Canadian figure skating

Seerek

Does anyone know why competitions are never held in Hamilton anymore? We had 1997 GPF (Champions Series Final as it was known then), 2002 Nationals and 2004 4CCs, all of which I attended. But there’s been nothing since. (And there are 2 new hotels in walking distance from the arena now.)
Bringing up Hamilton also had me thinking about Kitchener as well. They had previously hosted a Junior Worlds and the Grand Prix Final, but nothing since Skate Canada 2009 (IIRC). I know that they've been speculating building a new arena for decades now, but still nothing concrete yet.

Dave of the North

Digging up dead relatives since 1992
Bringing up Hamilton also had me thinking about Kitchener as well. They had previously hosted a Junior Worlds and the Grand Prix Final, but nothing since Skate Canada 2009 (IIRC). I know that they've been speculating building a new arena for decades now, but still nothing concrete yet.
The seating in the arena back when it hosted Skate Canada was terrible. Very cramped with no legroom.

What disappoints me about the media the most is the type of stories they run on figure skating when anything is written at all. Doping scandals, corrupt judging, sexual assault. No wonder the casual reader and potential fan has a negative opinion of the sport.

There is no attempt by the media to inform about the sport. I remember watching during a skating competition on tv, clips of different types of jumps with somebody knowledgeable (a judge or elite coach) explaining how the jumps are done. Likely that was 20 years ago with nothing since. I was a new fan then and really appreciated learning about the elements and how to recognize them.

Skate Canada could also make more interesting and informative press releases available to be picked up by local media. i wasn’t hugely interested in those ”tell me some thing interesting about you” clips SC did with the top skaters in previous years. Instead, make me understand the sport enough to become engaged on what is happening on the ice.

If you (Skate Canada) want to increase fan base, make us fans of the sport. Why should I watch this sport on-line or in a cold arena? It is beautiful, athletic, complex and wholly enjoyable sport but it does require a knowledge base to really enjoy. Let me into the mystery in a way I don’t feel dumb or insulted. Don’t make me always associate the sport with controversy!

Current rant ended. I feel a bit better now, thank you.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Fair enough, but I wouldn't call that a global top training base. At least not yet. The current Canadian (senior) pair champions aren't there.
Hmm current world champions? Also the largest skating club in Canada?

Janef

Since cbc is funded almost exclusively by Canadian tax dollars as a state broadcaster if skate Canada were smart they should be lobbying for coverage by them !!! Just a thought. The figure skating community should band together.

Since cbc is funded almost exclusively by Canadian tax dollars as a state broadcaster if skate Canada were smart they should be lobbying for coverage by them !!! Just a thought. The figure skating community should band together.
Sorry - not a state broadcaster but a national public broadcaster. Big difference.

CBC has obligations to meet with that public money including providing media services to remote regions and in both official languages, along with the more commonly spoken languages of First Nations and Inuit. It is not a mouthpiece for the government.

CBC does stream for free many (most) domestic figure skating events (including sectionals). And I am very grateful for that. But you must be a fan already to know this. Figure skating isn't really visible to the public that isn't familiar with the sport outside of the Olympics. I don't own a television so I don't know what other big market for-profit media outlets are doing but I am guessing even less than the CBC and doing it less-well.

So what should Skate Canada do? Work with at least the CBC to heighten the sport and not the controversies associated with the sport. Make it easy for the CBC to provide enlightening and informed stories on the sport that will lead people to and not away from watching the live streams.

Yes, as fans we can lobby the CBC - make sure we know of their positive efforts (streaming) and let them know what we want in terms of media coverage. Not sure how to do that effectively. Suggestions?

Last edited:

DE93

As someone who lives in KW and would love to see Nationals here, I truly cannot recommend The Aud to host. I was there for Stars on Ice in December and it's not very accessible for people with mobility issues (lots of steep stairs with no railings, narrow doorways etc.) or comfortable seating-wise at all. I keep hoping they decide to build a new arena, but I fear KW is too attached to the glory days of the building to let it go 😅. That being said, I've never had more fun at a competition than when junior worlds was there in 2005.

Judy

Sorry - not a state broadcaster but a national public broadcaster. Big difference.

