Best Canadian Male of all time?

Results wise, yep, but (and most of all) talent wise and impact wise, who's the best (or are the best) Canadian male figure skater(s) of all time and why? Don't be obvious, plz. ;)

screech

Patrick Chan - he has, IMO the best mastery of the blade of any skater. The way he can gain speed from anything and doesn't require crossovers or 'pushing'... Also, not to name names or bash other skaters, but having seen him compete live against other world champions and top names, there was absolutely no comparison in skating skills. If the other top skaters were getting 9-10 for skating skills, Patrick should have been getting 15s for his bladework. I could watch him just do basic stroking exercises for an hour, and would prefer watching that to a quad-filled program. So he is the best "skater" we have ever produced.

Kurt Browning is my other choice. Not for his actual skating (short, somewhat choppy crossovers, not the greatest spins, sometimes iffy jumps..) but for his showmanship. Kurt is, IMO, the best performer Canada has produced.

There's also others that have had impact in different ways. Brian is probably Canada's best skater-turned-coach. Jeff Buttle best male skater-turned-choreographer (who I think also had the best spins).

coppertop1

Patrick Chan - he has, IMO the best mastery of the blade of any skater. The way he can gain speed from anything and doesn't require crossovers or 'pushing'... Also, not to name names or bash other skaters, but having seen him compete live against other world champions and top names, there was absolutely no comparison in skating skills. If the other top skaters were getting 9-10 for skating skills, Patrick should have been getting 15s for his bladework. I could watch him just do basic stroking exercises for an hour, and would prefer watching that to a quad-filled program. So he is the best "skater" we have ever produced.

Kurt Browning is my other choice. Not for his actual skating (short, somewhat choppy crossovers, not the greatest spins, sometimes iffy jumps..) but for his showmanship. Kurt is, IMO, the best performer Canada has produced.

There's also others that have had impact in different ways. Brian is probably Canada's best skater-turned-coach. Jeff Buttle best male skater-turned-choreographer (who I think also had the best spins).

This. Having seen Patrick skate live, I don't think anyone compares. His speed and edge work are in a league of their own. I couldn't watch him all day do nothing but stroke around the ice.

Alilou

Ubercavorter

And I have to add that Elvis Stojko is the best competitor Canada has produced. If only Patrick had had even half of Elvis' steel will and focus.

screech

Since you also asked for impact, I can't believe I forgot to mention Don Jackson!!! Not only did he land the first (and possibly hugest ever!) triple lutz, but he also developed and founded Jackson figure skates (now Jackson Ultima), which started as a family company and is now probably the leading skate company in the competitive skating world. If not for him and his skates, who knows what would be of Nathan, Kaetlyn, Guillaume, Andrew Poje, and others, since the right skate can make a world of difference.

He underperformed, but at his best Sandhu was one of the most talented... :swoon:
True. Apparently Mishin and Plushenko felt that if Sandhu ever got his sh*t together, he'd be unbeatable, even by Plushenko. And you can tell the respect Plushenko had for him, since he's brought Sandhu to his skating academy for periods to help with dance classes and choreography, and has had Sandhu in his ice show a few times.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

I agree with all of the above. To me, Kurt will always be Skate God for Life, but Patrick is so naturally gifted that I have to put him all the way up there for everything except competitive nerve. I also was a gigantic Sandhu fan and was sad he never truly lived up to his full potential.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I'm a bit old school.

Some of my favourite male skaters from Canada were Brian Pockar, Gordon Forbes, Kevin Parker, Matthew Hall, Sebastien Britten, and Gary Beacom.

Beacom recently competed at the Adult International in Oberstdorf. His jaw-dropping edge work is still original and crazy as ever.

Last edited:

Japanfan

And I have to add that Elvis Stojko is the best competitor Canada has produced. If only Patrick had had even half of Elvis' steel will and focus.

ITA. Elvis thrived on competition and was able to rise to the occasion and deliver when it counts. He may not be the most highly decorated skater in Canada, but he'd be up there. Three world titles and a host of other medals is not too shabby.

