Canadian figure skating

Janef

Wow that was the worst nationals. I understand why there wasn’t people in the stands -35 I wouldn’t go out either but the fact there is no tv coverage. That has to be a first. I understand that also. It’s almost like the level of completion is so bad it’s not even warranted? The lighting was also really awful. 🤷‍♀️ There needs to be more funding to grow talent. Not every family is wealthy enough to put their child into this sport. Maybe it’s a blip?

dramagrrl

I agree this wasn’t a great competition, but having been to Canadians in years when the winner of senior ladies landed only one clean triple and we had legitimate world medal contenders in only one (or sometimes zero) category, I would say it was far from the worst. We have world medal contenders in two disciplines, and while our singles prospects are currently not great (especially in men’s, which is total chaos with not a lot of real hope for the near future), at least we aren’t watching free skates in which no one lands a triple jump until the very last flight. (I have definitely been to Canadians in the past in which not a single man landed a 3A until the final group, and not a single lady landed a successful 3Z at all.)

Janef

I agree this wasn’t a great competition, but having been to Canadians in years when the winner of senior ladies landed only one clean triple and we had legitimate world medal contenders in only one (or sometimes zero) category, I would say it was far from the worst. We have world medal contenders in two disciplines, and while our singles prospects are currently not great (especially in men’s, which is total chaos with not a lot of real hope for the near future), at least we aren’t watching free skates in which no one lands a triple jump until the very last flight. (I have definitely been to Canadians in the past in which not a single man landed a 3A until the final group, and not a single lady landed a successful 3Z at all.)
Ok. You have been watching and following this sport a little closer than I. I think the lack of tv coverage is a new thing though. With tv they kind of highlight certain skaters more so they have a chance to kind of be at least a Canadian celebrity of sorts. If they aren’t going to be supported there isn’t much opportunity for them

Japanfan

I think the lack of tv coverage is a new thing though. With tv they kind of highlight certain skaters more so they have a chance to kind of be at least a Canadian celebrity of sorts. If they aren’t going to be supported there isn’t much opportunity for them
I expect the coverage to be the same for Worlds. We used to be able to hook our laptop up to the TV to watch skating on the bigger screen, but our new TV doesn't have a hook up for the laptop. Ironically, we got the new TV to have a bigger, better screen for FS.

Have to find a way to get access to the ISU stream for worlds (which CBC will block).

I've often said that CBC would destroy my love of FS, and I think it almost has. I don't care to watch on the computer and prefer to watch on the bigger screen with Mr. Japanfan, who won't watch on the computer. Watching FS is the closest we get to a date night.

Last edited:

Private Citizen

"PC." Pronouns: none/none
(I have definitely been to Canadians in the past in which not a single man landed a 3A until the final group, and not a single lady landed a successful 3Z at all.)

Considering that the technical level of the sport has evolved, I don't think this was much better. No one on the men's podium landed a clean triple axel or quad in the free. No one on the women's podium managed a clean triple-triple in the free.

The sport seems to be in crisis, in large part due to mismanagement and poor strategy. I hope someone with a vision can step up. This is sad to see in a figure skating nation that used to be world leading at both competitive and commercial strategy. Gone are the days when Canadian skaters showed up with COP-maximized programs, had plenty of well-thought-out international assignments, and audiences were always packed. Now it seems like nobody cares.

Japanfan

Not to mention, the stands looked quite empty to me - from what I saw on TV.

Former Lurve Goddess

Canada didn’t win any World or Olympic medals in any discipline between 1977 and 1982, so I guess things could be worse. Back in the days when Skate Canada was flush with cash during the boom years, I was always worried that they weren’t putting away funds for when the lean times came about again. I presume I was right about that.🙄

Judy

Wow that was the worst nationals. I understand why there wasn’t people in the stands -35 I wouldn’t go out either but the fact there is no tv coverage. That has to be a first. I understand that also. It’s almost like the level of completion is so bad it’s not even warranted? The lighting was also really awful. 🤷‍♀️ There needs to be more funding to grow talent. Not every family is wealthy enough to put their child into this sport. Maybe it’s a blip?
Yes I’ve heard the west provinces are getting hit really bad with the temps. The inflation is hitting people really bad too.

