Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarafan

This must be such a satisfying competition for him after the crushing disappointment in Richmond.

Now he just needs to learn not to be terrified of interviewers.
ummmm.....they are asking for 10 yr plans and he is thinking." What just happened"...way to stay in the moment

screech

Not the skate that Keegan wanted, but good for him for doing the quad lutz (hand down). IIRC that's the first time he's 'landed' one in competition, right?
And that fall on the 3A...yikes! I chuckled and said he fell in character as Chaplin for that one... Ouch!!
He got 156.49 in the FP, a total of 236.05, and finished in 5th place.

Last edited:

Colonel Green

IIRC that's the first time he's 'landed' one in competition, right?
Yes, that's the best he's managed so far. I was happy for that, and also that it seemed like the spark in his performance was back tonight, even though he didn't skate at his very best. Hope this carries forward, after the funk he seemed to be in of late.

His spins are just blindingly fast.

screech

I had a feeling he was going to 'go for it' tonight with the lutz, since he had absolutely nothing to lose.
Also, he's the only one of the men who did not get a single < in his FP, so that's something too! (though he did get a * for too many double toes because of his popped quad)

dramagrrl

I really hope Gogo doesn't place any higher than fourth (or maayyybe third) at Canadians. (Not because I don't like him, but because I do and want all the hype to stay away from him as long as possible.) I also hope Rod Black does not curse him by declaring him "The Next One". :p

skatingguy

decently
I really hope Gogo doesn't place any higher than fourth (or maayyybe third) at Canadians. (Not because I don't like him, but because I do and want all the hype to stay away from him as long as possible.) I also hope Rod Black does not curse him by declaring him "The Next One". :p
It's way too late to prevent that. It would be best if, like his predecessors, he accepts the position and embraces the responsibility. Pressure is a privilege is cliche, but it is also true.

barbarafan

I haven't been able to understand more than two words of the interviews via the Jumbotron, but, seriously? 10 years is about twice his lifespan where he has any memories.

Ha Ha..I was not exact...she did not say 10 yrs....but she was asking things - what you did wrong...what is your plan to fix it...what is your next goals...and then what he was feeling at certain times...like after fall on opening jump..so he said..the plan going in was element by element and if he made a mistake to put it out of his mind as if it never happened and go on..so she asked what he did after it happened and he said...I put it out of my mind as if it never happened and went on.
Her first question was how did it feel winning your first GP final. He said it was unbelievable and he hadn't absorbed it yet but she went on with all these other questions. He looked shell shocked and apparently he is very shy and completely stays away from media etc. and works hard and is very focused... After all he was a substitute and was well into practicing a different format of his programs as he is competing as a Senior at Nationals so he had to half change it back...He did an amazing job and hopefully his nationals will go well so he goes to Junior Worlds.

puglover

As I recall, Joannie Rochette usually had Mannon with her for interviews. I think that is a good idea. Eventually I guess the skaters themselves get enough PR training that they can handle it on their own but sometimes the "What Went Wrong" questions are harsh when they have hardly had a chance to catch their breath. I really enjoy pairs/dance teams interviews as they look to each other so much in deciding who will answer. I wish my husband would look to me more before some of his answers.

screech

While watching the men (and pairs) CBC live stream yesterday, I was iffy on Dylan Moscovitch as commentator. He's got a good voice, and he knows his stuff, but sometimes he spoke way too quietly that I couldn't make out a thing he was saying.
I do really like that different people are getting the opportunity to try out commentary at this event. Keep it up, CBC!

IloveFS

I am not worried about the depth of men's skating in Canada any longer.

However, I am not sure there is any depth in pairs skating in Canada right now which is shocking given the success of Canadian pair teams. The women, without Osmond and Daleman, are in a tough spot but perhaps Schumacher and few other younger skaters might have the ability.

ChiquitaBanana

As I recall, Joannie Rochette usually had Mannon with her for interviews. I think that is a good idea. Eventually I guess the skaters themselves get enough PR training that they can handle it on their own but sometimes the "What Went Wrong" questions are harsh when they have hardly had a chance to catch their breath. I really enjoy pairs/dance teams interviews as they look to each other so much in deciding who will answer. I wish my husband would look to me more before some of his answers.

Manon was there because Jiannie wasn’t really fluent in English.

Erin

Banned Member

Yeah, I’m hoping his placement isn’t too high either because there is going to be plenty of hype as it is. Not to jump on that hype, but I noticed Gogolev’s score from JGPF was not that far off what Keegan scored in the GPF, so it had me a little worried about what could happen at Canadians, especially since Gogolev can do a quad in the short at Canadians and add another element in the free. I’m really hoping Keegan is back in his Skate Canada form by Canadians, because I don’t think Gogolev winning this year would be good in the long run at all.

ChiquitaBanana

Yeah, I’m hoping his placement isn’t too high either because there is going to be plenty of hype as it is. Not to jump on that hype, but I noticed Gogolev’s score from JGPF was not that far off what Keegan scored in the GPF, so it had me a little worried about what could happen at Canadians, especially since Gogolev can do a quad in the short at Canadians and add another element in the free. I’m really hoping Keegan is back in his Skate Canada form by Canadians, because I don’t think Gogolev winning this year would be good in the long run at all.

Canadian thinking... The Russians were not afraid of Sotnikova and Tuktamysheva winning as 13-14 yo... 😜

Rock2

Manon was there because Jiannie wasn’t really fluent in English.