For that reason, I'm reluctant to give Patrick the 'best of all time' title.

I'll add that Elvis was a tremendously tough and steely competitor. He skated his FS at the 1998 Olympics with a ripped groin. He was not able to land the quad, but he stayed on his feet and landed all his triples. He was barely able to walk after that skate and had to be helped to get to the KnC.

If I'm feeling in need of inspiration, I'll watch the skate and watch Elvis limping to the podium in his running shoes, to collect his silver medal.

I really miss Elvis. He was one of a kind, and SFAIK there has been no one quite like him since he left competition. There have been and are many athletic male skaters, of course, but not on par with Elvis (i.e Kevin Vanderpants).

I agree that Patrick had the best mastery of the blade of any Canadian skater - if fact, the among skaters throughout the world.

He did deliver several stunning clean performances, but he was also plagued by inconsistency. He's often make silly mistakes. For example, IIRC he made a mistake on a double axel during his 2014 Olympics FS. I could be wrong and it could be a different error, but I clearly remember thinking that the gold had been handled to Patrick on a silver platter (pun intentional), and he blew it.

In the latter half of his career, I was always nervous watching Patrick, just waiting for him to make a few mistakes.

I don't think Patrick enjoyed competing, as Stojko did. Stojko was also exciting, IMO. Patrick was also exciting when he was clean and on, but those occasions were rare.

I wasn't watching FS when Kurt was competing, and have never really care much for him as a performer, although I do recognize that he is a brilliant one. Just not my cup of tea, I guess.

So I can't comment on Kurt's skills, but SFAIK he always very deft on the blade.

My sense is that Kurt is Canada's best skater, but that view could be interviewed by his longevity as a performer and his long-term involvement in the sport.

Don't forget Toller Cranston. Best Canadian artist on the ice ever, and one of the best artists on ice of all ice.

Last edited:

Japanfan

He underperformed, but at his best Sandhu was one of the most talented... :swoon:

True. Apparently Mishin and Plushenko felt that if Sandhu ever got his sh*t together, he'd be unbeatable, even by Plushenko.

But Sandhu did not.

It's hard to think of any skater as balletic as Sandhu in Canada, perhaps anywhere. But due to his consistent failure to deliver, he's not the best ever in Canada IMO.

ngcskate

I'm a bit old school.

Some of my favourite male skaters from Canada were Brian Pockar, Gordon Forbes, Kevin Parker, Matthew Hall, Sebastien Britten, and Gary Beacom.

Beacom recently competed at the Adult International in Oberstdorf. His jaw-dropping edge work is still original and crazy as ever.

Someone who remembers Matthew Hall...gotta love it!

Canada has been very fortunate with world class male skaters. I would say Toller, Don Jackson, Brian and Kurt deserve to be top of the heap for being innovative and challenging skaters that followed to push themselves to be better. But at the same time, Brian Pockar pushed Brian Orser and Gary Beacom, Kurt and Elvis challenged each other, Jeffery challenged the sport by performing artistically and it goes on. We have some amazing guys on the scene now and I can't wait to see what they accomplish in the next four years.

alj5

Patrick Chan, Toller Cranston, and Kurt Browning in some order depending on what program I've seen recently and how I'm feeling that day.

If I could only watch one program from any of these men, it would 100% be Nyah by Kurt Browning.

Habs

A bitch from Canada
Kurt Browning, always and forever. Medal count and world championships aside, I love how he started his career as a pure technician - first quad, the triple-triples in Munich, etc. - but really developed into an artistic performer. He had everything. Greatest of all time, IMHO.

Patrick Chan is second only to Kurt. He's a generational talent.

I think Brian Orser was one of the greats as an amateur competitor, and he has translated that beautifully into a coaching career.

As stated, Elvis Stojko was the best competitor Canada ever produced.

On the more obscure side, I loved Sebastien Britten. He's one of my what ifs - what if he had been able to master a triple axel? He was mesmerizing to watch.

