Canadian figure skating

victorskid

Happily ignoring ultracrepidarians (& trolls)!
I went to several eastern Canadian nationals with Dash Tours. Perfect for me! I believe they are gone and not sure if there are viable replacements??
Long before DASH was even offering skating tours (they were set up for other sports initially) there was an excellent Canadian skating tour operator known as UniWorld, located in Toronto. Initially they only offered group travel to Worlds but in more recent years they have included Skate Canada International and Canadians where there is sufficient interest. There also used to be a skating tour operator in Winnipeg (if I recall correctly) - they had a group at Worlds in Minneapolis. I was there with UniWorld and I have attended a number of events around the world and in Canada with them ever since.

victorskid

I lived in Ottawa from 1984-1988 and they were talking then about developing LeBreton Flats... (too many stakeholders spoil the stew)

The arena in Kanata is not bad to get to, but it is a pain to get out of. (ETA via car)
Part of the secret to getting out quickly and efficiently is knowing where to park when you arrive :D
I have also gone there via OCTranspo bus from Orleans.

Last edited:

victorskid

Uniworld was doing tours after DASH folded. I think they have started up again since COVID. Now doing business as Uniglobe, and they have a tour going to Montreal.
UniWorld was around before David Ash got into doing skating tours (he was involved with tours for other sports) - he was in Nice in 2000 promoting 2001 World in Vancouver which was, I believe, his first skating Worlds. UniWorld skating tours (first under Kathy & now under Angela) never stopped (except when there were no public allowed into events) and I'll be with their group in Montreal :D

Sorry for multiple posts - I'm just getting caught up :)

Sonata

Part of the secret to getting out quickly and efficiently is knowing where to park when you arrive :D
I have also gone there via OCTranspo bus from Orleans.
I went to Ottawa SOI last year and it was two hours travel for me in the pouring rain. However, there was a special direct bus from downtown to Kanata that was available especially for SOI that took some figuring out on my part but it was cheaper than Uber, which would have cost me $40-$50 one way. Exiting from that arena by car can be really scary.

Relying on Uber for hundreds or thousands of people at the end of an event is somewhat of a nightmare…. I do appreciate an event that is close to public transport, so if nationals is in Laval next year, HURRAH! It’s not close to anything that interesting (sorry, Laval) but the metro stop is right in front of the arena, making it way more accessible and a cheap and convenient 20-minute ride from downtown.

On the topic of Landsdowne, that was where nationals 2022 were, but audience was not allowed due to covid. So sounds like that roof is fixed?

Last edited:

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Does anyone know why competitions are never held in Hamilton anymore? We had 1997 GPF (Champions Series Final as it was known then), 2002 Nationals and 2004 4CCs, all of which I attended. But there’s been nothing since. (And there are 2 new hotels in walking distance from the arena now.)
World synchro was held there in 2022 and was very good

Janef

Considering Skate Canada knew well ahead of time that ticket sales were abysmal, they should have offered free tickets to all the local skating clubs to entice aspiring figure skaters to come watch Nationals live. Not only would it have filled the arena, but it would have given much needed support for the skaters. I can't imagine it feels good to come out and skate at Nationals to an empty rink. The Juniors were particularly hard to watch with literally bare stands.

It also doesn't help that Skate Canada insists of charging a ridiculous amount for entry to Nationals. To charge $75 for only 2 events (Men's long & Pairs free OR Women's long and Dance Free) is definitely a deterrent for the average person, nevermind forking over more for Short programs or Juniors. So what you are left with is family and friends, plus some die hard fans. I think when you add up the cost of all the
days, it almost ends up being more expensive than an all event pass at Euros which I think started at $250 Euros (per the Facebook post). Even Worlds all event pass started at $574.

Skate Canada did no one any favours by pricing it so high. It was a missed opportunity to get younger skaters and parents excited about figure skating and find new skaters to look up to while providing a much needed audience for the skaters as well.
I agree. There is no way I would pay that for watching amateur figure skating especially in its current state. I can’t understand why they don’t give tickets out to schools for juniors either. Who knows could generate interest ? and some people in the seats for sure.

The Observer

Oh I totally agree - CBC makes it way too hard to find the figure skating livestreams. That didn't use to be the case - I wonder if the budget cuts are the cause?
If CBC isn't up to the job of broadcasting figure skating or giving it TV coverage, perhaps CTV should be the one to broadcast figure skating again. I miss Rod Black & Tracy Wilson.

Judy

I went to Ottawa SOI last year and it was two hours travel for me in the pouring rain. However, there was a special direct bus from downtown to Kanata that was available especially for SOI that took some figuring out on my part but it was cheaper than Uber, which would have cost me $40-$50 one way. Exiting from that arena by car can be really scary.

Relying on Uber for hundreds or thousands of people at the end of an event is somewhat of a nightmare…. I do appreciate an event that is close to public transport, so if nationals is in Laval next year, HURRAH! It’s not close to anything that interesting (sorry, Laval) but the metro stop is right in front of the arena, making it way more accessible and a cheap and convenient 20-minute ride from downtown.

