Anyone watching NCAA Football?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It's that time of the year. Bowl games. My alma mater Texas Tech lost yesterday. I am now watching Alabama vs Michigan State (Semifinals). Couldn't watch the earlier semifinal game because I was at work.

My other alma mater Kansas State probably didn't make it to a bowl game. Will check on that.

I am rooting for Clemson to win the national title. It's not one of the usual teams. That's refreshing.

Who are you rooting for ?

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I'm a Clemson alum and this year has been a dream! Flight is booked for Phoenix and I've got a week to find a game ticket... Win or lose, I love this team and couldn't be prouder to be a Tiger.

I wish I could help you get a ticket to the game, but if you need information about Phoenix or Glendale, I will be glad to help.

OlieRow

I wish I could help you get a ticket to the game, but if you need information about Phoenix or Glendale, I will be glad to help.

I've got some leads on tickets so not too worried. Knowing they started to go down after New Years weekend last year, I'm going to give it a few more days. Any can't miss places to eat? Or Phoenix suburbs you'd recommend for hotels? I have one booked in the Happy Valley area which I booked because it was refundable. It looked like a relatively straight-forward trip down 101 to get to the stadium.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I've got some leads on tickets so not too worried. Knowing they started to go down after New Years weekend last year, I'm going to give it a few more days. Any can't miss places to eat? Or Phoenix suburbs you'd recommend for hotels? I have one booked in the Happy Valley area which I booked because it was refundable. It looked like a relatively straight-forward trip down 101 to get to the stadium.

I think you will be OK with Happy Valley if the hotel is close to the highway (loop 101, Bethany Home Road exit for the UOP stadium). There are hotels that are close to the Coyotes Hockey arena (just one exit away). There is Renaissance (expensive) or Hampton Inn (less expensive) and others within 5 miles. Quite possibly the ones close to the arena/stadium are sold out.

If you are going there a few days before the game, you may want to take a tour of the UOP stadium. I took one last weekend and it was pretty good. You can find the dates and tour times on their website.

One exit north of the UOP stadium (Glendale Exit) there is Westgate Shopping center. Actually it's almost walking distance from UOP stadium. There are many restaurants there. Only a limited number of shops though. However, there are shops near the AMC theatres that are in the same area. I was there just last weekend. There is a Yard House, a Greek restaurant (I went there last weekend but can't remember the name), a Japanese, and many others. If you want to eat Mexican food, there are many Mexican restaurants in all parts of the Phoenix metro area. My favorite is Macayo's - there are several of these in the valley. A friend recently told me that there is a good Mexican restaurant on 35th avenue, close to the highway (I don't remember if she said I 17 or loop 101, but I can find out).

If you have the time, and if the weather is clear, I recommend visiting Sedona for at least one day, and if you have not been to the Grand Canyon, this could be your opportunity. However, the weather is unpredictable at this time of the year and there could be snow/ice on the mountain passes, so I would caution you about going there unless the weather is clear.

If you want activity, central Phoenix is the place to be (unless you want to go as far as Tempe which is nice, but then it's a very long drive to the stadium). From Central Phoenix, it's an approx. 15 miles drive to the UOP stadium, and traffic can get congested on game days, but there may be better options for hotels there, if you don't want to stay in Happy Valley. It depends on how much time you want to spend away from UOP stadium. If you are going there just for game day, it may not matter if you are in central Phoenix (very nice, full of activity) or Happy Valley (quiet, natural surroundings). If you want to stay for several days, perhaps central Phoenix is better. There could be buses to go to the game, so you don't have to deal with the messy parking conditions at the stadium.

In central Phoenix, there is a Hard Rock Cafe' across from the Suns arena. Majerle's is pretty good (sports bar) as well as Hyatt's restaurants have good food. If you want to eat Mexican food, there are many places.

I don't know how the weather is where you are, but it's gorgeous here right now. I hope you will enjoy your visit and Go Clemson Tigers!

