Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Well he had a pretty good run! And he is really suited to ice dance as well :)

Sad to hear that Andrew Dodds is retiring from singles' competition. No wonder his coach looked so upset in the kiss and cry earlier today.

I wonder if this means his younger brother, Jordan, will be considered for Four Continents in February. Darian Kaptich, who placed above both skaters in third, has not done any senior international events at this stage (nor is he scheduled to), either. I believe he is training towards the World Junior Championships instead.

Sylvia

TBD
Sad to hear that Andrew Dodds is retiring from singles' competition. No wonder his coach looked so upset in the kiss and cry earlier today.
Andrew thanked his longtime coach which was very nice to see:
His initial tweet:

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I wonder if this means his younger brother, Jordan, will be considered for Four Continents in February. Darian Kaptich, who placed above both skaters in third, has not done any senior international events at this stage (nor is he scheduled to), either. I believe he is training towards the World Junior Championships instead.

I think it's quite possible that will happen. Jordan already has the minimums and Darian does not, although he could probably get them before 4CC. I'll be pleased for Jordan if so; 4CC has been his goal for a long time and he's had several excruciatingly near misses.

I expect this will confuse a few of our international friends even more than Andrew double-dipping, though. :lol:

sammyf

I think it's quite possible that will happen. Jordan already has the minimums and Darian does not, although he could probably get them before 4CC. I'll be pleased for Jordan if so; 4CC has been his goal for a long time and he's had several excruciatingly near misses.

I expect this will confuse a few of our international friends even more than Andrew double-dipping, though. :lol:
Do you know how FCC team is picked? Charlton Doherty is ahead of Jordan on the ranking document. Does he have the mins?

Sylvia

TBD
The only AUS men currently with the ISU mins. for 4CC (28 SP / 46 FS) are Kerry, Min, Andrew & Jordan Dodds.

misskarne

Do you know how FCC team is picked? Charlton Doherty is ahead of Jordan on the ranking document. Does he have the mins?

It'll be on who has the minimums - they could send Charlton out, but I don't know if they will.

EDIT:

Jordan literally just tweeted that he's going to 4CC. I'm so thrilled for him.

Sylvia

TBD
I loved Victoria Alcantara, she had such joy while skating [Lake Placid JGP]. I hope she gets another chance to get the LP TES because she was so darn close.
I sure hope so too! 2020 Junior Worlds minimums are 23 / 38 (she got the SP min. & had 37.52 TES in her FS at the Lake Placid JGP).

Alcantara, who will turn 14 in January, won the AUS Junior title by almost 14 points (81.48 FS, 130.84 total) and landed a 3Lz cleanly in her FS! After landing her opening 2A+2A seq. she ambitiously went for six triples: 3Lz, 3Lo<+2T<, 3T<, 3S<+1T, then fell out of both 3Lo & 3S<. Coach Karen Preston was with her in Melbourne.

Last edited:

sammyf

I sure hope so too! 2020 Junior Worlds minimums are 23 / 38 (she got the SP min. & had 37.52 TES in her FS at the Lake Placid JGP).

Alcantara, who will turn 14 in January, won the AUS Junior title by almost 14 points (81.48 FS, 130.84 total) and landed a 3Lz cleanly in her FS! After landing her opening 2A+2A seq. she ambitiously went for six triples: 3Lz, 3Lo<+2T<, 3T<, 3S<+1T, then fell out of both 3Lo & 3S<. Coach Karen Preston was with her in Melbourne.
She listed for 67th Grand Prix of Bratislava and Mentor Cup in the next month

misskarne

I'm assuming, then, that the 4CC team will look like this:

Men:
Brendan KERRY
James MIN
Jordan DODDS

Ladies:
Kailani CRAINE

Pairs:
Katia ALEXANDROVSKAYA/Harley WINDSOR (injury recovery pending)

Dance:
Holly HARRIS/Jason CHAN
Chantelle KERRY/Andrew DODDS
Matilda FRIEND/William BADAOUI

By the way, if you haven't watched the FD yet, 10/10 would recommend. It was awesome!

Foolhardy Ham Lint

She listed for 67th Grand Prix of Bratislava and Mentor Cup in the next month

A frustrating competition for Alcantara. She didn't make the free skating TES minimum.

Even though the bigger triples are still very new, the judges gave her under - rotations for each attempt in Bratislava. She and her team only included barely enough content to meet the TES requirement of 38 points. Maybe for her next competition, the Mentor Torun Cup, she should return to the program layout she used at the JGP of Lake Placid. It was only b/c of two popped double lutz jumps there that she didn't make the minimum.

