ponomarenko Enter Skate Canada with New Perspective

They keep emphasizing how much they love their new training environment and how they feel healthy and strong. Makes me wonder about what led up to the change.

Anyway fingers crossed that they do well and get their levels.

The answer is probably in what they like about training and competing with I.AM. ;)
If you mention all the things you love about a place I think it's fair to assume the other place lacked those things.

I also don't think Igor saw C/P as a team with potential in that I recall an an interview a while back where he was asked about D/W and V/M. In the course of that he raved about Avonley/Vadim as the next great thing. I did wonder at the time if C/P saw that interview how it made them feel as at the time one would think you'd be pushing C/P as they were new to Senior.

I don't remember where or who did the interview. Just that it struck me at the time because I thought "ouch" for C/P.

litenkyckling

The answer is probably in what they like about training and competing with I.AM. ;)
If you mention all the things you love about a place I think it's fair to assume the other place lacked those things.

I also don't think Igor saw C/P as a team with potential in that I recall an an interview a while back where he was asked about D/W and V/M. In the course of that he raved about Avonley/Vadim as the next great thing. I did wonder at the time if C/P saw that interview how it made them feel as at the time one would think you'd be pushing C/P as they were new to Senior.

I don't remember where or who did the interview. Just that it struck me at the time because I thought "ouch" for C/P.
I remember that interview and thinking at the time that it was a bit of a slap in the face (when he could've just been publicly supportive of them). I think it was with TSL?

They definitely sound much healthier here - and seem to be seeing the big picture future wise. This season was always going to be tough with them being ineligible for the Olympic team in a deep field - politically they are in a really weak position so it makes sense to use that time to have the rocky coaching move year. Excited to see where they grow after this season.

I also think that Igor seemed to get them to a high level early on and then their scores wouldn't improve all year but IAM seem to be more comfortable with growing throughout the season.

I definitely don't get a good feeling from Igor - his teams always look so tense in competition.

sap5

Love the healthy perspective C/P have on themselves, their career, and the sport in general. After reading about so much toxicity in the world of skating recently, it's great to see that some coaching environments are very healthy and hopefully creating skaters that won't leave the sport as damaged people they finally retire.

litenkyckling

Happy Birthday to Christina!

They seem to be having a vacay lately. Anthony was in Colorado for a bit, and Christina posted an insta story from some sort of film set it looked like? Here's to hoping they are feeling refreshed and ready to start nailing down some new programs in the near future (if we ever find out the rd pattern anyway)!
I’ve seen chatter that he’s there for surgery on his ankle/foot so hopefully he’s on the mend and back to his usual skating skills next season!

Rukia

Finally we have proof that these two are actually on the ice hahaha

If you can't get the Insta link to work, it's a picture of them in Montreal with Marie-France, Sam Chouinard, and Madison Hubble. Christina captioned it as the "dream team."

Side note, but it looks like Christina is in Edeas now? I will resist from posting my hatred of Edeas haha, but that's certainly new.

Anyway please give us a music drop sometime. I'm super interested in what they'll be doing this season.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information