It’s up to -55 with wind chill. That is brutal. -40 is brutal.

skategal

Bunny mama
I don’t think parents are putting kids into figure skating in large numbers anymore either.

The increase in other sports (including some that Canada was never good at and now is) seems to be shrinking the participation levels in skating.

Back in the day everyone either skated or played hockey in the winter. It’s not like that now.

Plus the increase in girls hockey has shrunk participation in figure skating.

coppertop1

I don’t think parents are putting kids into figure skating in large numbers anymore either.

The increase in other sports (including some that Canada was never good at and now is) seems to be shrinking the participation levels in skating.

Back in the day everyone either skated or played hockey in the winter. It’s not like that now.

It's not the most sustainable sport. Plus, allegations of abuse and the recent doping scandal hasn't help.

pat c

The sport seems to be in crisis, in large part due to mismanagement and poor strategy. I hope someone with a vision can step up. This is sad to see in a figure skating nation that used to be world leading at both competitive and commercial strategy. Gone are the days when Canadian skaters showed up with COP-maximized programs, had plenty of well-thought-out international assignments, and audiences were always packed. Now it seems like nobody cares.

It's a combination of things, but there are other sports that are stealing potential skaters because of cost, availability of good coaching, and time. Now that there is a pro women's hockey league, the drain is going to really show up in Canada. Bottom line, figure skating is expensive, high performance coaching is not readily available w/o moving somewhere. Same old with new twists. Also, the 2 recognizable women athletes in Canada right now is Hayley Wickenheiser and Christine Sinclair. Not skaters? hmm.

Colonel Green

I think we need a shakeup. Maybe a new High Performance Director? Someone who will invest in our younger skaters, especially the single skaters. Our pairs and ice dance teams are fine. Our singles skaters are struggling
We have been investing in younger skaters. The results just haven't been there.

Figure skating isn't really a centralized development sport, anyway; skaters, their families, and their coaches make most of the decisions.

Judy

It’s very difficult to say/predict that though.

Nationals was never that exciting for me though.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!
Something that maybe it's time to consider based on some of the very good points raised above is how the system works.
It has been some years since I was familiar with the system (when we still had preliminary, junior bronze etc.. which I believe has all changed now). But what I think hasn't changed is when the kids move to private coaching?

It used to be you got group coaching through the CanSkate stages and then had to switch to private coaching. I think one thing to really consider, and it's a big change, is to continue group coaching like they do in a lot of European countries.

I have seen both versions and I do think there are benefits to skaters in the earlier stages when the whole session are working on the same spins, jumps etc... because those skaters are working all the time throughout their session. Compare that to the same 50 minute session where a skater the same age gets a 10 min private lesson and then often pisses about for the remaining 40 minutes.

That will help with the cost to parents and also they might be more willing to keep their kids in the sport if they see they are keeping busy for the full session. Keeping it the same means those without $$$ are just going to give up and put their kids in team sports. Running some sort of pilot project to try a more European approach in the developmental stages might just keep around some kids with less $$$ but more natural talent and see where it takes you.

Desperado

It's a combination of things, but there are other sports that are stealing potential skaters because of cost, availability of good coaching, and time. Now that there is a pro women's hockey league, the drain is going to really show up in Canada. Bottom line, figure skating is expensive, high performance coaching is not readily available w/o moving somewhere. Same old with new twists. Also, the 2 recognizable women athletes in Canada right now is Hayley Wickenheiser and Christine Sinclair. Not skaters? hmm.
I like that girls have more opportunity now, that they have famous sport role models that don’t look like skating’s ideal female body and looks, in very expensive cute dresses.

The sport has failed at inclusivity on many levels.

Judy

But just because we don’t see it doesn’t mean it isn’t happening either. It is a big commitment too for entering into that level.