CBC has obligations to meet with that public money including providing media services to remote regions and in both official languages, along with the more commonly spoken languages of First Nations and Inuit. It is not a mouthpiece for the government.

CBC does stream for free many (most) domestic figure skating events (including sectionals). And I am very grateful for that. But you must be a fan already to know this. Figure skating isn't really visible to the public that isn't familiar with the sport outside of the Olympics. I don't own a television so I don't know what other big market for-profit media outlets are doing but I am guessing even less than the CBC and doing it less-well.

So what should Skate Canada do? Work with at least the CBC to heighten the sport and not the controversies associated with the sport. Make it easy for the CBC to provide enlightening and informed stories on the sport that will lead people to and not away from watching the live streams.

Yes, as fans we can lobby the CBC - make sure we know of their positive efforts (streaming) and let them know what we want in terms of media coverage. Not sure how to do that effectively. Suggestions?
The big reason too is it is Canadian content.

I was kinda shocked when he cut funding. CBC radio is very important to QC too. But funding just never has been cut. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbc-radio-canada-layoffs-budget-1.7048530

There’s a lot of politics around it too. If Poillevre wins as PM - a very real threat - not sure CBC will survive? I hope so .. I find their news/sports have always been really good but 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

screech

One (relatively) simple thing they could so is have some commercials about figure skating air on regular TV. I mean, I see ads showcasing curling on a regular basis, and curling has had a huge increase in popularity in Canada.

I mean, get some of the big, highly recognizable names to do an ad. And if they can make it funny or memorable, all the better!

I Luv Bulldogs

From Vancouver there's a 5000 seat arena in Chilliwack. It's about a 1.5 hour drive on the trans-Canada highway; typically not icy or snow covered. Normal Jan weather it rains a lot and the roads are fine.

Also the Abbotsford Centre, seats 7000, about 30-45 mins drive from Van.
I always thought the Langley Events Centre would be a great venue. Closer to Vancouver than Chilliwack or Abbotsford and seats 5,300.

Anything beats dragging all the way out to the decrepit Thunderbird arena.

I always thought the Langley Events Centre would be a great venue. Closer to Vancouver than Chilliwack or Abbotsford and seats 5,300.

Anything beats dragging all the way out to the decrepit Thunderbird arena.
I’ve also thought that. My cousin had his wedding reception there and I walked in and thought it would be great for a Skate Canada/Nationals. No idea about transit in the area though.

Sonata

The big reason too is it is Canadian content.

I was kinda shocked when he cut funding. CBC radio is very important to QC too. But funding just never has been cut. https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cbc-radio-canada-layoffs-budget-1.7048530

There’s a lot of politics around it too. If Poillevre wins as PM - a very real threat - not sure CBC will survive? I hope so .. I find their news/sports have always been really good but 🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️🤷‍♀️

If Poilievre wins, the CBC quality is decreasing even more.

I’m getting the sense that part of the lack of ads is due to Skate Canada being almost broke and CBC being almost broke.

However, doesn’t make up for lack of common sense from Skate Canada. Maybe they don’t have the money to send people internationally? They don’t even pay the physiotherapists and doctors who cover their events. It’s almost all volunteer. But wow does the president make a lot of money for what’s required.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
all this speculation is fine - except without a strong Local Organizing Committee and volunteers - the venue is irrelevant. The struggle is finding a section and LOC that is strong along with a good venue that is accessible and affordable. My personal favourite rinks are Vancouver, Hamilton and Ottawa downtown. They are all accessible by nearby airports and good public transportation, have restaurants within walking distance and hotels nearby. There are also some good rinks in Quebec and I can imagine we will get either next years Canadians or grand prix East.

Former Lurve Goddess

A
One (relatively) simple thing they could so is have some commercials about figure skating air on regular TV. I mean, I see ads showcasing curling on a regular basis, and curling has had a huge increase in popularity in Canada.

