Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

starrynight

Exciting that Australia has officially bid for 2021 4CC.

I think it would be just awesome and be such a welcome break for the skaters stuck in Montreal deep freezing winters to come to Australia and get some sun and warm weather.

I hope the bid gets some momentum so we can try to share around skating throughout the world.

The attendance at the JGP in Brisbane was great. During the day (especially during the ladies) it was standing room only because all the seats were taken.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I'm guessing it'll be somewhere like Acer Arena (or whatever it's called now) at the Olympic Park?

I think it would be great.

But with China in the mix I can't see us winning. *gloomy sigh*

Karen-W

Checking Senior Bs for TES mins...
I'm guessing it'll be somewhere like Acer Arena (or whatever it's called now) at the Olympic Park?

I think it would be great.

But with China in the mix I can't see us winning. *gloomy sigh*
It could be that China is given the GPF in 2020.

starrynight

I know I'm totally biased, but I think that if the profile of skating is going to be expanded, it does help to get competitions in different parts of the world. There have been a heap of skating competitions in China ... lets spread it around.

Seerek

I mentioned in a prior thread that it's been the custom to have an Olympic Test Event the season prior to the Olympics, usually 4CC or Europeans. In the case of Beijing, Grand Prix Final or World Juniors are still to be allocated, and it isn't clear if Cup of China is reinstated as early as next season.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Correct me if I am misinterpreting this post. But, it makes no sense to demolish an Olympic sized rink (that has recently been renovated) to build a new one.
I think it's the entire complex that's being redeveloped, not just the rink?
Yes, @Orm Irian is correct. From what I could see from the plans, I think they're planning to bulldoze the old part of the shopping centre (leaving the new addition open) and rebuild, and that would include the rink as part of the existing complex. But yes, it would probably have been good if the rink owner had known about those plans before planning the renovations.
I was surprised it was Sydney bidding as I couldn't work out where they would hold it. I've not been to Acer Arena, so can't really comment but I thought there needed to be practice rinks within reasonable proximity. Taking into account traffic congestion neither Canterbury nor Macquarie are really that close to Homebush (Olympic Park) in practical terms.

Last edited:

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
I was surprised it was Sydney bidding as I couldn't work out where they would hold it. I've not been to Acer Arena, so can't really comment but I thought there needed to be practice rinks within reasonable proximity. Taking into account traffic congestion neither Canterbury nor Macquarie are really that close to Homebush (Olympic Park) in practical terms.

It's called Qudos Bank Arena now apparently. Oy I can't keep up.

24 minutes to Canterbury according to Google Maps, 23 minutes to Macquarie, 40 to Ice Zoo. Granted I'm checking these times on a public holiday where most things are closed, but I wouldn't think half an hour to the practice rink would be considered prohibitive. The distance between the Honda Centre and the practice rink in Anaheim was pretty big and took a while to get between.

If they could persuade Sydney trains to run the train from Central to Olympic Park direct for the event it would be enormously helpful to the bid, because then people could stay in the city proper and you could link it with all the touristy stuff. But I don't know what the usual requirements are for that.

nimi

I mentioned in a prior thread that it's been the custom to have an Olympic Test Event the season prior to the Olympics, usually 4CC or Europeans. In the case of Beijing, Grand Prix Final or World Juniors are still to be allocated, and it isn't clear if Cup of China is reinstated as early as next season.
They already announced that the GPF will be held in Beijing Dec 10-13, 2020. Sounds like an Olympic Test Event to me.

Links: the relevant ISU communication, ISU press release & this thread: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...-20-and-provisional-dates-for-2020-21.105456/

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
24 minutes to Canterbury according to Google Maps, 23 minutes to Macquarie, 40 to Ice Zoo. Granted I'm checking these times on a public holiday where most things are closed, but I wouldn't think half an hour to the practice rink would be considered prohibitive.
Those are probably viable times for a few hours in the middle of the day or a Sunday, but potentially could as much as double during peak times, particularly to Macquarie. Agree it would be better if they could get Transport NSW to run a train service for the period of the event.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Those are probably viable times for a few hours in the middle of the day or a Sunday, but potentially could as much as double during peak times, particularly to Macquarie. Agree it would be better if they could get Transport NSW to run a train service for the period of the event.

It was a struggle when Macquarie University Station was closed during last year's national championships. A direct train from Central was replaced with two buses, and a lot of faffing around between connections.

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
It was a struggle when Macquarie University Station was closed during last year's national championships. A direct train from Central was replaced with two buses, and a lot of faffing around between connections.
I work near there. We can't wait for the train line to re-open (hopefully in May, but no confirmed date yet).

Sylvia

TBD
Brooklee Han has posted on Instagram that she ruptured her Achilles on practice [before 4CC FS]! Yikes that is serious!
(direct link added) https://www.instagram.com/p/Btq8We0HTyB/
An encouraging update from Brooklee Han on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/p/BwuvGznFSJ-/
And on Twitter: https://twitter.com/brookleeh95/status/1121865511636230144
Excerpt from the beginning (she included video):
Today marks 10 weeks since I had surgery to repair my left Achilles’ tendon, which I completely ruptured earlier this year at Four Continents. This past week I was allowed back on the ice for some basic skating (and by basic, I mean doing rockers, counters and choctaws is a BIG DEAL). It has been so incredible to be back on the ice these past couple of days.

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Glad to hear that Han is on the mend. Her skating really improved at the National Championships in Sydney last year, and if she hadn't missed the combo in the short program and fallen twice in the free, the final result between her and Craine would have been a lot closer.

I wonder if Kailani will continue through to Beijing, after her rocky outings at Four Continents and Worlds?

Last edited:

Foolhardy Ham Lint

I was really impressed with the standard of novice skating, particularly in the advanced category, at the national championships last year. There are some very talented skaters at that level coming up through the ranks in Australia.

Too bad the competition is from Wednesday to Friday, right in the middle of the day. It would have been fun to check
out.

I have to say, the ISA site is a bit of a disaster to look at and navigate.

Last edited:

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
No offence taken :). Always looking for feedback and things can be improved but there is a process for it which I explained in the PM.

Sylvia

TBD
Also Misha Ge is coming out for the coaches seminar and will be performing on the Friday after the event around 4pm.
Thanks! Misha sure gets around, as we all know! :) He skated in New York City earlier this month and the link to a fan cam of his well-received, lyrical performance is posted here: https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...shows-2019-edition.105447/page-2#post-5581905

Glad to see James Min also is listed to perform in the gala.

Competition thread for this ISU novice international (final comp. of the 2018-19 season!): https://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/th...minar-may-15-19-2019-in-melbourne-aus.105573/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information