My neighbour’s 8 year old girl is playing on an all boys team (non-competitive). She was named player of the week in Dec. I kinda love that lol.

puglover

I'm not sure about this but in recent interviews I had gotten the feeling that elite skaters are not postponing serious demanding university study but are attempting to balance both. I remember a comment along the lines of incredible Katelyn O. made about Maddie S. and her ambitious program and Conrad as well. Not saying they are wrong as certainly the prospects to earn a living post skating career in the sport are greatly reduced. Just wondering if it might be a factor.

Also, it seems Own the Podium are still around and they certainly played a part in the success of Tessa and Scott leading up to 2010 and beyond. I don't hear much about them now. Anyone know?

kirkbiggestfan

Canada has a pair and a dance team that could win a world title at home and did everything they could not to promote them properly. The broadcast was unwatchable. Not getting tv rights should have been a wake up call.

Canada has trained media experts like Tracy Wilson but they let newly retired skaters use the platform as training grounds and it was complete amateurish broadcasting. The way the sport is presented matters. Someone like Anthony Paradis should have been tv gold material.

Wyliefan

Ubering juniors against my will
Canada has trained media experts like Tracy Wilson but they let newly retired skaters use the platform as training grounds and it was complete amateurish broadcasting.
I disagree. The commentators did very well. Kaitlyn and Kirsten in particular hit a nice balance between praise and critique and were able to offer the viewpoint of recent participants. I'd happily listen to them again.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
I expect the coverage to be the same for Worlds. We used to be able to hook our laptop up to the TV to watch skating on the bigger screen, but our new TV doesn't have a hook up for the laptop. Ironically, we got the new TV to have a bigger, better screen for FS.

Have to find a way to get access to the ISU stream for worlds (which CBC will block).

I've often said that CBC would destroy my love of FS, and I think it almost has. I don't care to watch on the computer and prefer to watch on the bigger screen with Mr. Japanfan, who won't watch on the computer. Watching FS is the closest we get to a date night.
I am no techie, but there must be a way to connect your laptop to the tv, esp if it's a newer tv. Is your laptop a mac? (I only know about macs). If it's a mac you can at the very least get a HDMI cable to connect the two. I'm sure there are also other ways. You just need to research it a bit. Here's a start using the HDMI cable method (because AFAIK it's the simplest)

Also the ISU feed probably won't be blocked in Canada if there's no CBC contract. I'm thinking worlds may be like SCI and Canadians - on dailymotion and CBC gem.

marbri

Hey, Kool-Aid!

I don't know if this is an option for you but you can get an apple tv 4K for about $200 CAD and then mirror it from a device to your tv (apple phone, ipad, mac ...) ? I do that for anything not on ISU youtube channel.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
If you have a smart TV (if it’s new, probably is) and a non-ancient laptop or even a smart phone, you don’t need cords in the majority of situations. You just cast the screen from either of those to the TV and let it play. Both devices just have to be on the same network.

There’s always this option available on YouTube, and in most other cases, it’s an option too.

Something that maybe it's time to consider based on some of the very good points raised above is how the system works.
It has been some years since I was familiar with the system (when we still had preliminary, junior bronze etc.. which I believe has all changed now). But what I think hasn't changed is when the kids move to private coaching?

It used to be you got group coaching through the CanSkate stages and then had to switch to private coaching. I think one thing to really consider, and it's a big change, is to continue group coaching like they do in a lot of European countries.

I have seen both versions and I do think there are benefits to skaters in the earlier stages when the whole session are working on the same spins, jumps etc... because those skaters are working all the time throughout their session. Compare that to the same 50 minute session where a skater the same age gets a 10 min private lesson and then often pisses about for the remaining 40 minutes.

That will help with the cost to parents and also they might be more willing to keep their kids in the sport if they see they are keeping busy for the full session. Keeping it the same means those without $$$ are just going to give up and put their kids in team sports. Running some sort of pilot project to try a more European approach in the developmental stages might just keep around some kids with less $$$ but more natural talent and see where it takes you.
The new star system does facilitate group lessons much longer and does basically what you’re suggesting.

