Canadian Men 2018-19 season news & updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rock2

Moscovitch has changed careers, and Ilyushechkina has a contract with Cirque, and she's been proposed as a partner for everyone, including boys who have not yet been conceived, not to mention as a coach, so I don't see how either's opportunities have dried up.

The opportunities dried up as a pair skating couple. I didn't mean to suggest their lives were over as individuals.

They had a stated intention midway through the Olympic season to retire and do shows and other events together. That's what went away. They would have been on the Thank You Canada tour, for example, had they made the Olympic team, I believe.

What you describe is as much them each pursuing passions as it is a necessary 90 degree turn that was accelerated by their decision to retire and split because the opportunities for them as a skating pair had effectively dissipated.

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
As a team, but if she were interested, she could resume a competitive career easily.

He already has an Oympic medal, from Sochi.

Rock2

That was my whole point: 'as a team'

Dylan's 2014 medal can't be leveraged for any significant skating opportunities for Dylan and Luba together.

Of course they can still do many things as individuals. I never suggested or meant to suggest otherwise.

barbarafan

Moscovitch has changed careers, and Ilyushechkina has a contract with Cirque, and she's been proposed as a partner for everyone, including boys who have not yet been conceived, not to mention as a coach, so I don't see how either's opportunities have dried up.

Geez......if only FSU were job openings...duh.....everything they are doing is consolation prize.

Sylvia

TBD
Senior Men listed in the starting order for Minto Summer Skate include Nam Nguyen, Nicolas Nadeau, Roman Sadovsky and Bennet Toman.

Junior Men listed in the Minto starting order include 3 Senior men skating their JGP programs - Joseph Phan (LTU & CZE), Stephen Gogolev (SVK & Vancouver) & Conrad Orzel (AUT & SLO); plus Corey Circelli (AUT), Aleksa Rakic (SVK), Iliya Kovler, Alec Guinzbourg, and Beres Clements.

A Minto competition thread will be started soon in the Kiss & Cry section (events run from Thursday through Sunday).

ETA the 10 NextGen men listed on Skate Canad's website: https://skatecanada.ca/nextgen/

Joseph Phan (6th in Senior at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Patinage Rosemère (QC)
Coach: Yvan Desjardins

Stephen Gogolev (10th in Senior at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Toronto Cricket, Skating & Curling Club (ON)
Coaches: Brian Orser, Lee Barkell

Conrad Orzel (11th in Senior at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Toronto CS&CC (ON)
Coaches: Lee Barkell

Eric Liu (14th in Senior at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Ice Palace FSC (AB/NT/NU)
Coach: Ravi Walia

Corey Circelli (2nd in Junior at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Toronto Cricket, Skating & Curling Club
Coach: Lee Barkell

Iliya Kovler (4th in Junior at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Richmond Hill Training Centre (ON)
Coaches: Andrei Berezintev, Inga Zusev

Beres(ford) Clements (won the Junior silver medal at Egna Spring Trophy in April 2018)
Training Centre: Champs Int’l SC of BC (BC/YK)
Coach: Joanne McLeod

Alec Guinzbourg (1st in Novice at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Richmond Hill Training Centre (ON)
Coach: Andrei Berezintsev and Inga Zusev

Brian Chiem (2nd in Novice at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Ice Palace FSC (AB/NT/NU)
Coach: Ravi Walia

Aleksa Rakic (3rd in Novice at 2018 Canadians)
Training Centre: Champs Int’l SC of BC(BC/YK)
Coach: Joanne McLeod

ETA #2 - Alex Guinzbourg placed 2nd in the Junior Men's event at Skate Detroit last week, scoring 152.48 2 5 (64.70 SP, 87.78 FS), while Iliya Kovler finished 3rd 147.87 7 2 (103.41 FS).

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Today [July 23] was Kevin Reynolds' birthday. He made an instagram post and talked about his reasons for competing one more season. https://www.instagram.com/p/BlmNeeuBdSy/?taken-by=kevin.reynolds

Info about his programs: "My short program is to Nobuo Uematsu’s Illusionary World, choreographed by Lance Vipond. It was my first time working with Lance this summer, and it was a wonderfully enjoyable experience.
I will also have a new free skate to the music of Ni no Kuni by Joe Hisaishi, and I’m looking forward to developing and performing it soon."
Forgot to thank you earlier for posting the link to Kevin's thoughtful IG post. :) Another snippet:
"I’m pleased to say that I will be competing for one final season as I finish up my last year of undergrad studies at the University of British Columbia and transition to full-time working life."

