Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrea82

She looked really pleased with her skate, and the score, too.

Craine is such an entertaining skater to watch when she is on. In a lot of ways, she reminds me of Evgenia Medvedeva and Elizabeth Manley combined.

From the camera angle on screen, I really didn't think the second loop looked underrotated.

Was Shin Amano on the panel, perhaps?

Not for Women. He is on the Men panel.

skatingguy

decently
Hmmm..

I really thought that Holly Harris and Jason Chan deserved to be closer to the 70 point mark with that skate.
It's hard without the technical tracker to tell what sort of levels they're getting from their performance, or how hard the technical panel is being on key points. Usually this point of the season they are really strict, and of course, IAM doesn't have the best track record on key points, particularly early in the season.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It's hard without the technical tracker to tell what sort of levels they're getting from their performance, or how hard the technical panel is being on key points. Usually this point of the season they are really strict, and of course, IAM doesn't have the best track record on key points, particularly early in the season.
Thanks for the heads-up.

Orm Irian

And that's one (1) Olympic spot for Australia won by Mr Brendan Kerry, congrats to him! I see Hektor and Anastasia pulled up well in their free, which is great. I hope they didn't feel too disappointed with their first international senior results. It was a big ask for a new team to qualify a place against that standard of competition and with only 3 places available to win, but they gave it their very best shot, and their overall score was not to be sneezed at.

Best of luck to the Aussies skating tonight!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Proud of Brendan, who despite a...sub-optimal, shall we say, free skate, never stopped fighting for it including an insane last-minute 3A when he was clearly exhausted. Spot confirmed, we'll see you in Finlandia next week.

Three Olympics, and three such different stories for him each time.

Anastasia and Hektor were very good last night. A few mistakes but that was hardly unusual - the ice seemed cursed! They have a lot of promise. I'm really excited to see how they develop. I think we see them at Finlandia next week too. Their chance for a spot here was always pretty slim - there were only three spots - so I hope they are not too upset about not getting it.

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Proud of Brendan, who despite a...sub-optimal, shall we say, free skate, never stopped fighting for it including an insane last-minute 3A when he was clearly exhausted. Spot confirmed, we'll see you in Finlandia next week.

Three Olympics, and three such different stories for him each time.

Anastasia and Hektor were very good last night. A few mistakes but that was hardly unusual - the ice seemed cursed! They have a lot of promise. I'm really excited to see how they develop. I think we see them at Finlandia next week too. Their chance for a spot here was always pretty slim - there were only three spots - so I hope they are not too upset about not getting it.
Finlandia is in 2 weeks. The Challenger event that was supposed to be next week, Nepela Trophy, was canceled earlier in the summer.

Anastasia and Hektor won't be at Finlandia - they're assigned to their 2nd JGP that weekend, in Austria. Hopefully they will be assigned to one of the later Challenger events so they can get their Worlds SP TES min. They have the Euros/4CCs/Olympics TES min in the SP and the Worlds FS TES min after Nebelhorn.

(And hopefully, we'll have a relocated 4CCs this January for them to attend.)

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Finlandia is in 2 weeks. The Challenger event that was supposed to be next week, Nepela Trophy, was canceled earlier in the summer.

Anastasia and Hektor won't be at Finlandia - they're assigned to their 2nd JGP that weekend, in Austria. Hopefully they will be assigned to one of the later Challenger events so they can get their Worlds SP TES min. They have the Euros/4CCs/Olympics TES min in the SP and the Worlds FS TES min after Nebelhorn.

(And hopefully, we'll have a relocated 4CCs this January for them to attend.)
Bzzt. Hello, lack of sleep on my brain. :lol:

Thanks for the corrections. I believe we'll see them again - and they can stay overseas for longer now, too, with Nationals cancelled.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
:cheer2:This is great news! I confess I thought there was a better than even chance of us having no spots at the Olympics, so having two is really excellent.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

:cheer2:This is great news! I confess I thought there was a better than even chance of us having no spots at the Olympics, so having two is really excellent.
Yes, it was very close. Brendan and Kailani gave it their all in their respective short programs, and looked absolutely exhausted in their free skates. Too bad dance is so political. I thought that Holly and Jason deserved a much higher result.

Our pair team look really promising for what was essentially their first senior international competition together.

Marco

Congrats to both! A bit of a carot galore for Kailani in the free but she has 4 more months to make her jumps around. If she repeats her Nebelhorn short program at the Olympics, she will be looking to qualify for the free. Good luck and work hard, Kailani!

