Ashley Wagner has joined the coaching staff at the Skating Club of Boston

Sylvia

TBD
Are there any new tidbits/details from the Globe article (for those of us who don't have access)?
I doubt there are any direct quotes from her since she is in Shanghai right now for Stars on Ice. Her coaching bio at SCOB is referenced but I can't see the entire article. Hopefully someone who can read it will let us know.
So this means retirement for Ashley?
Not necessarily because she is still listed in USFS' Team B envelope and ISP on their website.

Cachoo

I know she grew up in a military family and trained with John Nicks (who could stop nonsense with a look) and I suspect she will not tolerate much foolishness when she is coaching. I like the idea of Ashley just glancing at a student a certain way and getting her point across to him or her. I wish her the very best whatever she does from here on out.

Japanfan

Her bio reads very past tense in terms of potentially continuing.

If she's moving into coaching, she would not be competing. I can't think of any skater who coached and competed at the same time.

So this means retirement for Ashley?

So it would seem. She's had a good run of it as an competitor.

Wishing her all the best!

Yehudi

AITA
If she's moving into coaching, she would not be competing. I can't think of any skater who coached and competed at the same time.

So it would seem. She's had a good run of it as an competitor.

Wishing her all the best!

It depends on the type of students she’s taking. Lots of skaters coach beginners to help pay for training and are even listed on the club sites. Daniel Eaton for example.

Bonita

Lots of skaters at SCOB have also competed while coaching. Ross Miner has been coaching for years.

My dance coach teaches there and told me about this a few weeks ago. Hopefully Ashley will like it there. Very crowded sessions on lower test levels and the rink is below hockey rink size.

snoopysnake

Great to have you in Boston, Ashley! I hope you will skate in the local shows and I look forward to seeing your students in them!

Japanfan

LOTS of skaters coach while they are still competing. It's how many of them pay for their own training. Grant Hochstein, for example, has been coaching for several years, as has Caroline Zhang.

I know that. And Nam Nguyen as well. He said in an interview that he started coaching because he parents told him it was time for him to pay for his skating.

I guess of think of Ashley as 'all in', whatever she is doing. And my perception - which could be wrong - is that she is done with competing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information