Australian skating news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylvia

TBD
Alexandrovskaya/Windsor WON the Tallinn JGP for Australia!
Here's their GOLD medal winning free skate to the W.E. film soundtrack by Abel Korzeniowski (102.28, 1st): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZLRAbIhHjg

ETA:

Aboriginal figure skater and his unlikely partner take on the world (published September 3, 2016):
"What are the odds of a young man from Rooty Hill with Aboriginal heritage becoming a world-class Pairs figure skater, and doing so with a 16-year-old from Moscow?"
http://www.burwoodscene.com.au/2016/09/aboriginal-figure-skater-unlikely-partner-take-world/

Last edited:

Chemistry66

They have a chance but Mishima/Mirzoev and DUskova/Bidar already have 15 pat from their first event; and Ustimkina/Volodin and Boikova/Kozlovski can finish as low as 5th and still qualify ahead of them.

Oh, definitely it's a low chance but it's exciting that there's even potential!

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround

misskarne

Handy Emergency Backup Mode
^Of all the weekends for this to happen, this one was not ideal, nor is next weekend ideal if they pull off awesomeness at Finlandia. Still, I have some hope. Maybe they'll get picked up by WWOS tomorrow (unlikely) or Back Page on Fox Sports (probably also not likely but we can hope right?).

EDIT: I love how Ekaterina describes how she immediately fell in love with Australia.

misskarne

The Good Pairs Weekend continues: Paris and Matthew got their 4CC TES minimum for the free skate! Now all they have to do is get the one for the SP. Last time I checked they were only two points off. Can you imagine?! Two pairs for Australia at Four Continents! :biggrinbo

But I hope Andrew isn't too badly hurt. He looked in so much pain after his skate :fragile:

misskarne

Okay, this is the summary update off the top of my head of who has minimums for 4CC and the sort of team we could send.

MEN
Brendan Kerry
Andrew Dodds
Jordan Dodds

LADIES
Kailani Craine
Brooklee Han
Katie Pasfield
Chantelle Kerry - SP only

DANCE
Matilda Friend/William Badaoui

PAIRS
Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds (FS only, short on SP score by 0.34 points)
(Ekaterina Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor - assigned to Finlandia next week)

insideedgeua

No doubt the newer pair of Katia and Harely will get the score. It would be great if the other pair could get the other score too.

It would be good to see a country go from no pairs to two pairs.

misskarne

Oh yes, I don't doubt that Katia and Harley will get it. And Paris and Matthew are so close...just a few tenths more in the SP...

It's very exciting! :cheer:

oubik

Okay, this is the summary update off the top of my head of who has minimums for 4CC and the sort of team we could send.

LADIES
Kailani Craine
Brooklee Han
Katie Pasfield
Chantelle Kerry - SP only

Isn't Chantelle switched to Dance currently?

Sylvia

TBD
^^^ Yes, according to @sammyf's 8/31 list earlier in his thread:
Senior Dance
Chantelle Kerry/Edvinas Aoitionok: New Team, Upcoming Events -NSW State Champs
ETA: However, they did not compete at NSW State Champs this past weekend -- results for the 3 Sr. dance teams: http://www.nswisa.com/results/live/CAT157RS.HTM

Kailani Craine landed 3F+3Lo in the SP (55.21): http://www.nswisa.com/results/live/NSWFSC_SeniorLadies_SP_Scores.pdf
She was credited with 4 clean triples in the FS (95.56): http://www.nswisa.com/results/live/NSWFSC_SeniorLadies_FS_Scores.pdf

Last edited:

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Well, it's official. Katia and Harley got TES of 31.27 in the SP and 50.28 in the FS at Finlandia. They have the required scores for not just 4CC, but for Worlds as well!
Fabulous news! Hopefully Australia will have skaters in three events at Worlds.

hanca

Values her privacy
Watching Rotondo/Dodds, I am wondering whether it wouldn't be better to split this pair and rematch them with someone physically more suitable. Jessica seems to be too tall for Ryan. If they were really good pair skaters, they might be able to overcome the lack of height difference, but at the moment all odds are against them. And he is 20, so he won't grow any more, whereas she still may. They could be both really good pair skaters if he was skating with some little tiny girl and she skated with someone very tall and well built.

