Boring Facts About You

Cachoo

So it is windy and chilly this morning and I have so many “porridge” options. I went for some cream of wheat but it occurred to me that, in my long life, I’ve never tried grits or scrapple. I am not even sure of the ingredients.

skylark

So it is windy and chilly this morning and I have so many “porridge” options. I went for some cream of wheat but it occurred to me that, in my long life, I’ve never tried grits or scrapple. I am not even sure of the ingredients.
Did you find out? And did you try either one?

Rob

Beach Bum
My most boring talent is that I can hear leaks in pipes in the walls. Where I live, we sometimes have pinhole leaks in the pipes which are copper. They think the pinhole leaks are from the fluoride in the water. One day I could hear a faint hissing sound in the wall. My mother and my husband couldn’t hear it at all and thought I was crazy. We went out to dinner and came home and there was water all over the floor. Now when I hear hissing, my husband cuts the Sheetrock out and finds the leak right away. I can also hear those high-pitched mosquito repellent devices that only dogs are supposed to be able to hear.

Susan1

My most boring talent is that I can hear leaks in pipes in the walls. Where I live, we sometimes have pinhole leaks in the pipes which are copper. They think the pinhole leaks are from the fluoride in the water. One day I could hear a faint hissing sound in the wall. My mother and my husband couldn’t hear it at all and thought I was crazy. We went out to dinner and came home and there was water all over the floor. Now when I hear hissing, my husband cuts the Sheetrock out and finds the leak right away. I can also hear those high-pitched mosquito repellent devices that only dogs are supposed to be able to hear.
I have been told I have "dog ears". I hear too many sounds I don't want to hear. Whatever the hearing test ranges are, like 20/20 for eyes, my left ear was higher than the top range. It's not a good thing. It's very irritating. And painful sometimes.

Cachoo

Grits would be a safe option whether you end up liking it or not. Google scrapple ingredients before you try it. And then run screaming from the room. :scream:

Yuk! Somehow I thought scrapple was more related to porridge. I agree with you. I have not tried grits yet.

jadingirl

This was supposed to be a reply to Rob and Susan's dog ears but I guess i forgot to quote it. Sorry!

I'm glad I'm not the only one with this issue!
It's much better to have good hearing though in my opinion then to need hearing aids. My mom is stone deaf now without her hearing aids in.

Funny story - in The Hunger Games movie when Katniss blows up the cache and there is that awful high pitched sound of ringing in your ears both my daughter and I flinched and had to mute the movie but my husband couldn't hear it at all! He went to alot of concerts when he was a teen and raves too and I guess he has some hearing loss which he didn't even realize. Of course I can't get him to go get tested!

Susan1

As a hearing impaired person, I would certainly rather have the dog ears!
Yes, I agree. But my "dog ears" are like things that make dogs howl. I get pounding sounds deep inside my head talking on the phone. I can't turn up music I like because it feels like metal trash can lids crashing in my neck. I've been to several ENTs. They can see my eardrum, so nothing is wrong. Ha. I have deformed Eustachian tubes and something wrong with the carotid artery on the left side. I can't go to a neurologist now. It's not like I'm going to have surgery. My ear sounds like a distant car stereo base when I bend over too much or move fast. I was diagnosed with hydrocephalus in 1995, so it affects everything in that area. I haven't had an MRI since 1996. Every CT scan shows it's still there, but unchanged. Enough of this.

Susan1

Remember my description of a Hallmark Christmas movie plot for the person who had never seen one. Last night, I was watching a Rizzoli and Isles rerun that I didn't remember seeing before and saw a commercial for Christmas on Ice. The first showing is Friday at 8, so I was DVRing it for later and looked at the description. "a former figure skater tries to reignite joy in her community by organizing a Christmas carnival, and she finds herself falling for one of the benefactors". Hallmark, Lifetime, whatever, Christmas movie. ha ha

Aceon6

Wrangling the duvet into the cover
My most boring talent is that I can hear leaks in pipes in the walls.
I can hear air leaks in pneumatic machinery. My first job after grad school was in a manufacturing plant. Once a week, the head of maintenance and one other person had to do a sweep of the manufacturing floor to identify any issues. The bosses thought I should be exempt (I was the only female), but I insisted on taking my turn. I found more air leaks in my first survey than they had found in the previous five.

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
I made gnocchi for the first time today.

ETA:

Why? (Just curious.)
Also, how do you store them once they're caramelized? (Long term and short term.)
I totally missed this post. The onions were for French onion soup. I didn't need to store them but I'm pretty sure you can keep them in the refrigerator of freezer, depending on how long you're storing them for.

Last edited:

easilydistracte

Geezette
. . .
I totally missed this post. The onions were for French onion soup. I didn't need to store them but I'm pretty sure you can keep them in the refrigerator of freezer, depending on how long you're storing them for.
Thanks! French Onion Soup--yum! I was just curious because three and a half hours seemed like an awfully long time. I'd wondered whether you were making a batch or two of onion jam (which I've never had, btw).

Aerobicidal

Shut that door.
Thanks! French Onion Soup--yum! I was just curious because three and a half hours seemed like an awfully long time. I'd wondered whether you were making a batch or two of onion jam (which I've never had, btw).
I used a recipe from America's Test Kitchen--the onions went in the oven for a while and then I added and cooked off several batches of liquid. The soup was good but I would try a simpler recipe next time.

I like onion jam, but jams are in the category of things I would rather buy than make. On the other hand, I am always happy to make pickles!

hanca

Values her privacy
I think the onion jam is what is called here onion chutney. It is really good on cheese!

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information