Alilou

Ubercavorter
If you have a smart TV (if it’s new, probably is) and a non-ancient laptop or even a smart phone, you don’t need cords in the majority of situations. You just cast the screen from either of those to the TV and let it play. Both devices just have to be on the same network.

There’s always this option available on YouTube, and in most other cases, it’s an option too.
Yeah, I knew this - after yrs of HDMI I got Chromecast. Setting it up was the issue. HDMI I figured out myself no problem. To set up the Chromecast I needed young people in the house to throw up their hands in horror and make me go buy the Chromecast and then set it up for me. Having said that I know @Japanfan and Mr Japanfan to be intelligent people so I'm sure they can figure it out.

Last edited:

pat c

Why didn't CBC or CTV cover nats? It's an important competition and has been for many years. Our sat dish covers 10,000 different sports, but not winter sports per se. You can find curling and hockey, but not skiing, figure skating, speed skating. I can watch college football, but I can't watch a lot of winter sports. That matters. If kids/parents don't see it on tv they won't be interested.

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them
Yeah, I knew this - after yrs of HDMI I got Chromecast. Setting it up was the issue. HDMI I figured out myself no problem. To set up the Chromecast I needed young people in the house to throw up their hands in horror and make me go buy the Chromecast and then set it up for me. Having said that I know Japanfan and Mr Japanfan to be intelligent people so I'm sure they can figure it out.
But you often don’t even need a go-between or a $200 whatever was mentioned above. Smart TV and a smartphone or fully-functioning laptop (or even iPad)? You’re good.

If kids/parents don't see it on tv they won't be interested.
Again, most parents with kids you refer to have now LONG-moved away from network television or even having a cable subscription at all. It’s all streaming and especially social media these days, even for younger kids.

I think too many people keep giving emphasis on something that has been dead for a long time. I know not every person has moved on, but it’s like still catering to people who prefer the VCR at this point.

Winnipeg

I recall national competitions in the late 90s and early 2000s where ladies competition was who fell the least. It was sometimes more surprising when a jump was landed than the skater falling. This past competition was much better in that regard.

I do not know what to say about the men except it is worse now than before. No idea why.

As an aside, I do think more girls are going into hockey rather than FS (at least here in MB).

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
One of the things that I think it was Osmond and Barton who discussed was that the Canadian men no longer had a clear leader in front of them.

Messing was the front person who, based on his international placements supported by late starting orders due to GP’s and CS’s and 4C’s points, was the one expected to place high enough to keep or gain spots while number 2 (and maybe 3) started to work up the ranks. It’s pretty daunting anywhere to have little in terms of international reputation and WS points and to be expected to lead, and I don’t think that many skaters have the killer instinct that Plushenko and Moir had or Pizarrone has now.

Plus you have Skate Canada inexplicably enabling McLeod to continue to produce skaters with such crap technique that so blatantly and continually lets them down.

skatingguy

decently
Also the ISU feed probably won't be blocked in Canada if there's no CBC contract. I'm thinking worlds may be like SCI and Canadians - on dailymotion and CBC gem.
I'm certain the ISU feed for Worlds will be blocked in Canada. As you say, the competition will be available on DailyMotion, and probably steaming on the CBC app GEM, and the CBC website. Skate Canada controls the domestic rights to broadcast international events held in Canada, and because they don't have a viable broadcast partner they are doing it themselves.
Why didn't CBC or CTV cover nats? It's an important competition and has been for many years. Our sat dish covers 10,000 different sports, but not winter sports per se. You can find curling and hockey, but not skiing, figure skating, speed skating. I can watch college football, but I can't watch a lot of winter sports. That matters. If kids/parents don't see it on tv they won't be interested.
The CBC can't afford it, CTV (BellMedia), and Rogers don't want it. Also, last year's streaming number were better than the TV numbers so Skate Canada so the decision was made to go streaming only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information