OlieRow

I think you will be OK with Happy Valley if the hotel is close to the highway (loop 101, Bethany Home Road exit for the UOP stadium). There are hotels that are close to the Coyotes Hockey arena (just one exit away). There is Renaissance (expensive) or Hampton Inn (less expensive) and others within 5 miles. Quite possibly the ones close to the arena/stadium are sold out.

If you are going there a few days before the game, you may want to take a tour of the UOP stadium. I took one last weekend and it was pretty good. You can find the dates and tour times on their website.

One exit north of the UOP stadium (Glendale Exit) there is Westgate Shopping center. Actually it's almost walking distance from UOP stadium. There are many restaurants there. Only a limited number of shops though. However, there are shops near the AMC theatres that are in the same area. I was there just last weekend. There is a Yard House, a Greek restaurant (I went there last weekend but can't remember the name), a Japanese, and many others. If you want to eat Mexican food, there are many Mexican restaurants in all parts of the Phoenix metro area. My favorite is Macayo's - there are several of these in the valley. A friend recently told me that there is a good Mexican restaurant on 35th avenue, close to the highway (I don't remember if she said I 17 or loop 101, but I can find out).

If you have the time, and if the weather is clear, I recommend visiting Sedona for at least one day, and if you have not been to the Grand Canyon, this could be your opportunity. However, the weather is unpredictable at this time of the year and there could be snow/ice on the mountain passes, so I would caution you about going there unless the weather is clear.

If you want activity, central Phoenix is the place to be (unless you want to go as far as Tempe which is nice, but then it's a very long drive to the stadium). From Central Phoenix, it's an approx. 15 miles drive to the UOP stadium, and traffic can get congested on game days, but there may be better options for hotels there, if you don't want to stay in Happy Valley. It depends on how much time you want to spend away from UOP stadium. If you are going there just for game day, it may not matter if you are in central Phoenix (very nice, full of activity) or Happy Valley (quiet, natural surroundings). If you want to stay for several days, perhaps central Phoenix is better. There could be buses to go to the game, so you don't have to deal with the messy parking conditions at the stadium.

In central Phoenix, there is a Hard Rock Cafe' across from the Suns arena. Majerle's is pretty good (sports bar) as well as Hyatt's restaurants have good food. If you want to eat Mexican food, there are many places.

I don't know how the weather is where you are, but it's gorgeous here right now. I hope you will enjoy your visit and Go Clemson Tigers!

Yes, the hotel is right on the interstate. I booked it before I knew if we'd be going and a lot of the hotels closer in were non-refundable.

I've done Sedona and the Grand Canyon - spent a month working in Tuba City and hit up a ton of National Parks in our free time - but not sure my dad has. Hadn't thought of that... Pretty sure we'll do the stadium tour, I think he'd like that. Maybe we'll get a photo-op on/by the field?

Not looking forward to the cold but I figure I'll bust out my never been worn Clemson letter jacket. Seems like an appropriate occasion!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rob

Beach Bum
My team used to be in the ACC and Clemson used to beat us a lot so I have a hard time rooting for Clemson, but I am so tired of the Crimson Tide. So Clemson it is! Go Tigers!

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
I am also tired of the Crimson Tide. It will be nice to have a new champion.

Reactions: Rob

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Yesterday I went to the NHL Coyotes game at the arena close to the UOP stadium. There was a lot if excitement at the nearby shops, with t shirts and other souvenirs of Clemson and Alabama. I bought a 2016 National championship t shirt with both teams names on it. Lots of people around, many from out of town and of course many Coyotes fans. It was great to feel the championship atmosphere.

Since Wed. We have been seeing warnings on highways about heavy traffic leading to the game and to allow more time.

Olierow, do you have the game tickets now? Enjoy the game.

Yehudi

AITA
God, if only the filmroom had a full screen. That is by far the best channel on the megacast.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
It was a great game but disappointing result. I am sick of seeing Alabama win the national title. Hopefully next year someone can beat them. Hopefully it will be either Clemson or one of my schools.