Last edited:

barbarafan

kittysk8ts

Last edited:

Rock2

Gogolev no longer looks like a midget prodigy. He looks like a bona fide junior skater, all packaged up for the JGP (finally). True, he looks like an old vet the way he handles competition. Too funny.

Other than ongoing issues with jump popping I continue to be on the Gogo train. These were very good skates for JULY (remember)....especially since both programs are really really hard. Forget the jumps, his feet are always going and there is a lot of CH and TR to get right.

I'm really happy he kept his Run Boy Run short. Very cool (and again, tough) program. Great choices for major international debut programs.

I think JGP judges will receive him well. Curious to see what he gets if he repeats this short. I'm not holding my breath, though, as he's prone to random errors. Regardless, he's set up for a good year and seems to be handling the growth....so far!

kittysk8ts

Gogolev no longer looks like a midget prodigy. He looks like a bona fide junior skater, all packaged up for the JGP (finally). True, he looks like an old vet the way he handles competition. Too funny.

Other than ongoing issues with jump popping I continue to be on the Gogo train. These were very good skates for JULY (remember)....especially since both programs are really really hard. Forget the jumps, his feet are always going and there is a lot of CH and TR to get right.

I'm really happy he kept his Run Boy Run short. Very cool (and again, tough) program. Great choices for major international debut programs.

I think JGP judges will receive him well. Curious to see what he gets if he repeats this short. I'm not holding my breath, though, as he's prone to random errors. Regardless, he's set up for a good year and seems to be handling the growth....so far!
Yup, right there with ya :) And my goodness his axel is gorgeous.

barbarafan

Such a big change...not worrying about jumps for now as he is so limited in practice time on them. With the new growth you can see his speed and power much different from last year..As well his extensions are coming along...should receive good PCS from international judges.More interested to see what Ted thinks..

Rock2

Someone uploaded the junior men's free skate from Minto:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCh2IhFeFKgNDoykFdHE2MNg

I really like Corey Circelli's program, it suits him. Not sure about Romeo and Juliet for Orzel but he had a decent skate for this time in the season.

I was really disappointed at the R&J pick from Orzel. Won't distinguish himself from the field. I will say his costume looks better and flatters his look MUCH better than what he wore last year.

For his introverted and more focused style, I had recommended the Saint Saens music Abbott used for 2010 Olympic year. For this genre of music. he could have sold this better.

Sylvia

TBD
Article on Stephen Gogolev by Rob Brodie: https://www.ifsmagazine.com/stephen-gogolev-canadas-nextgen-star/
Last sentence:
In late July, Gogolev won the Minto Summer Skate in the junior division over three other Canadian teenagers who will also be competing on the Junior Grand Prix circuit this season — Conrad Orzel, Joseph Phan and Corey Circelli — all of whom are also trained by the Orser/Tracy Wilson team.

Sylvia

TBD
Joseph Phan skated his Junior SP well at the Quebec Summer Championships earlier tonight and scored 81.49 -- his jumps were 3Lz+3T(good height), 3A (looked good in the air, bit of a swervy landing with a bent free leg but he held on) & 3F (not the smoothest landing). His SP song, "Million Eyes" by Loic Nottet, was choreographed by Jeff Buttle.

He received +2 to +5 GOEs for his combo, -2 to +3 on his 3A and 0 to +5 on his 3F. :D

shutterbug

Me watching Nic Nadeau's new FP this evening: :huh: :confused: :yikes: :rofl: Well, we wanted something different from Nic, and Depeche Mode is that for sure. Too. Many. Cuts. for my taste, but that's probably how I heard it in the alcoholic haze of my pub crawling years. :lol: I assume we have Shae-Lynn to thank for this creation? Nice to see his gorgeous 3axel-3toe again tho.

Rock2

Has there been any discussion of Matthew Markell, 2018 Junior Champ?

I havent seen him entered in any summer competitions, including the one this weekend in Toronto.

DE93

Has there been any discussion of Matthew Markell, 2018 Junior Champ?

I havent seen him entered in any summer competitions, including the one this weekend in Toronto.
Recovering from an injury is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information