Spun Silver

He did deliver several stunning clean performances, but he was also plagued by inconsistency. He's often make silly mistakes. For example, IIRC he made a mistake on a double axel during his 2014 Olympics FS. I could be wrong and it could be a different error, but I clearly remember thinking that the gold had been handled to Patrick on a silver platter (pun intentional), and he blew it.
Joannie Rochette even said that about him. Likely re:that very event but I don't recall.

(I did NOT write Rochester! Stupid autocorrect.)

Alilou

Ubercavorter
To this day I remember from the 2010 Olys that if Patrick had done one more 2A and if Joannie had done one more 2A he would have had gold and she would have had silver.

I especially remember Joannie - all season she'd been doing a 2A-2A sequence near the end of her program. At the Olys she had a slightly wonky landing on the 1st 2A so didn't do the second. Probably almost no one knew or noticed, but I was expecting it so knew right away that she'd left it out. That 2nd 2A would have given her the silver.

I think with Patrick if he'd just done another 2A or a 2A instead of his last (failed) jump he'd have had gold.

So frustrating - for this fan anyway :duh:

VGThuy

Puh-leeze.

Toller.

Without whom there would be no Patrick Chan. Or Elvis Stojko even. Or Brian Orser. Or Kurt Browning. Or menā€™s skating as we know it, Canadian or otherwise....

I was waiting for someone to mention Toller. I feel that he has been the most influential overall in a huge group of influential Canadian male skaters.

Sylvia

TBD
So which 9 Canadian men should be listed in a poll thread along with 'Other'?

Donald Jackson should be one of the choices.

gkelly

Is the poll for singles skaters only, based on the quality of their skating (room for debates) or competitive results (more objective)?

If so, I think it would need to include Jackson, Cranston, Orser, Browning, Stojko, Buttle, and Chan. That's 7.

Donald McPherson (also a world champion)?
Vern Taylor (first triple axel)?
Gary Beacom (for reasons already mentioned in this thread)?
Emanuel Sandhu (ditto)?

That's too many, and I'm sure we can come up with a few more potential candidates. Hold a preliminary poll to decide who else to include in the main poll?

If it's for male skaters who achieved good results and/or influenced the sport in all disciplines and/or as coaches etc., then the possibilities multiply and some world champs may get left out.

manhn

Who else is more decorated than Elvis? 3 World titles, 2 silvers, 2 silver Olympic medals.

Brian Orser is not getting enough rep. His results may suggest otherwise, but his performances were of generally high quality that probably could have garnered him more titles. His 88 Olympic performance is not exactly a disappointment like Chan in 14.

screech

Very true about Brian. His SP and FP were usually marked highly (1 or 2), but it was compulsory figures to hold him back. If not for figures, he would have easily won the 1984 Olympics (he won both the SP and FP). And also, if the scoring change of the presentation mark being the tie breaker in the FP had come into play just a year earlier, he would have won in 88 too (lost by 5/4 split. If presentation mark was the tie-breaker he would have won 6/3).

Furthermore, he was the second man to ever land the triple axel (79 at Canadians at the junior level) and is the one who made it basically a requirement, including (and landing) it more frequently and consistently than any other skater.

And speaking for impact, he has coached 2 skaters to Olympic gold, one to bronze, and another to gold in the team event. In addition to multiple world medals as well. Nobody can say that Brian hasn't left a mark on the sport!

AND he has an Emmy Award to boot.

Last edited:

dramagrrl

On the more obscure side, I loved Sebastien Britten. He's one of my what ifs - what if he had been able to master a triple axel? He was mesmerizing to watch.
I think Sebastien would have had a career much like Jeff Buttle's if he had been able to master the triple axel. Jeff was never at the height of technical difficulty and had the same issue mastering a quad, but was still able to capitalize on his artistry and pure skating skills. I thought Sebastien had many similar qualities and would have loved to see what he could have done if he hadn't had so much trouble with the 3A.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information