GF2445

It was sort of a mix of getting screwed by the panel + not having the same level yet of speed, power and intricacy.
2022 was going to be a stretch- 2026 will be their time

Orm Irian

Darian Kaptich and James Min will be skating in the Senior Men's SP at Trophee Nice Metropole tonight. Good luck to them!

tony

Throwing the (rule)book at them

Andrea82

Accoring to ISA International Assignments page, the schedule for Australian skatters until the end of 2021 is

Volvo Cup: Vlada Vasiliev (Junior)
Ice Challenge-Cup of Austria: Young/Lewar (entered in both Junior and Senior events. Don't know if they really plan to do both or they will withdraw from one once there)
Warsaw Cup: Jordan Dodds, Young/Lewar, Harris/Chan
Open d'Andorra: Jordan Dodds, Nette/Westwood, Harris/Chan, Kerry/Dodds
Santa Claus Cup: Harris/Chan, Nette/Westwood
Golden Spin: Kerry, Craine, Alcantara, Young/Lewar, Moore/Golubeva
Winter Universiade: Grogan
Open Belarus Cup: Young/Lewar (again both Jr and Sr)

It seems Kaptich doesn't have any more chances to stay in contention for 4CCs, unless he is added to some late November/December events (deadlines for December competitions are not expired yet and many of the minor events usually accept late entries anyway).

Good to see the dance teams going head to head in Andorra after the close result in Finlandia. Kerry/Dodds were not originally planned but the organizers accepted a third Australian entry (original rule was 2 entries for Federation).

Sylvia

TBD
Screen Australia's Nov. 3rd press release:
Harley & Katya: A feature documentary from Blayke Hoffman and Stranger Than Fiction about Indigenous Australian figure skater Harley Windsor, who was the poster boy for the Australian Winter Olympic Team. Paired with Russian skater Katya Alexandrovskaya, this unlikely duo achieved unprecedented success on the ice before meeting with great tragedy. This film follows Harley on a journey of triumph, loss and transformation. Writer/director Selina Miles (Martha: A Picture Story) teams up with producers Blayke Hoffman (Viva the Underdogs), Jo-anne McGowan (Mountain) and Aaliyah-Jade Bradbury, and executive producer Jennifer Peedom (Sherpa). The project is supported by Screen NSW and will be distributed internationally by MGM/K2.

Orm Irian

Looks like Harley and his new partner Maria Chernyshova will be competing for the first time at Golden Spin of Zagreb on 7-11 December, alongside Anastasia Golubeva and Hektor Giotopoulos Moore.

(Speaking of whom, was I the only person who got annoyed with Ted Barton for calling him just 'Hektor Moore' on the JGP commentary? Giotopoulos is not a difficult name, Ted, it's just Greek.)

Orm Irian

Happy to see that Hektor and Anastasia got a good season's best score in the FS and overall at Golden Spin! I haven't been able to track down videos of their two programs yet but am hoping they'll show up eventually, somewhere in the wilds of YouTube.

So to date Brendan, Kailani, Holly and Jason, Chantelle and Andrew, and Hektor and Anastasia have their FCC and Worlds TES minimums, is that correct? Harley and Maria got their FCC minimums at Golden Spin, but not Worlds. Darian has the SP minimums for FCC but not the FS. I think India and Eron haven't got either yet. What about Jamie, Jordan etc?

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
Happy to see that Hektor and Anastasia got a good season's best score in the FS and overall at Golden Spin! I haven't been able to track down videos of their two programs yet but am hoping they'll show up eventually, somewhere in the wilds of YouTube.

So to date Brendan, Kailani, Holly and Jason, Chantelle and Andrew, and Hektor and Anastasia have their FCC and Worlds TES minimums, is that correct? Harley and Maria got their FCC minimums at Golden Spin, but not Worlds. Darian has the SP minimums for FCC but not the FS. I think India and Eron haven't got either yet. What about Jamie, Jordan etc?
According to the ISU TES Mins lists:

James Min and Jordan Dodds both have the 4CCs mins and they've both competed this season. Men
Victoria Alcantara has the 4CCs mins. Women
Pairs hasn't been updated since last week, but you're correct that Maria & Harley got the 4CCs mins at Golden Spin.

Hopefully, Australia will have a nice sized team at 4CCs next month with 3 men, 2 women, 2 pairs and 3 dance teams. :)

Sylvia

TBD
Croos-posting the news of 2022 4CC team here (also added to the Kiss & Cry thread for 4CC) - thanks for the heads up, @aussieSKATES!:
Ice Skating Australia announced their athletes going to the event earlier today. The fifteen-strong team will be the country's largest contingent ever in the history of the championship.
... the event is going to be used as qualification for Olympic & World Team selection as well.
MEN'S SINGLES
Jordan Dodds
Brendan Kerry
James Min

WOMEN'S SINGLES
Victoria Alcantara
Kailani Craine

PAIRS
Maria Chernyshova & Harley Windsor
Anastasia Golubeva & Hektor Giotopoulos Moore

ICE DANCE
Holly Harris & Jason Chan
Chantelle Kerry & Andrew Dodds
India Nette & Eron Westwood

"Some of the athletes will be competing for final selection to the Olympic Winter Games in Beijing and the final opportunity for selection scores for ISU World Championships in Montpellier, France."

Link: https://www.facebook.com/iceskatingaus/posts/6869179599788644

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information