Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarrAargHrumph

I can kill you with my brain
Do you think that Harley will be able to continue to skate for Australia, or will he need to move countries in order to realistically find a partner and skate?

Colonel Green

Do you think that Harley will be able to continue to skate for Australia, or will he need to move countries in order to realistically find a partner and skate?
On the contrary, changing countries would be a terrible idea, as far as finding a partner goes. There are all kinds of aspiring pair girls in big feds who have minimal prospects of major international assignments. Teaming up with Harley bypasses all that -- as long as you can get citizenship for the Olympics, especially, but since Katia was able to do that, not really a concern.

Orm Irian

I think it is incredibly unlikely that Harley would change his citizenship, but he's shown he's willing to train internationally and that might help.

Marco

Is Brooklee Han still training pairs? She is Aussie - there is no citizenship issue and they can represent AUS right away. :p

greenapple

Brooklee Han was never "training" pairs. She had a try out with Mervin Tran years ago but he opted to skate with Marissa Castelli.

She is now working on getting the dance levels to compete in the adult category and is also attending university. She might/could be persuaded to give it one more shot if there was funding.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Brooklee's got her dances. The issue might be the jumps since it was her Achilles that ended things. I wonder if she could be persuaded, though - she's absolutely tiny, had nice jumps, great artistry, and no citizenship issues.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Brooklee's got her dances. The issue might be the jumps since it was her Achilles that ended things. I wonder if she could be persuaded, though - she's absolutely tiny, had nice jumps, great artistry, and no citizenship issues.
She may not have the pairs girl gene which turns off the bit of the brain which says being flung across the ice/into the air is a terrible idea. ;)

Sad to hear about Harley and Katia, but they can be very proud of their skating achievements and that they pushed through the 'small country glass ceiling' of the skating world.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I believe while she was training with Peter and Darlene Cain in Texas, that Brooklee Han tried a few pair elements with her training-mate, Timothy Dolensky. I don't think it was anything more than casual fun, although they looked very good together.

starrynight

I hope the current state of the world won't stop Harley Windsor from finding a partner for the 2022 Olympics.

It's going to be the Olympic season before we even know it.

How badly injured was Alexandrovskaya? After the time off the ice, part of me even wonders if she might be improved and could be asked nicely to make a come back. Probably wishful thinking.

starrynight

With how tight the timeline is, I think 2022 is a challenge unless the new partner is already an Australian citizen.

Alexandrovskaya's citizenship got expressed through very quickly, though. I'd like to imagine that if a good partnership was formed the same could happen for 2022.

But that's probably step 2 - the partner is needed first. I have no idea if there is an Australian lady available who would skate pairs.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I hope the current state of the world won't stop Harley Windsor from finding a partner for the 2022 Olympics.

It's going to be the Olympic season before we even know it.

How badly injured was Alexandrovskaya? After the time off the ice, part of me even wonders if she might be improved and could be asked nicely to make a come back. Probably wishful thinking.
Yes wishful thinking.

misskarne

Alexandrovskaya's citizenship got expressed through very quickly, though. I'd like to imagine that if a good partnership was formed the same could happen for 2022.

Hold up. Katia's citizenship process started in 2016 - eighteen months out from the Olympics. It was also put on the fast track because Katia and Harley won a JGP and then won Junior Worlds - as in, they proved they were world-quality and that giving her citizenship would boost prospects for 2018. We are already less than two years out from the next OWG. To repeat the citizenship feat Harley and his new partner would basically need to medal at 4CC 2021. They don't fast-track just every athlete who applies.

Orm Irian

I have no idea if there is an Australian lady available who would skate pairs.

I was wondering the other day if Amelia Jackson might be interested in trying it, but then I remembered she's had quite a few injuries, and pairs might seem too risky for her - in the event that she's even contemplated it at all.

synchrogirl17

I was wondering the other day if Amelia Jackson might be interested in trying it, but then I remembered she's had quite a few injuries, and pairs might seem too risky for her - in the event that she's even contemplated it at all.

Amelia is pretty tall for a skater. I can see her in dance, but not pairs.

misskarne

That's one of the reasons I thought of her, actually - Harley's also quite tall for a skater!

Not for a pairs man. Amelia's way too tall for Harley.

In more cheering news, Harley, Matilda and William were back on the ice for the first time this morning according to Matilda's instagram stories. :)

Harley also posted on his insta stories that he was back on. I've been green with envy all day.