Foolhardy Ham Lint

Watching Rotondo/Dodds, I am wondering whether it wouldn't be better to split this pair and rematch them with someone physically more suitable. Jessica seems to be too tall for Ryan. If they were really good pair skaters, they might be able to overcome the lack of height difference, but at the moment all odds are against them. And he is 20, so he won't grow any more, whereas she still may. They could be both really good pair skaters if he was skating with some little tiny girl and she skated with someone very tall and well built.

There are so many variables attached to creating a great pair team.

There are about a dozen girls in Australia at the national novice level with double axels and triple jumps. But you never know if they'll grow too tall for a partner once they hit puberty, and if they do, whether the jumps or the interest will still be there.

Harley Windsor's story is a good example of his coaches, recognising his potential and wanting to keep him in the sport, going to the opposite end of the earth to find the right match.

Ryan, like his brother Jordan used to, does double duty in the senior men's division as well.

insideedgeua

I will have to look at your national results this year. I didn't know there were so many with double axels.

Aussie Willy

Hates both vegemite and peanut butter
There are about a dozen girls in Australia at the national novice level with double axels and triple jumps. But you never know if they'll grow too tall for a partner once they hit puberty, and if they do, whether the jumps or the interest will still be there.
Sorry but while a few have double axels there are not many getting the triples. Definitely not a dozen.

hanca

Values her privacy
Dozen is not needed. Dodds can't skate with dozen anyway. Is there one, that has the jumps and looks very tiny? Dodds needs a girl that is not likely to grow very much because he is not very tall for pairs.

SamuraiK

misskarne

^Mark's ISU bio hadn't been updated when I made the list, so I didn't realise.

This will make Nationals very interesting. Four does not go into three...

Sylvia

TBD
Brendan Kerry skated SP only at the Southern California Interclub Invitational last weekend (with Tammy Gambill's 2 other Senior men) and I heard he scored ~69 points and his jumps were 4T, 3Lz+3T & 2nd half 3A (fall).

misskarne

Brendan is such a star and is gradually putting it all together.

I really like his fight. The last couple of years he's really toughened that aspect of his skating up. I am hoping that his technical ambition from the start of the year is fulfilled! I'd give a lot to see him go clean with a two-quad short and three-quad free!

Bunny Hop

Queen of the Workaround
Channel 7 news report (made a commercial channel - wow!) filmed at Canterbury Ice Rink : https://au.news.yahoo.com/video/wat...ghts-on-winter-olympics-in-south-korea/#page1

There was also an Australian Nationals related story on ABC News 24 one morning earlier this week. I only caught the last 30-45 seconds of it so not sure of the details and can't find it online. It focused on a skater whose name was Georgia(??) and was filmed at the rink in Melbourne. She was getting the reporter to try some spins, with predictable results (although full credit to him for trying - he apparently had done some inline skating so his balance was okay).

Sylvia

TBD
Katia Alexandrovskaya/Harley Windsor pre-Nationals article in The Australian: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...n/news-story/b49fcdffcd2d73bfc72df532bd269bd2
They are now on track for the next Winter Olympics, in South Korea in 2018, as long as the Immigration Department obliges by granting her a visa and ultimately citizenship. <snip> ...
They are meeting today with an immigration lawyer recommended by the Australian Olympic Committee to begin the process of applying for a Distinguished Talent Visa so Alexandrovskaya can stay in Australia.
A/W skated a very good SP (60.11) with 3twist, sbs 3T and landed throw 3Lz (new element for them) successfully in both programs (92.93 in FS, 153.04 total) to win their first Senior Pairs national title over Paris Stephens/Matthew Dodds.

ETA link to Alexandrovskaya/Windsor's SP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjMrIzFs9JE

Last edited:

kwanfan1818

RIP D-10
Brendan Kerry will vie for the overall Challenger Series podium at Golden Spin. He scored 222.4 at USIFS and needs 222.47 to surpass Aaron. (Petrov is almost certain to pass Aaron and Kerry in Zagreb.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information