Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Assuming it actually happens, I'm curious as to the venue. None of the rinks have the necessary facilities to host a major championship so I assume it will be one of the entertainment venues. Also, do they need to have a host broadcaster?

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
Assuming it actually happens, I'm curious as to the venue. None of the rinks have the necessary facilities to host a major championship so I assume it will be one of the entertainment venues. Also, do they need to have a host broadcaster?
That would have all been looked at in the bid. I am pretty sure that they will be putting a sheet of ice into a large venue.

I daresay there will be some government funding too because it will treated as an event to bring in tourists.

Orm Irian

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
The first time I was in Adelaide was at the beginning of March: is February that much worse? The wine there is so, so good, and I also visited a place that made the best olive oil I've ever had. I wept buckets when I used the 8th and last bottle :fragile:.

greenapple

That would have all been looked at in the bid. I am pretty sure that they will be putting a sheet of ice into a large venue.

I daresay there will be some government funding too because it will treated as an event to bring in tourists.
That will be amazing if the government kicks in cash. With the current, forward-thinking leadership at ISA I am confident also that they have all their ducks in a row, particularly when it comes to a host broadcaster. They definitely won't be repeating the ego driven debacle of 2000.

Orm Irian

The first time I was in Adelaide was at the beginning of March: is February that much worse? The wine there is so, so good, and I also visited a place that made the best olive oil I've ever had. I wept buckets when I used the 8th and last bottle :fragile:.

Well, this past summer our top temperature (in the last week of January) was 46.6C and the first half of February wasn't much better. It's always been our hottest month on average, and climate change is just making the heat worse. And changing weather patterns have added humidity that's drawn down from the north, so it's worse in another way too.

But yes, we do have good wine, and good food in general (unfortunately the Central Markets are not air-conditioned, though). If you can remember the place where you got the olive oil, look it up - you might be able to order it online these days.

Aussie Willy

Come to Hobart. It gets a bit warm but you might only have a couple of stinking hot days. I can be a tour guide.

Aussie Willy

BTW - I just found out and posted on ISA's FB page that it will be held at Sydney's Olympic Park.

Just a promotional thing. Do Like the Ice Skating Australia Facebook page. A lot information will be coming out via that.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I hope they jagged the trains direct to and from the city for the event! That would be helpful with numbers!

Sylvia

TBD
Copying over what I posted yesterday in the Retirements thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...team-ahead-2019-20.105487/page-2#post-5603564

2014 Australian Olympian Brooklee Han wrote about her retirement today [July 1] on Twitter (https://twitter.com/brookleeh95/status/1145645843527196672) and IG and thanked the many people who helped her throughout her career: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzXwpy-Hca-/
Excerpt:
I have been incredibly blessed to have spent the past nine years traveling the world doing something I truly love, and to have realized my childhood dream of becoming an Olympian. That being said, I did not achieve all of these things by myself. For nearly two decades now the majority of my incredible support system has remained unseen, so if you’ll bear with me a minute, I’d like to thank a few (dozen) people who helped and supported me throughout this incredible journey. ...
Last, but certainly not least, I want to thank my mum and dad, for encouraging me from a young age to dream big, for teaching me the importance of hard work and for doing everything they could to help their ambitious six year old, who fell in love with figure skating and told them she was going to the Olympics, to achieve her dreams.
It's always unfortunate when an athlete's final competition ends with a serious injury (ruptured Achilles tendon at 2019 4CC), but I'm glad she got to experience the Olympics & Worlds. She he's been taking ice dance tests with Logan Giulietti-Schmitt, according to this recent IG post, so it's good to see she is still setting goals and attaining them on the ice. :)

J

Jeschke

Ah, it's very sad Brooklee had to end her career with an injury.
On a bright note, I really liked her SP the last season, she totally lived up and sold the hell outta it.
Brooklee always seemed very determined and never gave up during the struggling years, even not in the days she seemed to be overrun by Craine. I was really happy for her giving Kailani a run for her money in the end again.

Farewell Brooklee.

Marco

Brooklee represented Australia well and she and Kailani pushed each other for the past couple of years. Now Kailani's world spot is even more secure.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Brooklee represented Australia well and she and Kailani pushed each other for the past couple of years. Now Kailani's world spot is even more secure.

Han was really coming back to form last season. Her actual performances at the 2018/19 Australian Championships were a lot closer to Craine in person, than is indicated on paper, too.

Australia may not have another senior lady on the same level as Craine, yet. But there is a solid handful of athletes at the junior level with good potential. It will be interesting to see which of them are selected to compete on the Junior Grand Prix Circuit this season.

Also, New Zealand has a rising star with all of the triples up to the lutz. Jocelyn Hong, who skates under similar conditions to Han, trains in the United States for most of the year, too.

Last edited:

Marco

Besides Jo who was often injured, none of the recent Aussie Olympians stayed that long or made enough impact to inspire the younger generation to take up the sport. Figure skating appears on the scene once every four years and then quickly gets forgotten.

I am glad there are some promising juniors. A Yuna Kim would be great, but seriously a Elena Liashenko would be wonderful too.

Dobre

There is no precise threshold for what it takes to inspire the next generation. Brendan has been at 4CCs for 9 seasons and at Worlds 6. He is a hot mess like a great many men, but he also has some great moments; and it is no small thing to have lasted through the difficulty shift in the men's field over the last few seasons. I would imagine he has inspired others and that other athletes like Alexandrovskaya & Windsor and Craine have as well.

And, honestly, not only in Australia. It is something for all the athletes from other countries to look and see that Australia is building a program, not only a single athlete but competing in all four disciplines. Striving to qualify for the Olympic team event. Kudos for that.

Dobre

Not familiar with any Aussie dance team at the moment...

Which is not surprising as they are just getting started on the road. But Kerry & Dodds have earned their Worlds minimums for the past two seasons. And Friend & Badaoui have had their 4CC ones for the past four. It's a start.

-I'm crossing my fingers that Holly Harris & Logan Bye might really team up as I would love to see them both continue skating, and they were rumored to be trying out early this off-season; but we've not heard anything since so I'd guess it's as likely that it will not happen as that it might.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Senior men up from the junior division to watch out for include James Min (who has a secure triple axel now), Darian Kaptich, and Charlton Doherty. Sam Gillard from NSW just passed his senior test, so he could potentially be in the mix as well.

Junior ladies include Victoria Alcantara, Amelie Tabor, Cailin O'Keefe, Madalyn Cherry, and Corina Ormston.

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
Kerry/Dodds have decent potential, though I think at this point Andrew really needs to focus on dance and ditch singles.

But I mean...why would he? He's still the National silver medallist, and he just earned his best-ever SP score at 4CC. He's skating even better as a singles skater than he ever has, and he and Chantelle are improving with each outing as dancers.

If he wants to choose then he should choose, but I don't like the idea of forcing him to give up one or the other when it's obvious that he's more than good enough to do both.

Colonel Green

But I mean...why would he? He's still the National silver medallist, and he just earned his best-ever SP score at 4CC. He's skating even better as a singles skater than he ever has, and he and Chantelle are improving with each outing as dancers.

If he wants to choose then he should choose, but I don't like the idea of forcing him to give up one or the other when it's obvious that he's more than good enough to do both.
It's just my opinion that he and Chantelle would be able to do even better if they were focused full-time on dance, and at this point clearly dance is their ticket to the Olympics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information