Neither was Manon, so I don't think that was the main reason. Probably there for support but I agree, having Lee or someone with him given he's so camera shy might help.

Brenda is a fairly awkward / borderline cringeworthy broadcast personality in skating so that likely doesn't help much either.

Rock2

While watching the men (and pairs) CBC live stream yesterday, I was iffy on Dylan Moscovitch as commentator. He's got a good voice, and he knows his stuff, but sometimes he spoke way too quietly that I couldn't make out a thing he was saying.
I do really like that different people are getting the opportunity to try out commentary at this event. Keep it up, CBC!

Would the quietness not be an easy fix either with the mic or just a smidge of direction?
I really like his conversational tone and the nuanced insight he brings to both singles and pairs skating. I fully expect him to fairly quickly build a broacasting/commentary career in Canada. He's very articulate and likeable.

I enjoyed Asher much more than I expected to. Enjoyed his commentary. His laugh is quite distracting though and he has to shut it down to no more than a chuckle to really make a career of this. Not yet ready for broadcast.

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but my biggest problem is PJ. Lovely woman, fairly knowledgeable about skating (less than some might think) but she's not warm or conversational. Extremely stiff as a presenter. She's best suited to in-arena announcing and commentating by herself back in the day on CBC Bold. She just doesn't pair well with others. Fairly zero chemistry with whomever she works with.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
I'm sure I'm in the minority here but my biggest problem is PJ. Lovely woman, fairly knowledgeable about skating (less than some might think) but she's not warm or conversational. Extremely stiff as a presenter. She's best suited to in-arena announcing and commentating by herself back in the day on CBC Bold. She just doesn't pair well with others. Fairly zero chemistry with whomever she works with.
I dislike Kwong with other commentators because she's too deferential, which usually means the lowest common denominator wins. I, too, prefer her by herself or in her podcast interviews, where she drives the conversation.

I love her when she's (allowed to be) curious, and standard broadcast commentary is about restriction and cliches, ie the stuff of drinking games, and where her talents are wasted, although I don't begrudge her the money or exposure. When her and Dore's podcast took a detour into interesting-people-who-sparked-PJ's-curiosity, like journalists, artists and arts administrators, the woman in charge of transportation logistics for the Commonwealth Games in Toronto, et al, or when someone says, Hey, PJ, could you do commentary on Javelin or an unknown martial art, etc., she's at her very best.

barbarafan

Gogolev winning nationals is not out of the question. I think the only thing keeping him off the podium is a shaky short. I'm fine with whatever happens.
Exactly...may the best man win. I believe his overall score in sectionals was 241.75 and it also was not clean. He is at a disadvantage already as being in the middle of growing although he always trains he does not always jump and certainly not the same qty as those he will compete with. If he is able to train quite well between now and Nationals I give him a 50% chance of being clean in both programs which could win. Kudos to him if he does. Hopefully he will make podium which should cement his trip to junior worlds.So everyone has to bring their A game. Many Seniors will have better PCS as although Stephen is showing nice clean lines and good skating skills he is still behind on power and on ice coverage as he is still squishy. May the Best Man Win

skatingguy

decently
What happened to Patrick Chan's hairline? :eek:

Also, needs a little more make-up - he's a little shiny. :p

ChiquitaBanana

Neither was Manon, so I don't think that was the main reason. Probably there for support but I agree, having Lee or someone with him given he's so camera shy might help.

You know so much... Who else nearby could have helped Joannie? You don’t remember Annie Barabé being by Cynthia Phaneuf’s side?

Zazy

I enjoyed Asher much more than I expected to. Enjoyed his commentary. His laugh is quite distracting though and he has to shut it down to no more than a chuckle to really make a career of this. Not yet ready for broadcast.

I liked Asher a lot as a competitor but he was disappointing for me as a commentator. He's brought in because he has some expertise about ice dance but all he talked about was music, feeling and star factor. Nothing technical, nothing to help viewers understand the sport. (I may also be annoyed that he called Bach elevator music...) Dylan was much better.

As for Gogolev, he's great but he's very young and it shows. The pcs he gets in juniors against teenagers are not really comparable to the pcs he would get in seniors. He could win nationals but it would have to be quite a poorly skated event.

Last edited:

Rock2

I liked Asher a lot as a competitor but he was disappointing for me as a commentator. He's brought in because he has some expertise about ice dance but all he talked about was music, feeling and star factor. Nothing technical, nothing to help viewers understand the sport. (I may also be annoyed that he called Bach elevator music...) Dylan was much better.

As for Gogolev, he's great but he's very young and it shows. The pcs he gets in juniors against teenagers are not really comparable to the pcs he would get in seniors. He could win nationals but it would have to be quite a poorly skated event.

Agree with your analysis of Asher.

I was thinking the opposite for Gogolev. I do think he was graded correctly with PCS in low 7s in Vancouver. What I'm expecting at nationals is mid to high 7s in PCS if she skates well. Add in another element and if he cleans up his URs and lands the lutz, I would say 170 is possible in the long with mid 80s in the short if he's mostly clean. If all skate well the only guy who can beat that is Keegan; Gogolev would be neck and neck with (or slightly ahead of) Nam. The rest would fall somewhere behind.

coppertop1

WTG Gogolev!! He could definitely be on the podium at Canadians. Obviously, he's too young to go to Worlds or Four Continents, but World Juniors is definitely an option. As much as part of me wishes he could go to Worlds, I'm happy to let him develop. His potential is unlimited and he will be around for 2022 and 2026.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information