Sylvia

TBD
Hurray, Victoria Alcantara got the 38 TES FS minimum score she needed (her TES was 39.87) in her 7th place finish at Mentor Torun Cup yesterday & now is eligible to compete at 2020 Junior Worlds. :)

Her FS elements from her protocol were:
2Lz
3Lz (+0.59 GOE = 6.49 points)
3S+2T
2F+2T+2Lo
FCSSp4
3S< fall
2A+2A+SEQ
StSq2
2Lo
USpB
FCCoSp4
80.34 total (39.87 TES / 41.47 PCS -1.00)

VERY close in Senior RD in Torun earlier today!
13 Holly HARRIS / Jason CHAN AUS 50.84 29.84 23.00 5.83 5.67 5.42 6.00 5.83 2.00 #10
14 Chantelle KERRY / Andrew DODDS AUS 50.32 27.20 24.12 6.00 5.83 5.75 6.25 6.33 1.00 #12

Last edited:

Sylvia

TBD
Amelia Scarlett JACKSON won the Junior Ladies bronze medal at EduSport Trophy in Romania earlier today and I saw a screen cap on Instagram of MJM's Ross Miner coaching her there. :)

She scored 111.64 total - 8th in SP (34.97), 3rd in FS (76.67 with 38.87 TES). Her Junior SP TES high is 22.66 from last season; the Junior Worlds minimum is 23. She is 18 and in her final season of ISU Junior eligibility.

Dobre

VERY close in Senior RD in Torun earlier today!
13 Holly HARRIS / Jason CHAN AUS 50.84 29.84 23.00 5.83 5.67 5.42 6.00 5.83 2.00 #10
14 Chantelle KERRY / Andrew DODDS AUS 50.32 27.20 24.12 6.00 5.83 5.75 6.25 6.33 1.00 #12

Just watched on replay. Rough day as both teams counted a fall on the twizzles. Harris & Chan also had problem on their partial step. Anyway, it's experience. Better wishes for everyone tomorrow!

Hanna

Skating junkie
This ice dancer Holly Harris is the same girl that used to be on the JGP a few years ago with that absolutely marvelous musicality and carriage, right? :lol: I'm like 98% sure it's her because all the same qualities are still there! I watched their FD from Poland and enjoyed it tons. Hope to see a lot more of them in the future! :)

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
This ice dancer Holly Harris is the same girl that used to be on the JGP a few years ago with that absolutely marvelous musicality and carriage, right? :lol: I'm like 98% sure it's her because all the same qualities are still there! I watched their FD from Poland and enjoyed it tons. Hope to see a lot more of them in the future! :)
Yes that is correct. She switched to ice dance a couple of years ago.

starrynight

Unfortunately due to injury, the team of Alexandrovskaya/Windsor has split.

Harley Windsor posted about this on Instagram and has wished Katia well in her recovery.

Such a shame for a very promising pair.

Harley has said he wants to continue pairs skating so I hope he finds a new partner.

Orm Irian

starrynight, I was just coming to post that. It sounds like Katia's injury means she can't skate any more; it's so sad for her.Harley says he means to carry on training, and will be trying to find a new partner. I wish them both the absolute best, they've already achieved more than anyone thought they would and still have so much to give the world.

starrynight

I guess the silver lining for Katia is that she has a junior world title, a trip to the Olympics and an Australian passport to her name.

But given the opportunities she may have had it’s sad. It’s such a shame when careers get cut short too soon.

I wonder where Harley will get his new partner from? No idea if Russia would be so willing to release another girl.

Orm Irian

There are other countries in the skating world than Russia, and many many girls looking for partners. He might find an adventurous Aussie, or somebody moving on from singles like Anastasia Vaipan-Law might fancy a tour down under (she posted video of herself doing a throw jump on Instagram a while back and it sounded like she was looking to move to pairs).

starrynight

There are other countries in the skating world than Russia, and many many girls looking for partners. He might find an adventurous Aussie, or somebody moving on from singles like Anastasia Vaipan-Law might fancy a tour down under (she posted video of herself doing a throw jump on Instagram a while back and it sounded like she was looking to move to pairs).

Yes, Harley is in a good position to find a partner because there is a clear path the Worlds, Olympics etc as long as they get the TES minimums. That's a decent an incentive for a partner to change countries and fund training etc.

Colonel Green

Yes, Harley is in a good position to find a partner because there is a clear path the Worlds, Olympics etc as long as they get the TES minimums. That's a decent an incentive for a partner to change countries and fund training etc.
Indeed, even if Russia was harder to recruit a partner from (which, honestly, I'm not sure I would expect; they release athletes to small feds with some regularity), I have to imagine there'd be a lot of North American ladies eager to join the queue.

mag

Indeed, even if Russia was harder to recruit a partner from (which, honestly, I'm not sure I would expect; they release athletes to small feds with some regularity), I have to imagine there'd be a lot of North American ladies eager to join the queue.

I believe the Russian connection was through his former coaches who specifically wanted a Russian partner for him. I suspect now he will be searching further a field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information