Clemson lost it due to two special teams plays- the on side kick and the long KO return late in the 4th Q. They also gave up too many big plays in the 4th Q. However, they have a lot to be proud of. They have a fantastic Quarterback, and their defense played great. They had a great year, and I hope they will be ranked #2 in the country, instead of dropping to 4 like they usually do the losers of the championship game. Not many teams can score 40 points against Alabama and not many teams could stop Alabama's running game with the Heisman winner. They do need to improve their special teams if they want to win the championship.

OlieRow

Tough loss but so glad I made the trip! I was disappointed in the score (and our special teams......) but so proud of how they fought and the entire season they've had. Screw the talking head on ESPN saying they needed to win to validate their season! It was absolutely incredible to see so much orange everywhere I turned and I'm so proud to be a Tiger! It really hit me as I was coming home yesterday and saw countless Clemson fans lined up at their gates leaving PHX for various places and more so in Chicago where there were dots of orange at gates scattering literally across the country.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
Tough loss but so glad I made the trip! I was disappointed in the score (and our special teams......) but so proud of how they fought and the entire season they've had. Screw the talking head on ESPN saying they needed to win to validate their season! It was absolutely incredible to see so much orange everywhere I turned and I'm so proud to be a Tiger! It really hit me as I was coming home yesterday and saw countless Clemson fans lined up at their gates leaving PHX for various places and more so in Chicago where there were dots of orange at gates scattering literally across the country.

Glad to hear you had a good trip, Olierow, despite the loss. You can be proud of how your team fought back till the last minute. If it's any consolation, for the next season, Clemson is ranked #1 over Alabama #2. I will keep my eye on how Clemson does next season. They were the surprise team this year. I almost bought myself Clemson earrings at a sports shop in Westgate. Their colors are the same as our Phoenix Suns- orange and purple. I bought a national championship t- shirt instead and wore it while watching the game on TV.

Cachoo

That is ridiculous. Winning the conference, making it to the final game, giving the nation such an exciting, close game and giving us someone not named 'Bama to root for oozes validation to me. My team is the Jayhawks and you don't want to know about the Jayhawks in football; it's just sad. So it is nice to see another team making those strides.

Vash01

Fan of Yuzuru, T&M, P&C
That is ridiculous. Winning the conference, making it to the final game, giving the nation such an exciting, close game and giving us someone not named 'Bama to root for oozes validation to me. My team is the Jayhawks and you don't want to know about the Jayhawks in football; it's just sad. So it is nice to see another team making those strides.

I didn't know you were a Jayhawks fan. I am a Kansas State's Wildcats' fan (one of my former schools). So we are enemies? :lol: Just kidding.

Clemson had an unbeaten season until the last quarter of the championship game! ESPN talking heads are bone heads at times.

Cachoo

I didn't know you were a Jayhawks fan. I am a Kansas State's Wildcats' fan (one of my former schools). So we are enemies? :lol: Just kidding.

Clemson had an unbeaten season until the last quarter of the championship game! ESPN talking heads are bone heads at times.

Actually, I have a different take on K-State than some KU fans. First I never attended KU. I went to a small university in the state. Since I live in Kansas and grew up seeing both KU and K-State football teams squashed like bugs under Nebraska and Oklahoma heels, I tend to cheer for any gain for either school. So I think Bill Snyder is a Godsend. And as you know, we tend to wait for hoops season around here. But K-State has given us (Kansas residents) a lot of reason to cheer during football season. And I actually went to a small NAIA school, where I became hooked on basketball and transferred my loyalty to KU after I could no longer see my little school play. At the time I started watching KU a boy I went to high school with was on the team. And the man who is now the head coach at Maryland was another player I liked because he was unrecruited and he had the balls to tell the coach he thought he could play on the team. After that I was hooked. So I don't have that K-State hate at all. I just happen to be crazy about basketball and KU caught my eye.
Vash--I always see you as very cosmopolitan. I think you must have an interesting history indeed whether I'm right or whether I'm way off the mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information