Brisbane Is Awarded the 2032 Summer Games

Vagabond

Brisbane was the first city to win a summer bid under a new selection process that was overhauled in 2019 to discourage the organization from pitting cities against one another in expensive bidding wars.
As part of the new process installed two years ago, the I.O.C. created two panels to review potential cities and make recommendations to the organization’s board.

The ultimate selection of Brisbane, then, had felt all but assured since February, when the committee revealed the city was its “preferred partner,” thus initiating discussions about final details. The vote carried out by the I.O.C.’s membership on Wednesday was seen largely as a formality.

There will be a few wholly new permanent venues, but fewer than at some past Games.
Bring sunscreen.

Last edited:

Immortelle

Rejected by Krasnopolski
Judging by the weather over the past week, you might also want a warm jacket for the mornings! Tonight’s minimum 5 deg, feels like 2 deg…

MsZem

I see the sea
Doesn’t appear to be the plane for Brisbane. They are proposed to run from July 23rd to August 8th. Same dates as Tokyo.
Well, it'll be nice for the athletes not to have to deal with hot and muggy conditions. And Brisbane won't be too cold even in winter, right?

Vagabond

Well, it'll be nice for the athletes not to have to deal with hot and muggy conditions. And Brisbane won't be too cold even in winter, right?
Acccording to :sekret:, the Figure Skating events will take place at night on an outdoor rink. :cold:

Last edited:

Ananas Astra

Get woke, go broke!
Why was it announced so early, though?
Isn't the rule that the venue of the future games is decided 7 years in advance?

CantALoop

keeper of Rinka's isopod plushies
That was fast. They don't even have a home for the 2030 Winter Games yet :lol:

skatfan

Who is in line for the 2030 Olympics?
This article is one done before the pandemic. I’m sure Sapporo is out after Tokyo’s debacle. Salt Lake seems unlikely with LA for 2028. Maybe Lillehammer or Barcelona?

At least khazakstan seems off the table now.

Karen-W

How long do we have to wait for GP assignments?
This article is one done before the *********. I’m sure Sapporo is out after Tokyo’s debacle. Salt Lake seems unlikely with LA for 2028. Maybe Lillehammer or Barcelona?

At least khazakstan seems off the table now.
Vancouver is apparently considering a bid. Barcelona/Spain have indicated interest. I doubt Lillehammer or Oslo will be in the mix after the way the IOC treated Oslo during the 2022 bid process - which ultimately led them to drop out and left the IOC with Beijing and Almaty as their two options. I still wish they'd picked Almaty over Beijing, for a multitude of reasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information