Sylvia

TBD
I posted before Australian Nationals:
Campbell Young (born 12/12/05) & Tremayne Bevan are the new Junior pair listed for Nationals. She competed & placed 6th in Novice at 2019 U.S. Nationals with Mikhail Gumba (now Johnson & paired with Winter Deardorff in Junior).
Young/Bevan scored 87.26 total as the only Junior pair that competed this past December (Larry Ibarra was with them at Nationals).

@insideedgeua recently mentioned in the U.S. Pairs thread that Campbell Young and Ryan Dodds are training together in Colorado Springs and could be a new team for Australia? (ETA): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...ws-updates-part-x.105722/page-48#post-5813260

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
For those interested in such things, reports from ISA's Annual General Meeting (held virtually this past Sunday) are available to read:
Excerpt from the 4CC 2021 Report:
We recognise that there are still challenges to face with the ongoing COVID-19 health crisis however, the ISU
have never wavered in their commitment to hold this event in Australia. Moving forward, we will work with the
Australian and NSW Governments to find viable solutions to manage the COVID-19 risk associated with running
an international event during this time.
We have drafted a COVID-19 Risk Mitigation plan which will be developed further once ISU have determined
their processes and we talk to the NSW Government given the constantly changing guidelines.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Unfortunately we had to hold the AGM by ZOOM was most of us cannot still travel around. Usually there would be the meeting and then the rest of the day is discussion about a number of items. It can be a really positive experience. This time was just presentation of reports and voting on officials which was pretty straightforward.

Still it opens up the opportunity for a different way of doing things using the technology we have at available. I am looking forward to it. I know for my area I am going to use it.

misskarne

The unevenness of the opening up of the states is going to be an issue also, particularly as regards Nationals which obviously is much closer than 4CC. Not sure if Victoria's rinks are open yet (though I imagine they'll be closing again if so), the ACT's rink is under renovation and won't be open til September-November...I know NSW is trying to get some comps in before NSW State Champs but interstate travel is still a bit iffy right now.

4CC may be in a better place than the GP, but if the US skaters can't come that'll be a big disappointment and problem. Although at this rate, allowing any skaters in is a problem!

If the Australian Open goes ahead we may have an argument - but that's going to be very late to pull the trigger (and also a sport where a large number of athletes have proven themselves disgustingly irresponsible).

Orm Irian

The unevenness of the opening up of the states is going to be an issue also, particularly as regards Nationals which obviously is much closer than 4CC. Not sure if Victoria's rinks are open yet (though I imagine they'll be closing again if so), the ACT's rink is under renovation and won't be open til September-November...I know NSW is trying to get some comps in before NSW State Champs but interstate travel is still a bit iffy right now.

4CC may be in a better place than the GP, but if the US skaters can't come that'll be a big disappointment and problem. Although at this rate, allowing any skaters in is a problem!

If the Australian Open goes ahead we may have an argument - but that's going to be very late to pull the trigger (and also a sport where a large number of athletes have proven themselves disgustingly irresponsible).

I thought IceArenA would have got the nod to reopen a while back, but it took forever (though they've apparently been using the time to renovate/redecorate, just like my dentist!). They're reopening on 6 July though, and at full capacity too. Does anyone know how WA is doing?

Aussie Willy

I thought IceArenA would have got the nod to reopen a while back, but it took forever (though they've apparently been using the time to renovate/redecorate, just like my dentist!). They're reopening on 6 July though, and at full capacity too. Does anyone know how WA is doing?
I heard that Xtreme Ice in WA has closed down. I am not aware of any other rinks that have had to close.

Hobart reopened today after redoing the pipes and ice and a bit of a paint job. And they removed the iconic basketball rings :)

Olympic in Melbourne has undergone massive renovations and is yet to open. Hopefully won't be too long. But it should look as good as new when done. They got over $70K from a go fund me campaign and have put a hell of a lot of work into getting well overdue works done, including redoing the pipes, putting in a dehumidifier, insulation the roof, repairing and new sheeting on the barriers, painting, etc.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Four Continents may be seven months away, but a decision whether to go ahead (or not) really needs to be made soon.

After all, considerations that have probably been locked in place such as tv rights, corporate sponsorship, housing the athletes and their coaching teams, merchandise, and event advertising, are all a pretty big deal. What should have been a fairly straightforward process, must be a headache and a half for both the ISU, ISA, and the NSW Govt.

Tickets haven't even gone on sale yet, which can't be good.

Here's hoping organisers at least give fans a reasonable heads-up (if they need to cancel), unlike this year's F1 Grand Prix, which pulled the plug with people literally lining up outside the gate waiting to come in.

I'm thinking the writing is pretty much on the wall,TBH.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information