I mean, get some of the big, highly recognizable names to do an ad. And if they can make it funny or memorable, all the better!
Maybe Kurt Browning's CHIP reverse mortgage people combine their ahem, predatory ads with promoting current Canadian competitors and competitions?:)

Former Lurve Goddess

all this speculation is fine - except without a strong Local Organizing Committee and volunteers - the venue is irrelevant. The struggle is finding a section and LOC that is strong along with a good venue that is accessible and affordable. My personal favourite rinks are Vancouver, Hamilton and Ottawa downtown. They are all accessible by nearby airports and good public transportation, have restaurants within walking distance and hotels nearby. There are also some good rinks in Quebec and I can imagine we will get either next years Canadians or grand prix East.
If Vancouver, Hamilton, Ottawa and maybe Laval regularly hosted Canadian Nationals, I'd start going again.

Janef

Yes, as fans we can lobby the CBC - make sure we know of their positive efforts (streaming) and let them know what we want in terms of media coverage. Not sure how to do that effectively.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Hmm current world champions? Also the largest skating club in Canada?

And....?
Comparing the numbers of dance teams at Worlds from IAM and the number of pairs teams from this rink....there's no comparison. I'm not saying this is a bad club, far from it, but IMO it's really a stretch to call it a global leader in pairs training.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
I think we can add aging infrastructure to the list of challenges for skating in Canada. We're not building enough new rinks, and many of the ones we have are in need of replacement.

And some of the larger ones that are viable are pretty solidly booked with concerts, trade shows, and other events. Or they have an exclusive contract with an event booking company that only puts its "own" events into the venue. AFAIK Canadians requires at least a week-long booking, and that's a lot to ask - especially when the venue could bring in a concert booking for two or three days (set-up, show, takedown) that would make it a lot more money.

Last edited:

Judy

If Poilievre wins, the CBC quality is decreasing even more.

I’m getting the sense that part of the lack of ads is due to Skate Canada being almost broke and CBC being almost broke.

However, doesn’t make up for lack of common sense from Skate Canada. Maybe they don’t have the money to send people internationally? They don’t even pay the physiotherapists and doctors who cover their events. It’s almost all volunteer. But wow does the president make a lot of money for what’s required.
I highly doubt Skate Canada is broke. They likely publish their financials somewhere. Mi’d allow that they struggled through the pandemic along with everyone else including sports Organizations etc. guaranteed the last minute cancellation of worlds in Montreal hurt them too.

to give you an idea in the beginning though .. I wasn’t even allowed to take my dogs to a dog park. People were fined if they were caught sitting on a park bench. My city implemented Their own rules on top of the province? Why? We didn’t know how it spread. It’s not like China was helpful.

Last edited:

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
As someone who lives in KW and would love to see Nationals here, I truly cannot recommend The Aud to host. I was there for Stars on Ice in December and it's not very accessible for people with mobility issues (lots of steep stairs with no railings, narrow doorways etc.) or comfortable seating-wise at all. I keep hoping they decide to build a new arena, but I fear KW is too attached to the glory days of the building to let it go 😅. That being said, I've never had more fun at a competition than when junior worlds was there in 2005.
Aww that’s a shame. My sister lives in Waterloo so I’d be very tempted to visit if it was near there.

I went to 4CC in Hamilton and loved it. The event that is. The weather was so cold I’ve never complained it’s cold in the UK since :lol:

JasperBoy

Stayin inside
UniWorld was around before David Ash got into doing skating tours (he was involved with tours for other sports) - he was in Nice in 2000 promoting 2001 World in Vancouver which was, I believe, his first skating Worlds. UniWorld skating tours (first under Kathy & now under Angela) never stopped (except when there were no public allowed into events) and I'll be with their group in Montreal :D

Sorry for multiple posts - I'm just getting caught up :)
Yes, that's right. Quite a few DASH customers moved to Uniworld, myself included. Angela was quite overwhelmed, and picky!
I don't go to competitions anymore, having aged out of the discomfort level as it now stands. Once the audience was forced to leave their seats during the breaks, I was done. (Boston and Helsinki Worlds). Live streaming is exactly what I need.

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
Uniworld was doing tours after DASH folded. I think they have started up again since COVID. Now doing business as Uniglobe, and they have a tour going to Montreal.
Uniworld Travel & Tours still operates - it is a division of Uniglobe Enterprise Travel Ltd/The Premier Travel Group. They are offering a group tour for the Boston Worlds in 2025.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information