Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
I’ve started a thread in the Kiss & Cry section for 2020-21 Australian domestic competitions using @sammyf’s links: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/threads/australian-competitions-2020-21-season.107440/

@insideedgeua recently mentioned in the U.S. Pairs thread that Campbell Young and Ryan Dodds are training together in Colorado Springs and could be a new team for Australia?
Young (age 14, will be 15 in Dec.) and Ryan Dodds (youngest, at 24, of the 4 Dodds skating brothers), are scheduled to compete a Junior Pairs SP at Cup of Colorado next week. Ryan last competed pairs internationally with Jessica Rotondo in 2016, AFAIK: http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00054968.htm

Brendan posted a photo with Florent Amodio in the Vaujany rink on Instagram earlier today (“Big things in the works”): https://www.instagram.com/p/CDmPbBZJSWK/?igshid=x27eehnzhini

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ @hanca, in the U.S. there are no maximum age limits to compete pairs at the novice/junior/senior levels domestically. I assume this is the case for junior pairs in Australia as well.
Young/Dodds are scheduled to compete both programs in a Colorado Springs club comp. on Sept. 11-12.

Copying over from another thread:
[Kerry is] an invited participant at the Masters de Patinage, which will run from 1 to 3 October at Villard-de-Lans this year.
Photos via the Amodio Academy in Vaujany, France of Brendan Kerry showing us his emotional side with his new short program, skating to "I Will Leave The Light On" (by Tom Walker, I assume, and choreographed by Florent Amodio): https://www.instagram.com/p/CEo1FmPoFR9/

Casual 4S to 3A sequence in practice: https://www.instagram.com/p/CERoYWPIjJF/

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Victorian State Championships have been cancelled this year and Victoria won't be sending a team. Except skaters who have a score or something from last year will be able to apply to compete. Victoria rinks are still closed at this point in time.

Probably for the best. Olympic is being renovated, and The Icehouse and IceHQ haven't been open at all during this second the lockdown.

I wonder how the junior lady, Chloe Di Gemma was allowed to compete at several NSW competitions. Perhaps she was training interstate at the time.

Holly Harris and Jason and Jason Chan will likely get a bye to international events as the 2019/20 National Senior Dance Champions. They are currently training in Montreal. Here's hoping they are considered for Skate Canada if it goes ahead, too.

Orm Irian

I thought Victoria's borders were shut.

He must have sought special permission, or did he hide in the trunk of someone's car?

As he's a South Australian, he would have been able to request special permission, present the paperwork for it at the border, and complete a 14-day quarantine.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
As he's a South Australian, he would have been able to request special permission, present the paperwork for it at the border, and complete a 14-day quarantine.
Thanks for clarifying. Good to get the facts. It is like someone can get permission to come to Tasmania and go into quarantine for 14 days at their own expense.

I want to get back to the mainland to see my father who is a nursing home. I could go through SA but as I would have to venture into NSW and Victoria to do it (he is near Mildura), I would have to go into hotel quarantine when I got back at my own expense.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Thank you for clarifying that. Hope James can salvage his season nationally, even if competing overseas this season may not be possible.

CV-19 is really going to put a spanner in selection for Four Continents should it go ahead, that's for sure.

Orm Irian

Thank you for clarifying that. Hope James can salvage his season nationally, even if competing overseas this season may not be possible.

CV-19 is really going to put a spanner in selection for Four Continents should it go ahead, that's for sure.

It's also possible, of course, that he made it back before the strongest border closures happened, but I'm not clear enough on the timelines to say anything with certainty.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

It's also possible, of course, that he made it back before the strongest border closures happened, but I'm not clear enough on the timelines to say anything with certainty.

James is definitely in with a shot of making the Four Continents team again. Glad that he has home ice to practice on.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
I want to get back to the mainland to see my father who is a nursing home. I could go through SA but as I would have to venture into NSW and Victoria to do it (he is near Mildura), I would have to go into hotel quarantine when I got back at my own expense.
I am the opposite way around. I haven't visited my parents, who are in Hobart, in 18 months, but I would have to quarantine in Tassie before I could even see them. It's just not practical, but I wouldn't want to do it without quarantine as they are in their eighties and it would be too much of a risk. But I don't expect to see them this year and probably longer. I'd rather they were safe on the other side of the moat!

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
My sister's in Melbourne and all the family are NSW/ACT. We video called with the grandparents because she doesn't expect to be home for Christmas.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

In light of having to pull the plug on the state titles, I found it interesting that ISV is asking for cancellation (or postponement) of the national championships as well.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
I am the opposite way around. I haven't visited my parents, who are in Hobart, in 18 months, but I would have to quarantine in Tassie before I could even see them. It's just not practical, but I wouldn't want to do it without quarantine as they are in their eighties and it would be too much of a risk. But I don't expect to see them this year and probably longer. I'd rather they were safe on the other side of the moat!
Yes we are feeling pretty safe here. Dad has dementia, hence why I want to get over there.

misskarne

In light of having to pull the plug on the state titles, I found it interesting that ISV is asking for cancellation (or postponement) of the national championships as well.

I can see their point. QLD seem quite happy to keep their border shut (as is their right), and if that happens then they can't be held in Brisbane. Doing it all by video link seems dicey - even the test event next week has pre-filmed submissions rather than live performances.

Plus, there are likely to be two states/territories who are unable to send teams.

misskarne

Not a surprise. Between the border closures, the unevenness of different states/territories having access to ice, and the total uncertainty of what will happen next, it was just too difficult.

Massively bummed out, though.

Orm Irian

R u going to watch the IAM live on Friday? Can't wait to see my fav. team there & also want to see Holly & Jason

It starts at 2:30 am, so no way on this earth will I be watching it live. Saturday morning in bed with a cup of tea, though, I'll be catching up with Fear/Gibson and Papadakis/Cizeron for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information