Bids for ISU Championships 2021 & 2022; Provisional allotments in 2020/21

npavel

When did they change the rules? I was looking at the visa when the tickets for Europeans became available and my understanding was that it was just 5 days without visa?
they changed on July 24 -2018. I already had my tickets when I got the info. But as I went to Japan I could not take days off from work, so I didn't need that change. But I know someone who already had tickets, hotel and took his flight back living on Saturday morning and was unhappy. If he knew about that he definitively would have stayed until Sunday evening, but when it

DobrinFan

Provisional allotments of ISU Championships 2021 and 2022

Season 2020/21

ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held in Sydney, AUS on February 8-14, 2021
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Zagreb, CRO on April 8-10, 2021

Season 2021/22

ISU World Figure Skating Championships to be held in Montpellier, FRA on March 21-27, 2022
ISU European Figure Skating Championships to be held in Tallin, EST on January 10-16, 2022
ISU World Synchronized Skating Championships to be held in Hamilton, CAN on April 7-9, 2022

clairecloutier

So 2021 4CCs is Feb 8-14. I wonder if there is any hope of U.S. Nationals being pushed back a week that year to help accommodate. 4CCs is always challenging for the U.S. athletes as it is, and adding 10 more hours (right?) to the plane trip isn’t going to make it easier. ETA: Just to be clear, I am not saying U.S. athletes should not make the trip to 2021 4CCs, I absolutely think they should, if at all possible. It's just that it would be nice if USFS could adjust the Natls schedule to help deal with the challenge. (Otherwise, my fear is that our B team could be sent, as during Olympic years, which would be less than ideal.)

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
ISU Four Continents Figure Skating Championships to be held in Sydney, AUS on February 8-14, 2021
:eek: That was unexpected.

Well, February is a good time of year to be inside an ice rink away from the heat, but it will be climate shock for skaters coming from the depths of winter.

Vagabond

4CCs is always challenging for the U.S. athletes as it is, and adding 10 more hours (right?) to the plane trip isn’t going to make it easier.
I just looked up flight times from LAX to Sydney, Taipei (which has hosted four out of the past nine Four Continents Championships), and Montpellier (site of 2022 Worlds) on www.travelmath.com.

Flight time from LAX to Sydney: 15 hours, 28 minutes.
Flight time from LAX to Taipei: 14 hours, 5 minutes.
Flight time from LAX to Montpellier: 12 hours, 27 minutes.

:COP:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Brisbane hosted the World Junior Championships twice during the Australian Summer, and skaters from Russia didn't seem affected by the heat or humidity.

In fact, they swept the ladies' podium, and took gold in men's singles, dance, and pairs in 1996.

miffy

Bad Brit
Staff member
Congratulations Australia, great news :40beers:

I am sad GB didn’t get Euros :( I wonder if they will try again for another year.

Lchan

Oh, I am sad Euros did not go to Sheffield. My life does not allow travel for skating but Sheffield is close enough that I could have seen part of the competition. Oh well...

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
ISA just announced it'll be at the Sydney Olympic Park, so my guess is the Qudos Bank Arena (where they hold Disney on Ice).

Qudos Bank is a nice arena, there's loads of hotels in the area, and hopefully ISA have managed to swing it so the train runs direct to the city for the duration of the event.

sykr

Personally, I'm very upset they didn't give it to Bratislava. This is the second year in the row and I honestly can't see how could Montpellier be better, other than some internal lobby. Don't take me wrong, I actually love France and have been living there for some time, but the reality is their events are far from being well organized. And didn't they give up on organizing GPF this year? And weren't the last worlds in Nice actually scheduled initially in Montpellier? Bratislava might be less attractive as a city, but the fact is it would be reasonably priced ( I'm honestly shocked at the ticket prices lately), the accommodation is also very fine in Bratislava. From the point of view of the comfort of competitors, I have a hard time to imagine how it could be better. The arena is new and very modern, the practice rink and warm up area are in the same building. The official hotels are 3 minutes walking distance. They have organised Euros and recently Ice Hockey worlds...oh well, at least these are post-olympic worlds, so I don't have to be so upset not to go.

Btw. does anybody know which arena will host the Stockholm worlds? Any ideas in which part of the city to look for accommodation,...?
Many thanks :)

litenkyckling

Btw. does anybody know which arena will host the Stockholm worlds? Any ideas in which part of the city to look for accommodation,...?
Many thanks :)

I would imagine that Stockholm would hold Worlds in either Hovet, (Hovet is used by both AIK and Djurgårdens IF but it's actually very small), Ericsson Globe (used for 2015 Euros) or Tele2 Arena (which is where they have proposed to have the figure skating if they get the 2026 Olympic bid (I think)).

All of them are next door to each other. The nearest T-bana (underground) station is Globen and is right on the site. I've attended a couple of hockey games there in the past and it was very easy to navigate.

In terms of accommodation, it depends on how close you want to be. I think there are hotels very near, but in all honesty, the subway system is really great and easy to use (with only 3 different lines) and so as long as you are near a T station then you won't be far away. There are a few different areas in the city and I guess where you stay depends on what you're looking for! Gamla Stan is the old town (beautiful but expensive), Sodermalm is a more trendy, young area (and very close to the venue), Norrmalm is the city centre, Ostermalm is a posh area with fancy hotels and nice boats, and Vasastan has lots of cafes and parks (my personal favourite).

(Sorry this is so long! Stockholm is probably my favourite city in the whole world (outside my own city) and so I could talk about it at length - I usually only ever read FSU and don't post but my love for the city made me post 😅)

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
(Otherwise, my fear is that our B team could be sent, as during Olympic years, which would be less than ideal.)
I'd be happy either way, and won't be a factor in whether or not I go. Dance is at least eight deep that even a full B team is worth seeing, and, for me, even preferable. I don't think Nathan Chen will be able to take time off then anyway if he's still in school, and Men below top 3-4 are interesting skaters, most of whom won't be chosen for SA. There are so many US Pairs at pretty much the same level, along with some younger teams, and unless US Pairs beat the odds at 2020 Worlds, at least one Pair at 4C's will be the "B" team, and Ladies are Ladies.

I'm happy when the World Standings points get shared and when 4C's points aren't just overridden by Worlds WS points.

Last edited:

PRlady

Cowardly admin
Staff member
I'm truly happy for Australia, but given how long it is from the East Coast, I'm either going there from a couple of nice stops in Hawaii and SE Asia on a very long trip after retirement, or from Israel where I think it's about 12 hours. Not to mention the time difference watching it here, ugh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information