Carreira/Ponomarenko Need a Cheer Thread

arakwafan2006

I don't think that they improved their skating as much as I believe that the choreography showcases the skill better. Igor did not all of a sudden become a bad coach. Igor, needed Marina! Igor is akin to a great architect that is a terrible interior designer. Marina's choreography could be compared to really great design. If it's a Tango, chose Igor. Otherwise, his technique which is still good, is showcased poorly. I have questions about how involved Pasquale was given the material did not look as beautiful and light as what i have seen in the past.

I really hope that Igor does not fizzle out more than he has but he seems resolved to do so. That said, Christina and Anthony do look much better. I don't think it's that they GOT better that fast as much as the choreography is better... same story with Chock and Bates, though now that they've been in Montreal for a while, they HAVE improved... it's still dicey skating that relies on choreography to showcase their strengths....

Bottom line, i like what i see :)

sap5

There is barely any choreography in that clip? It’s just basic hand in hand, side by side skating with some twizzles. I thought the point of that clip was to show their improvement in basic skating skills. They have a ways to go, but I can certainly see the improvement.

ETA: I expect that their FD this season may be largely empty choreographically, so that they can spend their time improving their stroke, elements, speed, and power. Looking forward to more complex choreography post-Olympics.

litenkyckling

They both just shared a picture on their Instagram stories with Scott and Tessa - I guess she's been doing some work with them this week which is interesting

*Christina just tweeted that this was a "Friday surprise from Scott" - it's so great to see them in a coaching environment that clearly makes them happy! I think boosting Christina's confidence may be part of the puzzle that has been missing the last couple of seasons.

Last edited:

litenkyckling

Their music choices are up on their ISU page - not sure if this is how they wanted to announce them but hey ho:

RD: Batdance by Prince
FD: Wicked Game by Chris Isaak

Personally, I think these could be good choices for them. Batdance isn't Prince like VM Prince so I don't think it warrants any comparison - they're a team that I think can sell a fun programme like this, given the chance. FD wise - it's nice to see them have a more mature theme that will hopefully help build their chemistry together. Looking forward to seeing these debut(?) at Lombardia

Rukia

A Southern, hot-blooded temperamental individual
Ok I adore the choice of Batdance, because that song is so random (and it seems like it'd be a beast to edit), and people are either going to love it or hate it, which is what you need in ice dance. Wicked Game seems closer to their wheelhouse, but that's also good. Either why I'm dying to see these.

Bigbird

I like how in the spin, the second position is slower to fill the pause between the singing. Downside is that it's a difficult position to keep centered.
Like I've seen this all before. The same mood everything. Meh.

Bigbird

After a Batdance RD, this is exactly the contrasting mood I’d want to see.
I understand where you're coming from but it's like there is one mold that ice dancers are encouraged to take and I've got to say it's getting rather stale.

Free the ice dance or simply stop calling it a sport. The other three disciplines are more interesting, exciting and objective.

litenkyckling

I understand where you're coming from but it's like there is one mold that ice dancers are encouraged to take and I've got to say it's getting rather stale.

Free the ice dance or simply stop calling it a sport. The other three disciplines are more interesting, exciting and objective.
hey if you don't like it you don't have to watch it 🤷‍♀️

Doggygirl

Banned Member
Ok I adore the choice of Batdance, because that song is so random (and it seems like it'd be a beast to edit), and people are either going to love it or hate it, which is what you need in ice dance. Wicked Game seems closer to their wheelhouse, but that's also good. Either why I'm dying to see these.
:respec:

And if the lyric "This town needs an enema" is included in said music edits, I will uber this team FOREVER! :lol: I can't wait for this program! :rockstar:

Rukia

they had a higher BV than both F-B/S and H/K - even without the deduction I think they were underscored here
I think their PCS reflected the skating order. They have a lot of room for improvement if they get their levels though. I'm very interested to see how the program progresses through the season.

litenkyckling

I think their PCS reflected the skating order. They have a lot of room for improvement if they get their levels though. I'm very interested to see how the program progresses through the season.
totally agree - I think the levels will come though - first competition in a year, new coaching environment, a new team at competitions - this will all have had an impact today. Perhaps their best twizzles ever though?

Colonel Green

I think they need to make the costumes a bit more obvious (especially Anthony's, though Christina could maybe use some cat ears). "Batdance" hasn't really endured in the cultural memory, so I'm not sure most of the audience will get who they're performing as.

Rukia

totally agree - I think the levels will come though - first competition in a year, new coaching environment, a new team at competitions - this will all have had an impact today. Perhaps their best twizzles ever though?
I was prepared to cringe during the twizzles like usual and was shocked with how smooth they were?

I think they need to make the costumes a bit more obvious (especially Anthony's, though Christina could maybe use some cat ears). "Batdance" hasn't really endured in the cultural memory, so I'm not sure most of the audience will get who they're performing as.
Definitely agree about the costumes. I think Christina's is good, but get the girl some cat ears. Anthony's needs to be more on the nose. Or bat. Whatever.

angi

I think it was the most confident I've ever seen them on the ice, and with a program that is so theatrical, I worried they will struggle to interpret the feel of the music but they really surprised me with how in control they looked. The blues pattern looked pretty good for this early in the season and for a young team and I think it was their best twizzles evet by far.

litenkyckling

so many people online seem to absolutely hate them - really don't understand why? They're so young and it's SEPTEMBER give these kids a chance to breath and improve and grow into things. They do appear to get more negativity thrown at them online than other team of their age and experience.

Bigbird

so many people online seem to absolutely hate them - really don't understand why? They're so young and it's SEPTEMBER give these kids a chance to breath and improve and grow into things. They do appear to get more negativity thrown at them online than other team of their age and experience.
The program is just too brash, has no highs and lows. Can't put a finger on it. Obviously the basic skating has improved but was this the program to show that off? I don't know.

I want to like them. I liked them when they first arrived on the scene. I wanted to like them. I hope the FD is much better.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
I have usually found her quite bland but today I noticed her more than him. You can really see the work they are putting in to make changes. I could see some obvious influences in that skate and it didn't make me cringe which I take as a positive.

I think it's a great RD for them this season. Challenges them and the right year to experiment. This team is not going to be in the top 3 at US Nationals based on her citizenship issues with this being an Olympic year so I see this as a great way to learn new things, build skills and change their image.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information