On the topic of Landsdowne, that was where nationals 2022 were, but audience was not allowed due to covid. So sounds like that roof is fixed?
Well .. the Ottawa 67’s still play in the arena but it is going to be rebuilt .. along with other major construction additions. I have no idea when though. https://www.ontarioconstructionnews...een-lights-491-million-lansdowne-2-0-project/

Former Lurve Goddess

Rod Black was fired from BellMedia two years ago - BellMedia doesn't want to broadcast figure skating, and that's why they don't have the contract anymore.
Bell Media laid off a large amount of their workforce very recently (including some potential up and coming on air stars). Johnny Esaw's "Canada's Figure Skating Network" CTV sadly no longer exists.

Parsley Sage

Another thought about the Coca Cola Coliseum, If the Leafs and/or Raptors or a concert are also in town during the event then getting out of the area at the end of the night will be brutal.

Former Lurve Goddess

I'd consider going to Nationals if they were held in Laval (and weren't $$$$). I could stay at my fave cheap Montreal hotel on the metro line, enjoy Montreal and just go to boring Laval for the comp.

Last edited:

Desperado

I knew there was a shuttle for the Sens but didn’t know there was one for SOI. Interesting.

You’re so right about Ubers/taxis. I would trust one to get me there, but not to take me back.

Our PWHL team (yeah :cheer2: ) also plays at Landsdowne now so bets are the roof is fixed.

nickp

Canada is still a dominant force in dance and pairs and has the top training bases globally for dance and pairs

Judy

Bell Media laid off a large amount of their workforce very recently (including some potential up and coming on air stars). Johnny Esaw's "Canada's Figure Skating Network" CTV sadly no longer exists.
Bell Media is not a great company at all. Just google Lisa LaFlamme and the diasterous fallout from what happened. Lisa is very smart.

Some info from someone who worked there. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tb2jwz8Deis

Last edited:

Sonata

I knew there was a shuttle for the Sens but didn’t know there was one for SOI. Interesting.

You’re so right about Ubers/taxis. I would trust one to get me there, but not to take me back.
The shuttle was not well advertised. It was a direct bus I think from one of the bus stations in the west end, I can’t remember which.

I use Uber quite a lot, but I cannot imagine waiting for one right after an event while it’s -35C and hundreds if not thousands of other people are potentially ordering one at the same time.

ETA CTV is probably not interested in figure skating anymore as it’s not lucrative. A vicious circle - you can’t build a fan base and get advertisers if you don’t show the sport. Not sure if Rod Black got fired or was asked to leave with a generous retirement package. The timing did come at the same time as lots of cuts. And agree what they did to Lisa Laflamme was classless. I don’t think that had to do with budget cuts though, it was more about executives being drunk on power.

Last edited:

Judy

The shuttle was not well advertised. It was a direct bus I think from one of the bus stations in the west end, I can’t remember which.

I use Uber quite a lot, but I cannot imagine waiting for one right after an event while it’s -35C and hundreds if not thousands of other people are potentially ordering one at the same time.

ETA CTV is probably not interested in figure skating anymore as it’s not lucrative. A vicious circle - you can’t build a fan base and get advertisers if you don’t show the sport. Not sure if Rod Black got fired or was asked to leave with a generous retirement package. The timing did come at the same time as lots of cuts. And agree what they did to Lisa Laflamme was classless. I don’t think that had to do with budget cuts though, it was more about executives being drunk on power.
Well Rod Black was definitely not fired with cause. Yes I’m sure he was offered an early retirement package or something. I’m not connected to any media so I have no idea if there are retirement packages etc but you would think so? Buyouts anyways.

Last edited:

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Well Rod Black was definitely not fired with cause. Yes I’m sure he was offered an early retirement package or something. I’m not connected to any media so I have no idea if there are retirement packages etc but you would think so? Buyouts anyways.
He wasn't fired or let go - his contract expired and he simply wasn't offered a new one. I think CTV/TSN probably saw not renewing him as a cost-cutting measure. And because there was no contract, he likely wasn't given any kind of buyout or retirement package either.

Former Lurve Goddess

He wasn't fired or let go - his contract expired and he simply wasn't offered a new one. I think CTV/TSN probably saw not renewing him as a cost-cutting measure. And because there was no contract, he likely wasn't given any kind of buyout or retirement package either.
Based on his age and years of service with CTV, I'm sure Black got some kind of package.

4rkidz

plotting, planning and travelling
Dance, yes, but pairs? Where?
Oakville (Bruno Marcotte) - where the Japanese world champs were training prior to injury and current grand prix finalists plus they have juniors and are expanding. It is by 'invitation' only.

overedge

Mayor of Carrot City
Oakville (Bruno Marcotte) - where the Japanese world champs were training prior to injury and current grand prix finalists plus they have juniors and are expanding. It is by 'invitation' only.

Fair enough, but I wouldn't call that a global top training base. At least not yet. The current Canadian (senior) pair champions aren't there.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
What's your point? The US had 2 of 6 JGPF pairs last season and neither of them are competing together this season. Heck, one of the 2 Canadian JGPF pairs made the JGPF this year with a different partner. Canada has some developmental depth in pairs but junior pairs isn't a gauge anyone should rely upon when determining dominance, especially on the senior level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information